Paschall to seek district attorney post

Friday, July 13, 2012 2:15 PM
Last updated 11:52 PM

Evita Paschall announced her candidacy for district attorney Friday, promising to increase the visibility of the judicial circuit’s chief prosecutor.

Evita Paschall is running for district attorney.  MICHAEL HOLAHAN/FILE
MICHAEL HOLAHAN/FILE
Evita Paschall is running for district attorney.

Paschall, who practices civil law, said in her announcement that she has polled people in the three counties in the circuit and found that residents of Burke, Richmond and Columbia counties don’t know the district attorney’s name.

“Clearly we have a problem with visibility in the community,” Paschall, 61, said.

Paschall, a Democrat, said she can bring 36 years of experience practicing law to the position, including 2½ years as an assistant district attorney and experience as a magistrate court solicitor.

Incumbent and Republican Ashley Wright, 45, was appointed in 2008 and ran unopposed that year. On Friday, she said everyone in the courthouse knows who she is and that plenty of people have worked with her.

WhatNow
WhatNow 07/13/12 - 04:50 pm
It is scary to think that

It is scary to think that people so uninformed that they don't know the name of the district attorney (been in office since 2008), will be allowed to vote for district attorney. Check out the videos of Paschall on youtube. Is she really someone we want representing this judicial circuit? I think not.

BamaMan
BamaMan 07/13/12 - 06:34 pm
Is that all Ms Paschall has

Is that all Ms Paschall has to run on?

LocalLawyer
LocalLawyer 07/13/12 - 07:11 pm
Sean: Is this thing really

Sean:
Is this thing really confidential?

Willow Bailey
20605
Willow Bailey 07/13/12 - 11:17 pm
I think I'll just stick with

I think I'll just stick with Ashley Wright.

LocalLawyer
LocalLawyer 07/13/12 - 11:21 pm
“I’m certain the district

“I’m certain the district attorney is participating throughout the community on the level that is appropriate,” she said. Wait, did she just talk about herself in the third person?

HighSociety
HighSociety 07/13/12 - 11:39 pm
Yes Ashley Wright for sure!

Yes Ashley Wright for sure!

ByGeorge
ByGeorge 07/14/12 - 02:55 am
I met Ms. Paschall about ten

I met Ms. Paschall about ten years ago. She was extremely pompous and demanded to be treated better than others because she "is an attorney". What, that makes her better than us lowly non-attorney people? Maybe she's changed. Probably not. I don't want someone who so blatantly thinks her poo doesn't stink in office. My vote goes to Ms. Wright. And I've known since she took office who she is. If people don't know, then they should come out of their shell more often.

KSL
KSL 07/14/12 - 03:49 am
36 years as an attorney, 2

36 years as an attorney, 2 1/2 as an assistant district attorney?

KSL
KSL 07/14/12 - 09:59 pm
ByGrorge, I actually tbink

ByGrorge, I actually think the more people who don't know the DA is a good thing, if you catch my drift.

Why is important to know the name of the DA unless you are the victim of a crime or connected to a victim or the accused or connected to the accused? Could the focus here be out in left field? Shouldn't it be the success of getting and keeping criminals off the streets that brings about name recognition.

Actually, one of our former solicitors made a point of getting to know people. Or maybe I just feel tbat way because I indirectly worked for her for a short time.

KSL
KSL 07/14/12 - 04:27 am
Well I guess if you had a DA

Well I guess if you had a DA that was so very succesful that crime rates plummeted for fear of prosection and consequences.

ByGeorge
ByGeorge 07/14/12 - 07:59 am
KSL, you are right. I only

KSL, you are right. I only know from watching the news who Ms. Wright is.

I'm sure the DA is extremely busy building and prosecuting cases as well as managing the many ADAs who work with her. I imagine there just aren't enough hours in a day to hobnob all around town after town to ensure people know her name. Get real Ms. Paschall. Perhaps if you'd spent any time in criminal courts in the last decade, you'd realize what an insane caseload the DA's office has. Perhaps you should stick with private practice where you are fortunate to be able to pick and choose your cases.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 07/14/12 - 08:38 am
Next Election

Four years from now when the District Attorney will have to run again, they can run Chiquita Johnson against her.

avidreader
avidreader 07/14/12 - 08:39 am
To KSL

I catch your drift. Ms. Wright is very low key, which is a good thing. She's not wasting her time "politicking" around the area. Several insiders have commented to me that she runs a tight ship.

Ms. Paschell practices CIVIL law. She specializes in bankruptcies and personal injuries -- medical malpractice and auto accitdents. Is she in the same category as John Mixon, Ken Nugent, and the Leidens? Or, is she a true defender of the downtrodden?

Concerning community involvement, I know more about Ashley Wright than Evita Paschell. Let's keep "Quiet" Wright in the DA's office.

blues550
blues550 07/14/12 - 09:24 am
Horse race of a different color

Enter the race card...again...play on Augusta!

just an opinion
just an opinion 07/14/12 - 01:52 pm
shameful lawyers

avidreader: you're right. all lawyers mentioned above are shameful bottomfeeders.

Sweet son
Sweet son 07/15/12 - 12:15 pm
Already Admitted no Criminal Experience!

It would seem that 2 years out of "36 years of experience" would immediately make her unqualified to be the top lawyer in the Augusta Judicial Circuit and most would not even know what counties the circuit includes. A good DA would be one who has spent the majority of their career in and around the criminal courts. I suppose she got a government job because the bottom feeder money was not as good in the current economy. Another thing is that she is hoping to ride in on the tail of the dumb Obama voters.

KSL
KSL 07/15/12 - 03:29 pm
Sweet son, you verbalized my

Sweet son, you verbalized my thoughts exactly.

hotsaucemom
hotsaucemom 07/15/12 - 07:17 pm
We need to remove bias Grand

We need to remove bias Grand Jury practices in our Richmond County's court system. Paschall got my vote.

Sickness closes all McDuffie County schools

One day after closing an elementary because of excessive absences caused by an outbreak of influenza, strep infection and stomach viruses, the McDuffie County School System has decided to enact an ...