Attorney Freddie Sanders declares as Republican candidate for Richmond County sheriff

Lawyer is fifth candidate for sheriff

Monday, April 2, 2012 5:30 PM
Last updated 9:33 PM

Richmond County’s fifth candidate for sheriff made it official on Monday.

Back | Next
Freddie Sanders (right) announces his candidacy for sheriff as former Augusta mayor Larry Sconyers looks on Monday outside the Augusta Municipal Building.  STEVE CRAWFORD/STAFF
STEVE CRAWFORD/STAFF

Attorney Freddie Sanders told supporters gathered outside the Augusta Municipal Building that even though he hasn’t worn a badge in more than 25 years, his heart is still in law enforcement.

Sanders said he intends to run as a Republican. So far, four other candidates have said they will run on the Democratic ballot.

“I am a conservative, but I’m going to be the sheriff for everybody,” Sanders said. “I don’t care where you live or what walk of life you come from, I’m going to be your sheriff. My door will be open.”

Sanders said he intends to aggressively enforce the law and “lock up these thieves and lock up these burglars and lock up these people that are committing these violent crimes.”

He also said he intends to educate the people of Richmond County about what the sheriff’s office can and cannot do for them.

“I’m going to change the way calls are taken and perhaps not have to send too many cars out every time to keep these cars free – the patrol division free – to patrol Richmond County and to give the people what they deserve,” he said.

Sanders, an attorney with Capers, Dunbar, Sanders, Bruckner & Bellotti LLP, was the chief of the Richmond County Police Department before it was dissolved in 1985.

Supporters say Sanders’ years of experience in law enforcement and as a practicing attorney make him the best qualified of those running for office.

“We are blessed to have the most qualified person in the world right here,” said former Augusta Mayor Larry Sconyers, who stood at Sanders’ side throughout his announcement speech.

Sconyers said although it might seem counterintuitive to run as a Republican in a majority Democratic county, it could be a strategy that works.

Sconyers said with four Democrats on the ballot in the July primary, that race will likely go to a runoff. He said there are several Republican candidates in other races, such as Rick Allen, who has declared as a candidate for the 2nd Congressional District, who will draw voters who want to vote for Sanders also. Any Democrats counting on getting help from Republican voters in the primary might be disappointed, he said.

“Some people are talking about a Republican crossover vote; I’m not sure that’s going to happen,” Sconyers said.

Sanders appears to be the candidate ready to take on whomever comes out of the contest for the Democratic ticket.

“Our message is going to be, ‘Let’s look at the qualifications, let’s look at the man,’” Sconyers said.

EyeMaeNo
EyeMaeNo 04/02/12 - 06:01 pm
Freddie must be one helluva

Freddie must be one helluva actor because he's even convinced Larry he's running for real. *sarcasm* I guess we'll wait on the next conspiracy theory to be revealed.

seenitB4
seenitB4 04/02/12 - 06:22 pm
When he says ... Attorney

When he says ...

Why can't you believe the man....I do.

Riverman1
Riverman1 04/02/12 - 06:52 pm
It seems to me there have

It seems to me there have been enough conspiracy theories about Peebles and Roundtree that we could concentrate on and not have to make up one about Sanders.

EyeMaeNo
EyeMaeNo 04/02/12 - 07:18 pm
Exactly Riverman ... !!!

Exactly Riverman ... !!!

EyeMaeNo
EyeMaeNo 04/02/12 - 07:23 pm
I guess I should clarify: I

I guess I should clarify: I AM FOR FREDDIE SANDERS. My sarcasm is directed at the people who insist that Freddie running is a ploy.

seenitB4
seenitB4 04/02/12 - 07:42 pm
Well I'm glad to see you have

Well I'm glad to see you have good taste eyemaeno.....:)

seenitB4
seenitB4 04/02/12 - 07:45 pm
YEA...for Larry Sconyers Too!

YEA...for Larry Sconyers Too!

Waymore
Waymore 04/02/12 - 07:56 pm

Thank you Freddie Sanders for the following statements:

He also said he intends to educate the people of Richmond County about what the sheriff’s office can do for them, and what it cannot.

"I’m going to change the way calls are taken and perhaps not have to send too many cars out every time to keep these cars free — the patrol division free — to patrol Richmond County and to give the people what they deserve,” he said....

Too many people call the Sheriff's Office for too many non-law enforcement functions. It seems as though the citizens want civil disputes mediated by the Sheriff's Office (there is a Marshal's Office that handles civil matters), they do the job of insurance adjusters by handling calls that should be handled by insurance companies, they have to babysit grown adults when there is a custody exchange, they have to handle thefts that happened in the past and someone just "figured they should report it" now (calls that should not need a car dispatched), calls that should be handled by other county entities that are somehow always routed to the Sheriff's Office to handle. If the deputies could get back to policing instead of "paperworking", maybe we'd see a decline in criminal activity.

Sheriff Sanders....sounds good to me!

Riverman1
Riverman1 04/03/12 - 08:12 am
I find it very interesting

I find it very interesting that two people I know to be RCSO officers making comments here and another one who emails me privately are all negative about Peebles and appear to be supporting Sanders. From what I've been shown, there will be a dark cloud over the office if either Roundtree or Peebles is elected.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 04/03/12 - 08:22 am
New blood would be better

New blood would be better than inbreeding.

Riverman1
Riverman1 04/03/12 - 08:35 am
It was previously discussed

It was previously discussed by Sylvia that Roundtree had extramarital affairs with female officers. Commenters also brought up that at least one other candidate had an affair with an RCSO employee while married and living with his wife. Some supporters of one candidate, such as Austin and some commenters here, feel that's not against department regulations and is personal business.

I have to ask what candidate for political office of any kind wouldn't have such issues examined in detail even if it's not against department regulations? By the way, I think there should be a regulation about such behavior.

Domestic strife can lead to violence and so on. What if an angry wife rammed a county car? What if the person hid that incident and paid to get the car repaired himself so no report would be made? Think things like that ever happen in Richmond County?

Riverman1
Riverman1 04/03/12 - 08:36 am
We learned yesterday that few

We learned yesterday that few divorce proceedings are sealed. It might be interesting for Sylvia to look at the divorce proceedings of some of the candidates since she has opened this door discussing in print Roundtree's extramarital affairs. I'd advise interested parties to get those court records fast, before they disappear.

allhans
allhans 04/03/12 - 10:01 am
Will a vote for Sanders be a

Will a vote for Sanders be a vote for Roundtree? Lots of questions... -:)

Riverman1
Riverman1 04/03/12 - 11:13 am
Allhans, all I can say is if

Allhans, all I can say is if you are a Republican vote that way, Democrats should do the same. If your party affiliation is on the fence, vote for the best man. That's Sanders, I have no doubt.

csraguy
csraguy 04/03/12 - 05:10 pm
River, your comments couldn't

River, your comments couldn't be further from the truth. In speaking with many deputies, it is far preferred to have a Sheriff that has law enforcement experience in this century, is already a good leader within the agency and cares greatly for those within the agency. Comments such as sending less cars to calls, etc. show just how out of touch with modern policing Freddie is. He would do a great job as a tough judge, and believe me, our area needs them. But, as for leading a 700 man Sheriff's Office progressively into the future, he is not the top choice. A True Community policing model, efficiently run is far better than any lock em all up and throw away the key mentality.

seenitB4
seenitB4 04/03/12 - 11:25 am
Hahah....All I can say

Hahah....All I can say River,......Freddie must be worrying some right now....this century....LOL LOL

Riverman1
Riverman1 04/03/12 - 11:25 am
CSRAGuy, I find it strange

CSRAGuy, I find it strange that community policing is now being promoted by y'all when it was myself and others who brought this up often against derogatory comments by public people. The RCSO seemed to be very hostile to the idea from the public comments. Keep in mind, part of the process of community policing is empowering the officer. What Mr. Sanders is proposing is controlling the public's use of the 911 call. That's a whole other game. The officers understand what he means, if you look at Waymore's comment.

csraguy
csraguy 04/03/12 - 11:27 am
Additionally River, I can

Additionally River, I can assure you the partial "info" you have is far from the truth which I why I will assume you have left the name off of the post. If you want to know, pick up the phone and ask him or email him directly, the number is easily found. Same for the other RC candidate being accused of stuff on Austin's show, I believe it to be bogus as well and even the Sheriff say's it simply is not true.

Sylvia is not reporting Roundtree's extra marital affairs outside of those that were done while on duty multiple times causing him to be suspended - there is no comparison with what you are attempting to push. I don’t think there is or ever will be a “perfect” candidate but what they do/have done on duty, been written up for, disciplined and demoted for, etc. is far different than personal matters that have been handled no matter who the candidate or office is.

Riverman1
Riverman1 04/03/12 - 11:29 am
SeenIt, yeah, that "this

SeenIt, yeah, that "this century" thing was his attempt to put a buzz word issue out there. Don't worry, if age is all he has to use, that's smalltime compared to what we have on Peebles.

seenitB4
seenitB4 04/03/12 - 11:32 am
Yeh RM...tease them

Yeh RM...tease them though.....don't put it all out there at once!!
:):)

csraguy
csraguy 04/03/12 - 11:33 am
River, to the best of my

River, to the best of my knowledge Sheriff Strength is not a candidate and those who are have their own visions for the future of the agency. While I may not share your vision of being a social worker as you have often stated, I am fully trained and knowledgabe in current community policing standards and have always been a supporter as well as those who have attempted to implement it within the RCSO.

Riverman1
Riverman1 04/03/12 - 11:33 am
I'm starting to like "this

I'm starting to like "this century" thing timeline. I'll give any candidate a break who didn't commit adultery with another RCSO employee in this century. Anything before 2000 is past my personal statute of limitations.

seenitB4
seenitB4 04/03/12 - 11:35 am
Ya killing me now....this

Ya killing me now....this century....lol

Riverman1
Riverman1 04/03/12 - 11:36 am
Ah, the idea of an officer

Ah, the idea of an officer being a "social worker" never came from anyone on these boards making comments in favor of community policing. That came from RCSO administration and clearly shows the hostility suggestions of community policing were met with.

seenitB4
seenitB4 04/03/12 - 11:45 am
Funny thing is...I have

Funny thing is...I have always found men do their best thinking in their 60s.....down to earth kind of thinking-----make the best supers too.....well I could go on & on...but hey just not enough time :)

Anyway...I know it is sooo hard to give up power....& "sumthin" tells me we are going to have a flip in South Augusta politics..:)

EyeMaeNo
EyeMaeNo 04/03/12 - 12:39 pm
Yes CSRAguy ... let's ask the

Yes CSRAguy ... let's ask the candidates about what is being suggested as past adultery. Picture this as a response: "I did NOT have sexual relations with that woman." ... Sound familiar? Of course that was the answer prior to being proved a liar.

EyeMaeNo
EyeMaeNo 04/03/12 - 03:30 pm
When something comes from the

When something comes from the "horses mouth" how can it be hearsay? Maybe people who have political aspirations should think about their actions before deciding to run for office.

Soapy has had the best comment of today.

Bouganvillea
Bouganvillea 04/03/12 - 02:04 pm
Well so far I really like

Well so far I really like Sanders and he will likely get my vote. I was leaning towards Peebles, but I dont like how he is pretending to be a Democrat because he thinks that is the easist way to win. That is a turn off to me. At least Sanders is running on his true convictions, and he has a lots of experience. The other thing that started worrying me about Peebles were the usual suspects who were coming out in support of him (Deke, The Boardmans, .. and it looks like the Chronicle is in the tank for him too. Take that for what it's worth, but that leads me to believe that Peebles may not be completely independent if elected. If The Chronicle and the "usual suspects" are pushing Peebles so hard then that gives me pause, and I dont buy that Peebles is embracing community policing. I think thats just to get elected.. how can Ronnie Strength's right hand man all of a sudden be fore community policing now? Strength was openly hostile to the idea.. so why would his hand-picked successor be for it? And why didn't Peebles do more to get Strength to go in that direction? I just dont buy it.. just like him running as Democrat when everyone knows he isnt... its just more political posturing.

csraguy
csraguy 04/03/12 - 05:07 pm
River, I was simply reminding

River, I was simply reminding you of the many demeaning posts you have made against Sheriff Strength and "I am not a Social Worker Strength" - frankly community policing is very far from social work anyways. I do however appreciate the many posts you have made supporting law enforcement in general.

Bouganvillea, frankly I could care less if an individual is running as a democrat or republican, I would vote for the best person either way. The Sheriff is the Sheriff for everyone and his political affiliation or non-affiliation for that matter has no bearing on anything.

However, you do make some good & legitimate points/questions and I know many deputies have also asked some of those questions. Peebles has pushed for community policing and so far he was given permission for baby steps. The initiation of the burglary task force was a huge step in the right direction, those deputies know the communities in which they are working, have worked great with the citizens and burglaries have drastically decreased over the past year since this was initiated. I take him at his word and for more than 2 years have heard him discuss ideas, etc. and you couldn't ask for a more community oriented police officer than Scott Peebles who goes to forums, neighborhood association meetings, etc. and has been doing so for more than 5 years. Peebles is Strengths hand picked successor as you say but that is because I believe the Sheriff would like to see the department continue to head in the right direction as it has continually under his leadership and he knows Peebles is the most qualified and prepared for the job even though Freddie Sanders is one of his best friends. Captain Peebles is prepared to take it to the next level as well as implement many of his ideas which are different than Sheriff Strength - the best one which he has listed on his web site from my opinion is something which he and others has wanted for years is for the RCSO to set the standard and that will start with National Accreditation.

As for Mayor Copenhaver, The Boardman’s, etc. backing anyone, they have a very vested interest in this community and I believe they always back whom they consider to be best, not just whom they can control. It was made clear the Peebles will work for everyone when the "Southside Mafia" needed to get Silas in the election so they would have someone they could tell what to do and they knew that was not the type of Sheriff Peebles would be.

At the same time I believe Freddie Sanders to be a good person and he would be my second choice for Sheriff - no one else even comes close. That being said, he would be better behind the bench for our county than as our Sheriff and frankly, that is what I think he wants anyway.

seenitB4
seenitB4 04/03/12 - 05:21 pm
GEEZ....I really wish Freddie

GEEZ....I really wish Freddie would come on & post for himself.....I have NEVER seen so many people say they know what HE wants...

Freddie--ya hear me...:)

Vogtle workers see both reactor projects

Some veterans of the nuclear industry were at the site south of Augusta to see the complex network of rebar and concrete rising out of the ground in the 1970s and ’80s. Now, they are back.