Attorney Freddie Sanders declares as Republican candidate for Richmond County sheriff

Lawyer is fifth candidate for sheriff

Monday, April 2, 2012 5:30 PM
Last updated 9:33 PM

Richmond County’s fifth candidate for sheriff made it official on Monday.

Back | Next
Freddie Sanders (right) announces his candidacy for sheriff as former Augusta mayor Larry Sconyers looks on Monday outside the Augusta Municipal Building.  STEVE CRAWFORD/STAFF
STEVE CRAWFORD/STAFF

Steve Crawford
Columbia County News Times Publisher
Twitter: @scrawfordccnt
E-mail | 706-868-1222

Attorney Freddie Sanders told supporters gathered outside the Augusta Municipal Building that even though he hasn’t worn a badge in more than 25 years, his heart is still in law enforcement.

Sanders said he intends to run as a Republican. So far, four other candidates have said they will run on the Democratic ballot.

“I am a conservative, but I’m going to be the sheriff for everybody,” Sanders said. “I don’t care where you live or what walk of life you come from, I’m going to be your sheriff. My door will be open.”

Sanders said he intends to aggressively enforce the law and “lock up these thieves and lock up these burglars and lock up these people that are committing these violent crimes.”

He also said he intends to educate the people of Richmond County about what the sheriff’s office can and cannot do for them.

“I’m going to change the way calls are taken and perhaps not have to send too many cars out every time to keep these cars free – the patrol division free – to patrol Richmond County and to give the people what they deserve,” he said.

Sanders, an attorney with Capers, Dunbar, Sanders, Bruckner & Bellotti LLP, was the chief of the Richmond County Police Department before it was dissolved in 1985.

Supporters say Sanders’ years of experience in law enforcement and as a practicing attorney make him the best qualified of those running for office.

“We are blessed to have the most qualified person in the world right here,” said former Augusta Mayor Larry Sconyers, who stood at Sanders’ side throughout his announcement speech.

Sconyers said although it might seem counterintuitive to run as a Republican in a majority Democratic county, it could be a strategy that works.

Sconyers said with four Democrats on the ballot in the July primary, that race will likely go to a runoff. He said there are several Republican candidates in other races, such as Rick Allen, who has declared as a candidate for the 2nd Congressional District, who will draw voters who want to vote for Sanders also. Any Democrats counting on getting help from Republican voters in the primary might be disappointed, he said.

“Some people are talking about a Republican crossover vote; I’m not sure that’s going to happen,” Sconyers said.

Sanders appears to be the candidate ready to take on whomever comes out of the contest for the Democratic ticket.

“Our message is going to be, ‘Let’s look at the qualifications, let’s look at the man,’” Sconyers said.

csraguy
csraguy 04/03/12 - 05:40 pm
Seenitb4, argee with ya on

Seenitb4, argee with ya on that - would be fine with me if ALL of the candidate would post their opinions directly on articles related to the race. I guess they probably all could do without seeing what is said on here sometimes though.

Riverman1
Riverman1 04/03/12 - 05:46 pm
There is as much chance of

There is as much chance of Scott Peebles coming on here, or anywhere, and answering questions as there is of the Savannah River running north and going over the dam at Clark Hill the other way. He has waaaaayyyyyy toooooo much baggage.

Riverman1
Riverman1 04/03/12 - 05:55 pm
CSRAGuy said, "River, I was

CSRAGuy said, "River, I was simply reminding you of the many demeaning posts you have made against Sheriff Strength and "I am not a Social Worker Strength" - frankly community policing is very far from social work anyways."

Do you describe factual comments as demeaning posts? Let's all be honest here. You post anything I've said demeaning to Strength and we will discuss it here. Let's see if he deserved it. I don't worship deities. I have only posted facts is the truth. Strength was the one who said he wasn't a social worker, not me.

CSRAGuy, I'll also tell you I pulled punches concerning Strength out of decency.

I'll also tell you I have pulled punches concerning Peebles with information given to me from officers in the RCSO because I figure things like THAT just happen with all organizations and remember I spent time in the Army. I can relate to such things.

EyeMaeNo
EyeMaeNo 04/03/12 - 06:24 pm
From comments I've read I

From comments I've read I wouldn't be a bit surprised if some of the posters ARE candidates, their SPOUSE, or their stuck up their butt "YES men". Hilarious!

Riverman1
Riverman1 04/03/12 - 07:44 pm
CSRAGuy, I'll remind you that

CSRAGuy, I'll remind you that I've been here for years making comments about various subjects. I've usually been on the right side with my comments or said so when I wasn't. I've also brought up a few points that ended up as major stories of all kinds. I've met the other posters from the AC at get-togethers.

You on the other hand showed up about a month ago and have only commented on the Sheriff's race with comments in favor of Scott Peebles. That's okay, but my objectivity has been proven while yours hasn't.

I was at first in support of Peebles, but as emails came to me as I always request, my opinion changed. When Sanders joined the race, it was obvious whom I should support.

Riverman1
Riverman1 04/04/12 - 07:39 am
From information given to me

From information given to me so far, there appear to be three candidates without baggage. Silas, Ivey and Sanders on the Republican side.

David Hopper
David Hopper 04/08/12 - 08:16 pm
I applaud Mr. Sanders for

I applaud Mr. Sanders for following his concious and putting the welfare of our county over his ample paycheck as an attorney.

2014 City salaries rose slightly

The salaries of Augusta-Richmond County employees remained relatively flat over the past year, but some people got big raises. Average full-time pay increased by 1.4 percent to $38,949.19.