Sheheen unveils his campaign

AIKEN --- Democratic gubernatorial candidate Vincent Sheheen stopped in Aiken on Tuesday to unveil an ad campaign that questions Republican opponent Nikki Haley's credibility.

Back | Next
South Carolina Democratic gubernatorial candidate Vincent Sheheen's new campaign targets his opponent for her tax penalties.  Zach Boyden-Holmes/Staff
Zach Boyden-Holmes/Staff

Sheheen's stop at Aiken Municipal Airport was one of five in his "South Carolina Fly Around: The Real Nikki Haley," in which he criticized Haley's tax record of incurred fines and penalties for late payments. Sheheen said her record showed she lacked integrity and competence, which calls into question her ability to be a trustworthy governor.

"Rep. Haley argues for government accountability but makes excuses when her own actions are called into question," he said.

Reports this month found Haley was fined for failing to pay personal income taxes on time for the past five years. Haley's family clothing store, where she has done accounting work, was also penalized three times, once for not turning over tax withholdings from employee checks and twice for failing to pay corporate income taxes.

"I would expect someone running for governor to have the courage to accept responsibility for her mistakes," he said.

Haley's campaign manager, Tim Pearson, said that Sheheen's statements are off base and "obviously designed to distract voters from his own Columbia insider record of supporting one taxpayer ripoff after another."

Pearson said that state law did not require Haley to report her consulting income and she has never failed to pay her own taxes. Pearson said Haley had been fined for late payments, but paid what was owed in full.

Phyllis Maclay, of Aiken, said that despite his small following in Aiken County, others should take note that Sheheen is not "just a Democrat." About a dozen supporters turned out for the lunchtime event.

"He's poignant, and I think he'll have integrity in the office," she said. "I'm just excited for a new perspective."

Harold Crawford, Aiken County's Democratic Party chairman, said Haley's sound bites are sometimes cute, but shallow.

"People need to pay attention to the issues," he said. "Reading is fundamental sometimes."

chascush
chascush 09/22/10 - 08:56 am
"People need to pay attention

Yeah, but he is talking too a bunch DUMocrats.

burninater
burninater 09/22/10 - 09:21 am
"Pearson said that state law

"Pearson said that state law did not require Haley to report her consulting income and she has never failed to pay her own taxes."

Okay AC, you don't know what you're writing here. Of course she had to report her consulting income for TAX purposes, which this article is about. The quote from her campaign manager refers to the S. Carolina state ETHICS regulation that doesn't require legislators to report "consulting" fees as income, creating a loophole that allows legislators to get paid by private firms that have been awarded a state contract.

This article discusses these issues much more clearly:

teharper428
teharper428 09/22/10 - 09:47 am
Here's why reading is

Here's why reading is fundamental for those considering to vote for Haley: Haley said she favors taxing groceries because eliminating the tax “didn’t create one job.” Sheheen disagreed, saying it is a “mistake” to reinstate grocery taxes, which were eliminated in 2007. http://www.thestate.com/2010/08/12/1413453/haley-jobs-plan-about-tax-cut...
In regard to Haley's call for the elimination of the corporate tax, according to the CBO, "The most common form of a general cut in business taxes is a reduction in the corporate tax rate. This approach, however, is not a particularly cost-effective method of
stimulating business spending: Increasing the after-tax income of businesses typically does not create an incentive for them to spend more on labor or to produce more, because production depends on the ability to sell output."
The CBO report goes on to state, "A cut in corporate rates is also less effective because it does not apply to businesses that are not subject
to the corporate tax (sole proprietorships, partnerships, and corporations organized under subchapter S). Business entities not subject to the corporate income tax earned about half of net business income in 2004."

ruudvonbaron
ruudvonbaron 09/22/10 - 12:24 pm
Flying around a small state

Flying around a small state and leaving a massive carbon footprint in order to speak to 12 people in Aiken about someone else's legal right and behavior to file tax extensions and pay penalties and fines instead of talking about real issues and what he will do to actually fix them......priceless liberal hypocrisy.

gator111
gator111 09/22/10 - 12:34 pm
There is nothing in Vincent

There is nothing in Vincent Sheheen's ad that is not true. I have been a Republican my whole life, but I am smart enough to see that SC does NOT need Nikki Haley as Governor. This year I am WITHOUT A DOUBT voting for Vincent Sheheen!!

gator111
gator111 09/22/10 - 12:41 pm
I sincerely hope that other

I sincerely hope that other Republicans in this state give a long hard look at Nikki Haley and realize the horrible policies she plans on putting in place if she is elected. Yes, I am a Republican, and an economic conservative, BUT I also have common sense!! I will NOT vote for Nikki Haley! Vincent Sheheen is my candidate!!

chascush
chascush 09/22/10 - 03:55 pm
gator111, 'Yes, I am a

gator111, 'Yes, I am a Republican, and an economic conservative, BUT I also have common sense!!'
You ARE NOT a conservative if you vote for Sheheen!

gator111
gator111 09/22/10 - 04:11 pm
Chascush......no, I assure

Chascush......no, I assure you I am a conservative. I am so fiscally conservative I squeak. This election poses many different issues than simply "R" vs. "D". We just spent 8 years with Sanford and a Republican House and Senate and are on the verge of collapse. I will absolutely not cast my vote for a candidate who simply represents more of the same thing that we just survived. I absolutely support Sheheen, and so does our legislature. If you want movement in the right direction, this is the only way to go.

chascush
chascush 09/22/10 - 05:40 pm
gator, ‘I absolutely support

gator, ‘I absolutely support Sheheen, and so does our legislature.’
You are right about the legislature because even the repubs are a bunch of liberals. As I said you might be a repub but YOU ARE NOT a conservative. It appears you don’t know what a real conservative is. I’m sure you would call ole Jake Knotts a conservative.
I guess you would call Hussein a moderate?

teharper428
teharper428 09/22/10 - 06:49 pm
Mr. Cushman- So you don't

Mr. Cushman- So you don't mind if our grocery tax goes back to its former rate? And if the corporate tax is eliminated, do we increase the gasoline tax to fill the hole? or do we cut back on senior services or neglect more of our infrastructure. As large corporations come into our state and squeeze out our small businesses, will that be okay to you?

chascush
chascush 09/22/10 - 09:25 pm
teharper, ‘So you don't mind

teharper, ‘So you don't mind if our grocery tax goes back to its former rate?’ Actually I don’t mind if our grocery tax goes back to its former rate. That is the least of my worries. If the liberals keep the control we are in deep dodo.

BobG
BobG 09/23/10 - 10:27 am
One of the most repeated lies

One of the most repeated lies seen on anonymous public forums is: "I have been a Republican my entire life, but...."

BobG
BobG 09/23/10 - 11:15 am
teharper428 - Despite what

teharper428 - Despite what you think, corporations do not pay one dime in taxes. Raise corporate taxes to any level you like, it won't make any difference. That's the problem with government interference in business. Any tax on any corporation has no effect on it's bottom line. The tax is simply rolled over into the retail price of its product or services and passed on to you and me. If the "corporate tax" gets high enough to make the product too expensive to sell, then the board simply votes to export jobs out of the county in order to get a cheaper product to sell. Those jobs having been driven away by taxation, not corporate greed. The objective to make a profit is not evil. It's absolutely necessary if the economy is to survive and grow. Democrats have never understood that and really believe that businesses and corporations exist only to create jobs and provide tax revenue for government.

gator111
gator111 09/23/10 - 11:57 am
Sorry to give you the wrong

Sorry to give you the wrong impression, BobG, but I have absolutely been a Republican all my life. There is no "lie" there. Happy to send you my voters registration card. The truth of this election is that it is not about conservative principles, which I agree with. Don't spend money you don't have, lower tax means more disposable income for families to reinvest into the economy, etc. I also agree with a lot of your second post regarding who foots the bill for corporate tax. Making profit is not evil.

The issue I have with this election is that we just survived 8 years with radical republican policies in our executive branch and our state is about to collapse. We can't sustain another term with someone like Nikki Haley. Sanford had Republican backing in both House and Senate and everything was gridlocked. Blame it on the legislature, sure.....but the fact remains that electing Nikki Haley means more gridlock.

I respect your conservative principals, but this election is different. We have to get someone in there who will work WITH the legisature and not another Sanford. I am going with Vincent Sheheen.

BobG
BobG 09/23/10 - 03:14 pm
gator111 - You really ought

gator111 - You really ought to call the Secretary of State's office in Columbia. It seems that you are the only person in the entire state that is registered to vote by party. South Carolina and Georgia both have the same system. There is no party registration. We are free to vote in either party's primary in any election. Sorry, but I caught you in another one. Still want to send me that voter registration card? You should really try to stick with the truth. Lies can get so complicated..... That's what my Momma always told me. To be kind, you didn't lie, you simply misrepresented the truth.

Darby
Darby 09/23/10 - 04:05 pm
"8 years with radical

"8 years with radical republican policies" What on earth were they? Bush responded to an unprecedented attack on American soil, and tried to wage war without raising taxes as did LBJ. The difference is, he almost made it and would have if he hadn't been such pushover for the likes of Ted Kennedy and others. The housing collapse (if one man could be blamed for that it would be Barney Frank) didn't help. Give Bush credit for introducing legislation to reform the industry. (Declared dead on arrival by the Dems.) Obama's metaphor of the car in the ditch was a bit off. Truth is, the car had two wheels in the ditch. Now it's still there, but upside down and under four feet of mud. Don't talk about 8 years when the Dems have created a much bigger mess in 1.5 years. Now they tell us it's gonna get worse under GOP control? Only if we get hit by a meteor the size of Texas.

gator111
gator111 09/24/10 - 07:13 am
Ha ha.....man you are killing

Ha ha.....man you are killing me here. Did post graduate work out of state.....registered to vote....and there it is....."R". You seem to have knocked a moot point from a rhetorical question over the fence anyway.

And yes, Darby (switching back to state politics) any time a governor issues executive orders trying to circumvent the legislative branch, after already signing a bill on the same subject that was passed by the legislature....that is a radical policy. Middle school civics class taught me that. Haley is exactly the same...hand picked in fact. And this state can't survive with policies like this.

Vincent Sheheen is honest and he is the best candidate for Governor.

ruudvonbaron
ruudvonbaron 09/24/10 - 11:19 am
gator111 Thursday, Sep. 23

gator111 Thursday, Sep. 23 12:57 PM The issue I have with this election is that we just survived 8 years with radical republican policies in our executive branch and our state is about to collapse.
----------------------------------
What exactly were the radical policies that came out of the executive branch in Columbia that nearly collapsed SC? Please be specific.

BobG
BobG 09/24/10 - 03:03 pm
gator - The POINT, and it's

gator - The POINT, and it's not at all MOOT, is that if someone misrepresents the truth in any one area of his presentation (your post) then how can he be trusted in anything else he says???

You ARE NOT registered to vote in SC as a Republican or any other political identity. I have worked in the office of the Secretary of State and was a member of Board of Elections in Sumter County for several years. To seal the point, I am sending you (and unfortunately anyone else who reads this post), proof that your veracity is flawed. Go to this site (From the SC Board of Elections) and you will find an application to register. You and the whole world can see that you can't register by party in the state.... http://www.scvotes.org/files/VR_Blank_Form.pdf

I can also give you a telephone number at State where any one of the nice young ladies there will be happy to give you the same information. But would you believe them ????? It's time to stop digging that hole.. you're in way over your head... There is really nothing wrong with being a Democrat. I was one for more than 20 years.

The only thing anyone can reliably take from your post is that you are going to vote for Sheheen. l believe you are sincere in that one statement.
Good luck....