Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

4 candidates may compete for Richmond County sheriff

Tuesday, March 13, 2012 9:57 PM
Last updated 10:25 PM

The race for Richmond County sheriff is starting to get crowded.

Lt. Richard Roundtree plans to announce Thursday he will run for sheriff.
Lt. Richard Roundtree plans to announce Thursday he will run for sheriff.

With Sheriff Ronnie Strength stepping aside, there are at least four others who say they are ready to compete for his position.

Sheriff’s Capt. Scott Peebles announced his intentions Monday, and sheriff’s Lt. Robbie Silas said he plans to make a formal announcement, too, probably by Friday.

Both Peebles and Silas said they are working to organize their campaigns this week. Peebles will run on the Democratic ticket, but Silas said he is weighing his options.

Historically, the winner of the Democratic primary has gone on to win the general election in November, many times unopposed.

With several candidates running, however, Silas said he also is considering qualifying as a Republican, which could keep him in the race against whoever survives the primary in July.

“I haven’t made a decision yet,” Silas said.

Richmond County School Safety Lt. Richard Roundtree said he has nothing to consider.

“I am a Democrat,” he said Tuesday.

Although he hasn’t held a news conference, Roundtree has established campaign headquarters on Broad Street and an official campaign Web site.

He also has a fundraiser set for later this month. Roundtree acknowledged that his campaign has been gearing up for a while.

“The last
three months, we’ve been preparing
for this campaign because we knew the sheriff wasn’t going to run,” he said. “I’ve been working for three months, and I’ve been preparing myself for five years.”

His formal announcement will come at 10 a.m. Thursday at Beulah Grove Baptist Church.

A fourth candidate also intends to join the race. Sheriff’s Lt. John Ivey said he will make an official announcement later this week.

Ivey is a longtime sheriff’s deputy who worked for the Augusta Police Department before the city and county governments consolidated.

He is in charge of administering polygraph tests for the sheriff’s office.

Peebles said he has heard a couple of other names of possible candidates still waiting in the wings, so the field could expand even further before qualifying ends May 25.

Peebles said he welcomes the competition.

“It’s going to get interesting,” he said.

COMING SUNDAY

Richmond County Sheriff Ronnie Strength talks about the highs and lows during his 11 years as Richmond County’s top cop, and The Augusta Chronicle profiles those who want to be the new sheriff in town.

Frank I
Frank I 03/14/12 - 12:06 am
There's something a little

There's something a little bothersome about announcing candidacy for political office from a church.. hmmm...

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 03/14/12 - 04:51 am
I hope the Augusta voters

I hope the Augusta voters think long and hard before they cast their support and votes for Roundtree. He needs to come clean and answer point-blank questions about his involvement in a couple of questionable acts on his part. I just think he comes with some baggage. I hope and pray that the black community doesn't just blindly vote for the man just because he's black! I don't know who these other 2 guys are that are running, but for the sake of the black community, I hope at least one of them is black...that'll at least give them more of a choice.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 03/14/12 - 08:01 am
I would guess that he's

I would guess that he's announcing his sheriff campaign at a church to neutralize talk about sexual sin.

Riverman1 03/14/12 - 08:06 am
Someone tell me about Ivey.

Someone tell me about Ivey. Is he white or black? Good man? Democrat?

Riverman1 03/14/12 - 08:08 am
Someone should interview the

Someone should interview the woman in prison Roundtree used to sign out of jail on Sunday afternoons for hours at the time. She could have some interesting comments if she is in the snitching mood.

Austin Rhodes
Austin Rhodes 03/14/12 - 08:55 am
Lt. John Ivey is black...and

Lt. John Ivey is black...and if someone does not qualify as a Republican, they are missing an opportunity.

Riverman1 03/14/12 - 08:56 am
So far I'll stick with

So far I'll stick with Peebles, but, yes, race is a factor. There's never been a black sheriff of the county and it's a predominantly black county now. If race didn't matter somewhere over the past few hundred years a black sheriff would have been elected. When the Cabal went looking for someone to run against William Fenoy, they sure didn't look for a black.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 03/14/12 - 08:57 am
I think it is improper for

I think it is improper for people to run for office while they hold government jobs, especially in law enforcement. All four of these men need to go on unpaid leave when they pay their qualifying fee. If they lose the election, they can go back to their job.

Riverman1 03/14/12 - 08:58 am
I thought it said Silas is

I thought it said Silas is going to run as a Republican. Roundtree and Ivey should have a talk. So much subterfuge going on here, it's hard to tell who is a real candidate and who is a decoy.

double_standard
double_standard 03/14/12 - 08:58 am
Rm1 LT. Ivey is black. He

Rm1 LT. Ivey is black. He conducts the lie detector tests for the dept. Good guy very low key. He or LT. Silas would be excellent choices.

Austin Rhodes
Austin Rhodes 03/14/12 - 08:59 am
LL...by law, they have to go

LL...by law, they have to go on leave when they qualify...except an incumbant.

Riverman1 03/14/12 - 09:00 am
LL, they don't make enough to

LL, they don't make enough to take time off to campaign. But the winner is suddenly going to become a very well off individual. Strength donated $10,000 to charity. Remember that?

Riverman1 03/14/12 - 09:02 am
Double Standard, will the

Double Standard, will the black community get behind Ivey instead of Roundtree? If not you just split your vote.

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 03/14/12 - 09:03 am
The decision should be easy,

The decision should be easy, Sheriff Peebles.

Riverman1 03/14/12 - 09:03 am
Double Standard, what y'all

Double Standard, what y'all need is another white Democrat to run...which may happen.

Austin Rhodes
Austin Rhodes 03/14/12 - 09:05 am
If Silas is running as a

If Silas is running as a Republican, he better get some new supporters...or at least someone who is more popular among conservatives than J.B. Powell.

Riverman1 03/14/12 - 09:06 am
J. B. Powell would seem to

J. B. Powell would seem to fit the mold for Richmond County Sheriffs. He has political clout in the county with the Democrats. Who knows?

Riverman1 03/14/12 - 09:07 am
Ha..swear to God, I didn't

Ha..swear to God, I didn't see you say Powell, Austin. LOL...We are thinking alike for once. Heh

Riverman1 03/14/12 - 09:08 am
Austin, but Powell would run

Austin, but Powell would run as a Dem. Right?

Austin Rhodes
Austin Rhodes 03/14/12 - 09:08 am
Silas (above) says he is

Silas (above) says he is weighing his options...that is fine, but if it is him vs. Peebles there ain't gonna be REAL Republican #1 who will vote for him come November...not with the cast of characters he has lining up behind him.

You have heard of "Return of the Living Dead"?

Try "Return of the Living Dead South Augusta Mafia".

Austin Rhodes
Austin Rhodes 03/14/12 - 09:09 am
No...Powell is not

No...Powell is not running...he is pushing Silas...HARD.

Riverman1 03/14/12 - 09:12 am
Webster, Strength,

Webster, Strength, Powell....same lineage as a certain RCSO officer likes to say.

Riverman1 03/14/12 - 09:16 am
All Silas is running as a

All Silas is running as a Republican is the safety valve pass in case Peebles doesn't get the Democratic nod. What the blacks need is a white Democrat to run against Peebles.

Riverman1 03/14/12 - 09:19 am
I wonder if the blacks could

I wonder if the blacks could put up Matt Aitken for Sheriff in the Democratic primary? He does well in those type things. He makes a career out of those type deals.

double_standard
double_standard 03/14/12 - 09:31 am
Split the vote Rm1 did you

Split the vote Rm1 did you not see Helen Blocker Adams Augusta's version of Herman Cain supporting Peepbles at his announcement. Also school board president Marion Barnes in a sense Roundtree's boss. Finally Sammie Sias who runs the Jamestown Community Center without county funding. So I think the vote already split.

Riverman1 03/14/12 - 09:35 am
I counted the blacks behind

I counted the blacks behind Peebles in the photo. About a third were black. I'm not sure if this was orchestrated or it means something. Tell me more about Sammie Silas.

double_standard
double_standard 03/14/12 - 10:14 am
Sias is retired military and

Sias is retired military and now doing hvac work. He's also the president of the sand ridge neighborhood association. He challenged Mason in the last election I think. He's a stand up guy and he takes good care of that community center out there.

Riverman1 03/14/12 - 10:18 am
Double Standard, is he going

Double Standard, is he going to run? Can you explain if he will run as a Democrat or Republican?

Austin Rhodes
Austin Rhodes 03/14/12 - 10:22 am
SIAS...is not related to

SIAS...is not related to SILAS.

JB is not, nor has he ever been, a cop. Even though he and Sammy Doolittle look like they were separated at birth. Webster was a Revenue Agent before he became Sheriff. Just like Roscoe. P. Coltrane. Same speech patterns to boot...

Riverman1 03/14/12 - 10:28 am
Who said JB was ever a cop?

Who said JB was ever a cop? That's not a requirement to run for sheriff. Yeah, we both know about Webster and all the connections.

Paine president resigns

George C. Bradley resigned as president of the embattled Paine College on Tuesday as the institution continues efforts to maintain its accreditation after several years of financial mismanagement ...