Despite endorsement trouble, Peebles appreciates support

A candidate for Richmond County sheriff said Wednesday that he was appreciative of the support of several area black police officers, even if they weren’t able to endorse him through their professional organization.

Back | Next
Peebles  ZACH BOYDEN-HOLMES/STAFF
ZACH BOYDEN-HOLMES/STAFF
Peebles

The group was asked Tuesday to retract a formal endorsement made a day earlier of sheriff’s Capt. Scott Peebles by the national headquarters of the National Organization of Black Law Enforcement Officers. Interim Executive Director Joseph Akers said that the men weren’t recognized as members and that the group’s chapters were prohibited from making such endorsements.

Two of the men, Chief Alfonzo Williams and Sgt. David Hannah, of the Waynesboro Police Department, sent a letter of apology to Peebles that said they still intended to endorse him as individual police officers. Williams explained Tuesday that the men were active members of the Georgia chapter but were unaware of the prohibition against endorsements. They were working to gain membership status with the national organization.

Peebles said he felt bad that the situation had caused controversy for the local chapter.

“I appreciate these law enforcement executives showing courage and conviction in standing on their (principles) and endorsing me for sheriff,” Peebles said in a statement.

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/04/12 - 09:30 pm
So Who Instigated This Whole Charade?

Damage control at work. Who went to these few black officers and asked them to do this? I suspect it was the same over zealous campaign contributor. They suddenly all sent in applications Tuesday to join the national organization after questions arose? They just decided to do that on their own?

What if Silas, Roundtree or Ivey had a group of officers say they were supporting one of them using the name of a group that they had no right to speak for? They could say they were group A of Sector B in Quadrant 3 of the subregion associated with, well you get the idea, and thought they could speak for the organization?

When you start playing tricks see what happens? Peebles' whole campaign has been one trick after another with the Democratic Party label.

rational thought trumps emotion
rational thought trumps emotion 07/04/12 - 11:27 pm
Austin's FB Page

Austin has the following posted on his FB page which certainly clears up a lot combined with the fact that the Augusta Chronicle has already reported that Pat Labat, the president of the Georgia chapter of NOBLE and chief of the City of Atlanta Department of Corrections, said the matter was primarily miscommunication. Labat said he had spoken to Akers and to a member of the delegation that had endorsed Peebles and it seemed to be an honest mistake. Seems like an issue between the state office and the national organization.

Captain Scott Peebles,

Please accept my apologies for any confusion surrounding the endorsement we issued on July 2, 2012.

Enclosed is my certification from NOBLE as the leader for area 7 of Georgia which is within Region 3. I inadvertently stated Region 7 because that is our assigned district for the Police Chief’s from the Georgia Police Chief’s Association.

I was appointed and sworn in by the Georgia Chapter of NOBLE for area 7 on May 16th, 2011 by then Georgia President Robert J. Ford. I still hold this position, attend Georgia meetings and have been active within Georgia since assuming this responsibility. Unfortunately, there was a misunderstanding at the local level and paperwork for my and other member’s national membership was not forwarded. This was brought to our attention by the Georgia chapter today after other candidate’s attorneys filed complaints with the National Organization and we immediately completed our national membership paperwork.

Anyone may contact past Georgia President, Robert J. Ford to clear up any misconceptions or the Current Georgia President Patrick Labat both of whom will verify our membership and area 7 within Georgia.

We were advised that even local area chapters are not to endorse candidates for office using the NOBLE name, logo, etc. and therefore this endorsement should have come from us individually as area law enforcement executives. Therefore, we collectively and unanimously unequivocally support and endorse democratic candidate Scott Peebles for Sheriff. As area law enforcement executives we continually rely on the support and guidance of an agency such as the Richmond County Sheriff’s Office and the leadership & assistance that Captain Peebles has provided over the years along with everything else we listed in our original endorsement stands.

We support you fully in your candidacy and from the many calls we have received today in appreciation of our support, be prepared for more individual endorsements from the law enforcement community within the immediate future. Each of the other officers in attendance will also be glad to provide official letters of endorsement if you desire.

Enclosed is a copy of my oath of office for Area 7 of Georgia NOBLE sworn on May 16, 2011.

Sergeant David Hannah

Chief Alfonzo Williams

Craig Spinks
Craig Spinks 07/05/12 - 01:10 am
"Much ado about...

nothing."

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/05/12 - 04:42 am
Much ado....could be spinks

Some of us haven't learned how to "toe that line"

One explanation that is often repeated is that the phrase derives from the British House of Commons. Arguments in the House are often heated. To deter members of opposing parties from attacking each other, two parallel red lines are marked, two sword-lengths apart, on the floor of the house. MPs are expected to stay behind these lines when a speech is in progress. Members, of course, no longer carry swords, but the tradition remains. Visitors to the House of Commons are very likely to hear this tale related by a tour guide. Counting against this supposed derivation is the fact that the current Commons Chamber dates from only 1950, when the building was rebuilt following WWII bomb damage. Paintings of earlier Commons chambers, from the times when members might actually have worn swords, show no such lines. The parliamentary link may be strengthened in some people's minds because of the 'toe the party line' usage, which relates to orthodoxy in politics

This is becoming a minefield for some on here..:(

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/05/12 - 06:01 am
Thanks to Reporter Steve Crawford

Thanks to Steve Crawford for breaking this story. He never ceases to amaze me with the inside information he comes up with. This guy KNOWS what's going on around town.

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/05/12 - 07:48 am
Promises, promises, promises

If all the promises being made are kept, there won't be any ranking officers left at the RCSO. If whoever wins this things starts getting rid of ranking officers with decades of hard work and experience to create positions for cronies and big contributors, it's going to be nauseating. All candidates should be quizzed about their intentions if they win.

That question has many in the department concerned and is a valid and important question to ask all the candidates at forums and in interviews.

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/05/12 - 08:09 am
If I were investigating I'd

If I were investigating I'd even look at how this last letter came about. Williams wrote it? Smile.

double_standard
double_standard 07/05/12 - 09:34 am
I think if this organization

I think if this organization would've supported Ivey or Roundtree the comments to this story would've been entirely different.

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/05/12 - 10:01 am
It's okay for people to try

It's okay for people to try to help their candidate with remarks and so on. I accept that happens even when they are personally slamming me. I never said a word and didn't even give a thumbs down to the personal attacks. Someone else must have complained and had them removed. Anyway, that's human nature.

However, those in the media know better. They know exactly what happened and WHO orchestrated the whole thing. When they start defending what's obviously wrong, it's the Joe Neal Jr. outside the courtroom syndrome. Sometimes it's best to be quiet, take your licks and move on.

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/05/12 - 10:02 am
Double Standard

I'll also slam Roundtree and Ivey when they screw up like this. I'm an equal opportunity cynic. However, it's hard to believe Ivey would ever pull such a juvenile stunt.

Karen Slater-McDaniel
Karen Slater-McDaniel 07/05/12 - 10:46 am
Double_Standard

Please explain to me what would be any different if the candidate were black (as implied by using Roundtree or Ivey as an example) or white?

Under 501(c)(3) it would not matter who the candidate was. A nonprofit organization cannot endorse nor contribute financially to ANY campaign or they would be danger of losing their nonprofit exempt status under the law.

There is a HUGE difference between any individual endorsing and/or contributing financially or in like-kind to a candidate (within the perimeters of the maximum amount laws) and someone trying to endorse a candidate by using the name of a nonprofit or for profit entity.

HighSociety
HighSociety 07/05/12 - 12:36 pm
Its amazing how we can read

Its amazing how we can read the same article, but still have completely different opinions. What I take from the article is one candidate being supported by some very good men in our law enforcement community. I don't see promises or corruption. This is a hugh endorsement! Its good to see people put their differences to the side and support an individual for his work ethics and not on the color of his skin.

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/05/12 - 01:17 pm
High Society said, "This is a

High Society said, "This is a hugh endorsement!"

Huh? It's not what it was presented to be. So far all we know is a very few officers were actually involved. Apparently, two signed a letter to Austin saying they were mistaken to use the group's name, but do support Peebles. Doesn't one of the two work for Peebles' big campaign guy? The lead story in some places used the name of the group saying it was a major endorsement by them. Total bull.

Karen Slater-McDaniel
Karen Slater-McDaniel 07/05/12 - 02:09 pm
Please read the press release

Please read the press release from Joseph Akers, dated July 3, 2012, on the Noble Website under 2012 Press Releases:

It does not get any clearer than the words out of the interim executive directors own mouth. He clearly and unquestionably states "none of the persons named in the article are, nor have they ever been NOBLE members and that the area they claim to represent does not exist according to the organization's official records ... between 2:00 p.n. and 2:35 p.m. today (which would be July 3, 2012) each of the persons listed applied for membership online ... those applications have been forwarded to our membership committee for review." Which I, for one, interpret to mean that only if and when the review committee approves their applications, then and thereafter, they will be members and not simply by applying and paying membership dues.

You can spin it, flip it, twist it, turn it whatever way you'd like but these people acted in "bad faith" in trying to imply they represented NOBLE.

Karen Slater-McDaniel
Karen Slater-McDaniel 07/05/12 - 02:13 pm
With all that said above

With all that said above, I personally do not believe having these individual endorse anyone as being HUGE!

Sorry but misrepresentation is never a plus .... not even in politics.

HighSociety
HighSociety 07/05/12 - 02:21 pm
Yes and you can spin it, flip

Yes and you can spin it, flip it, twist it or whatever you decide will help your cause. The bottom line is these are all very good men, and they continue to stand behind and support the man they feel is best to oversee the Sheriff 's Office. Just my opinion, but this speaks volume on what type of man Peebles is.

double_standard
double_standard 07/05/12 - 02:22 pm
When black people or groups

When black people or groups endorse black candidates they are accused of playing the race card. But this "organization" endorses a white candidate and they are transcending racial lines and all that other BS you people like to say. For once in this city, county, region, or whatever you wanna call it I would like to see white people stand up and openly support black candidates. I read the comments that Peebles is so much more qualified than the other candidates look at the resumes people he has no more qualifications than Ivey, or Roundtree as far as education. They've all attended the FBI training Academy and the numerous other continuing education requirements. So let's see how many white voters transcend racial lines.

HighSociety
HighSociety 07/05/12 - 02:35 pm
DS, How do you think Obama is

DS, How do you think Obama is sitting in the White House today? Because whites crossed that "racial line", and put him in office. So enough of the racial political stunts. How about support someone based on being the best man for the job.

Karen Slater-McDaniel
Karen Slater-McDaniel 07/05/12 - 02:47 pm
Double_Standard I will openly

Double_Standard I will openly tell anyone, without hiding behind any user name, that I love Tree (Richard Roundtree) to death, he made mistakes, admitted the mistakes and moved on with his life. I also have the upmost respect for John Ivey, have been to his annual Christmas Party at his home, his wife and family are the most gracious people I have ever met. And I would have voted for Herman Cain and wouldn't have given a rats butt who he slept with or who he didn't if he would have been honest with the public about it, instead of denying it.

I base my support on honesty more than anything else. Past sins can be and should be forgiven when confessed and NOT repeated.

When people backstab, lie, target, cheat, steal, and are unrepenting ... well that is when you have to determine for yourself if a person is truly sorry ... or just sorry they got caught! Just my opinion.

iLove
iLove 07/05/12 - 02:54 pm
"Cut the crap"

How can this election NOT be based on race.....heck, its being held in Augusta, Georgia....you know THE Augusta, Georgia.

Karen Slater-McDaniel
Karen Slater-McDaniel 07/05/12 - 02:54 pm
High Society ... we can

High Society ... we can further this conversation when personnel records from former agencies and when pending and/or past disciplinary actions from GAPOST come in. Until then I will have to take your word for it.

janderson1945
1903
janderson1945 07/05/12 - 03:15 pm
Peebles is the best choice for Sheriff

This troubled me at first but it is clear that this is an issue betweent he State Chapter and National Chapter, nothing more, nothing less. Pat Labat, the president of the Georgia chapter of NOBLE and chief of the City of Atlanta Department of Corrections, said the matter was primarily miscommunication. Labat said he had spoken to Akers and to a member of the delegation that had endorsed Peebles and it seemed to be an honest mistake. “We will take all that into account and move forward from there,” he said. These officers are members of the state NOBLE and do indeed represent region Seven and have so for some time. The National Organization apparently has not updated their records or even visited the GA Noble webiste which shows this region listed. When the mistake between the state and national was recognized, the paperwork was immediately forwarded as requested. These men are not only noble, they are honerable police officers who are now being condembed by a few because they took a stand for a great candidate for Sheriff. http://www.georgianoble.org/ And I thought politics was rough where we came from!

HighSociety
HighSociety 07/05/12 - 03:15 pm
DS, Ed McIntre was elected

DS, Ed McIntre was elected Mayor of Augusta in 1981. He got 10% of the white vote which was the deciding factor. That is just an example of whites supporting blacks. There has been several others over the years. Does Augusta have racial problems? Yep sure does! Both sides are guilty of it. Hopefully one day we will
move past all the hate.

KSM, Truth is they all could probably do a fine job. I'm proud of them all for standing up and attempting to tackle a job that comes in a county currently full of crime.

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/05/12 - 03:28 pm
Is Roundtree adressing the

Is Roundtree adressing the issue today at a press conference?

old doper
old doper 07/05/12 - 03:33 pm
Peebles is the best man in

Peebles is the best man in the race. Period. Get off the race baiting, money baiting, confess your sins mantra. Even the detractors will be treated fairly by Sheriff Peebles. Can you say that about your chosen candidate? I think not.......

double_standard
double_standard 07/05/12 - 03:40 pm
No race baiting just stating

No race baiting just stating facts. No one knows how the new sheriff whomever that may be will treat his opponents and detractors.

Karen Slater-McDaniel
Karen Slater-McDaniel 07/05/12 - 03:49 pm
Opinion noted Old Doper

Opinion noted Old Doper. And you KNOW your opinion to be true how? Is it fact or is it merely YOUR opinion?

You can see that I am not race baiting because I am as white as a white girl can get. I grew up in South Augusta and went to Glenn Hills High School, so I have no reason to race bait in either direction.

I simply agree with certain comments made by both Double_Standard and iLove. And I will not close my eyes to the truth nor will I be silenced by ANYONE when it is what I believe in. Nor will I hide my identity any longer. People want to know who I am ... again ... here you have it.

Karen Slater-McDaniel
Karen Slater-McDaniel 07/06/12 - 11:00 pm
The brightness almost blinds me

clk0806 ... The phrase "a day late & a dollar short" comes to mind a lot lately. Our "finest" at work ... scary. Please let's raise the bar up a notch or twenty.