Rick Allen seeking 12th District seat again

Tuesday, June 4, 2013 9:40 AM
Last updated 8:51 PM

ATLANTA — The Augusta businessman who lost a runoff for the Republican nomination last year to challenge Democratic U.S. Rep. John Barrow announced Tuesday that he is making another attempt.

Rick Allen defeated two other candidates to make the primary runoff but lost to state Rep. Lee Anderson, whom Barrow defeated in the general election.

Picking up on themes from his previous campaign, Allen said the federal government under Democratic control imposes regulations that hinder business owners from expanding employment.

“We need the federal government to stay out of our way and let people help people and businesses create jobs. Sadly, John Barrow believes in the centralized, bureaucratic model of big national government,” Allen said in a statement released by his campaign.

Barrow represents the 12th District, which Republicans in the state Legislature have repeatedly reshaped to tilt toward a GOP challenger. Some observers blame last year’s outcome on Anderson’s weak speech-making skills and a heated race for sheriff in Allen’s home county of Richmond that drew his supporters to the Democratic primary.

The National Republican Congressional Committee and conservative political action committees have already announced plans to target Barrow.

The other announced GOP challenger, John Stone, issued a statement shortly after Allen’s inviting him to debate next month on immigration. Stone, who lost to Barrow in 2008, proposed other topics for the following months.

“It is important that voters get a good taste of where we stand on the major issues, and there is no better way to accomplish that than with frequent broadcast debates in depth on the challenges facing our district and nation,” Stone said.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 06/04/13 - 09:45 am
Glad to see it

I think Allen would be a great representative. He will need to campaign out in the rural boonies more than he did last time.

Dixieman
Dixieman 06/04/13 - 11:22 am
Good. Does his campaign want my points?

Hope this time he does not have a bruising primary. No sheriff's race to complicate things (see Austin Rhodes' expertise on this) means GOP has a good chance of picking up this seat. Go Rick!

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 06/04/13 - 11:08 am
Nice picture..

This man needs to stay in the government construction contracting business and continue bilking the taxpayer that way.

He most certainly is not the right man for congress.

Nominate this man, PLEASE nominate this man. Barrows chances keep looking better and better.

Brad

moderate321
moderate321 06/04/13 - 11:37 am
Negative Campaign

If he goes negative, he will lose. I hope that he has fired the campaign team that he hired last time. They were a bunch of political hacks.

Riverman1
Riverman1 06/04/13 - 11:45 am
There's a reason Barrow is

There's a reason Barrow is the only white Democrat left in the Deep South. Romney carried the district in November. We've a real shot at getting rid of the vagabond Barrow. Let's see he has lived in Athens, Savannah and now Augusta. Maybe he should try Ludowici next. Maybe Nancy Pelosi will come campaign for him. Maybe Cynthia McKinney will, too.

cheeringonthedawgs
cheeringonthedawgs 06/04/13 - 12:45 pm
Might look into Stone

Brad I agree with you. I am sorry but the Allen name comes up WAY too often in Columbia County. If he gets elected will he give up his seat in the family business or bid on everything built in the state as well in the county. Not that I like Barrow any better but It is just getting too politically narrow in this county.

galaxygrl
galaxygrl 06/04/13 - 05:38 pm
John Barrow

Barrow has represented our area well even as a Blue Dog Democrat. I wouldn't vote for Allen just to get a Republican in office. Barrow can count on my vote this time. I have vote mostly Republican (95%) since I was young but the Republicans just don't get it any more. I am voting for the person now.

floridasun
floridasun 06/04/13 - 07:54 pm
I like John Barrow

I think John Barrow is doing a good job

JRC2024
JRC2024 06/05/13 - 08:18 am
Cheering, RW Allen, Inc. is

Cheering, RW Allen, Inc. is not a family business. He started with another construction company and then opened up his own. The rest of his family is not connected to his business. His family is from Columbia County and his sister in law is Kay Allen who works for Columbia County and his brother is Charles Allen who I believe is or was a Commissioner. Ricks business is one that has been successful because he hires good people and does a good job. Brad, I do not think the majority of his business is with the government. I have worked with RW Allen on lots of jobs and no government one yet. I think he will make a good conservative representative.

D D DOG
D D DOG 12/31/13 - 03:30 am
VOTE BARROW,,This family has

VOTE BARROW,,This family has had a silver spoon in their mouths their whole life. People of C.C. this mans sister in law K.Allen (C.C. Tax Commisioner) was found to be stealing tax revenues($160,000,that we know of) months ago and nothing has been done yet. Has R.W. made a deal with Deal????? I thought our laws were for all people. Do not vote for anyone named Allen. Don't take my word for it,go to the tax/tag office and there sits Queen Kay hard at work making peoples lives miserable. Govenor Deal is supposed to make a decision this week wheather to remove her from her position as Tax Commisioner. I'll bet you a nichol nothing happens to her. Let your voice be heard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Solar 'farm' for Fort Gordon?

ATLANTA -- Georgia military installations at Fort Stewart, Fort Gordon, Fort Benning and Kings Bay will one day be housing solar farms that can make them independent of the power grid in ...