Voting 'smooth' in today's runoff

Tuesday, Aug 21, 2012 10:19 AM
Last updated 7:02 PM

Runoff voting is smooth so far in Richmond and Columbia counties.

George Marshall, of Appling, votes in the run-off election Tuesday, Aug. 21, 2012, at Kiokee Baptist Church in Appling.
  Valerie Rowell/ Staff
Valerie Rowell/ Staff

Board of Elections Director Lynn Bailey said voting has been steady but not overwhelming in Richmond County.

There were no problems reported, she said. All precincts opened on time, and all equipment is working properly.

“The biggest impact the weather would have had would have been on voter turnout, but that doesn’t seem to have been a problem this morning, either,” she said.

She is predicting a 20 to 30 percent voter turnout by the end of the day.

In Columbia County, turnout generally has been light with some confusion over exactly who can vote, and where.

Voters who live in the appropriate districts can choose between Congressional District 12 Republican candidates Rick Allen and Lee Anderson, and School Board District 1 candidates Carolyn Chase and David Dekle.

Because of the county’s split during reapportionment between the 10th and 12th congressional districts, some voters might be uncertain about their district. Prior to this year, all of Columbia County was part of the 10th District; with redistricting, most of the county’s 46 voting precincts are now in the 12th District.

“We do have six precincts that are not open today due to their voters residing in the 10th Congressional District,” said Columbia County Board of Elections Registration Coordinator Nancy Gay.

Those precincts are Grace Baptist Church, Bessie Thomas Community Center, Eubank Blanchard Community Center, George W. Jones Community Center, Damascus Baptist Church and Greenbrier High School, Gay said.

“They are and will continue to be voting precincts in future elections,” she said.

In addition, three of the county’s precincts – Kiokee Baptist Church, Harlem Middle School and Harlem Baptist Church – are split between the 10th and 12th Districts. The precincts are open, but 10th District voters won’t have a ballot available.

Gay said she’s “hopeful” of getting 20 to 25 percent turnout.

soapy_725
soapy_725 08/21/12 - 11:09 am
He has a camera

in his left hand. But his intentions were pure.

townsends
townsends 08/21/12 - 12:08 pm
Not allowed to Vote!

I was turned away from my right to vote and having my voice heard. I understand the rules however, they go against my constitutional right. I voted in the July election here in Georgia for a particular person. Based on that vote I am precluded from being able to vote for a different person in a different race in a runoff. Here is my problem with that. In the July election I voted for a specific person, that person was on the Democratic ballot, (which by the way precluded me from voting for a person on the Republican ballot). Now I have the opportunity to vote for someone entirely different running in a separate race and who I think will be a better person for the job. And I am not allowed.
I should be able to vote for a person, any person. Not vote for a party of people which I am being forced to do simply because that person is a member of that party. Un-American!

OpenCurtain
OpenCurtain 11/07/12 - 05:35 am
Hephzibah voting location - turned away a number of voters

A Hephzibah voting location poll worker incorrectly turned away a number of legitimate voters.

Kelly Jasper
Kelly Jasper 08/21/12 - 03:57 pm
OpenCurtain, thanks for the

OpenCurtain, thanks for the tip. A reporter will check it out.

augusta citizen
augusta citizen 08/21/12 - 04:29 pm
Glad a reporter will check it

Glad a reporter will check it out, if this is true it should be on all of the local media as soon as possible, so those voters who were turned away will have an opportunity to go cast their vote.

toppergem
toppergem 08/22/12 - 03:12 pm
Voters not being able to vote...

This happens in all elections. Someone missed the opportunity to vote because the polling place has changed, they chose to declare a certain party in one race and then wanted to switch to another party...nothing new.