Augusta businessman Yu switches Senate campaign to House

Sunday, Feb. 23, 2014 6:16 AM
Last updated 6:45 PM

GAINESVILLE, Ga. -- Augusta businessman Eugene Yu announced Saturday that he has dropped out of the GOP U.S. Senate primary race to run instead for the 12th District congressional seat now held by Democrat John Barrow.

Yu had been scheduled to take part in one of a series of Republican candidate debates, this one held at Brenau University.

Yu will now have to get past John Stone and Rick Allen, who have both run in the district before and have been campaigning nearly a year each. Also, state state Rep. Delvis Dutton of Glennville who joined the race Feb. 5.

In a statement released Saturday, Yu said his Senate campaigning  led him to decide to focus on his hometown.

According to the statement:

"... This campaign has taken me all over Georgia. I have met many great people and listened to their concerns while discussing many ways to restore the American Dream. Being blessed with donors, supporters, and countless volunteers in my district, I realized that I need to give back to my hometown and my district first, where it has given me the most.Many have tried and failed, but I know I will bring the 12th Congressional seat back into Republican hands. The people of our district deserve a true conservative representing them, and with a servant's heart I will be that person.

With my campaign team running on all cylinders and with the strength of our supporters across the state, I will be the hardest working candidate during this election, focusing my attention on the needs of the people of the 12th Congressional district. Take notice John Barrow, your career as a Washington politician is coming to an end! Washington is getting a Yu Turn! "

griff6035
griff6035 02/23/14 - 08:23 am
soapy_725
soapy_725 02/23/14 - 08:24 am
What "public servant job" will yield the most graft? YU know.

What "public servant job" will yield the most graft? YU know.

soapy_725
soapy_725 02/23/14 - 08:24 am
Maybe YU should run for CC Tax Collector.

Maybe YU should run for CC Tax Collector.

soapy_725
soapy_725 02/23/14 - 08:25 am
YU wants to write laws while he litters public property. No way.

YU wants to write laws while he litters public property. No way.

soapy_725
soapy_725 02/23/14 - 08:26 am
No way any right of way litter bug gets a vote to write laws

No way any right of way litter bug gets a vote to write laws

soapy_725
soapy_725 02/23/14 - 08:46 am
Decision making issues? Roadside littering issues. What next?

Decision making issues? Roadside littering issues. What next?

Gage Creed
Gage Creed 02/23/14 - 10:45 am
Yu GO!

Yu GO!

rebellious
20569
rebellious 02/23/14 - 10:52 am
YU

can't be serious!

nocnoc
nocnoc 02/23/14 - 01:24 pm
Justed wasted a lot of Campaign Donations on Senate Signs

and likely any chance to get elected.

If he is seriously trying to win, then he needs to deeply weed out his planning campaign committee.

BUT MAYBE it could also be part of a backdoor political agreement that if
he drops the Senate run he'll get support for "other things".

Either way he likely ticked off a bunch of EARLY campaign foundation supporters.

Butterman
Butterman 02/23/14 - 02:31 pm
YU Takes the Lead

This makes much more sense to me. There is growing discomfort with RW Allen as the GOP candidate. Word is that some heavy hitters in the GOP called YU and urged him to switch to the 12th race and they promised their support. There is worry with the Kay Allen mess and RWs ties to some of the mismanaged splost projects in Augusta that if he is the nominee, Barrow may return to congress. Yu can raise a lot of money. I would say he is the odds on favorite now for winning the GOP nomination for the 12th dist. race

mll
mll 02/23/14 - 05:49 pm
The run for the 12th district

has been a tough one. This time might be the one that boots Barrow out but in my opinion John Stone, a real Conservative should be the one to win. I wouldn't trust Allen with county dogcatcher at this point & while Mr. Yu is a good man from what I have heard he is not enough of a known factor to beat Barrow. I'll put my money on Stone & already have done that.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 02/24/14 - 12:26 am
Campaign Signs

I was struck today when I saw a "Yu for Senate" sign planted right next to an "Allen for House" sign. Then I remembered that there are several double posted signages for those two. Now that Yu will be running against Allen, will those property owners have "Yu for House" signs and "Allen for House" signs in the same location? Kind of strange if so.

studmuffin1533
studmuffin1533 02/24/14 - 07:47 am
Yu are kidding, right?

John Barrow deserves another term if for no other reason than his tireless work on veterans' issues and his Co-Sponsorship of HR-1507.

soapy_725
soapy_725 02/24/14 - 10:51 am
YU get those signs of public right of ways. NOW. YU.

YU get those signs of public right of ways. NOW. YU.

Authorities to target impaired drivers during holiday

Authorities in Georgia and South Carolina are teaming up this weekend to target impaired drivers and protect the 1.2 million motorists in the two states who plan to travel in what AAA projects ...