Kansas may bump Obama from ballot

Friday, Sept. 14, 2012 2:45 PM
Last updated 7:14 PM

TOPEKA, Kan. -- Three of Kansas’ top elected Republicans on Thursday determined they lacked sufficient evidence of President Obama’s birth records to decide whether to remove the Democratic nominee from the November ballot in Kansas.

The State Objections Board comprised of Secretary of State Kris Kobach, Attorney General Derek Schmidt and Lt. Gov. Jeff Colyer postponed until Monday action on a complaint filed by a Manhattan, Kan., resident pending review of a copy of Obama’s birth certificate from Hawaii.

“I don’t think it’s a frivolous objection,” Kobach said. “I do think the factual record could be supplemented.”

Requests were to be sent to officials in Hawaii, Arizona and Mississippi in an attempt to secure copies of the president’s birth records. Obama released a copy of his birth certificate last year, but detractors persist in advancing “birther” arguments that the Democrat lacked standing.

Removal of Obama’s name in Kansas — a state certain to side with Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney — would be strange given the president’s mother, Stanley Ann Dunham, and maternal grandparents, Stanley and Madelyn Dunham, were Kansas natives.

“My Kansas roots run deep,” Obama said during a trip to Osawatomie in December.

Joe Montgomery, who filed the ballot challenge with the all-Republican panel, said the president’s father held British and Kenyan citizenship, making Obama ineligible to run for the nation’s highest office.

Montgomery pointed to a handful of U.S. Supreme Court cases to support his claim a presidential candidate must be a “natural born citizen” from two American citizens.

“As for Mr. Obama’s citizenship, there are many doubts,” he said. “Doing the right thing can be hard and unpopular.”

A legal representative of Obama submitted a letter arguing the complaint had no merit.

No representative of the Kansas Democratic Party attended the hearing in a Topeka auditorium.

Dakota Loomis, spokesman for the state Democratic Party, declined to answer directly whether the complaint was justified. Montgomery, who works at the College of Veterinary Medicine at Kansas State University, said Obama hadn’t provided valid documentary evidence to establish his birth in the United States.

In Montgomery’s written complaint, he declared “there is substantial evidence showing that much of Mr. Obama’s alleged birth certificates have been forged or doctored, and have not been confirmed as legally valid, true and accurate.”

Comments (50)

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 09/14/12 - 03:24 pm

HoRAAAA For Kansas

So glad to see 3 Americans with gonads seeking the truth.
They better be careful because Kansas has a lot of "Grassy Noll's"

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 09/14/12 - 03:36 pm

Worth being thorough

I think it is a good thing for Kansas officials to look carefully at the entire record before allowing a person not "natural-born" in America to be on the ballot for president.

Freeatlast
Freeatlast 09/14/12 - 03:48 pm

You have to be kidding me.

You have to be kidding me. Mitt Romney said, and I quote: " No one has ever asked to see my birth certificate. They know that this is the place that I was born and raised." This actually makes me feel sick when I think about it - what it means when the leader of the Republican Party, a presidential candidate, and other Republicans stoop this low. The scariest part? His comments was met with cheers. It certainly fired up the extreme " birther again" elements of the Republican base. This has to stop, and it has to stop now. There's only one way to do that - by making sure President Obama and Democrats across the board win on Election Day.

KSL
KSL 09/14/12 - 05:07 pm

Are you afraid it might be

Are you afraid it might be true?

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 09/14/12 - 05:14 pm

Freeatlast

"This has to stop, and it has to stop now.

I agree.

Produce a valid Birth Certificate and Slap every Republican in the face with it.......Waiting

Swatbad
Swatbad 09/14/12 - 05:28 pm

Republicans have slipped on a banana peel.....

Based on all the newest polls, one has to believe that the GOP as to find new levels of desperation to stoop below in order to rally their feeble base. Funny how we haven't heard anything from the so called christian coalition this election cycle..........so called Christians supporting a Mormon? hilarious!!! What a weak field of republicans!,lol!!!

Jake
Jake 09/14/12 - 05:43 pm

Desperate measure?

Not that Obama has a chance in Kansas anyway but he was on their ballot in 2008. If they have proof that his birth certificate is false then why don't they reveal the proof? I suppose they know more in Kansas than the FBI does in Washington DC. What a laugh.

sand gnat
sand gnat 09/14/12 - 05:44 pm

2016

This guy in the white house will not even release his college records. Millions have been spent to have them sealed. Who paid for his education? What else is he hiding? Just too many secrets from his past for any person that bleeds red, white and blue.

faithson
faithson 09/14/12 - 06:38 pm

cut off your nose to spite your face

this can do nothing more than bring an already disgraced extreme right wing to an even lower rung in the eyes of the electorate. good luck making hay out of this, it will only come to naught and leave egg on the faces of all those good american patriots who truly want what is best.

OJP
OJP 09/14/12 - 06:40 pm

The petitioner withdrew it - the Right should be relieved.

Nonsense to the nonsense-th power is what this is.

And CobaltGeorge, what are you talking about? He released the long form. Get. Over. It.

OJP
OJP 09/14/12 - 06:50 pm

@Little Lamb

I'm fairly certain that the weight of authority doesn't support your definition of the term (assuming yours is the position that states that it requires both parents).

Conservative Man
Conservative Man 09/14/12 - 06:54 pm

Not gonna matter...

....Romney will be the President and Obama will be sent back to Chicago where he belongs....

KSL
KSL 09/14/12 - 07:24 pm

Way too many experts claim

Way too many experts claim the long form released is fraudulent.

And don't forget, it was Hilly 's people who first brought this up.

If Obama was so willing to spend the big bucks to fight the release of his information, it has to be because he is hiding something.

KSL
KSL 09/14/12 - 07:30 pm

Obama could oh so easily put

Obama could oh so easily put the whole matter to rest. Why doesn't he? He promised transparency. Oh wait, that is not the only promise he has broken.

Jake
Jake 09/14/12 - 08:08 pm

FBI

I suppose the FBI has just sat on their hands regarding Obama's eligibility to be President. OK, experts, why would they do that? What's in it for them? Anyone?

Jake
Jake 09/14/12 - 08:34 pm

Campaign 2012

Let's see if I can sum up the Republican campaign for 2012.
(1) You have a candidate that used to be a Democrat.
(2) He is the former governor of the conservative state of Massachusetts.
(3) While governor he instituted health care reform for his state which is not far off from Obama's. In fact, he supports parts of Obamacare.
(4) His religious affiliation is founded on the belief that a man named Joseph Smith received Golden Tablets from heaven with instructions from God (and you thought Jeremiah Wright was wacky?).
(5) His main appeal is that he is not Obama.
That pretty well sums it up for me. Why, oh, why didn't the Republicans give Ron Paul more support. At least he knows where he stands and believes in his message. Romney just wants to be President and could care less how he gets there.

OJP
OJP 09/14/12 - 08:49 pm

@KSL

No, he can never put this to rest because folks like you will never believe it. The moon landing happened. And Obama is eligible to be President. Again... Get. Over. It.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 09/14/12 - 08:50 pm

What is in it for the FBI?

Excuse me, Jake, but the FBI works for the President. They take their orders from the President. Their very careers are in it for them.

OJP
OJP 09/14/12 - 08:51 pm

@KSL

And please source these "experts". Note: A random blogger in his mom's basement isn't an expert.

KSL
KSL 09/14/12 - 08:58 pm

Just who would have ordered

Just who would have ordered the FBI to vet Obama? Perhaps it should have been the CIA.

No one on Obama 's side ever answers why he spent so much to fight divulging his past. He should just answer.

And if Romney actually legally owed no taxes on his income, I say good for him. Why condemn someone for taking advantage of exemptions and deductions and write offs? All those rich libs who want rich people to pay more taxes could lead by example and pay more simply by not taking all the advantages.

Take George Soros for example. If he feels he should pay as much percentage as his secretary, he is free to do that and advertise the fact.

KSL
KSL 09/14/12 - 09:03 pm

Have we forgotten the tax

Have we forgotten the tax problems the Clintons had? The melt down of savings and loans companies, while I am discussing forgetfulness?

KSL
KSL 09/14/12 - 09:22 pm

OJP

I will simply point you to Hillary and her cronies. Over the years I have read articles written by various people on the subject. If you think I would waste a minute of my time to do your research, you have another think coming. You prove me wrong that there are not experts out there.

I will throw you a bone. My husband is not as empassioned about Obama's credentials as I am. He thinks there are people on both sides trying not to throw our country into a Constitutional crisis and that is why the issue has been let lie. Pun intended.

But just today my husband told me that when he looked at that long form birth certificate, with his knowledge of layering, he could see it was manipulated.

Jake
Jake 09/14/12 - 09:15 pm

Excuse me LL

BEFORE he was President they were not working for him. Why was something not brought up then? Anyone?

Jake
Jake 09/14/12 - 09:22 pm

Aha!

Now we have the expert opinion of layering from a lay person. That pretty much should seal his doom. I suppose if he does get re-elected and the truth comes out later then we get to have Joe Biden as our Commander in Chief. Warms the cockles of your heart doesn't it?
If this "layering" is indeed true then it would be someone's patriotic duty to inform the proper authorities, I would hope.

KSL
KSL 09/14/12 - 09:25 pm

Jake, I would not exactly

Jake, I would not exactly call him a lay person in that area. Don't know exactly how you are versed in his expertise.

KSL
KSL 09/14/12 - 09:46 pm

I would think it would have

I would think it would have been the patriotic duty of a Marine to report, under the existing circumstances in the Middle East, that they were guarding without live ammunition.

Funny thing. A lot of people can't afford to get fired. Or worse.

I certainly can not blame marines who were following orders, exposing themselves to danger with no way of protecting themselves, and not leaking to the public orders that come down from our current administration.

KSL
KSL 09/14/12 - 09:39 pm

Oh, and it was brought up

Oh, and it was brought up before Obama was elected pres. I think we have laws against having the FBI poking around in the business of supposed citizens who have not been accused of a crime.

By the way. If Obama was a great pres and had solved the problems we have, I wonder if this would even be an issue. We would all probably be thanking him and brushing this under the rug, like most of the media.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 09/14/12 - 09:54 pm

Before Obama Became President

Jake asked:

There were tons of questions asked before the election of 2008. That's why they call it the "birther movement." Obama and the media (aka the DNC public relations department) stonewalled and marginilized the birthers. The FBI didn't know what hit them.

For a foreign-born person to run for president in 2008 was unprecedented. No one knew how to respond.

KSL
KSL 09/14/12 - 10:05 pm

Never mind the US

Never mind the US Constitution. After all, it has been never minded for years.

Jake
Jake 09/14/12 - 10:07 pm

Assumptions

LL, you are assuming that Obama was foreign born when the official record supports the opposite. Again, if the FBI had information that he was not an American citizen then why would they have concealed it?
As you know the previous administration was Republican so it would have been a great bombshell and promotions would abound if they had been able to show that he was not a citizen or natural born.
I really don't believe the FBI "didn't know what hit them" scenario. I can only assume (and correct me if I am wrong) that you also believe he is not a natural born citizen.