Sen. Hardie Davis will enter 2014 Augusta mayoral election

Tuesday, Aug 20, 2013 5:05 PM
Last updated 7:26 PM

State Sen. Hardie Davis is entering the 2014 race for mayor of Augusta, he announced Tuesday.

In 2007, Davis was elected to the Georgia House of Representatives. He filled a vacant seat in the Senate in a 2010 special election.

“It has been an honor to represent Richmond County as a state lawmaker, but as a longtime resident of Augusta, my heart is calling me to serve at home,” Davis said in a prepared statement. “I look forward to visiting and working with Augusta citizens during my campaign to create a brighter future for Augusta.”

Mayor Deke Copenhaver, who has held the office since 2005, is term-limited.

willie7
willie7 08/20/13 - 05:20 pm
Happy to see a good man

Happy to see a good man running for mayor.
We got to work hard to get him elected.

Pops
Pops 08/20/13 - 06:15 pm
All right.....going

from one do nothing job.....to another do nothing job that pays really well.....until the uninformed populace elect this guy and he lobbies for a 25% pay raise......

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 08/20/13 - 06:32 pm
When

y'all elect another black mayor, Columbia county's and Aiken county's populations will skyrocket. Your crime rate will, also. Hide and watch.

Augustaisdying
Augustaisdying 08/20/13 - 07:04 pm
Has he done anything for Augusta?

I'm not bashing him, just asking a question, since I have a feeling he will be our next mayor.

corgimom
corgimom 08/20/13 - 07:37 pm
He wants a Southern Living

He wants a Southern Living award.

Georgialina
Georgialina 08/20/13 - 08:40 pm
Surprise-Surprise

This is a big shocker to no one. I heard this "rumor" over a year ago. I wonder what took so long for him to finally come out?

Dixieman
Dixieman 08/20/13 - 10:02 pm
Now it's my turn

Or so goes what passes for political insight and principles in Augusta, GA.
I love everything about this town except the politicians.

Riverman1
Riverman1 08/21/13 - 05:59 am
Why Not?

He looks better than the commissioners who want to be mayor. Why not? The transition is about over. Elvis has left the building.

corgimom
corgimom 08/21/13 - 06:08 am
Big Daddy Charles Walker is

Big Daddy Charles Walker is due to get out Sept 26, 2014, now THAT will be interesting.

Riverman1
Riverman1 08/21/13 - 06:27 am
Walker

Corgimom, I agree, but he won't have his civil rights for awhile. He'll get them back soon enough the way he operates and the power he wields. I wouldn't want to be his opponent in anything. He's had years to plot his return. I would have loved to have heard some of the prison bull sessions with him and Robin Williams.

jwilliams
jwilliams 08/21/13 - 07:16 am
From the Archives

From the Archives 6/6/05
‘McIntyre bill' now applies to Walker
AUGUSTA, Ga. - Found guilty on 127 federal criminal charges last week, Charles Walker will meet with a federal probation officer who will begin investigating the former senator, his finances and his companies for a report that will affect what kind of sentence he receives.
Depending on the length of his punishment, it could be decades before Walker is eligible to hold public office again in Georgia. His age, coupled with a 15-year-old piece of legislation that was considered an attempt to keep his political foe, Ed McIntyre, from regaining office, could make it difficult for him to re-enter state politics. How ironic.
The Democrat-backed measure was known as the "McIntyre bill." It's now a state law, preventing those convicted of crimes involving "moral turpitude" from holding office in Georgia unless they've had their civil rights restored and have been out of jail for at least 10 years without another criminal conviction.
His power will not be displayed by “HIM” running for office, but in turn by who “HE” has elected to office. Those of you out there that follow the process know that the face you see doing the talking is not always the one in control.

Truth Matters
Truth Matters 08/21/13 - 07:48 am
I hope Walker is taking

I hope Walker is taking lessons from Gov. McDonnell of Va. He and his wife accepted expensive gifts from a major financial contributor and just don't care what anyone thinks. But you won't see any conservatives holding him up as a political corruption poster boy.

Riverman1
Riverman1 08/21/13 - 08:03 am
Truth Matters, I'm curious

Truth Matters, I'm curious. Do you support Walker's return to politics in some form?

triscuit
triscuit 08/21/13 - 09:58 am
Say what you want about

Say what you want about Walker, and I know he was shady, but when he was "in", MCG never ran out of money or laid people off...and I am doubting Azziz would have ever happened...

Truth Matters
Truth Matters 08/21/13 - 12:44 pm
@ Triscuit

I have heard those same sentiments re: MCG when Walker was under the gold dome.

Neither do I think trying to out source MCG to Athens piece by piece would have been done.

@Riverman1: I am in favor of what the law allows. If the law allows a person to run again after having rights restored, then so be it.

For the record, I was not a supporter before the conviction.

At this time, he is not my worry. I am more concerned about the damage being done by those already holding elected office.

redfish
redfish 08/21/13 - 01:41 pm
Doesn't matter...

It doesn't really matter who the mayor is. The mayor has no power, no authority to spend any money and the commission will make sure he never gets to cast a vote.