Augusta mayoral candidate Helen Blocker-Adams had multiple eviction notices, records show

Even more financial baggage surfaced Wednesday on Augusta mayoral candidate Helen Blocker-Adams.

Richmond County Marshal’s Office records show that between June 2007 and January 2013 Blocker-Adams was served with eviction or dispossessory notices more than 40 times at two Augusta apartment complexes.

The pro-business candidate, for whom former presidential candidate Herman Cain headlined a February fundraiser, acknowledged Tuesday that she was far behind on payments on three Aiken County court judgments totaling more than $70,000.

Blocker-Adams said Tuesday that she thought the debts were paid off because creditors stopped corresponding for several years. One of the creditors said he contacted her last week, and a court notice showed she was informed of a $12,000 debt last year.

The civil dispossessory and eviction actions are included in a searchable database on the city Web site created to help landlords identify problematic tenants who don’t pay rent or otherwise violate the terms of a lease, said Marshal Steve Smith.

Landlords pay a fee to have a dispossessory notice personally served to a tenant who hasn’t paid rent, Smith said. If the tenant doesn’t respond, the second action is evicting the tenant.

Woodcrest Apartments off Sibley Road had Blocker-Adams served with a dispossessory notice 29 times and eight times with an eviction notice between 2007 and 2011, according to records.

More recently, Hunters Run apartments had her served with dispossessory notices in September 2012 and January 2013.

Blocker-Adams offered the explanation Tuesday that her unpaid debts were a common phenomenon, and that hers came about during a dark period of her life.

She said little Wednesday about why she had nearly lost her Augusta apartment so many times.

“I will make a statement at a designated time,” she said.

triscuit
triscuit 05/14/14 - 09:35 pm
Not excusing her

Not excusing her irresponsibility but I'd bet the farm this is a premeditated plan of attack by the Davis campaign. Not Davis himself, he is too fine a man, but those power brokers who stand to gain the most from being able to pull his strings.

internationallyunknown
internationallyunknown 05/14/14 - 09:40 pm
Welp.

Welp.

raul
raul 05/14/14 - 09:42 pm
However it came to be, it

However it came to be, it needed to be brought out. The voters have a right to know. If they still vote for her, it's on them.

Butterman
Butterman 05/14/14 - 09:42 pm
Triscuit

I agree that Davis does seem like a decent man. However he has allowed some pretty slimey folks known for playing dirty politics to run his campaign and I would not put it past them to do this. Helen ought to stay in the race though. 3,600 early ballots have already been cast.

WarrenvilleRepublican
WarrenvilleRepublican 05/14/14 - 09:43 pm
Actions Have Consequences

You don't pay your rent, you get evicted. You don't pay your bills, bill collectors come calling. You run for Mayor, your dirty laundry goes on display. For any candidate to have this recent negative financial picture and still choose to run, I can only comment to say that they brought this on themselves.

bubbasauce
bubbasauce 05/14/14 - 09:46 pm
Wow! $70,000.00 !!! Thought

Wow! $70,000.00 !!! Thought debts had been paid off? How stupid does she think people are? Really? That's who we need as a leader in Augusta. She will fit right in!

Austin Rhodes
Austin Rhodes 05/14/14 - 09:54 pm
This information surfaced...

...because of a good friend of mine who knows the rental property business like the back of her hand. She has sent me similar information on many others through the years...and she is not connected to any campaign.

gargoyle
19575
gargoyle 05/14/14 - 10:28 pm
I thank those who air out

I thank those who air out facts and history of public office seekers. Would it be better to find out after a vote is cast? I feel its up to the person who casts the ballot to check the validity and weigh the importance of what is reported. A smart ship owner picks a captain by evaluating past performance and character . As long as puffery and innuendo is weeded out let politicians go at it and all records should be explored. Otherwise elections degenerate into wet T shirt contests with the best plastic surgeon winning.

Butterman
Butterman 05/14/14 - 10:30 pm
So why now?

Helen made her intentions known quite a while back that she wanted to run for mayor.. Where were all of these people back last year when she first announced she was going to run? Seems like they would have come to her privately and said "hey girlfriend, you might want to think twice about running for mayor because all of this stuff will come out eventually." Instead they all wait a week before election day to spring a big surprise. Why? If this was all known years ago.. why not take her out of the race before she started gaining momentum.

showboat
showboat 05/14/14 - 10:45 pm
PLEASE DROP OUT OF THE RACE

PLEASE DROP OUT OF THE RACE ASP!!!!!!!!!!!!

triscuit
triscuit 05/14/14 - 10:54 pm
Austin,

Did you also announce your "friend's" insider information on those other people on your's and Harley Drew's show? Or did you just get a conscience now?

specsta
specsta 05/14/14 - 11:07 pm
Hard Times

Okay, Helen was broke, big deal. Let's move on.

Lack of funds doesn't mean a lack of vision.

Austin Rhodes
Austin Rhodes 05/14/14 - 11:18 pm
What are you talking about Triscuit...

...and my conscience is just fine, thanks for asking!

-------------

Oh...sorry...see what you mean now. Yes, I did.

shamrock
shamrock 05/14/14 - 11:25 pm
Ignore List

The reason I put someone on an IGNORE list is so I can IGNORE them! I hate seeing the jerk's photo and a reminder I IGNORED them each time they make a comment on here!!! Until this chnages, at least I can give them a "thumbs down" each time.

habersham100
habersham100 05/15/14 - 03:03 am
Blocker-Adams,,,

Lord knows, she must really be a threat, eh? Otherwise, Austin's "friend" would have "found" and "shared" this information before now when so many have already cast their ballots... Well, I suppose she is a threat to some, or certainly could be. Now that Austin has weighed in against her,I feel much better about MY vote, and I won't be one to ask Ms. Bailey for my ballot back so I can change my vote for her. Who ever heard of a totally honest politician anyway???

Who did you say you were supporting, Austin???

iaaffg
iaaffg 05/15/14 - 03:55 am
lack of funds doesn't equate

lack of funds doesn't equate to lack of vision? well, maybe not, but i don't think that is the point here. the point is this woman who can't 'remember' she owes 70,000, or conveniently 'forgets' it AND paying her rent umpteem times to where she is served umpteem eviction notices, wants to be a 'leader', wants to hold an office that entails a certain amount of responsibility and integrity, both qualities that are glaringly obvious she must lack. i would have thought more of her had she stood up and claimed personal responsibility for her foibles, instead of acting like it all falls on someone else's shoulders. once again, a 'politician' points the finger at someone else for their shortcomings. and her "i will address this at a designated time' is a crock....she needs time to come up with a good story and anyone with half a brain knows that the story she does finally concoct will be just that: a confabulation adapted to make her look like she's the poor little victim and 'someone else' is to blame.

Dixieman
Dixieman 05/15/14 - 04:23 am
This will attract new voters for her

Her creditors will vote for here because if she's elected, they will have something (her mayoral salary) to garnish.
"Vote for Helen -- If elected, maybe she'll pay you back!"

Riverman1
Riverman1 05/15/14 - 05:04 am
Chronicle Behind The Eight Ball

The Chronicle often described her as an author, entrepreneur and motivational speaker. I had so much fun with that. What she should do now is start a website about how to improve your credit score and how to get free government money. Who runs the Chronicle these days?

nocnoc
nocnoc 05/15/14 - 05:58 am
This is a good example on why Vetting candidates

Before any candidate is elected to office, is a duty of the media.

I only wish the national media was as diligent, as some local media and people posting the info. Think of the grief it would have saved America if the national media was doing its job, instead of choosing sides.

Serious question and few logical points:
Local media is not being totally upfront about finally releasing the info, so I have to ask.

Why so long in releasing the info?
This isn't something that wasn't unseen or unknown in coming.
The sky just did not suddenly opened up and rained sorrow on Helen's campaign. There is going to be a lot of tap dancing by some NEWS people and Media Talking heads.

Too many people knew:
Those owed $$$$$ knew and wanted their $$$$$ back.
The Apt Mgr.'s knew and wanted some blood.
The Court Systems knew and should have already sent a Marshall out for her.

SO WE STILL HAVE AN ANSWER OWED US BY THE MEDIA
Why so long in breaking the story and why just days before election?

Having worked mid to upper level in a number of elections, I see this as a well timed political ploy. The campaign Manager(s) that pulled this off deserve a major KUDO for professional campaigning skills.

As a closing thought think about this?
If she had managed to hold off the media and get elected
where was Augusta headed with her as Mayor? These business problems could have lead to all types of related problems that would have place Augusta Gov at risk. Blackmail, Arrest, and etc..

my.voice
my.voice 05/15/14 - 05:54 am
Austin, Too late to join the

Austin,
Too late to join the conversation now, you had your opportunity Monday and chose to sit on it. Had this information been about Richard Roundtree you would have gone into extra innings. I'm disappointed in you, but I guess truth is a subjective commodity even with you.

curly123053
curly123053 05/15/14 - 06:11 am
Goodbye Helen

She can put up her mayoral signs now for good. No community needs a fiscally irresponsible person leading them.

rebellious
rebellious 05/15/14 - 06:16 am
A Visionary

we don't need. We need a Statesman in the weak Mayor position. Hardie Davis is that person.

Willow Bailey
20603
Willow Bailey 05/15/14 - 06:48 am
duplicate

duplicate

Willow Bailey
20603
Willow Bailey 05/15/14 - 06:31 am
I would love to take HBA to

I would love to take HBA to lunch and give her a hug, but she should not be in charge of public funds and represent Augusta. Hardie Davis is the only candidate who is suitable for the position.

story1
story1 05/15/14 - 07:03 am
Unfortunately

HBA was the sacrificial lamb for the heavies in downtown Augusta. Vote Mr. Mason and No Splost 7. At least until they take the questionable items out and present a more reasonable plan.

edcushman
edcushman 05/15/14 - 07:14 am
"No community needs a

"No community needs a fiscally irresponsible person leading them."
Well that would eliminate most of the candidates for mayor and about 1/2 of the RC commissioners.

redfish
redfish 05/15/14 - 07:16 am
What a surprise...

A person with bad credit and poor financial history seeking elected office in the Augusta government, what a shock! 60% of the local population see nothing wrong with not paying debts, bills, rent, etc. Helen is simply a reflection of her community.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 05/15/14 - 07:26 am
Stick a fork in her. Forever.

Stick a fork in her. Forever.

Austin Rhodes
Austin Rhodes 05/15/14 - 07:28 am
Nocnoc & My.voice...

The big packet of info on Helen was dropped off to me and the Chronicle Monday...I read part of it on the air (no names included, because I had not had the opportunity to VET the info) that day, the full story was told Tuesday morning, and later Tuesday afternoon...24 hours after it was delivered.

The info that appears in THIS article, the apartment dispossess episodes, were uncovered by a friend of mine yesterday afternoon, and revealed within 3 hours of being in my hands. How much quicker do you think I should have been?

BTW...there were two "red herrings" that came in last Friday, one involving Columbia County candidates and prison time (completely fabricated), and the other involving a RC school board candidate with a sex crimes history (same name, different person)

Had I been running my show YOUR way...I would have two lawsuits on my hands. I don't "cover" for anyone, but I also don't put every story that comes down the pike on the air without proper investigation and background.

Edward1968
Edward1968 05/15/14 - 07:36 am
Triscuit and my.voice

You hit the nail on the head with Austin. Too bad more people don't see this of him.

Georgia Regents' hospital plan chosen