Endorsements give 'mama grizzlies' a paw up

This election season has seen a former female vice presidential candidate's endorsements sway voters and keep two Republican women alive in the race for governor in Georgia and South Carolina.

Left up to Augusta, there would be no runoff between Karen Handel and Nathan Deal on Aug. 10. Handel carried a swath of 12 counties around metro Augusta resembling the support she had in metro Atlanta, and she got more than 50 percent of Republican primary votes in Richmond, Columbia, Jefferson and Burke counties.

Back | Next
Former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin endorses South Carolina gubernatorial candidate Nikki Haley (left). Palin also has said she endorses Karen Handel in the Georgia governor's race.  File/Associated Press
File/Associated Press

From Augusta's position on the Savannah River, with Nikki Haley's victory over Gresham Barrett in the South Carolina Republican primary and Handel's strong performance Tuesday, it might appear to be "the year of the woman," or a good year for Republican women at the least.

Augusta Republican Janice McDonald called it that at a Handel rally in Evans, where most in the crowd were women and many were members of Columbia County Republican Women.

"Change for the better" came in the form of female leadership to clean up politics, McDonald said.

Handel, a former Georgia secretary of state, compared herself to Haley, California Senate candidate Carly Fiorina and governor hopeful Meg Whitman.

"They are business women, they are outsiders, and they're not career politicians. They are reformers," Handel said.

Putting the Georgia governor's race into the national spotlight was Sarah Palin's endorsement of Handel as the "mama grizzly" of choice for voters, eight days before the primary. Following Palin was Newt Gingrich's endorsement of Deal; then came Mitt Romney's Handel endorsement.

Palin's endorsement of Haley aided the primary runoff "slam dunk" of a candidate who led by a wider margin than Handel in the primary, said University of Georgia political scientist Charles Bullock.

Palin's endorsement led to the surge of support for Handel in the week before the primary, particularly outside metro Atlanta, but it remains to be seen whether it will carry Handel to a win in November.

With each victory by a Palin candidate increasing the strength of the brand, Georgia might see its first woman governor, he said.

Women have had greater success running for statewide office in Georgia as Republicans, beginning with trailblazer and former superintendent of schools Linda Schrenko, who was followed by Kathy Cox. Democrat Cathy Cox is the only other woman to hold statewide elected office, that of secretary of state, in Georgia.

In the original "year of the woman," 1992, women gained several seats in the U.S. Senate and the number has steadily increased. Georgia has had only one, Rebecca Felton, who served for a few months of 1922, and five U.S. congresswomen.

On the ballot in November is another woman candidate for statewide office, Carol Porter, the wife of state Rep. Dubose Porter, who came in fourth in the Democratic primary for governor.

Carol Porter will face Lt. Gov. Casey Cagle for his seat after winning 70 percent of votes July 20 against Patricia McCracken, whose only campaign act was paying her qualifying fee.

Among Columbia County Young Republicans, the mind-set is not to vote "for people based on demographics," said the group's founder, Megan Seda, who is supporting Deal for governor, as is her mother and fellow young Republican Sarah Harper Scott.

"I'm kind of concerned when people see you endorsing based on a demographic instead of a set of principles," Seda said. "It kind of devalues your endorsements."

Women have long been "hesitant to be involved" in politics, said Candy Waites, the executive director of the bipartisan South Carolina Gubernatorial Appointments Project, a grant-funded, bipartisan effort to increase the presence of women in senior-level state government positions.

The cost of running a campaign and the old notion that a woman should "keep the home fires burning" have kept women away from political office, but many find once they get their feet wet that they have as much aptitude for governing as their male counterparts, Waites said. "In our state, it may be party over gender," she said.

Ironically, Haley wouldn't sign a pledge to utilize the vetted list of women candidates while Barrett did, Waites said.

Deal, Handel debate issues

DALTON, Ga. --- Hard against the north Georgia mountains, Nathan Deal and Karen Handel took their disagreements to a new level Saturday in the first official debate of the runoff campaign for the Republican nomination as governor.

For Deal, it at times seemed like he had a hometown advantage. He represented this part of the state for nearly 18 years as congressman from the 9th District. Certainly many of the more than 200 packed into a ballroom of the new Holiday Inn & Suites had voted for him before.

For Handel, however, the 30-minute debate was an opportunity to make the case that the familiar isn't always the best.

They bantered back and forth, and in between attacks and accusations on abortion, the ability to get along and the ability to finish a job, the two discussed jobs, education and water.

-- The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

corgimom
corgimom 07/24/10 - 11:49 pm
It is sad to see a mother who

It is sad to see a mother who is more interested in her career than her child. Some day, Bristol Palin is going to tell her that.

I had to choose what was more important- my career or my child. There was no comparison. No job, no fame, no anything could replace the wonderful memories of my son's childhood. Even when times were rough, and money was scarce, I knew, every day, that I made the right choice.

I have never regretted my choice for one single second.

A child only gets one mother. If a child can't get loving attention from their parents, they'll look elsewhere.

I don't buy Sarah Palin's "Supermom" nonsense for one second.

A "mama grizzly" doesn't leave her cubs when they need her. Sarah Palin forgets that.

JM88
JM88 07/25/10 - 12:32 am
corgi, didn't Palin resign

corgi, didn't Palin resign the governorship in Alaska precisely to be more involved in her family's life?

I remain a huge fan of Sarah Palin. I don't know if she's president-material, but the RNC would be wise to find a role for her. She's a star who has a lot to offer that party.

corgimom
corgimom 07/25/10 - 02:08 am
No, she resigned because she

No, she resigned because she was going to get investigated for ethics violations, and she was going to have huge legal bills, remember? And that was AFTER the pregnancy, remember?

Considering that her daughter got engaged to her loser baby daddy and she and her husband didn't even know it, and Bristol was afraid to tell her, just how involved do you think she is?

Keep in mind, everyone in Anchorage knows who Bristol Palin is. Anchorage is very isolated and everyone knows everything about everybody, especially local celebrities. But Sarah and Todd Palin had NO IDEA that they were seeing each other again? And that they were engaged?

Oh sure, she's involved with her family, alright.

She's nothing but a big phony.

disssman
disssman 07/25/10 - 04:22 am
JM88. No she didn't resign

JM88. No she didn't resign for family values, rather ti was for cash values. She makes a heck of a lot more from lemmings who actually believe she is god loke. I wonder where the "special" child is when she is running all over giving her golden speeches? Or is that really speeches for gold? Corgi had it exactly right in her first posting. Your comments are nothing more than an excuse to justify Palins lack of maternal instincts.

disssman
disssman 07/25/10 - 04:31 am
I forgot to say both Palin

I forgot to say both Palin and Handel are from the same mold, first they get you to vote for them, and then is bigger money comes along they quit and run. How could anyone vote for a candidate who resigned an office to seek another office?

owensjef2
owensjef2 07/25/10 - 05:05 am
Oh Boy, 'mama grizzlies'

Oh Boy, 'mama grizzlies'

johnston.cliff
johnston.cliff 07/25/10 - 05:22 am
Palin represents two things

Palin represents two things the left despises. Individualism and honesty. Combine that with her good looks and success at everything she attempts, and you have a tremendous "reason"for disliking the former governor. The same envious fools that criticize Palin grovel at the feet of Hillary. Go figure.

omnomnom
omnomnom 07/25/10 - 06:04 am
Palin definitely should have

Palin definitely should have stayed in the kitchen. Yikes. She's almost a spoof.

handoff57
handoff57 07/25/10 - 06:22 am
Teach them right from wrong,

Teach them right from wrong, let them see you work for something, have your opinion be known and count for something. When they're grown enough to fly, kick em outta the nest. Sounds like a great Mom to me, unlike a lot of the mom's nowdays that let the grandmothers raise their child while they're wit the baby daddy and they stay in their perents pocket because the baby need dat cel phone. But then I guess that's why she's a republican, she taught her children these lessons, none of them believe the country owes them a paycheck. She wasn't being investigated for anything, that's a bunch of bull floated by the Clinton News Network. She didn't think she could accomplish anything else with all the news-media surrounding her all the time.
Oh, my Mom had me in church every Sunday and to this day I know every song in the Baptist hymnal, and unknown to her, when I was in my late teens, I knew half the girls in my church in ways my Mom would have passed out had she known. But I still got the lessons and moral values from church and have worked all my life. But when the urge hits, it hits strong, and if all these prim and proper folks would be honest, they went through it too. At least they stood up and said yes it happened, and didn't hide it and put it out for adoption. Or how'd they do it back in your day?? Oh, little Suzy went to stay with her cousin this year to study Nothern ettiquette. Then all of a sudden, Little Suzy's parents dedcide to adopt. But you proptect her virtues and the family's good name.
Have a nice day,,

ispy4u
ispy4u 07/25/10 - 07:17 am
" Individualism and honesty".

" Individualism and honesty". ROTFLMAO. Thanks for the much needed laugh. The "Individualism" part is right. She only cares about Palin. The "Honesty" part is something else. I do not know her well enough to comment on that. However, no one I know is afraid of her or any other Republican. I know it makes your ego feel better to think so but I really hate to tell you this, we are not.

chascush
chascush 07/25/10 - 07:32 am
corgimom, ‘No, she resigned

corgimom, ‘No, she resigned because she was going to get investigated for ethics violations,’
It seems all liberal women hate successful conservative women. If you are a conservative woman and have a family the left goes out of their way to demonize you. The liberal women go out of their way to demonize especially if they are attractive. Perhaps it is mostly a case of the old female jealousy?
corigimon, you didn’t bother to say all the allegations proved to be lies.
Palin resigned because the liberal/progressives had people all over Alaska trying to dig up dirt. The George Soros group had hundreds of people in Alaska digging. They spent $100 of thousands and when they could fine no real dirt except her teenage daughter had a baby they resorted to lies. Palin said she had over $500.000 in legal fees and it was hurting the state of Alaska. I’m not a big fan of Palin for president but she would be MUCH better than the piece of excrement we have now.

justthefacts
justthefacts 07/25/10 - 07:57 am
Whether the left is scared of

Whether the left is scared of Sarah Palin is debatable I guess, but the fact that they are obsessed with her is not.

OnlyinAgs2
OnlyinAgs2 07/25/10 - 07:59 am
This woman resigned because

This woman resigned because she knew she could make more money doing what she's doing now versus sitting behind a governors desk. I see after she "refudiated" last week with her DUMBNESS she hasn't really tweeted as much. Olberman speaks the truth when he says: "This woman is an idiot" NUFF SAID.

crackerjack
crackerjack 07/25/10 - 08:35 am
Why is it a Woman is

Why is it a Woman is criticized for having a career that takes her away from her children, with at least a stay-at-home dad, but doesn't say anything about the men that do this all the time. Liberal women, and I use that term loosely, because if they were liberal, they would support women's freedom from the double standards. Where was NOW when she and her children were being falsely attacked by the media? With armies of left-wingers swarming to Alaska to try to dig up dirt for George Soros on the Palin family, all they could find or make up is about Bristol, having a baby out of wedlock, which most of the Democrats do as a badge of honor(MO MONEY). At least Bristol doesn't have to flip a coin to figure out who the baby daddy is.

stewartist
stewartist 07/25/10 - 08:34 am
It's amazing to read the

It's amazing to read the ignorant rants from the "Left". Liberals are clearly full of hate, their lives are miserable because of being uneducated and dependent on the govt. hand-outs, they hate the foundation of our country's origin and have to put the blame on others. They're ignorance fails to see what the current president is doing to destroy this great country from within. Personal responsibility, individualism, less govt. and capitalism is what made this country what it is today...those of you who are too cowardly to except these qualities can go live in a communist country.

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 07/25/10 - 08:45 am
I wonder why everyone hates

I wonder why everyone hates this lady.

She gave one of the, if not THE, best VP acceptance speeches at the RNC convention I have ever seen.

She is a typical American in her lack of expert knowledge about Africa and such, but she seems to have the problems we have at home nailed down pretty well.

I don't care if you know where the Blight of Biafra is, only that you can manage my public affairs.

I like Palin for some reason. Maybe it is because she reminds me of the strong ladies in my family and maybe it is because she so inflames the very people that put corrupt values in front of our country's needs.

As a Southern Democrat and I'm not sure how I feel about Roy Barnes given his open and continued support for Charles Walker. I worked and loved Charles too, but he was wrong and I cannot support someone who put politics above the law, like Roy is doing.

What I am saying is that I may be voting for Handel if she wins and if not, the Libertarian. Palin's endorsement does sway me some I must say.

Brad

chascush
chascush 07/25/10 - 08:40 am
OnlyinAgs, ‘Olberman speaks

OnlyinAgs, ‘Olberman speaks the truth when he says: "This woman is an idiot" NUFF SAID.’
Keep getting your info from MSNBC, you only get the facts there. Listen to MSNBC along with the black leaders and the DUMocrats that are preaching racism in the black communities and black churches and you will be really well informed.
As I said I’m not a big fan of Palin for president but she would be MUCH better than the piece of excrement we have now.
See ya at the 8/28 rally.

crackerjack
crackerjack 07/25/10 - 08:47 am
Brad.....I think they might

Brad.....I think they might hate her because she knows who the father of their children is, and in the Democratic party, a complete family is the exception, not the rule. And she can make her own decisions, without trying to figure out what lie she can tell to squeeze another check from the government.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 07/25/10 - 08:48 am
crackerjack, stewartist, Brad

crackerjack, stewartist, Brad Owens, chascush, It would be nice to have you join us "Meeting Of The Minds" 1300 hrs, Tue 27th at 1101 Broad. Email me for head count.

OnlyinAgs2
OnlyinAgs2 07/25/10 - 08:55 am
Ummm colbalt is that a

Ummm colbalt is that a republican only meeting? Are all races welcome, why no invite to me, justus, grouse, kingjames, just to name a few.

weallneed
weallneed 07/25/10 - 08:59 am
Wow... the Palin hate is

Wow... the Palin hate is still as strong as ever, and she's not even running for office. Saul Alinsky would be proud. Your bigotry and hatred is clear. Anyone other than a fanatic leftist can see this.

chascush
chascush 07/25/10 - 09:02 am
George, I would like to

George, I would like to attend but I afraid I can’t on the 27th.

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 07/25/10 - 09:03 am
Cobalt, Thanks for the invite

Cobalt,

Thanks for the invite but I live and work in West Africa so I won't be able to come.

Onlyin Ags2, I am not a Republican thank you, just open minded.

Brad

weallneed
weallneed 07/25/10 - 09:07 am
Saul Alinsky's "Rules For

Saul Alinsky's "Rules For Radicals" outlines this--- "Pick the target, freeze it, personalize it, and polarize it. ... Go after people and not institutions; people hurt faster than institutions." This is the tactic behind all the Palin hate. Notice how it's all about HER. Nothing about her ideas. It's always "she's an idiot ; why doesn't she pay attention to her kids ; ethics violations ; etc." One big argumentum ad hominem (attack the person not their argument/ideas logical fallacy). Leftism is a religion. The religion dictates in all things there is the oppressed and the oppressor. The former can do no wrong. The latter can do no right. All decisions stem from there. If that doesn't scare you...

OnlyinAgs2
OnlyinAgs2 07/25/10 - 09:09 am
Oh ok Brad, then colbalt you

Oh ok Brad, then colbalt you must be only inviting people who look like Brad can I get an invite?

chascush
chascush 07/25/10 - 09:12 am
OnlyinAgs, ‘OMG seems you

OnlyinAgs, ‘OMG seems you hate the black community, black churches, black preachers... seems kinda white of you don't you think.’

I don’t hate anyone because of the color of their skin. But the truth is the black leaders and DUMocrats are doing serious harm to black people. There will never be racial harmony as long as this goes on. But that is the way a lot of black leaders and the DUMocrats want it. The black leaders do it for power and $ and the DUMocrats do it to stay in office.
I understand why you think I hate black people when I’m only speaking the truth that is most likely the way you have been trained.

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/25/10 - 09:14 am
Now Brad just because you're

Now Brad just because you're in West Africa is not enough reason NOT to come on Tuesday...(joking)...& Onlyinaugs....I haven't seen CG ignore ANYONE who wants to come.....go to his profile & email him You want to come.....& then put your money were your mouth is!!

dani
dani 07/25/10 - 09:19 am
Oh, yes. She has certainly

Oh, yes. She has certainly grabbed the attention of the leftists. A huge hurrah for Sarah!

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 07/25/10 - 09:36 am
seenitB4, I can do it if it

seenitB4,

I can do it if it is via the internet. Anyone have wireless high speed and a Skype acount?

The Internets is a great thing...a series of tubes...that information passes through...

Brad

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 07/25/10 - 09:40 am
OnlyinAgs2 > I don't know how

OnlyinAgs2 > I don't know how to say this, But when you threw out The RACE card @ 9:55 & 10:09 was when you answered your own question.

Never once at any of our get together's has the word Race ever been mentioned. Their has been meetings when Blacks have attended and were invited.

We are nothing more than American citizens who get together in a civil manor and talk about our lives. No discussions are allowed on religion, politics, sexual issues, Race or even conversations about our SMCICBHO.

I don't believe you and some of the ones you mentioned by your many post could hold to those rules and allow us to enjoy the company of each other.

I have a suggestion, why don't you plan get together's and have your own rules and meeting of the minds.

I know you will come back with the race card, but that is OK.

Sorry, I speak for myself only.