Sunday-sales bill filed in Senate

ATLANTA --- The push to allow Sunday alcohol sales in Georgia's grocery and convenience stores is being revived with new legislation filed in the state Senate.

Gov. Nathan Deal reiterated Tuesday that if the measure ends up on his desk, he'll sign it, so long as it allows communities to ask voters to decide.

"I believe that's what democracy is all about," Deal said. "I would not veto it if the Legislature passes it in a fashion that meets that criteria."

Georgia is one of just three states that ban the Sunday sale of alcohol at stores. The other two are Connecticut and Indiana.

Previous efforts to allow Sunday alcohol sales in Georgia stalled amid a veto threat from Deal's predecessor, Sonny Perdue, a Christian conservative who did not drink.

With Perdue gone, backers of Sunday sales say, its odds of passing have soared.

Senate Majority Leader Chip Rogers said the measure has "a greater chance of passing this year than ever before."

The bill, filed late Monday, would allow local communities to ask voters to decide whether they want to allow Sunday sales. Bars and restaurants in many parts of the state are already allowed to serve booze on Sundays.

Christian groups in Georgia are vowing to fight the measure, arguing increasing the availability of alcohol sullies the Sabbath.

Grocery and convenience store owners say their customers have been clamoring for the change.

Labatt
Labatt 01/25/11 - 12:39 pm
The Sabbath is on Saturday.

The Sabbath is on Saturday.

Ugahater715
Ugahater715 01/25/11 - 12:46 pm
Bang!

Bang!

BornInAUG
BornInAUG 01/25/11 - 01:23 pm
call/email your State

call/email your State Senator!

Taylor B
Taylor B 01/25/11 - 01:53 pm
Id doubt Hardie Davis is on

Id doubt Hardie Davis is on board with this, but I will give it a shot. Let's see how these "smaller government*" types vote on this...,,

bdouglas
bdouglas 01/26/11 - 10:04 am
I don't know what the big

I don't know what the big deal is about this with Christians. I'm one, but I'd rather people be able to buy it at grocery and convenience stores where they can take it home rather than sit in a restaurant (where they do sell on Sundays) to get drunk on Sunday and try to drive home. I choose not to drink, so I don't have a horse in this race, but it makes better sense to me.

gbhs
gbhs 01/26/11 - 11:23 am
I do not like it when they

I do not like it when they say Christians will oppose this. I am a Christian and I support this 100%. This law should have been changed MANY years ago.

Taylor B
Taylor B 01/26/11 - 11:49 am
Gbhs, I am also christian. Do

Gbhs, I am also christian. Do you not think this bill will have faith based opposition?

bdouglas
bdouglas 01/26/11 - 12:15 pm
*Churches*...and

*Churches*...and denominations...will oppose this. Not Christians, per se. Church attendance and/or membership do not a Christian make.

gbhs
gbhs 01/26/11 - 01:11 pm
Very true, I believe there

Very true, I believe there are denominations that will oppose this just they have for many years.

stacyatkins
stacyatkins 01/26/11 - 01:30 pm
Christ served wine to his

Christ served wine to his disciples.

Taylor B
Taylor B 01/26/11 - 01:54 pm
Churches are not supposed to

Churches are not supposed to be political bodies due to their tax exempt status. It is my firm belief that if churches or religious groups would like to use the power of government to intervene on freedom of individuals or businesses then their tax exempt status should be removed or be converted to a political action committee structure of operation. Someone please tell me I am wrong on this and make sense!

Frank I
Frank I 01/26/11 - 02:27 pm
I concur Taylor..

I concur Taylor..

Local Interests
Local Interests 01/26/11 - 02:36 pm
I also agree with Taylor

I also agree with Taylor B.
Churches should NOT be allowed to campaign directly and maintain their tax-exempt status. Of course, they can preach anything they want to their flock.
All "blue laws" should be eliminated. Let the individual decide what they want to buy and when.

justthefacts
justthefacts 01/26/11 - 02:49 pm
Church members pay taxes.

Church members pay taxes.

Chillen
Chillen 01/26/11 - 02:50 pm
The government should not be

The government should not be telling me when I can and cannot buy alcohol. This law should be eradicated from our books.

onlysane1left
onlysane1left 01/26/11 - 03:32 pm
With the exception of certain

With the exception of certain few, i.e., Chick-Fil-A, who still honors Sundays as a day of rest? The notion that we must be holy on this day loses a lot of value when people are working 7 days a week, 24 hours a day. Either completely change the law, to keep the Christians happy, or allow us some privileges on Sunday, that we may not get any other day. Personally, I'd like to be able to buy a beer on Sunday.

Taylor B
Taylor B 01/26/11 - 03:46 pm
"Church members pay taxes" is

"Church members pay taxes" is true. Employees pay taxes too, so are you going to exempt my company from all corporate taxes because all employees pay taxes? What a silly argument.

Taxes aside, why are churches so adamant to reducing freedom? I thought judgement of people sullied the sabbath too...

soldout
soldout 01/26/11 - 04:37 pm
Alcohol serves no good

Alcohol serves no good purpose and the tax revenues never cover the expenses of having it available. I am always surprised at the number of people that require alcohol to enjoy life or social events. For me peace and joy beats temporary happiness everytime. It is just another tool the devil uses to destroy lives. The worst must be for the parent who has alcohol in their home, which influences the child to drink, and then one day they stand by the fresh grave of their child that dies because of alcohol. There are plenty of risks in life without adding alcohol. We can't really teach children to not do drugs while we consume alcohol. If you never drink, you will never know the effect of it and never turn to alcohol to cover up a problem.

Taylor B
Taylor B 01/26/11 - 04:51 pm
"For me peace and joy beats

"For me peace and joy beats temporary happiness everytime" said soldout. Good for you, sir/ma'am. What does this have to do with you pushing your beliefs upon others through the force of government that your church doesn't even contribute to? What makes you think that the people of this state can be trusted with the election of mayors, congresspeople, and senators... but the fact of alcohol sales is over our heads? No one says anyone has to drink on Sunday. You aren't stopping people anyway.

BarstoolDreamer
BarstoolDreamer 01/26/11 - 06:43 pm
Jesus loved wine so much,

Jesus loved wine so much, when he ran out it called for a miricle!!!!!

Riverman1
Riverman1 01/26/11 - 07:35 pm
Jesus was my kind of god. The

Jesus was my kind of god. The kind you could sit down with and booze it up with a little as Mary Magadalene swayed in front of the jukebox.

Riverman1
Riverman1 01/26/11 - 08:18 pm
Like with many religious

Like with many religious people, Jesus came to see me the other Sunday (when else?) after the Falcons' loss and I was feeling bad trying to figure out how I was going to pay off my bets. He wanted to drink a little wine with me and help me feel better about the world at large.

I explained to him that we couldn't buy any and drink it at my house because of the Sunday alcohol laws. He was surprised, but pretty nice about it all when I told him we could go sit in a bar restaurant and get a little buzz on. We passed several churches on the way there and Jesus asked me if we couldn't get a Communion bottle at one of them.

Surprisingly and maybe just the least bit uppity he asked, "You do know what Communion is don't you?"

I laughed and told him, "Yeah, yeah, I know it's about you."

We hit the SideTrack Bar and Grill and got a dozen oysters and a few pitchers of beer and a couple of glasses of wine to keep it all kind of biblical. A few people wanted autographs, but, all in all, the other drinkers were respectful of his privacy. Afterall one time John Daley, in town for the Masters, stopped by for a few drinks and they were friendly to him and didn't seem to get too excited. One guy even bought us a pitcher of the beer on special.

We did hear a few "Jesus Christ's" being said loudly, but I figured those were just part of normal conversations.

We were both a little high so I took the back way to avoid possible Columbia County Sheriff's Dept. sobriety checkpoints and Jesus promised to visit me again. He said he would come on a Saturday the next time. I had to explain it better be well before midnight.

Taylor B
Taylor B 01/26/11 - 08:57 pm
Riverman, I would have taken

Riverman, I would have taken him down to the DDA to have him meet his competition...

Asitisinaug
Asitisinaug 01/27/11 - 03:24 am
Frankly, I don't need or care

Frankly, I don't need or care for alcohol. However, it is a legal substance for of age adults and therefore I see no governmental purpose in not selling it on Sunday.

InChristLove
InChristLove 01/27/11 - 11:13 am
Riverman1 - all I can say is

Riverman1 - all I can say is may God have mercy on your soul...blasphamey: impious (irreverent) utterance or action concerning God or sacred things.

I do not have an issue with alcohol but I find it amazing that 6 out of 7 days you can buy or drink all the alcohol you want but a simple restriction of no alcohol sales on Sunday in a grocery or liquor store and people get bent out of shape about it. Buy all the alcohol you want on Saturday for Sunday....geez. It's like telling a child he can't have a piece of candy and he throws a fit....not because he wants the candy but just the fact that you said no.

whatsthedeal
whatsthedeal 01/27/11 - 11:30 am
The argument put forth by the

The argument put forth by the god-fearing to just buy our alcohol on Saturday is such hypocrisy. So you don't care if I drink it on Sunday, only if I BUY it on Sunday.. this makes no sense to me whatsoever. What do you care when I drink it or when I BUY it. The "sabbath" should have absolutely nothing to do with the law. period. And fyi, I don't normally drink, but I have experienced many frustrated Sundays when I found I was out of wine to make my marinara sauce or beef stew and couldn't buy any. Such silliness.

InChristLove
InChristLove 01/27/11 - 11:46 am
whatsthedeal, truthfully I

whatsthedeal, truthfully I could care less if you bought it on Saturday or Sunday or whether you drink it on either day. All I'm saying is that one day out of seven, there is a restriction to buy alcohol and people go berserk. What if this were gas instead of alcohol? Would you grip the same? Most doctor offices are closed on Sunday but do you hear people gripping because they can go to the doctor office on Sunday? Next time you decided to make marinara sauce or have that beef stew, make sure you have all the ingredients on Saturday....yeah, such silliness.

Taylor B
Taylor B 01/27/11 - 12:35 pm
ICL, when I feel my rights

ICL, when I feel my rights are not being respected, I will gripe. Most doctor offices close on a Sunday by choice, not an edict passed down by self righteous politicians trying to get the bible beater vote.

Riverman1
Riverman1 01/27/11 - 02:03 pm
Yeah, truthfully, I haven't

Yeah, truthfully, I haven't drank for a good while, but the law is about the equivalent of a slave counting as 3/5ths of a person. Out of touch with reality.

InChristLove
InChristLove 01/27/11 - 10:04 pm
Well Taylor B, I guess you

Well Taylor B, I guess you have just as might right to grip as those bible beaters do. There are a lot of edicts which bible beaters don't like (abortion for one) but that's life.

'Go Downtown' initiative gets mixed reviews

The "Go Downtown" initiative aims to foster a downtown environment that welcomes the college community and creates business for merchants. The event is held every third Thursday of the month ...