Union sues Haley over Boeing plant remarks

COLUMBIA --- South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley is facing her first big lawsuit after saying the state would try to keep unions out of the Boeing Inc. plant in North Charleston.

The lawsuit filed Thursday in U.S. District Court in Charleston by the International Association of Machinists and AFL-CIO asked for a court order telling Haley and her director of the Department of Labor, Licensing and Regulation to butt out and remain neutral in matters concerning union activities.

"There's no secret I don't like the unions," Haley said when asked about the litigation. "We are a right-to-work state. I will do everything I can to defend the fact we are a right-to-work state. We are pro-business by nature. I want us to continue to be pro-business. If they don't like what I said, I'm sorry, that's how I feel."

The lawsuit came after remarks Haley made last month as she nominated Catherine Templeton to run the state's labor agency. She said Templeton's union-fighting background would be helpful in state fights against the labor groups, particularly at Boeing.

"We're going to fight the unions and I needed a partner to help me do it. She's the right person to help me do it," Haley said at the time.

For her part, Templeton said: "In my experience I have found there is not one company that operates more efficiently when you put another layer of bureaucracy in. ... We will do everything we can to work with Boeing and make sure that their work force is taken care of, that they run efficiently and that we don't add anything unnecessarily."

The lawsuit said their actions, "taken under the color of state law, intimidate and coerce workers so that they are compelled to refrain from joining or supporting labor organizations."

Machinists union spokesman Frank Larkin told The Associated Press the lawsuit is an attempt to make sure workers' constitutionally protected rights aren't harmed by South Carolina's governor. Larkin hadn't seen another governor be so plainspoken.

"This is practically unprecedented for a state to be so clear and so overt," Larkin said.

If "the machinists are offended that the governor doesn't think unions are a good thing in South Carolina, they're just going to have to get used to it," Haley spokesman Rob Godfrey said.

Meanwhile, the National Labor Relations Board has threatened a federal lawsuit against South Carolina, Arizona, South Dakota and Utah over constitutional amendments guaranteeing secret-ballot union elections. Unions want to also be able to organize workers through signature drives.

Templeton was confirmed by the state Senate last week. But during her confirmation hearing, state Sen. Robert Ford asked her whether she had orders to crack down on labor unions. The Democrat represents the Charleston district where the Boeing plant is being built.

"But you don't have no mandate from nobody that we're not going to let no labor union exist at Boeing?" Ford asked.

"No, sir. Of course not. We don't have the authority to do that," Templeton said.

Ford said Thursday he took that as assurance that Haley was just playing to manufacturing and business groups and not overstepping her authority.

South Carolina's anti-union reputation was key to the 2009 decision by Chicago-based Boeing to expand its assembly operation here.

"There's no secret I don't like the unions," Gov. Nikki Haley responded.

Insurance chief

Gov. Nikki Haley on Thursday picked David Black, 53, of Greenville, who was the former chief executive officer of a U.S. subsidiary of the Royal Bank of Canada, to lead South Carolina's insurance agency, saying insurance is key to economic development.

-- Associated Press

Insider Information
Insider Information 01/20/11 - 05:07 pm
Unions fight to protect the

Unions fight to protect the pockets of union leaders.
Gov. Haley is fighting to protect everyone in the state.

Unions go back home. Go back to the north.

Lonewuf
Lonewuf 01/20/11 - 05:35 pm
Yep.... Go get'em Haley.....

Yep.... Go get'em Haley..... Unions have destroyed this country.

dichotomy
dichotomy 01/20/11 - 07:14 pm
Hmmm, shouldn't be illegal

Hmmm, shouldn't be illegal for an elected official to say they are going to do what the voters elected them to do.

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 01/20/11 - 07:18 pm
Unions are legalized

Unions are legalized organizations of corruption. Any union official should be summarily brought before a judge and adjudged guilty of crimes against humanity, then sentenced to live in Venezuala. If they re-enter America, then shot on the spot.

chascush
chascush 01/20/11 - 07:37 pm
The reason Boeing Inc. is

The reason Boeing Inc. is building a plant in North Charleston is too escape the crooked union in Washington. Way too go Haley.

double_standard
double_standard 01/20/11 - 08:32 pm
Nimrata Randhawa is stirring

Nimrata Randhawa is stirring up the pot. Maybe she will get the unions out of the BMW plant.

nofrills
nofrills 01/20/11 - 09:42 pm
We dont need no stinkin

We dont need no stinkin union!

roebling
roebling 01/21/11 - 07:23 am
I hope some companies that

I hope some companies that are thinking about relocating see the comments above and choose Augusta!

onlysane1left
onlysane1left 01/21/11 - 09:08 am
All this talk against unions,

All this talk against unions, if you don't want a union, what is Haley going to do to protect the workers? Most of the labor laws are pro-business and in right-to-work state, they can be fired at any time for no reason. (or maybe I just read the right-to-work laws wrong.....)

onlysane1left
onlysane1left 01/21/11 - 09:14 am
(or maybe I just read the

(or maybe I just read the right-to-work laws wrong.....) I have, but right to work does not mandate workers to join a union. So, what is the problem, it is up to the workers to join, the union can not force the workers to join, nor can the state tell the workers not to join the union at all. Sounds like a good lawsuit to me......

justthefacts
justthefacts 01/21/11 - 09:56 am
onlysane, after all that

onlysane, after all that commentary, I fail to see how you came to your conclusion.

strib1
strib1 01/21/11 - 10:26 am
unions and dems are the

unions and dems are the reason we in the shape we are in now!!!! dont like either one of them.... secret ballot and the unions are against that!!!! thought that was the way it was sopposed to be? hope gov dosent give in.... i dont care , but the way i vote is up to me!!!

strib1
strib1 01/21/11 - 10:27 am
wonder who unions voted for??

wonder who unions voted for?? would like to know!

truth_be_told
truth_be_told 01/21/11 - 11:51 am
If anyone above would like to

If anyone above would like to let us all know where they work I'd appreciate it. I will take my $85 K earned from a local union represented job somewhere else. Maybe 5 or 6 call center workers will come to your business and make up the difference for ya.

dwb619
dwb619 01/21/11 - 12:14 pm
Amen, truth-be-told. Don't

Amen, truth-be-told. Don't think you'll get any response thought.

gnumbgnuts
gnumbgnuts 01/21/11 - 12:24 pm
I'm just glad my company has

I'm just glad my company has not brainwashed me into believing I should pay dues to keep my job. I'll keep ALL of my $85K thanks.

BLUECOLLARBULLY
BLUECOLLARBULLY 01/21/11 - 12:58 pm
Notice, SC is in pretty bad

Notice, SC is in pretty bad shape and it never had strong union support.
I guess some folks can't stand having their weekends free.

DEADEYEDICK
DEADEYEDICK 01/21/11 - 01:10 pm
Stand your ground Nikki we

Stand your ground Nikki we are behind you on this one Labor Unions have ruined this country look at detroit !

DEADEYEDICK
DEADEYEDICK 01/21/11 - 01:13 pm
BLUECOLLARBULLY if you do not

BLUECOLLARBULLY if you do not like it you can move back up NORTH !

BLUECOLLARBULLY
BLUECOLLARBULLY 01/21/11 - 01:46 pm
Didn't Nikki cheat on her

Didn't Nikki cheat on her husband?

BLUECOLLARBULLY
BLUECOLLARBULLY 01/21/11 - 01:34 pm
Unions, like managements,

Unions, like managements, have good and bad aspects. Self-righteous and smug opponents of trade unionism should remember the following piece of history: Unions did not emerge to ruin companies; unions emerged as an organic response to well documented abuse of workers in various workplaces.

onlysane1left
onlysane1left 01/21/11 - 01:42 pm
onlysane, after all that

My conclusion is how can a governor state she does not want a union at a private sector plant? The chief complaint about Obama is he wants to take away our freedoms. Haley is telling people she will oppose workers who would want to form a union. That is beyond her scope as a governor. Fighting union's corruption is fine, eliminating them to give business an unfair advantage is drawing the line.

Also, she said she is pro-business, not pro-citizen; Not a good comment from her.......

BLUECOLLARBULLY
BLUECOLLARBULLY 01/21/11 - 01:44 pm
The next thing out of Nikki's

The next thing out of Nikki's mouth will be Child Labor laws are unfair to employers.

justthefacts
justthefacts 01/21/11 - 03:24 pm
saneone, where does it say

saneone, where does it say she is not pro-citizen? She is pro business. Good for her. Maybe that will draw business to the state and they will hire her citizens. That would make her very, very pro-citizen.

woodymeister
woodymeister 01/21/11 - 06:17 pm
The unions were designed to

The unions were designed to protect workers and their rights at their inception. Anyone who works in a unionized environment today knows that the union does one thing; protect the poor performers while holding back the high performers. Seniority based systems are stifling employers' ability to reward high performing employees that are unionized. Can anyone site a good example of what unions have done in their workplace that is positive?

dwb619
dwb619 01/21/11 - 06:24 pm
Not all unions use a

Not all unions use a seniority system. Specifically which union are you speaking of?

usapatriot
usapatriot 01/21/11 - 07:27 pm
BLUECOLLARBULLYFriday, Jan.

BLUECOLLARBULLYFriday, Jan. 21 12:46 PMnew
userDidn't Nikki cheat on her husband?

You lost any shred of credibility with me right there.

"Machinists union spokesman Frank Larkin told The Associated Press the lawsuit is an attempt to make sure workers' constitutionally protected rights aren't harmed by South Carolina's governor. "

Uh, Mr Larkin, exactly what "constitutional" rights is the Governor harming?

How about you compare her support for the SC law of right to work with >>

".... the National Labor Relations Board has threatened a federal lawsuit against South Carolina, Arizona, South Dakota and Utah over constitutional amendments guaranteeing secret-ballot union elections..."

Now, you union activist types, exactly who is on the high road here?Imagine that, suing because states want to protect SECRET BALLOT elections?

usapatriot
usapatriot 01/21/11 - 07:45 pm
"The share of private-sector

"The share of private-sector workers belonging to a union dropped to 6.9 percent in 2010, the lowest “union density” in more than a century."

"The seeds of organized labor’s decline lie within the movement itself. Private sector unions are literally pricing themselves out of America’s increasingly competitive and open markets."

You know, the maket will only bear so much. Wages need to correct just as housing prices are.

Why has so much manufacturing gone outside our borders? It's simple, unless you fool yourself. If the same product can be made elsewhere at less cost, it will be.

No union contract can change that, unless it's a contract of concessions. That's the way things work today.

Govt Motors (GM) recipient of untold tax payer billions, has just announced a new factory in Mexico to employ 1000 workers.

How's that hope and change thing workin' for you now?

dwb619
dwb619 01/21/11 - 10:17 pm
I don't know you are to

I don't know you are to compete against a $50 a week wage.

usapatriot
usapatriot 01/21/11 - 11:20 pm
You can't. Get use to it,

You can't. Get use to it, it's the global economy and there isn't any going back.

The stable guy, buggy maker and horse rancher adapted at one time. So did typewriter and rotary dial phone repairmen.