ABC stalwart Diane Sawyer's on-air performance brings attention, derision

Wednesday, Nov. 7, 2012 7:02 AM
Last updated 6:23 PM

Diane Sawyer of ABC  AP
AP
Diane Sawyer of ABC

NEW YORK — Diane Sawyer’s Election Night performance left some viewers asking if she had begun celebrating Tuesday’s election a bit early.

Co-anchoring ABC News’ coverage, the veteran journalist struck a different manner from her practiced, straight-news-delivering style.

Sawyer spoke more slowly than usual while seeming to prop herself on outstretched arms at the anchor desk she shared with George Stephanopoulos.

“OK,” she said at one point around 10 p.m. EST, “I wanna — can we have our music, because this is another big one here? Minnesota, we’re ready to project Minnesota, rrright now. ... Well, tonight we know that President Barack has won Minnesota,” she rambled on, stumbling over the president’s name.

Maybe Sawyer was just weary from the recent torrent of news.

In any case, the Twitterverse took quick notice and began cracking wise.

Her name was soon trending with unflattering posts, while a new Twitter handle, Drunk Diane Sawyer, collected hundreds of followers. An ABC spokesman did not comment.

“A bit tipsy,” ‘’hammered” or “on pain killers, muscle relaxers, benzos or some combination” were among the jeering explanations. Another likened it to an episode of HBO’s drama “The Newsroom,” where Will McAvoy, the fictitious anchorman, had eaten a couple of pot brownies before unexpectedly being summoned to his anchor desk to report a news story.

Some tweeters joked that a more fun-loving Sawyer was a ploy by ABC to boost viewership. Several Twitter followers said they were drawn to the network by word that Sawyer was behaving, by one description, “a bit wacky.”

“Bad night for Romney,” one tweeter summed up. “Worse night for Diane Sawyer?”

LillyfromtheMills
LillyfromtheMills 11/07/12 - 07:28 am
I noticed immediately

Something was wrong w/her!

soapy_725
soapy_725 11/07/12 - 08:48 am
The better show was on cable.

Wag the Dog. One of the great movies of our time. A parody of 1984. It is about the show. The production. It is about the drama. It is about screwing the masses.

Power, money and political influence.

Socialist media professors undoubtedly decades ago seized on the truth that they, the media, could change the course of the world. Not by reporting the actual events or news. But by creating the events and news. They took a point from one of their most criticized books, the Bible. The word is more powerful than any two edged sword. And they proceeded to butcher the truth.

soapy_725
soapy_725 11/07/12 - 08:50 am
Dianne knew the outcome before 11/6/2012

She helped script it. She was celebrating. It is not who votes, but who counts the votes.

ralphinga
ralphinga 11/07/12 - 08:52 am
About Time

Old lady Diane needs to call the others, Barbara Walters, Martha Raddatz and Katie Couric so the four of them can discuss retirement plans.

OpenCurtain
OpenCurtain 11/07/12 - 09:54 am
She was not up to

her usual self last night.

As has been the norm in this stereotypically male dominant position. She will most likely be replaced pretty soon despite her many successes over a long career.

I say this having more than one occasion found I myself disagreeing with her or her views and interpretation of what occurred.

KSL
KSL 11/07/12 - 09:53 am
Not a minute too soon.

Not a minute too soon.

soapy_725
soapy_725 11/07/12 - 11:15 am
Can we play the game under protest?

Busing people all over God's creation (which He chose to destroy) to cast Provisional Ballots in a pup tent sounds like the infield fly rule. How it hanging this time FL? Third World Voting with umbrellas. It would be hilarious if not a matter of life and death. Wag that Dog. Wag that Dog.

Big Brother is watching.

rebellious
22034
rebellious 11/07/12 - 11:23 am
The bigger question

is who was watching ABC last night? Not me!

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 11/07/12 - 12:23 pm
reb

I know I wasn't!

Insider Information
Insider Information 11/07/12 - 12:40 pm
Maybe she was distracted by

Maybe she was distracted by the tingle that Obama sent up her leg.

Or was that Chris Matthews?

They are all the same.

Tullie
Tullie 11/07/12 - 01:09 pm
ABC

My husband was flipping amongst all the channels last night. We watched her for awhile. She was acting kinda strange. It was really weird.

happychimer
19590
happychimer 11/07/12 - 02:39 pm
I did not watch abc last

I did not watch abc last night. I watched cnn. I like Diane Sawyer. Has any really asked yourself if her behavior was because of a physical problem? Is she diabetic? A sugar drop affects the brain and can cause confusion and slurred speech. I know, because I am diabetic.

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 11/07/12 - 05:02 pm
Exactly right, happychimer.

Exactly right, happychimer. Given her history, it's pretty rash to immediately jump on the "she's drunk" bandwagon. She deserves the benefit of the doubt. I'd bet it was something health-related. After all, she'd already spent several hours in preparation and presentation, so she may have been dehydrated or sleep deprived. You also need to remember she is older than she used to be (duh!), so she doesn't have the same stamina.

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 11/07/12 - 06:23 pm
The "mickey

mouse" network has never hidden it's extreme left leanings.

scorehouse
scorehouse 11/07/12 - 06:55 pm
who cares?

old broad deserves a chance to celebrate. but, she just blew her chances of national membership.

ken8375309
ken8375309 11/07/12 - 08:57 pm
Unbelievable..

As I read the comments here, it saddens me.. So much hate, judgement and anger from simple minded people that have never experienced a demanding schedule where you are always in the limelight.. Diane Sawyer is a class act, and she deserves better than this.. I watched the entire broadcast live, and all I saw was a good woman dedicated to her job that was fatigued covering this election nonsense..

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/08/12 - 05:23 am
Brian Williams

I like Williams.....seldom watch Dianne for the news.....I like Wolf too..