Scott Peebles endorses Richard Roundtree for Richmond County sheriff

Friday, Aug 31, 2012 9:32 AM
Last updated 4:54 PM

Former Richmond County sheriff’s candidate Capt. Scott Peebles has declared his support for the man who defeated him in the Democratic primary runoff.

Back | Next
Scott Peebles declared his support for Richard Roundtree on Friday. Roundtree defeated Peebles by 447 votes in the Democratic primary runoff for Richmond County sheriff.  ZACH BOYDEN-HOLMES/FILE
ZACH BOYDEN-HOLMES/FILE

In a statement issued Friday morning, Peebles said he would be casting his vote for school public safety Lt. Richard Roundtree because the two have similar ideas and philosophies about what the next sheriff needs to do.

“By comparing our campaign platforms, it’s easy to see why I’ve chosen to support Richard Roundtree,” Peebles’ statement said. “Our fundamental ideas regarding the direction of law enforcement are nearly identical. From Community Oriented Policing to a Citizens Advisory Board, Richard and I have a very similar vision, and I look forward to seeing that vision realized.”

Peebles said that since the Aug. 21 runoff, in which Roundtree defeated him by 447 votes, he has been “inundated with calls from supporters who have asked who I’m now supporting in the race for Richmond County Sheriff.”

Peebles said he encouraged other voters to do their own research and decide for themselves whom they should support.

“This is all I will have to say publicly about the race for Sheriff,” the statement said. “No further statements or interviews will be conducted and no further comment will be made.”

Roundtree issued his own statement thanking his former opponent.

“Although the campaign was tough, Scott and I have always worked well together,” the statement said. “As your Sheriff, he and I will continue our efforts to keep our city safe and engage in proactive law enforcement strategies.”

Roundtree said the endorsement was a “step towards healing this community” and urged his supporters to offer their thanks to Peebles and to work toward building a safer community.

When reached by phone, Sheriff Ronnie Strength said he had “nothing to say” about Peebles’ endorsement. Republican candidate Freddie Sanders, who has been endorsed by Strength, said he didn’t expect Peebles’ endorsement to have any effect on the election.

“I just find it strange that they fought with (Roundtree) tooth and nail and tried to get all the Republicans to cross over and vote, and now he has endorsed him,” he said.

Sanders said he had reached out to Peebles after the runoff to encourage him to stay with the sheriff’s office, but he did not make any promises nor did he ask for an endorsement from Peebles.

He said it’s just another example of the adage “politics makes strange bedfellows,” and he holds no ill will toward anyone.

“If Richard wins, good for them, and if he doesn’t then Scott’s fine with me,” he said.

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/31/12 - 09:17 pm
Rebel

A powerful post..thank you for your honesty...

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 09/01/12 - 12:21 am
This just makes me wish...

This just makes me wish that I lived in Richmond County, so I could trade my vote for a ride in the Big White Limo; though I would need to have my window down, please.

Riverman1
Riverman1 09/01/12 - 06:44 am
Rebel

I know what Rebel says is true. He told me after his guy, Silas, was defeated why he was actively supporting Peebles. He said he met with Peebles and was assurred it was the right thing to do. Now, to his complete surprise, Peebles supports Tree. By the way, I told Rebel that I was not going to trust Peebles and turn around and endorse him when we discussed the matter.

Goodness, we had editorials ad nausea saying Augusta would go up in a mushroom cloud if Tree were elected. We had editorials saying Peebles was so honorable and was the man to stop Tree, the Genghis Khan, of Augusta. Tree was attacked personally in silly editorials and columns.

Chronicle, the next time I suggest you thoroughly vet candidates you support. KSM and I tried to tell you in every way possible about the connections, the propensity to do the self-serving things. Just drink the printers ink before you go so far out on a limb the next time with such poorly thought out garbage.

To Tree, you better watch yourself carefully with Peebles and his gang. They are out to do you no good and as Rebel will attest, you can't trust them. This lackluster endorsement is an example of how they will play. They would like nothing better than to get you in big trouble and gain their dreams of running the county.

Riverman1
Riverman1 09/01/12 - 06:45 am
Question for the Chronicle

So WHO are you going to support now? Roundtree, the one YOUR man Peebles endorsed? Or Sanders, the one Sheriff Strength endorses? You had so much interest in this election and now we see nothing? I can understand the stages of grief you must be in, but acceptance will come soon enough, Kubler Ross says. What are you going to do?

constituent
constituent 09/01/12 - 12:24 pm
Pebbles and Roundtree have

Pebbles and Roundtree have worked well together. I think it's a postive step for Richmond County Sheriff's office and the safety of our community. If elected,I know Roundtree will offer Pebbles a job.

allhans
allhans 09/01/12 - 06:45 pm
Many will turn out to vote

Many will turn out to vote for Sanders,. the alternative choice that is left to us.
I still would have liked a Sanders-Peebles ballot in Nov. That would have created some excitment..

Some of us are now checking available real estate in Columbia County..mainly in the West Lake area of the county.......:-(