News |   Obits |   Sports |   Business |   Opinion |   Things to Do |   Life |   Blogs |   Photos |   Video |   Data |   Jobs |   Homes |   Autos |   Buy/Sell

Deal vows not to let Indians build a casino

Friday, April 15, 2011 12:48 PM
Last updated 12:50 PM
  • Follow Georgia Governor

ATLANTA -- Gov. Nathan Deal said today he opposes Indian tribes having casinos in Georgia and that he’ll block them if they try.

“I’m not in favor of that,” he said.

The comments came in an interview with Morris News Service when he was asked about legislation that failed to pass Thursday when the General Assembly wrapped up its 2011 regular session.

Minutes before the final gavel, Sen. William Ligon, the author of the proposal, announced to the Senate that he wanted their agreement to withdraw his amendment.

“We’ll just have to work on it next year,” said Ligon, R-Brunswick.

He had convinced the Senate Tuesday to attach his amendment to a House bill about contracts. The House bill was sponsored by Rep. Willard Wendell, chairman of the House Judiciary Committee that stalled Ligon’s stand-alone bill on the tribal land sales.

Ligon’s wording would have required two-thirds of the General Assembly to ratify any agreement the governor makes with a tribe seeking to buy land to build a casino. He said he drafted it because tribes are considering property in his district and in the Columbus area.

In the end, the freshman lawmaker bowed to the veteran Willard and convinced the Senate to pass the chairman’s bill without the Ligon amendment.

Even without the legislation, a tribe faces a hurdle in getting around Deal.

“My understanding of that is it’s an issue that comes through the (U.S.) Department of the Interior and that they give great deference to the opinion of the governor of the state as to whether or not the governor would be supportive of such activities, and I would not be supportive of that,” Deal said.

PR
PR 04/15/11 - 01:03 pm
We robbed them of their lands

We robbed them of their lands years ago, now we want to keep them in poverty. Gov. Deal is just as bad as President Andrew Jackson when it comes to mistreating the indians. Governor...is this your trail of tears? Keep them poor and on welfare? In the long run indian casinos can bring more visitors to rthe state and keep locals from running to NC or AL to gamble. Guess Governor Deal doesn't want to keep money in Georgia.

onlysane1left
onlysane1left 04/15/11 - 01:05 pm
More bias against the Native

More bias against the Native Americans, way to go, Gov. Deal!

onlysane1left
onlysane1left 04/15/11 - 01:29 pm
One question: Why is he

One question: Why is he opposed to this? The vague: "I'm not in favor of that" is troubling to me. The tourism boost will help the state's revenue. I wish he felt that way about me paying my taxes......

1941
1941 04/15/11 - 01:46 pm
I go to the other states and

I go to the other states and gamble every month!! I used to live in Atlantic City, I miss the fun of gambling.Georgia refuses to move ahead, so they keep loosing money to other states.They claim they are looking out for ""my welfare"" but they just want me to spend my money here, there is nothing here for me to enjoy spending my money on, to have fun!!!!!

1941
1941 04/15/11 - 01:46 pm
I go to the other states and

Ushouldnthave
Ushouldnthave 04/15/11 - 01:48 pm
Even the Creek Indian Tribal

Even the Creek Indian Tribal Council opposes the Oklahoma Creek Indian (Kialegee Tribe) from doing this. If approved they will create a Kialegee Indian Nation in Georgia, so NO revenue generated in the nation would benefit the people of Georgia.
The only logical way to do this is for the legislature to approve corporate run casinos somewhere in the state so Georgians could work and gamble there and benefit from them. Deal is right.

Batman
Batman 04/15/11 - 01:53 pm
There are very successful

There are very successful Indian tribes in America that do not rely on gambling for easy money. Instead they own and operate traditional large and small businesses... employing lots of people. Some of the most successful are located in Wisconsin. I guarantee you the owner / operators of the Indian casinos are taking full advantage of the Native Americans. Easy money is usually a curse.

Batman
Batman 04/15/11 - 01:58 pm
For example, since 1985,

For example, since 1985, Simpson Electric has been owned by the Lac du Flambeau Band of Lake Superior Chippewa Indians. http://www.simpsonelectric.com/

Batman
Batman 04/15/11 - 02:01 pm
Gambling Controversy Looms

Gambling Controversy Looms over Oneida

While the introduction of gambling on the reservation has been hailed as a great economic blessing to the Tribe, I have had comments from several Oneida members indicating that legalized gambling may have been an even greater curse. With millions of dollars now being controlled by leaders of the Tribe, there are many opportunities for corruption, abuse, and contention. Some members wonder where all the money is going, while others are dismayed at the divisiveness that has been created. Apparently there have been some significant intra-tribal conflicts over use of the money. (In my opinion, any source of funds that relies on human greed and stupidity is not going to strengthen its recipients.)

Here is an example of one comment:

I have seen the Casino literally divide the clans and set friends and relatives against each other in bitter never-ending battles over money. The fact of the matter is that there is very little distribution of the money to the people. It does not trickle down to the little people. Furthermore the Casino created more jobs for white people than it did for Oneidas.

Legalized gambling on the Oneida reservation, which has meant millions of dollars for the Oneida Tribe, received the support of the State because of the tax money it is supposed to bring to Wisconsin State coffers. There's just one problem: the Oneida casino isn't paying taxes on their take. Nearly $5 million are still owed, according to the State. A dispute is underway.

Source: http://www.jefflindsay.com/Oneida.shtml#gamble

floridasun
floridasun 04/15/11 - 02:44 pm
What is wrong with allowing

What is wrong with allowing gambling on the Indian reservation? Native Americans have been mistreated for way too long. Maybe it's time Georgia gave them something as a way to say the state is sorry for the terrible Trail of Tears incident.

augustakid
augustakid 04/15/11 - 02:55 pm
Gov Deal 'doesn't want it'??

Gov Deal 'doesn't want it'?? What happened to elected officials actually doing with the people of Georgia want? Put it to a public vote!

Sweet son
Sweet son 04/15/11 - 02:59 pm
No cut for the State of

No cut for the State of Georgia! No casino!

draksig
draksig 04/15/11 - 03:54 pm
He can't be apposed to

He can't be apposed to Gambling, Georgia depends on it! Hope anyone? Truth of the matter is since it is Indian tribe, the state will get no tax revenue (and the Indian casinos I have been to in Alabama make a ton of money selling cigarettes tax free so more lost revenue there).

Dawgpound25
Dawgpound25 04/15/11 - 05:54 pm
Here is what kills me. Its

Here is what kills me. Its the same thing that happened with South Carolina. The state governors and reps. say no way to casinos. But then all the citizens of both states get bombarded with one of the biggest gambling ventures of all the LOTTERY!!! How convienent the state gets all the revenue and doesnt have to share. They disguised it as a means for education but every time you turn around they are funding education less with it. Schools cant send books home b/c they dont have enough to go around and Hope Scholarship amounts are decreasing while tuitions are increasing. As far as I can tell the same amount of tickets are still being sold, so where is that money going. People talk about Indian Tribes wanting to know where the money is going, well as a citizen I would like to know where all this lottery money is going. The state government needs to put it to a vote b/c thats the way a democracy is supposed to run something that a lot of goverment officials seem to overlook these days.

my2cents
my2cents 04/15/11 - 08:21 pm
Speaking as a southerner, I

Speaking as a southerner, I had ancestors that fought in the War between the States. As bad as I hate the fact we lost, we still lost and we now have to live by the law of the land. Fortunately, we are still a great country although we are not perfect. As far as the native Americans, they could not defend their land and they lost. That is sad but it is a fact and now they need to live by the law of the land. Why should they have the privilege of a casino when you don't.

dougk
dougk 04/15/11 - 09:26 pm
Yes, my2cents, probably

Yes, my2cents, probably should have forced Southerners west and put them on reservations, too, huh? ...besides killing them off.

snuffygerkins
snuffygerkins 04/15/11 - 09:47 pm
Indiana approved corporate

Indiana approved corporate casinos a few years back along with horse racing tracks. The two casinos in the Indianapolis area are both now operating under bankruptcy protection...Most of the problems stemming from them having to pay a $250 MILLION dollar license to the state each.

A voice in the wilderness
A voice in the wilderness 04/16/11 - 06:46 am
In Canyonville, Oregon, the

In Canyonville, Oregon, the Native Americans opened a beautiful casino. It created dozens and dozens of jobs for the local community that were desperately needed in the area. It boosted local tourism, another economic boost for the area. It generated enough income for them to not only provide help for their own people, but the surrounding communities as well. They pay huge taxes, donate large amounts to local charities, and use additional big chunks of the money to repair nearby local roads, parks, etc. And I agree with doughk, the Native Americans have more right and reason to [filtered word] than any other race in this country. Let them finally have the right to better themselves.

Property tax jump OK'd

Augusta commissioners broke a seven-year trend Wednesday and agreed 7-0 to raise property taxes by 1.75 mills to cover a deficit and provide employees a small bonus.