Augusta mayoral candidate Helen Blocker-Adams had multiple eviction notices, records show

Even more financial baggage surfaced Wednesday on Augusta mayoral candidate Helen Blocker-Adams.

Richmond County Marshal’s Office records show that between June 2007 and January 2013 Blocker-Adams was served with eviction or dispossessory notices more than 40 times at two Augusta apartment complexes.

The pro-business candidate, for whom former presidential candidate Herman Cain headlined a February fundraiser, acknowledged Tuesday that she was far behind on payments on three Aiken County court judgments totaling more than $70,000.

Blocker-Adams said Tuesday that she thought the debts were paid off because creditors stopped corresponding for several years. One of the creditors said he contacted her last week, and a court notice showed she was informed of a $12,000 debt last year.

The civil dispossessory and eviction actions are included in a searchable database on the city Web site created to help landlords identify problematic tenants who don’t pay rent or otherwise violate the terms of a lease, said Marshal Steve Smith.

Landlords pay a fee to have a dispossessory notice personally served to a tenant who hasn’t paid rent, Smith said. If the tenant doesn’t respond, the second action is evicting the tenant.

Woodcrest Apartments off Sibley Road had Blocker-Adams served with a dispossessory notice 29 times and eight times with an eviction notice between 2007 and 2011, according to records.

More recently, Hunters Run apartments had her served with dispossessory notices in September 2012 and January 2013.

Blocker-Adams offered the explanation Tuesday that her unpaid debts were a common phenomenon, and that hers came about during a dark period of her life.

She said little Wednesday about why she had nearly lost her Augusta apartment so many times.

“I will make a statement at a designated time,” she said.

Willow Bailey
20618
Willow Bailey 05/15/14 - 08:33 am
Yes, edcushman, and

Yes, edcushman, and eliminated they should be!
One does not need to be wealthy to have integrity, but they must be honest and a good steward of what they have to qualify to manage the funds of others.

Marinerman1
Marinerman1 05/15/14 - 08:34 am
Say What You Want, BUT.....

While HBA may have skeletons coming out of her closet, a segment of ARC elected the same kind of individual as HBA -- "I can't pay my property taxes", "I have a copy of Fred Russell's hard drive", Marion Williams.

nocnoc
nocnoc 05/15/14 - 08:41 am
Austin - there is a problem in what you say....

Too many of us know how good you are at digging up dirt and the enormous connections you have. (serious)

So if you are 1/2 as good as we sometimes begrudgingly must admit
there lays the problem in your statement.

Many feel you are too good, not to have know earlier.
In short you are fighting your own persona.

Btw: while we pick at you from time to time many of us appreciate your skills and community service.

Austin Rhodes
Austin Rhodes 05/15/14 - 08:40 am
Edward1968

You have a reading comprehension problem? How much more quickly should UNVETTED information be put on the air?

Edward1968
Edward1968 05/15/14 - 08:46 am
Austin

My comment was posted before I read your reply and explanation of why you didn't post the information sooner. Too bad you didn't consider that possibility. But I guess that is just you being you.

Willow Bailey
20618
Willow Bailey 05/15/14 - 08:42 am
Marinerman1, that kind of

Marinerman1, that kind of thinking says, previous mistakes justify future ones. Also the information on Williams did not surface until after he was elected, although it likely would have made no difference in his district. As a community and a nation, we need to think forward by taking what we have learned and making better decisions.

Austin Rhodes
Austin Rhodes 05/15/14 - 08:47 am
Nocnoc...

I learn new stuff all the time. While I would love to say I am better, smarter, and prettier than everyone else in local media, the searchable database with the Marshal's dept was a new one on me. Never heard of it before yesterday.

...and with the earlier info...unless we run AIKEN COUNTY background checks on all local Georgia candidates, we may never know what else is out there...

I strongly suggest we ask for financial background info for all candidates for important office. That is the only way to make sure these things are known.

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 05/15/14 - 08:48 am
She is

the answer to all of y'alls problems: black, female and financially challanged. democrats love those traits in a woman. "The War on Women Continues". And coyotes don't have fleas.

Austin Rhodes
Austin Rhodes 05/15/14 - 08:50 am
Edward1968

I have been discussing this nonstop on my show...and my show's Facebook page since it started. Also there is a full column on this topic currently running in the Spirit. Shoot me your address, and I will make sure to come by your house and give you the musical version of the story, complete with laser light show.

b1
b1 05/15/14 - 08:56 am
unbelievable

She needs to bow out of the race. no way she needs to be a mayor with these issues.
Just throwing this in...Vote YES for splost. 40% is funded from people that live outside Richmond County. that is a no brainer!

Riverman1
Riverman1 05/15/14 - 09:03 am
Hey, this may help her with

Hey, this may help her with some segment of the voters actually. She appeared to be a little weak in that category previously. Remember Marion Barry?

dichotomy
dichotomy 05/15/14 - 09:03 am
The real problem here is why

The real problem here is why is this just coming out. Early voting has been going on a while. Do we have ANY media, news, ANYONE in this town who actually does any kind of investigative reporting....you know....like actually digging up information that is apparently public and not too hard to find. Or do all of our news and media people wait for someone to leave a completed packet by the door? That could explain a lot about why we end up with some of the clowns we get on our commission.

If we had ANY real news media in Augusta we would have known about all of this about 2 days after qualifying ended.

Or like someone else suggested.....was this the "1 week before election day bombshell GOTCHA".

Maybe we have low information voters because we have low information local media who can't seem to discover any facts unless somebody gathers the information, lays out a briefing, puts it all in a packet and delivers it to them. Or maybe that is the way the local media wants to keep us so they can control who gets elected. Maybe the local reporters have to wait for their bosses permission to time the release of the dirt.

corgimom
corgimom 05/15/14 - 09:18 am
This isn't an "attack" on

This isn't an "attack" on HBA, but the truth.

Voters have a right to know if their candidates are financially irresponsible.

She seems to have a problem with paying her bills.

Austin Rhodes
Austin Rhodes 05/15/14 - 09:25 am
Dicho...

The Marshal's searchable database is a new one on me, as I said before. The only way to know this stuff about a person, the financial background, is to run a confirmed credit check, complete with SS numbers. Doing that type of thing without proper permission, or reason, I believe is illegal.

Ironically, REVEALING what the illegal background check uncovers, is NOT illegal. Go figure.

The Aiken County stuff is kind of a fluke, because she is running for Georgia office. The reason we had it "delivered" to us, is that the guy who is owed the money decided he wanted to release it.

Willow Bailey
20618
Willow Bailey 05/15/14 - 09:30 am
Why attack the messenger? And

Why attack the messenger?
And if something really matters to you, it's relatively easy to do your own investigating. Just saying.

It's also more important than "paying the bills". It's about owning what is true, learning from our mistakes, and making the right decisions. She's had way too many learning opportunities to keep on this destructive path. That doesn't make her a bad person, just not one who is up to the challenge of this office.

Riverman1
Riverman1 05/15/14 - 09:51 am
Austin NOT Talking...Heh

Yeah, Amen to what Willow says and all that. I hope HBA works it all out. But for goodness sakes, don't get on Austin for NOT talking. We are usually trying to get him to shut up.

Riverman1
Riverman1 05/15/14 - 09:55 am
Anyone Could Run A Credit Check

I think most anyone could run a credit check on you. When you try out cars at a dealership, don't they usually do that? The thing with HBA and the Chronicle is that she had been around so long everyone thought they knew everything about her. Michael Ryan cut her too much slack always is my take on the endorsement. The red flag to me is she had never actually DONE anything. The Chronicle whitewashed all that.

Austin Rhodes
Austin Rhodes 05/15/14 - 10:00 am
HBA's career centers on "community organizing"...

Seriously...so a tangible track record is a bit difficult to disclose even under the best of conditions...

As far as running a credit check...the only accurate credit checks must include SS numbers and date of birth. I do believe that running an unauthorized check is illegal.

prov227
prov227 05/15/14 - 10:19 am
Community organizing ...

Who else do we know who came from the profession of "community organizing"? And which community is being organized? "Community organizing", code for "running for office". We need to reduce the allowances (salaries) of all elected offices in Richmond County.

mllange
mllange 05/15/14 - 10:30 am
Someone must really be

Someone must really be threatened by HBA. Will the Chronicle also now run some investigative reporting into ALL other mayoral candidates finances or background. Since several commenters have mentioned that we deserve the truth on the candidates.

RivieraRed
RivieraRed 05/15/14 - 10:48 am
No Dirty Tricks

I have read some of the conspiracy theories floating around this morning and specifically set up this account to respond:
- I am the individual that released the copies of the Civil Judgments against Helen Blocker Adams on Monday. The information was released to Austin Rhodes (exactly as he has characterized) and the Augusta Chronicle late morning.
- Contrary to Ms. Adams' statements, her campaign website had received notice Sunday that these facts were to be released Monday.
- I have no direct connection to any of these candidates for Mayor. The only one I have any personal knowledge of is Ms. Adams. This release was not politically motivated but morally motivated.
- I am a personal friend of one of Ms. Adams victims.
- I have known about her failure to pay her debts or even communicate with this family for over 10 years.
- I only released the information AFTER I received permission from the victim, which occurred Friday of last week.
- As some of you have commented, this information and what it says about Ms. Adams' character is absolutely germane to this campaign.
- Ms. Adams said Tuesday that she will pay any legal obligation that she has. We should all hold her to her promise. That would reflect positively on her character.
- If she does fulfill these obligations in a timely and responsible fashion (i.e. paying her debts in full), She should be praised for doing the honorable thing and we should entertain her candidacy in the future.
- If she does NOT fulfill these obligations in full and in a timely fashion, she should not stand for election and we should reject her and anyone who victimizes others (physically, financially or psychologically).
- I hope to hear TODAY, that she has taken complete responsibility for her actions/choices, without rhetorical qualifiers and that she has committed to an aggressive plan of restoration of her financial health and her credibility. That would demonstrate humility, honesty, transparency and leadership. I anticipate we will hear more excuses, deflections and equivocation which, for me, will relegate her to the trash heap of dishonest politicians who will say anything to get elected.

In closing, this situation brings me no joy. My friend and his family have been harmed. Any individual who has purchased a Ford automobile or borrowed from any bank has been harmed by her (and others like her) who make a pledge to re-pay and don't. EVERYBODY ELSE has to pay her debt if she doesn't. That is how our economic system is and it isn't fair for innocent responsible families to have to pay for the irresponsible. I am not judging Ms. Adams but her actions. She invited we, the voters, to do so. She has this moment in the spotlight to lead and teach, as she has aspired. I will await pure, honest, true responsibility and action on her part.

Truth Matters
Truth Matters 05/15/14 - 10:54 am
Hopefully, HBA will realize

Hopefully, HBA will realize that it is possible to make a contribution to one's community without being in public office. Judging from comments here she has fostered a lot of goodwill from many in the public, but understandably not from her creditors.

Having had to take a tenant to court before, I can tell you it leaves a very bitter taste in ones mouth. I had to take off from work and travel to make the court appearance, not to mention the run around and broken promises that the bill would be paid. Being in the public eye, HBA has some serious fence mending to do with her creditors. Those who advised her to pay her debts were spot on. Also, forget about public office, you have more pressing priorities.

Riverman1
Riverman1 05/15/14 - 10:59 am
Psychological Problem?

The number of times she would be late enough on her rent to require legal action indicates more than a money problem. Does she have some kind of psychological problem?

Truth Matters
Truth Matters 05/15/14 - 11:56 am
AC endorses HBA

To me an assessment of which candidate is most qualified is relative to who else is running in said race. Just because AC gave HBA their endorsement before, did not necessarily mean she merited same endorsement this time against a different field of candidates.

I wonder if the AC felt their hand was forced by the Metro Spirit asking if they would endorse HBA again.

Many think the endorsement was political staging. For some an endorsement from the AC is a death nail. There are people who vote the opposite of the AC, no matter what. For that reason, one wonders if the endorsement of HBA was a calculation that has now back fired.

Riverman1
Riverman1 05/15/14 - 12:10 pm
The AC endorsement was not a

The AC endorsement was not a death knell for HBA. It helped her with the white voters who are a sizeable lot. I believe all this came about exactly as Austin said, more or less by accident.

So who do the white voters go to now? Alvin or Hardie? I suspect Hardie. For whatever reason, Al Mason's campaign never caught on against the machine Hardie Davis commands.

shamrock
shamrock 05/15/14 - 12:27 pm
Not Surprised

While I was a little surprised at the financial problems of HBA, I really wasn't surprised at how many people are willing to give a "pass" on the financial woes. I find it hard to believe that since failing to pay a debt is not legally theft .... it is morally. If it was, she would be facing jail time. She does not need to be the Mayor!

Sweet son
Sweet son 05/15/14 - 12:30 pm
So, Austin

why don't you post the exact link to these civil problems that HBA seems to have so the rest of us can make our own decisions.

I know you can check criminal and civil matters on the City/County site but it would be nice for you or someone would make it easier by posting the exact link.

Thanks.

Austin Rhodes
Austin Rhodes 05/15/14 - 12:34 pm
Everything I have discussed...

...is verified in this article by the AC...it is all right there on the Marshal's website.

carcraft
carcraft 05/15/14 - 01:13 pm
I supported HBA, I really do

I supported HBA, I really do hope she gets her financial act together.

srheault
srheault 05/15/14 - 02:00 pm
Really? We need intensive background checks!!

You know. This is what i don't understand. We "hire" these people but no one does a thorough background check on these dirt bags! And we acted surprised when this arises!
I apply for a job I give urine. Sign a non compete. Have a background check. Social media is checked, etc. Here is a state employee that feels "entitled" again!!

Sentinel named in 14th civil rights lawsuit

A 14th civil rights lawsuit has been filed against the private probation company Sen­tinel Offender Services, this time in the U.S. District Court’s Brunswick Division.