Charles Darwin gets 4,000 write-in votes in Paul Broun race

Thursday, Nov. 8, 2012 12:43 PM
Last updated 9:53 PM

ATHENS, Ga. — Charles Darwin, the 19th century naturalist who laid the foundations for evolutionary theory, received more than 4,000 write-in votes in Athens-Clarke County in balloting for the 10th Congressional District seat retained Tuesday by five-year incumbent Republican Paul Broun.

A campaign asking voters to write in Darwin’s name in the 10th District, which includes half of Athens-Clarke County and takes in a swath of eastern Georgia, began after Broun, speaking at a sportsmen’s banquet at a Hartwell church, called evolution and other areas of science “lies straight from the pit of hell.”

“I can’t ever remember seeing a (write-in ballot) report that long,” Athens-Clarke County Elections Supervisor Gail Schrader said after releasing the write-in numbers to news media Thursday morning.

In addition to the write-in votes cast for Darwin in the district race, a handful of votes for the long-dead British scientist were cast in other races, and a host of other names were included as write-in votes in races, including the congressional contest.

A considerable number of votes were cast in Athens-Clarke County for the legitimate write-in candidate in the race, Brian Russell Brown, of Augusta, who has waged write-in campaigns for other major political offices in previous elections.

Broun received 16,980 votes in Athens-Clarke County and 209,917 votes across the district.

The write-in totals for Darwin in the other 24 counties making up the 10th Congressional District will be widely available early next week when the Georgia secretary of state’s office certifies election results. The vote totals for the legitimate write-in candidate in the race also will be available early next week.

COLUMBIA COUNTY WRITE-INS

In Columbia County, which includes part of Broun’s district, Darwin got eight write-in votes against Broun.

Lee Anderson, who was running in the neighboring 12th District, received five write-in votes, and John (or “Ron”) Barrow got three.

All got more than the qualified write-in candidate, Brian Russell Brown, of Augusta, who received just one write-in – putting him in a tie with Copernicus, Iron Man and Anikin Skywalker, among many others.

Columbia County News-Times

TParty
TParty 11/09/12 - 01:57 pm
"Are humans still evolving?"

"Are humans still evolving?"

loblolly
loblolly 11/09/12 - 02:05 pm
Are Republicans

still evolving? No.

HenryWalker3rd
HenryWalker3rd 11/09/12 - 02:25 pm
Really? What's the evidence?

Really? What's the evidence?

Bizkit
Bizkit 11/09/12 - 02:31 pm
Scientifically in many ways

Scientifically in many ways you can say "God" has created man-metaphorically speaking. The concept of a "God" is so popular and in so many cultures it undoubtable has contributed to the evolution of man and is obvious in history, art, science, culture, you know the Power of Myth. Like sex evolved and then became a mechanism within evolution to generate variety. Whether "God" is real is upto debate in any given religion or belief-but the effect of this belief is overwhelmingly obvious. If I were eaten up with cancer and prayed Lord heal me-and then I became miraculously healed-you can debate whether it was just a placebo effect and theory of the mind or divine intervention. Would it really matter if I was cured of cancer? Sheesh. Where is my Joker hat. I like the way it jingles. hee,hee,ee.

TParty
TParty 11/09/12 - 02:31 pm
"What's the evidence?" We

"What's the evidence?"

We drink milk. We’re losing our wisdom teeth. Some people have blue eyes. Those are the easy ones.

HenryWalker3rd
HenryWalker3rd 11/09/12 - 02:35 pm
I promise. If you TRY to get

I promise. If you TRY to get to know God for who He is, you will understand that He and Satan are VERY REAL.

Spend time with Him and open your heart. The world is too complex of a place to have "evolved" on it's own, IMO.

Bizkit
Bizkit 11/09/12 - 02:39 pm
Anyways if my belief in

Anyways if my belief in evolution is a sin, then I will be forgiven as the long list of other sins I keep failing at. Jingle, jingle, jingle. Who among us is without it. So cast no dispersions my way least that 2X4 in your eye will cause some damage.

TParty
TParty 11/09/12 - 02:47 pm
"The world is too complex of

"The world is too complex of a place to have "evolved" on it's own, IMO"

Well, you're not a scientist so do you think your opinion holds the same weight as entire institutions that conduct experiments, collect evidence, have their papers peer reviewed and stand against scrutiny?

And the world is complex, but we understand a lot. And to say "The parts we don't understand is because god did it, world is too complex" well, in the words of NDT "If that’s how you want to invoke your evidence for God, then God is an ever-receding pocket of scientific ignorance that’s getting smaller and smaller and smaller as time moves on"

Bizkit
Bizkit 11/09/12 - 02:54 pm
All my life I have always

All my life I have always believed we were just another animal-really no moral equivalence from killing a man or a mouse. We're both just animals competing in a world for natural resources-and hey the mice are winning. LOL. I like the idea that humans are special and all human life deserves a special dignity-I know it is scientifically baseless but dang I find solace that my life really does have meaning (reality check it is all meaningless in space-time). I use to enjoy being greedy, mean and self-centered. Man being nice and sharing and giving are the most wonderful experiences of my life-although they seem contrary to self-gratification and me, me, me. I like it ain't about me-gee I'm boring after a while. But I guess some of yall know that-just keep goin' on and on and on. My Pandora's box ran out of everything including Hope, but now I have it again-fool hardy as that may be in reality. I "believe" with every molecule in my body that God is real-I would have laughed myself unconscious twenty years ago saying as much. I guess I have "evolved" just like Obama. Hope and Change that's what it is all about eh.

Bizkit
Bizkit 11/09/12 - 02:56 pm
I would hope God is happy

I would hope God is happy with his creation in man trying to figure out his creation. Spent a good part of my life doin' as much.

PassingOnBy
PassingOnBy 11/09/12 - 08:05 pm
Evolving...

Yes, the species Homo Sapien IS indeed evolving. Our brain size has increased by half over the last two millennia, we are taller than our ancestors from even just two hundred years ago, we live longer (lifespan increased by 1/3 over the last century or so), we are no longer covered with hair, etc.

Evolution--despite what someone said about one species turning into another--is not tuning into something else, but the improvement over a long period of what we started out as. THAT is what Darwin found in his investigations. He never said that a frog would ever turn into a bunny...

PassingOnBy
PassingOnBy 11/09/12 - 08:08 pm
@ Bizkit

Sorry, but I think God (whatever s/he may be) really doesn't lose any sleep over what we are doing on a minor planet at the tip of a distant arm of the Milky Way. If that is how we got here, it is more likely we were dropped off and told to "work at it".

Bizkit
Bizkit 11/10/12 - 10:52 am
Well then you need to read up

Well then you need to read up on a given description of "God" be it judaism, islam, christianity, hinduism, etc. Because they all adhere to an interest-I don't make the rules just sayin'.

Teacher group backs Carter for governor

ATLANTA - One of the largest teachers' groups in Georgia has announced its support for Democrat Jason Carter, as he challenges Republican Gov. Nathan Deal in the fall.