Big races could be headed for runoffs in August

The winners in big races in Tuesday’s primary elections could come down to runoffs in August.

Oversized political signs line the street at Washington and Boy Scout roads in Augusta.  JACKIE RICCIARDI/STAFF
JACKIE RICCIARDI/STAFF

Two primary races – the Demo­cratic contest for Richmond County sheriff and the Republican contest for 12th Congressional District –
have four candidates running each.

In the U.S. House race, Republicans Rick W. Allen, Lee Anderson, Wright McLeod and Maria Sheffield are running for the opportunity to face Democratic U.S. Rep. John Barrow in November.

In the Democratic primary, voters will see four sheriff’s candidates on their ballots: school Public Safety Lt. Richard Roundtree and three current sheriff’s employees, Lt. John Ivey, Capt. Scott Peebles and Lt. Robbie Silas.

The Republican sheriff’s race between Mike Godowns, a former sheriff’s deputy and insurance agent who works as a security officer at Plant Vogtle, and lawyer Freddie Sanders is expected to result in an outright winner, but many observers don’t expect as much from the Democratic race.

With four candidates in the mix, it will be difficult for anyone to gather the majority of the votes required. A similar outcome is expected in the Republican U.S. House race.

If no one candidate gets a clear majority in those contests, the top two vote getters will meet again for a runoff election Aug. 21, according to Board of Elections Director Lynn Bailey.

Bailey said those who vote in either party’s primary will be limited to voting in the same party’s runoff.

Voters also will get to decide on funding for transportation projects in their region. If it is passed, Richmond County is projected to collect $277.5 million over 10 years from the 1-cent sales tax.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 07/28/12 - 11:36 pm
Run-off?

Yah think?

Duh.

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/28/12 - 11:45 pm
I'd ban anyone who votes in a

I'd ban anyone who votes in a Democratic Primary from the Republican Party for life. Run them out of town all the way to Waynesboro. You are ensuring John Barrow's reelection with Lee Anderson running against him. If we lose the House by one seat and Barrow is reelected, how are you going to feel?

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/29/12 - 06:45 am
YA think..

Well let the games begin!!

Freddie Sanders ---please get in touch with Riverman on here----there is something important he needs...thankya

nanowerx
nanowerx 07/29/12 - 10:04 am
Riverman, what makes you so

Riverman, what makes you so sure Anderson is the guy to get it? No offense, he seems like a great guy, but he is completely politically ignorant. Sorry, but I can't justify voting for someone that doesn't even know what the Federal Reserve is!

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/29/12 - 10:24 am
Nano

Nano, I'm certainly not in favor of Lee Anderson becoming the nominee. I'm kind of like you, he's a nice guy, but not Congressional material.

The thing is he is well connected in Columbia County and since he's the only candidate from there, he will carry it. All the politicians there back him. With Richmond County Republicans crossing over in some cases to vote for Peebles, that takes votes from McLeod, Allen and Sheffield. That's my point.

Volsman1
Volsman1 07/29/12 - 12:17 pm
Anderson and Columbia Co.

Riverman, I don't think you have given the people of Columbia Co. credit. I happen to believe that we here in Columbia Co. aresmart enough to know a FOX when we see one, and that is a fox if ever I've seen one in my opinion, and his voting record proves it, not his looks or way of speaking. I don't take lightly how I cast my ballot. I do look into the facts. He may be the only one with a record on record as far as being a political operative, but he has been tripped up too many times in the debates and had to revert to his standard pat lines that he has memorized in order to keep from really getting into trouble that I'm starting to think he's a beautiful woman and that he's "foxie" (Ugh). I have only met him once but am sure he is a great person. But I do not feel I can trust him.
Columbia Co. is made up of a much higher percentage of people from out of the area than it used to be, and for that reason I do not believe that Anderson has the advantage you are giving him credit for even with the good ol' boy support network working as hard as possible to see to it that he gets the vote there. Riverman, I think you might be suprized on this one. I certainly hope so anyway! Obviously I'm not for Mr. Anderson, And definately not for Allen. Maria's time hasn't come yet, so it'll be hard to guess who I'm for, but my reasoning can be explained if you would like. Just ask. Volsman1

Volsman1
Volsman1 07/29/12 - 12:52 pm
Correction.....

I meant to address Nano too
Riverman Nano we may not agree on who I want, but I think we are 3 in agreement against Lee...ment anyway! LOL I just hope that all of them are able to keep the main thing the main thing... GET RID OF BARROW!!!! and the OBAMA...national destruction plans of mess and mass destruction. Then restore some sort of law and order back to Washington D.C. I really am not for a flat tax but I want a national sales tax in order to force all PEOPLE SPENDING inside of these borders to pay taxes without having a choice in the matter. Then we could do away with the IRS; the largest budget in the US Gov't. if I understand things correctly. I may be wrong though. That would encourage savings and restore or help get money back into the banking system so loans could be available to grow the economy, even though the money is there but not accessible to small business'. I don't know of any candidate pushing that agenda but if I can find one I'll Die to help them get the job. But I'll float that ballon again and see if it will sail. Who knows!

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 07/29/12 - 09:55 pm
Evans?

One thing that bugs me is the AMS (Augusta Main Stream) media's continuing description of Wright McLeod as Evans attorney. Wright McLeod's residence is in Augusta, he is a registered voter in Augusta. He votes in the Democratic primaries in Augusta, his vehicles are registered in Augusta, he pays property taxes in Augusta. Sure, he has a law practice with one office in Augusta and another in Evans; but the sum total of all that cannot rationally be described as "Evans attorney." Something is smelly, here.

jg41160
jg41160 07/30/12 - 06:06 pm
Get Real

U Know - Don't you
Peebles/Roundtree runoff-turnout = Peebles Win
Anderson/Allen runoff-Repubs in ARC=Anderson win
That is all

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 07/31/12 - 10:11 pm
@ RM

"With Richmond County Republicans crossing over in some cases to vote for Peebles, that takes votes from McLeod, Allen and Sheffield. That's my point."

And a great point that has turned out to be!

Charges for sex offender

A man convicted of sex charges in Columbia County, who then went to prison for child molestation in south Georgia is back behind bars.