Anderson campaign questions whether Barrow used government cars in ad

The latest daily accusation in the hotly contested 12th Congressional District race involves cars used in a TV campaign commercial for Democratic incumbent John Barrow.

THE CANDIDATES

Ryan Mahoney, the spokesman for state Rep. Lee Anderson, is questioning where Barrow got a line of identical cars seen in the congressman’s ad touting his role in slashing government fleets. Mahoney said it “would be the height of hypocrisy” if Barrow used government resources to make his point.

“It’s time for Barrow to fess up and let us know where he got the cars and how much did it cost the taxpayers to film his commercial? We are all waiting,” Mahoney wrote in an e-mail, adding that Burke County residents in the district were wondering about the fleet of cars they saw going up and down a county road.

Barrow spokesman Richard Carbo had a quick response: The cars were airport rental cars that merely resembled a Government Services Administration fleet.

“We rented 20 cars from Enterprise at Augusta airport,” Carbo said. “We’ll call them ‘props’ for the commercial.”

Officials with the Burke County sheriff’s office and roads department were familiar with the commercial but had no recollection Wednesday of the road, Barnhart Drive, being closed or otherwise used to film a political advertisement.

In a response, Mahoney called Carbo’s comment “sassy” and asked who was driving the cars, what agency closed the road and why the cars have logos on them that Enterprise Rent-A-Car does not use. In the commercial, the cars appear to have blurred-out logos of some sort on their driver doors.

Carbo said that volunteers drove the rented cars and that the rural road probably wasn’t closed on the Saturday in August when the commercial was filmed.

“No taxpayer funds were used for anything,” he said.

Carbo provided The Augusta Chronicle a copy of an expense document showing that Friends of John Barrow paid $3,499.33 for 18 rental cars on Aug. 13. He said the logos were sign magnets the campaign used to make the cars appear to be government vehicles.

Barrow’s ad preceded the House of Representatives’ passage last week of a bipartisan resolution he helped author that cut the budget for future Government Services Administration fleet purchases, excluding vehicles used for national security, by 20 percent.

Barrow, who is seeking re-election in a redrawn and more heavily Republican district, and his Republican opponent from Grovetown have yet to meet face to face to discuss issues.

Since he was declared the winner of an Aug. 21 runoff with Augusta businessman Rick Allen, Anderson has refused several invitations to debate Barrow, who now lives in Augusta.

“If Mr. Anderson has any more questions, we’re happy to discuss them at any one of the debates we’ve both been invited to,” a statement from Barrow said.

omnomnom
omnomnom 09/26/12 - 05:27 pm
huh. a hayseed grasping at

huh. a hayseed grasping at straws.

well butter my gru and call me a biscuit

SON of Scoob
SON of Scoob 09/26/12 - 05:54 pm
Lee Anderson

I will preface my comments by saying I am a life long conservative and have never voted for a liberal. This year's election for the 12th Congressional District has got me in a quandary. I don't know Lee Anderson, but I will assume he is a fine man.

My problem is his inability to express his beliefs in an acceptable manner consistent with good grammar. His sentence structure is non existent. He comes across as an ignorant hayseed. He is pitiful. My 12 year old grandson speaks much better than Lee Anderson.

How Anderson became the nominee over Wright McLeod and Rick Allen is a mystery to me. Both are infinitely more skilled and qualified.

I cannot vote to send Lee Anderson to Washington to represent this area. If he ever does attempt to express his views it will be a total embarrassment.

laro247
laro247 09/26/12 - 06:35 pm
lee anderson

I agree with other commentors concerns with Mr. Anderson's inability to express himself in a verbal manner that would be acceptable with the position he seeks. Hiding under your bed is no way to campaign. I too vote conservative but I feel like I am being asked to vote for Buford T. Justice.

SON of Scoob
SON of Scoob 09/26/12 - 08:02 pm
Anderson's Campaign

Making a big deal about Barrow's advertisement about the excessive number of government cars and did he really use government cars to make the advertisement is ridiculous. Barrow rented the cars and paid for them from campaign contributions.

If this is the best shot Anderson's campaign can come up with then they are as pitiful as their candidate.

Techfan
Techfan 09/27/12 - 04:19 am
Lee could ask him about it in a debate.

Lee could ask him about it in a debate. What a grand idea.

wildman
wildman 09/27/12 - 04:26 am
Really

If this is the best that Lee Anderson can do then my mind is made up. He will not step out and speak in public, will not debate his opponent but has his manager go after Barrow over a commercial. Lee, if you you want the job then you should start acting like it. I like the other people that commented normally vote conservative, but...

Retired Army
Retired Army 09/27/12 - 06:08 am
Found him

For those of you who haven't seen or met the man, here he is trashing a decent and honest fellow Republican:

brendadale
brendadale 09/27/12 - 08:22 am
debate is a waste of time

What does Lee have to gain by debating? Barrow will distort the facts and, everyone already knows the truth. He does support Obama's agenda. Lee may not be eloquent in his speech making, however, he will represent the people in a fair and Christian manner. Lee speaks exactly how he believes and does not make a big to do about it. Elect Lee Anderson not Obama/Barrow.

Pickett
Pickett 09/27/12 - 12:05 pm
This is really scary

I may do something that goes against everything I believe in and just do a "no vote" for this election. I cannot, in good conscience, vote for Anderson and I just refuse to ever vote for a Democrat again. If Anderson gets elected, he could end up setting the whole GA Republican Party back about 50 years.
More speaking goodness. Enjoy:

Jake
Jake 09/27/12 - 03:54 pm
Lee Anderson

Thanks to the posters who posted links to the videos. The man is very entertaining in a Sen. Claghorn (think foghorn leghorn) kind of way. I could back him. Of course I don't live in his region.

Retired Army
Retired Army 09/27/12 - 05:01 pm
brendadale 09/27/12 - 08:22 am

Writes "What does Lee have to gain by debating?"

Uuuuum public credibility. Does the ol' Kuntry saying of "Pig in a poke" have anything to do with this?