News |   Obits |   Sports |   Business |   Opinion |   Things to Do |   Life |   Blogs |   Photos |   Video |   Data |   Jobs |   Homes |   Autos |   Buy/Sell

Sheriff's candidate Richard Roundtree looking to increase prevention

Richard Roundtree said his plan to run for Richmond County sheriff began to take shape more than six years ago, when he was a sergeant investigating violent crimes with the department.

Sheriff candidate Lt. Richard Roundtree  ZACH BOYDEN-HOLMES/STAFF
ZACH BOYDEN-HOLMES/STAFF
Sheriff candidate Lt. Richard Roundtree

He was encountering more and more young men who had been charged with murder who all had one thing in common: none of them had managed to graduate high school. Most hadn’t made it past the ninth grade.

That’s when he saw the direct correlation between education and the rate of violent crime in Augusta.

“I saw that there were no programs to try to prevent the violence that was on the rise and kept going up,” Roundtree said.

Roundtree said he spoke to Sheriff Ronnie Strength about his intentions and learned the sheriff wasn’t planning to stay in office past 2012.

“At that point I already had my bachelor’s degree,” he said. “That’s what made me go back to school for my master’s. I said if the time comes and Sheriff Strength does steps down, that will I put myself in position to be a viable candidate for sheriff.”

Roundtree, a native of Augusta and a graduate of T.W. Josey High School, said he was able to avoid a lot of the pitfalls facing black youths when he got a football scholarship to South Carolina State University, where he began studying electromechanical engineering.

“My sophomore year, I woke up and had an epiphany that I had to be a crime fighter,” he said. “I went back to school, changed my major and two years later graduated with a Bachelor of Science degree in criminal justice.”

Roundtree joined the Augusta Police Department and became a sheriff’s deputy after consolidation in 1996. He worked his way from road patrol to property crimes investigations and then violent crimes. While working as a homicide investigator, he earned a Master of Education degree from Troy University and attended the FBI academy in 2009, but was demoted after an episode in which investigative files were discovered in a former residence of his.

Not long after, Roundtree was hired by the Richmond County Board of Education as a lieutenant in charge of operations for the schools public safety department.

Roundtree said everything that has happened to him in the past six years – good and bad – has helped him prepare to be the county’s chief law enforcement officer.

HELPING YOUTH

Roundtree said working with the school system has only increased his passion for seeking ways to keep young men and women out of the criminal justice system. He said his work as a homicide investigator helped him see just how desperate some of these young offenders were.

“When you talked with some of these kids, you just saw a lack of hope in their eyes. You could see the disparity of it, and there was nothing being done to change it,” he said. “My oldest son is now 15 and will be 16 this year. I saw him, and I saw there was nothing being done to protect that next generation. And I wanted to be on the forefront of helping that.”

Roundtree said the sheriff can do more than just lock up offenders. The sheriff can be a leader in seeking solutions that help keep the county’s youth out of jails and into productive pursuits.

“The main thing is getting the community involved,” he said. “I believe in partnerships. My whole campaign philosophy is based on partnerships."

FIRST FRIDAY

Roundtree said the incident downtown in which six people were wounded by gunfire on First Friday is an example of where the sheriff needs to exert more leadership.

“If you plan for these contingencies, you know what is going to happen,” he said. “You need to have a plan in place to let them know that ya’ll aren’t going to be downtown after 10 o’clock, because my officers are going to be here to prevent you from doing it. Criminals take the path of least resistance – if they already know that that behavior is not going to be tolerated, that the law is going to be strictly enforced, then they are not going to do it.”

Roundtree said he recalls that as he was leaving his campaign headquarters on Broad Street on July 6 at about 9:30 p.m., he could feel something was going to happen.

“I was talking to some people in my group and I said the demographic, the atmosphere is changing right now,” he said. “You could just see it standing there for 15 minutes in front of my headquarters. You could feel the whole atmosphere change.

You could actually feel that something is not right. Something is about to happen. You could see the tension. The groups were starting to gather and walking the streets.”

“I heard the sheriff say it is not budgeted for First Friday,” he said. “I think that is something that we need to address.”

PREVENTION AND REHABILITATION

Roundtree said that the current system places little emphasis on prevention of juvenile crime and the rehabilitation of young offenders. As sheriff, he would seek ways to find and fund more of these sorts of programs.

“I do not think there is enough being done at all,” he said. “I don’t think the resources that we have been throwing at the problem have been on the prevention side or the rehabilitation side.”

Roundtree said he would support and encourage legislators to create a program that would allow young offenders convicted of an initial felony to have their records expunged after serving their sentence. He said the current system offers no redemption for young offenders.

“South Carolina has one,” he said. “We need to take a look at it and see if it works because I believe in second chances.

FINDING FUNDING

Roundtree said that he would seek additional funding in the sheriff’s budget to pay for programs that would help reduce the county’s juvenile crime problem. He thinks it only makes sense that commissioners would find ways to fund such programs.

“Ideally, I think it would be in my budget,” he said. “I will ask. There is no doubt that I will ask for it.”

He said if people are willing to pay for additional deputies to help reduce crime, then they should be willing to pay for prevention programs. The goal, he said is the same.

“Aren’t you getting the same effect? I think we can come up with some model that will work and definitely put them on the table for the funding,” he said. “If the money is not there, that is where you have partnerships.”

MAKING CHANGES

Roundtree said he wants to make a lot of changes that will cost little or no money for the sheriff’s office. He wants a reserve deputy program, volunteer emergency response teams and technologies that will make the job of law enforcement more efficient and effective.

“Times have changed,” he said. “Ronnie Strength doesn’t have an e-mail address, he don’t have a computer in his office, but that is what he grew up in.”

One of the biggest things that need to be changed is the attitude of the force, Roundtree said. He wants to encourage an atmosphere where the deputies work with the public and all residents see the police as a force that is out to help them.

He said in some areas of the county, police aren’t welcome. He wants to change that.

“There’s no doubt, in some communities there is an adversarial relationship between the citizens and the sheriff’s office,” he said. “I worked homicide for years and the reason my success rate was so high was because of the people. It wasn’t me.

“People would talk. They wanted to talk.

“Now you hear the standard response from the sheriff’s office -- there’s a lot of people out there, but they don’t want to talk, because they don’t trust law enforcement.

A NEW PHILOSOPHY

Roundtree said that overall, it is time for a new way of looking at things. He said with sheriffs Charlie Webster and Strength in office, the county has had the same basic law enforcement philosophy for the past 28 years: “If they break the law, you lock them up.”

“They don’t see the effects that has had over 28 years. Because now we know that 90 percent of people incarcerated get out. And now they are walking your streets,” he said. “They don’t go to Chicago, they don’t go to L.A. or New York, they come right back to Augusta. Did that make your city better or make it worse?

“This is a different era, this is a different time, I’m a different generation of law enforcement. Things have changed now, the county has changed, this country has changed, so you have to have a different idea.”

Next Sunday

Richmond County Sheriff’s Lt. Robbie Silas is next Sunday’s scheduled Newsmaker Q&A in The Augusta Chronicle’s series of interviews with sheriff’s candidates.

travelp
travelp 07/14/12 - 07:31 pm
If the RCBE can't fix the

If the RCBE can't fix the education problem then I'm sure Roundtree will fix it (sarcasm). May be his platform but that's a joke. Education starts at home and he can't raise all the knuckleheads in the county.

Patty-P
Patty-P 07/14/12 - 07:43 pm
Good luck finding additional

Good luck finding additional funding for programs. I say get your funding from dead-beat dads. Go first to the parents and get them involved. The government can't fix all of the problems with kids. Lack of accountability with the parents leads to the same attitude in youth.

janderson1945
janderson1945 07/14/12 - 10:20 pm
Maybe he should run for school board

He works at the school board and they have major issues educating the students now. This platform is not what it needed in a Sheriff. The Sheriff's job is to stop crime and make sure criminals are arrested then the court system can decide what to do with them. Most criminals are beyond the age of reform anyway so this does not add up. Since everything the news has reported on him and his numerous suspensions and demotions have occurred within the last 6 years when he knew he was going to run for Sheriff, one could only imagine what he would do if he actually became Sheriff.

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/15/12 - 07:36 am
Sounds good---but

He said..

The best thing to happen in Richmond county would be to round up the deadbeat dads....MAKE them pay for every kiddy they produce...or work on a chain gang....we are tired of pretending we can clean up all the problems with education...

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/15/12 - 07:38 am
Ck other correlations

Check section 8 housing & crime correlation....YIKES!

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 07/15/12 - 08:54 am
I had the same thought as

I had the same thought as janderson1945. Roundtree knew he wanted to be considered as a viable candidate for sheriff, but lacked the good sense, moral character and restraint to not cheat on his wife and RC taxpayers and stir up jealousy and dissent among the employees? If he has any answers for helping the disadvantaged youth of R C, he should first bloom where he is planted at the Board of Education. That’s where he could really make a difference if he is being honest about his goals.

willie7
willie7 07/15/12 - 09:18 am
Vote for 'Tree", he's the sheriff to be---

Vote for "Tree", He's the sheriff to be.
I believe Roundtree will do a great job as sheriff. He has a lot of good ideas and will work hard to implement them. He will clean up the crime in Richmond County.

Karen Slater-McDaniel
Karen Slater-McDaniel 07/15/12 - 09:25 am
Willow ... Roundtree wasn't

Willow ... Roundtree wasn't married & neither were any of the mentioned women when this happened SEVENTEEN years ago. He was definitely wrong but he at least owns up to his "canoodling" as Austin refers to it.

Patty-P
Patty-P 07/15/12 - 03:29 pm
Agree with Willow's 8:54

Agree with Willow's 8:54 post. I also think his philosophy and plans would be best implemented at the BOE right where he is.

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/16/12 - 09:38 am
Bacon Grease

Why dontcha tell us how you really feel...:)

lifelongresident
lifelongresident 07/16/12 - 01:41 pm
so i guess his philosophy is

so i guess his philosophy is when the thugs break the law and get caught the authorities are to "reach out to them, try to understand their rage", so instead of law enforcement and imprisonment it is soft music and feel good/self-esteem programs to reach the "troubled youth"...hey officer roundtree i guess you believe "a stern finger wagging and a equally stern warning" is enuff to deter crime....WOW!!!! everyone stop the presses officer roundtree has developed a fupp proof crime stopping technique it is called "making the thug feel good about himself" this way the thug's self esteem will be elevated and feel good about himself and will leave you alone.....i guess officer roundtree you will get my vote.......NOT!!!!!!!

"earth to roundtree...earth to roundtree" it called BUILD BIGGER AND MORE JAILS, HAND DOWN LONGER AND LONGER SENTENCES!!!

beboisme
beboisme 08/05/12 - 11:28 am
KSD no one has said it

KSD no one has said it better! I am a white female who had the opportunity to work on a different level with Richard. Long, long ago Richard use to work security specials at Regency Mall on his days off from the Sheriffs Deptartment. I came to appreciate his professionalism and his deep respect for the good, bad and the ugly. He was young and growing, and that part right there says alot. Over the years I followed his career with RCSD and watched him grow into being a superb investigator. People have to grow and with that mistakes happen. Most mistakes can and are forgiven by supervisors, depending mostly on who you are and how you fit within the administrative pool. I can't say why his mistake followed by a demotion had to end the way that it did, but they took a caring, compassionate, hard working individual from a position that truly produced results to a sit on your thumbs job. In my opinion the Sheriffs office shot themselves in the foot when Richard resigned and went to the RCBOE. Not only was that a slap in the face to Richards experience as a violent crimes Investigator but a slap in the face to those of us who have seen first hand how Richards compassion for people who have lost a family member from a violent crime is. "Outstanding" was and is the word I would use to descibe his ability to report the loss of a son or daughter of a violent crime to family members as well as the ability to comfort those family members at a very dispairing time in their lives. In reporting the death of a loved one it takes more than the words from your mouth. It takes human compassion and with that comes the pain the reporting investigator absorbs, you know that can only come from the heart, and heart is what Richard has for the people and the place he was born and raised in. So normally mistakes are made and normally they are forgiven, but when mistakes are made and no one is really the wiser about the mistakes and you go on with no blimeshes on you record doesn't that raise a flag? Without a doubt there has been more within the department that has been overlooked than we will ever know of. I say, "Out with the old and tired rhetoric from long ago and let's see what an all new administration can do for our county." Tighten up your platform Richard and add to the programs for kids an hour of socializing the kids on a daily basis. Not only do they need direction in having something positive to do, they also need social skills that will carry them through for the rest of their lives. It really doesn't take a mountain of money to make this happen. What it will take is people who have time to give to these young people who are able to instill good morales into an already confused and clutterd life. Enforcing curfews is critical. Seeing kids making noise and walking the streets at 2a.m. is a crying shame. the old adage was "Parents do you know where your kids are?" It's now,''Kids do you know where your parents are?" Alot of parents have been absent in their kids lives, so the lost parents need structure as well.The cycle of kids raising themselves with no direction needs to stop, and with programs like Richard proposes I see hope for our kids, at least a few hours of mentoring is better than absolutely no mentoring! What they have learned from other kids who have raised themselves has not been for the greater good. I see potential for the next generation and even the now generation and potential for a good place for all of us to live under the direction of Richard Roundtree. So don't give up the battle yet folks as the war has just begun! Let the past be just what it is, the past, and let's move on to the greater possibilities that are before us. It starts with what if? We won't know if we don't put Richard in to find out. Support the greater possibilities.

Mavis Black
Mavis Black 10/16/12 - 07:07 am
QUESION

Are you the same Richard Roundtree that worked at dupont

Frazier retires after demotion

Long-time Richmond County principal Wayne Frazier, known for his unorthodox approach to school reform, submitted his resignation Wednesday after being demoted to a teacher this summer.