Government SPLOST 7 | | | Editor

Augusta-Richmond County Committee for Good Government endorses candidates, TSPLOST

Wednesday, July 11, 2012 11:15 AM
Last updated 11:43 PM

At Tuesday night’s meeting, the Augusta-Richmond County Committee for Good Government endorsed incumbents J. Carlisle Overstreet for Superior Court Judge and Elaine Johnson for Clerk of Court.

The political group also voted to support the Transportation Special Purpose Local Option Sales Tax, or TSPLOST, according to a statement released by President Richard Isdell.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 07/11/12 - 12:42 pm
No to Tax

The TSPLOST is the wrong thing at the wrong time.

You know, TSPLOST might have had a fighting chance at being accepted by the public if it had been combined with a corresponding reduction in the gasoline per gallon tax, or if the TSPLOST had been combined with taking the sales tax off gasoline.

But no, we still have to pay the per-gallon tax on gasoline and diesel, and we have to pay sales tax on gasoline, and they want us to approve taxing ourselves with another 1-cent-on-the-dollar general sales tax to pay for roads. Well, the per-gallon gasoline tax was supposed to pay for roads, and look how DOT squanders that money. They won't do any better by our giving them more money.

Vote NO! on TSPLOST.

blues550
blues550 07/11/12 - 06:13 pm

No new tax. Period.

jbartley
jbartley 07/11/12 - 10:04 pm
No more taxes!!!

NO TSPLOST it is a TAX!!!

Cestlavie
Cestlavie 07/12/12 - 02:07 am
Just say NO to TSPOLST!!!

Just say NO to TSPOLST!!!

Augusta resident
Augusta resident 07/12/12 - 04:12 am
$400,000 to x-mart. $500,000

$400,000 to x-mart. $500,000 for a downtown parking study. I'm sure I'm missing a lot of other waste. Now they want me to pay more taxes? I don't think so. I live close enough to do all of my shopping in North Augusta anyway.

Craig Spinks
Craig Spinks 07/12/12 - 05:09 am
TSPLOST

Yesterday on Washington Road near Euchee Creek, didn't I see a GDOT electronic sign promoting the TSPLOST?

When did state transportation department bureaucrats obtain the right to use state equipment to take a political position?

Riverman1
172075
Riverman1 07/12/12 - 05:13 am
Local options sales taxes

Local options sales taxes began as a one cent TEMPORARY TAX. This will make it three cents and none of them are temporary.

jmo
jmo 07/12/12 - 06:31 am
Read My Lips

"No New Taxes"

Vote NO on TSPLOST

avidreader
avidreader 07/12/12 - 08:12 am
No! No! No!

I thought that purchasing car tags was the means for transportation improvements. Am I missing something? There are no entitlements for car tags, so everyone pays if they want to drive a car.

No more new taxes or tax increasements of any kind!

nocnoc
nocnoc 07/25/12 - 07:47 am
Sorry won't change my mind

Again NO. on TSPLOST

To the normally Apolitical Augusta-Richmond County Committee for Good Government. The quote on your website, when I checked, pretty much sums up my thoughts.

"If you forfeit the confidence of your fellow citizens, you can never regain their respect and esteem." President Abraham Lincoln

GA-DOT and wasteful politicians have forfeited that confidence.