Augusta State University student to challenge Earnest Smith for Ga. House seat

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 1:54 PM
Last updated 7:32 PM

A college student plans to challenge Democratic state Rep. Earnest Smith this election year.

Hopper   Special
Special
Hopper

“I do believe that we perhaps need some adjustment to what we’re doing right now,” said David Hopper, a history major at Augusta State Uni­versity.

Hopper, 27, filed a declaration of intent to seek the 122nd House District seat last week. The district reaches from Smith’s home in Olde Town south and west to Hopper’s home near Windsor Spring Road.

Hopper was working as a delivery driver for an Olin Chemical contractor when he broke his leg last year and returned to college, where he determined he had something to offer.

The Butler High School graduate running as a Repub­lican said new strict environmental regulations are costing his neighbors jobs at Olin. He also believes the school system could improve.

“I know we can do better. A lot of students I’ve met don’t think they can succeed,” Hopper said.

He admits he has no political experience, but has a Web site and plans to walk the district door-to-door when the semester ends.

Hopper has no campaign cash but expects to raise the $400 qualifying fee soon. Smith, who ran unopposed in his first two elections, showed a balance of $5,085 in his latest campaign finance report.

Bouganvillea
Bouganvillea 04/11/12 - 02:49 pm
Good luck to this young man

Good luck to this young man

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 04/11/12 - 02:53 pm
Well, at least Smith will

Well, at least Smith will have to start looking at least a little bit alert.

David Hopper
David Hopper 04/11/12 - 03:29 pm
Well, thank you. Feel free to

Well, thank you. Feel free to look me up, I think you'll find I'm more open than others. You can read about me and my campaign on my website, www.HopperForHouse.com

Elected office 'should' never be about who has or who can spend the most money. I respect Mr. Smith and some of the resolutions he helped make in the House, and look forward to speaking with him.

grammamil
grammamil 04/11/12 - 05:40 pm
I truly believe this young

I truly believe this young man may have the right idea to get involved. I also believe he needs to look deep before taking that leap. His experience is rather limited and formed by factors he does not yet understand fully.

David Hopper
David Hopper 04/11/12 - 08:24 pm
Also, thank you Mrs. McCord

Also, thank you Mrs. McCord for speaking with me. I was a guest at a Rotary luncheon a couple weeks ago with your new president, General Atkins as the keynote. His praise of the Chronicle staff was well earned.

unbiased_propaganda
unbiased_propaganda 04/12/12 - 09:15 am
Unless you know Ms. McCord

Unless you know Ms. McCord personally and know that she is married - you should probably use Ms. instead of Mrs.

Just a bit of advice going into your campaign. Good luck David.

David Hopper
David Hopper 04/12/12 - 07:01 pm
Indeed. Care to be my speech

Indeed. Care to be my speech writer? I can use a couple smart volunteers. I'll put you to work pounding the pavement right there next to me.

SRS shipments halted until 2016

Savannah River Site can't resume shipments of Cold War nuclear waste materials to an underground repository in New Mexico until at least 2016 when the federal government reopens the facility to ...