Deal says he’ll sign Sunday sales but later

Wednesday, April 13, 2011 11:55 AM
Last updated 3:09 PM
  • Follow Georgia Governor

Georgia  Gov. Nathan Deal speaks to reporters following a news conference at the state Capitol Wednesday  AP
AP
Georgia Gov. Nathan Deal speaks to reporters following a news conference at the state Capitol Wednesday

ATLANTA -- Gov. Nathan Deal said today that he’ll sign into law legislation permitting local communities to allow the sale of packaged alcohol on Sunday afternoons, but he’s not in a hurry.

“I’ve said all along that if the General Assembly agreed on it and sent it to my desk I would sign it,” he told reporters after a speech to a public-health conference.

First, he’ll sign non-controversial bills affecting single cities and counties before looking at statewide bills. And he won’t be reviewing any until after the legislature adjourns Thursday night.

The House passed a Senate bill on Sunday sales late Tuesday night and sent the measure to Deal’s desk for his signature. Similar legislation had languished in the legislature in recent years because Deal’s predecessor, Sonny Perdue, announced he would veto it.

Even though he’s a teetotaler like Perdue, Deal told reporters his first week in office that he would sign the bill if it gave local voters the final say. That gave supporters the green light they’d been waiting for, and bills quickly sailed out of House and Senate committees.

The Senate leadership held up consideration of the issue for weeks because they said there weren’t enough votes in the Republican caucus to pass it, which also caused the House to avoid voting on a controversial measure as long as the Senate wasn’t going to act on it. Then as public pressure built, the Senate leaders changed their mind and passed Senate Bill 10 March 16.

The House leadership took its own time bringing it to the full House for a vote, waiting until the next to the last day of the legislative session.

Wednesday, Deal said that even after he signs it, whenever that is, nothing changes immediately.

“Some people would assume that automatically we would see Sunday sales, and that is not, by a long shot, true. It will be now a decision at the local level,” he said. “People will have referendums, and I’m sure there will be campaigns both for and against that. We’ll let the people decide what they think is appropriate.”

One group already preparing for local battles is the Christian Coalition, according to Jerry Luquire, president of the Georgia chapter.

"The passage of the Sunday sales bill by the governor and legislators will increase the work of the Georgia Christian Coalition,” Luquire said. “However, those who have fought for local control will encounter a negative component by the local voters as we continue to try and keep Sunday safer by not having retail whiskey, beer and wine sales."

Deal was also asked about immigration, another high-profile issue that is still to be resolved. The House and Senate disagree about some aspects of legislation that seeks to add restrictions on people in Georgia from other countries without a visa.

One difference is whether to require employers of 10 workers or more to use the federal E-Verify database to check the citizenship of every hire.

Deal noted that the U.S. Supreme Court is considering the legality of the E-Verify system and that he doesn’t have any advice for legislators hashing out the House and Senate positions.

“That’s a consideration that they’ll have to make,” he said.

“They have asked my opinion from time to time on various different things, but there’s not a who lot of area that I can give them any guidance on. There are some very tough choices that have to be made.

realitycheck09
realitycheck09 04/13/11 - 11:07 am
Can someone coherently

Can someone coherently explain to me the Christian opposition to Sunday Sales? Last I checked, that wasn't grape juice Jesus had at the Last Supper.

Also, I find it humorous that Mr. Laguire probably demands keeping the state out of his church but he doesn't mind inserting his church into a state matter such as when private businesses can sell a product. Separation of church and state should be a two-way street.

dougk
dougk 04/13/11 - 11:20 am
Sundays safer?? Anyway, it's

Sundays safer??
Anyway, it's simply a symbolic moral crusade for the Coalition and it will be successful in some, but far from all counties.

JesusSavesAtCitiBank
JesusSavesAtCitiBank 04/13/11 - 12:14 pm
If you are Christian and you

If you are Christian and you want to keep Sunday holy by not drinking than that is your prerogative. However you can't force the rest of the public to live by your moral standards. Let Sunday alcohol sales for those who want it. For those that don't...well...just don't buy alcohol on Sunday.

InChristLove
InChristLove 04/13/11 - 12:37 pm
Citibank, I do believe my

Citibank, I do believe my vote will count just as much as yours. Are you saying that my vote doesn't count because I'm a Christian?

JesusSavesAtCitiBank
JesusSavesAtCitiBank 04/13/11 - 12:39 pm
No. I'm saying you can't

No. I'm saying you can't legislate morality. Vote using common judicial sense and not your Bible, Koran, or whatever Holy book you prefer as your guide. We aren't a theocracy.

realitycheck09
realitycheck09 04/13/11 - 12:49 pm
ICL - I think the point is

ICL - I think the point is that government should not legislate RELIGIOUS morality (that's what they do in Saudi Arabia). Whether it it gay marriage, sunday sales, abortion, etc.

I am a true libertarian - I look forward to the day in Georgia that a gay couple can get married on a sunday, go to publix to buy a 6 pack to celebrate and stop by planned parenthood on the way home. Maybe even while smoking pot. That's just me though.

InChristLove
InChristLove 04/13/11 - 01:29 pm
Citibank...."However you

Citibank...."However you can't force the rest of the public to live by your moral standards."

realitycheck09, and I don't think government should legislate your nonreligious morality on me but it happens every day.

InChristLove
InChristLove 04/13/11 - 01:59 pm
question? If an atheist

question?

If an atheist thought alcohol was destructive and say didn't want it sold on Saturday and supported legistration to have the sale of alcohol banned on Saturday........would you be as upset about him/her trying to legislate their moral beliefs on you.....or is it just because a group who happens to believe in the teachings of Christ is the one wanting their moral beliefs upheld?

onlysane1left
onlysane1left 04/13/11 - 02:02 pm
My view, exactly,

My view, exactly, realitycheck09. It is not my to judge you. I can only account for my actions, and the laws are in place to protect me, not to be my babysitter. If I wish to drink some sangria with fruit on Sunday, while barbequing in my backyard, I should be able to get all of the things I need to do that, including the wine, on Sunday. I understand that Sunday is viewed as a day of rest, but businesses do not seem to abide by that or they would be like Chick-Fil-A and would give all of us Sunday off.

onlysane1left
onlysane1left 04/13/11 - 02:12 pm
question? If an atheist

question?

This is solely a morality issue. The religious aspect of it is irrelevant, but it is due the inital religious belief that this legistation was set up. What I find funny is ,when it comes to alcohol, everyone comes out and preachs about not letting this happen, yet, when it comes to letting it be a complete day of rest, as intended, in the bible, businesses and owner come out and hush the Sunday issue. If Sunday is more reverent than every other day, make it a penalty to work on Sunday, buy things on Sunday, and make it extra to do anything on Sunday. If you are not going to push those issues then, the religious part, is null and void, because it is view as just another day according to the government.

happychimer
19396
happychimer 04/13/11 - 02:35 pm
I would rather see people

I would rather see people buying alcohol on Sunday, and take it home to drink, than to get drunk in a restaurant and drive home. Let the people in each county decide.

PCnomo
PCnomo 04/13/11 - 02:41 pm
ICL says :- I don't look at

ICL says :- I don't look at it as trying to force you to live by my moral standards. I'm just trying to live life according to my moral standards.

Then don't BUY alcohol on a sunday. Problem solved.

walrus4ever
walrus4ever 04/13/11 - 04:00 pm
Christian Coalition a.k.a.

Christian Coalition a.k.a. the Dixie Taliban

InChristLove
InChristLove 04/13/11 - 04:59 pm
PCnomo, I don't buy alcohol

PCnomo, I don't buy alcohol on Sunday and when it comes to vote, I will vote according to my moral standards just like you.

It's funny that everyone thinks that just because they get to vote for or against Sunday alcohol sales that all of a sudden they are going to be able to buy alcohol on Sunday. All this bill does is take it to the people to vote.....no guarantees the vote is going to go your way. That being said, I understand that the vote may not go my way but at least I have prayer on my side. We'll just have to see how the vote goes but don't count your chickens before they hatch.

PCnomo
PCnomo 04/13/11 - 06:15 pm
ICL, This is where you are

ICL, This is where you are losing me. If you claim you only want to live your life according to your moral standards then by all means, refrain from buying alcohol on sundays and you have achieved your goal in some small respect. However, your voting on the issue defeats your argument as you are then attempting to impose your standards on others. I am not saying you don't have a right to vote your conscience, of course you do, I just cannot see where your argument is valid when your statement becomes ' I will live MY life according to MY moral standards, but if I have the opportunity I will hold YOU to MY standards also.'
So you see, as soon as your religious beliefs leave the confines of your home or your church, they stop being spiritual and start being political. It will be interesting to see how the local clergy urge their congregations to vote on this issue in violation of their tax exempt status. You claim you have prayer on your side. Don't you think the drinkers will be praying too.? :))
I don't care one way or the other because I don't drink.

airbud7
airbud7 04/13/11 - 06:33 pm
S.C. Law's No hard liquor

S.C. Law's
No hard liquor sales after 7 p.m. and none on Sundays.
No off-premise alcohol sales after midnight Saturday until 7 a.m. Monday, except in Aiken, Greenville, Spartanburg, Horry County, Colleton County, Richland County, Charleston County/city and Beaufort County. No sales on election days at liquor stores.

tidbit

Taylor B
Taylor B 04/13/11 - 08:04 pm
Heck, after the last two

Heck, after the last two elections I ran in, I needed a drink :)

Thanksgiving burns injure 8

Eight people have already been admitted to the Joseph M. Still burn center for cooking related burns this Thanksgiving.