GOP debate in Georgia canceled

CNN cancels after Romney, Paul withdraw

ATLANTA — The head of Georgia’s Republican Party on Thursday said she will have to work hard to maintain grass-roots momentum among voters after most of the GOP presidential field pulled out of a scheduled debate in Atlanta ahead of Super Tuesday.

Party Chairwoman Sue Everhart said she was “very disappointed” after CNN announced it was canceling the March 1 debate when Mitt Romney and Ron Paul declined to participate. In a statement Thursday, she wished the candidates luck moving forward before issuing a warning.

“I trust that our party’s eventual nominee will not overlook Georgia’s two-million-plus Republican voters before the general election,” the statement reads.

Everhart said GOP voters in the state are “not going to be happy,” and this development could have an effect on enthusiasm in the weeks and months ahead.

“We’re a red state, but we barely squeaked through to beat (then-candidate Barack) Obama in 2008,” she said. “I was hoping to do a lot better this time. I’ve still got to keep my people energized.”

Romney spokeswoman Andrea Saul said the former Massachusetts governor “will be spending a lot of time campaigning in Georgia and Ohio” ahead of the March 6 presidential primary, when voters in nine states will cast ballots.

“With eight other states voting on March 6, we will be campaigning in other parts of the country and unable to schedule the CNN Georgia debate,” Saul said, noting that Romney has participated in 20 debates already.

Rick Santorum also signaled that he would not likely participate without all four candidates on the stage. Newt Gingrich, the former U.S. House speaker who hails from Georgia, was committed to participating.

“It’s an insult to the people of Georgia,” Gingrich spokesman R.C. Hammond said. “They’re saying ‘I’m good enough to vote for, but too good to come to your debate.’ ”

The turn of events seemed a setback for Georgia’s GOP. Everhart said she had been working on the debate for six months and was also coordinating other events to raise money for the state party.

Both Santorum and Gingrich will be campaigning in Georgia this weekend, and Romney headlined a rally in the state last week. Paul won a state Republican Party straw poll last summer.

IMAGE PROBLEM

WASHINGTON — Rick Santorum grew wealthy over his four years working as a corporate consultant and media commentator after leaving the Senate in 2006, his newly released federal tax returns show. He made more than $3.6 million and drove an Audi luxury sedan.

Santorum, 53, has presented himself as a social conservative and a Washington outsider. The former senator’s tax returns, released Wednesday night, show that his annual adjusted gross income surged from nearly $660,000 in 2007 to $1.1 million in 2009.

– Associated Press

fedex227
fedex227 02/16/12 - 11:25 pm
Wow, what a snub - as a

Wow, what a snub - as a registered republican voter I'm amazed that the candidates have dismissed the entire state of Georgia. - good luck in the general election GOP candidate, whoever you are. I just wish that I had the chance to be a part of the process and make my voice heard as far as who I though who would be the most alternative candidate to Barak Obama - it almost wants me to vote Democrat - which I might.

Jake
Jake 02/16/12 - 11:35 pm
Funny stuff. The GOP in

Funny stuff. The GOP in Georgia is joke! I hope this comedy show of the GOP primaries keeps up because it is laughable. I can't wait to see what comes next. I can't keep up with the casualties that this joke of a party has come up with so far. I hear that Gumby is going to throw his hat into the ring. He is going to be the "flexible" candidate. Good luck in November!

allhans
allhans 02/16/12 - 11:32 pm
Somebody finally got smart.

Somebody finally got smart. Why let CNN bait you in an attempt to boost their low ratings...

Willow Bailey
20579
Willow Bailey 02/16/12 - 11:34 pm
Dem's won't be laughing

Dem's won't be laughing long, Jake, if they get what they are asking for. You can file this one away for future reference.

Jake
Jake 02/16/12 - 11:39 pm
WB, Seriously, your candidate

WB, Seriously, your candidate is Romney. He is your only hope and even within his party he is not liked. Good luck!

KSL
119036
KSL 02/16/12 - 11:43 pm
Jake, we have known each

Jake, we have known each other for a number of years, but I'm not feeling like I really know you right now. Maybe you have spent too much time out of the area you were reared in. Maybe there are other reasons I won't bring up. I love you, but you and I will just have to agree to disagree. Call me if you want details.

KSL
119036
KSL 02/16/12 - 11:44 pm
Jake, do you really want

Jake, do you really want Obama to be re-elected? His policies are going to kill us.

Jake
Jake 02/17/12 - 12:17 am
KSL, I was reared in

KSL, I was reared in Washington state, Germany and France when the old man was in the Army before I was brought to Georgia in the late 50's to live. I went to school with blacks before I was in the South and thought nothing of it, it was normal to me. Then I moved to the segregated South in 1958 when I was 8yrs old and saw what segregation was all about. I must admit I went with the flow because I was white but I did wonder why there were bathrooms and water fountains for whites and colored's. We all do the same bodily functions so I was guessing that their's was not as clean as ours? I have no idea what you are talking about "details". As far as spending "too much time out of the area" then you are right. I choose not to live in Georgia because I do not care for it. I am happy out here on the West Coast because, after all, that is where I was born in 1950. Georgia is a place I look forward to visit because of family and friends not because I like the climate and prevailing attitudes.
As far as Obama is concerned, I did not vote for him or for the GOP rendition of the same garbage (McCain/Palin - really strong ticket there). I will not vote for Obama or Romney either this time around. Both are in the same bed as far as I am concerned. If we withstood all the crap we have had to put up with since Eisenhower then we will withstand the current round of crap. Obama will not bring this country down, it has already been brought down, but folks like you, sad to say, still see the two party system as a viable way to proceed. Both parties are to blame so choose your poison.

KSL
119036
KSL 02/17/12 - 12:31 am
So you were not reared in my

So you were not reared in my South in Georgia. I was never exposed to racism when I was brought up. I grew up in the house that was built for my grandparents' cook. It was good enough for us. My first best friend was a young black girl hired to take care of me when I was about 2. Raciscm and separate drinking fountains was not anything I was exposed to. I guess it did exist and I'm glad it got over. But I demand not to be accused of something that was never part of my upbringing.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 02/17/12 - 12:38 am
Jake, I've lived in the South

Jake, I've lived in the South all of my life so don't have something to compare against. However, I've met a lot of people who've moved here from "the north" who say they never felt prejudiced until they moved here. I take that to mean that blacks in the north are culturally different than blacks in the south. After adulthood, I saw the same differences when I traveled on business to the west coast, Atlanta, Chicago, and New York. Not all mind you, but on the whole the education, speech, mannerisms, etc. were different. More mainstream if you will. It is the cultural differences that divide us, not skin color.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 02/17/12 - 12:46 am
{Image problem: Rick Santorum

{Image problem: Rick Santorum grew wealthy over his four years working as a corporate consultant and media commentator after leaving the Senate in 2006, his newly released federal tax returns show. He made more than $3.6 million and drove an Audi luxury sedan.}

Why is this an image problem? The man parlayed his career into a successful venture after politics, like virtually every other politician who has spent time in Washington. It is just part of their game.

I don't care for Santorum on a personal level, but this is a non-starter.

KSL
119036
KSL 02/17/12 - 01:03 am
On the other hand, I have had

On the other hand, I have had people who moved here from the north and people I encountered in the north have problems that were totally unknown to me. I was astonished.

Now, if you ask me if welfare moms who rear drug addicts paid for by baby daddies needing to be accepted by me. NO. I, as a Social Worker, have been long aware of the ability of teenage moms to rebel against parent, yes back then it was parents, though now it is not a 2 parent family in general, go for being on their own, pregnant and needing a household set up.In comes the government making that available, setting them up. Yet another voter for the Dems.

KSL
119036
KSL 02/17/12 - 01:25 am
I don't think the South is so

I don't think the South is so bad. I'm finding a lot of people who moved away from the south to advance their careers in what the deemed to be a better environment for them, years ago, who are now moving back "home" and are assured that they are indeed welcomed back, and they are. In my line of work, I've had the wonderful opportunity to work with them. I cannot begin to tell you the pleasure I have had working to bring these people back home.

Jake
Jake 02/17/12 - 10:21 am
I think that a big part of

I think that a big part of what I experienced as a child in a military family was a diversity of kids that also had dad's in the military, like us. I can recall in 1957 when we moved from Seattle to Waycross, listening to the news about Little Rock, Orvel Faubus(sp?), National Guard, etc, while gliding along the highway in the 1952 Green 2 Tone Pontiac. Mom had to explain to us how bad it was that kids of a different color could not go to the same school as the whites. This was just so foriegn to my experience as a kid that I immediately thought what a preposterous policy. Still believe it today.
itsanotherday1 !!!!!!!!

KSL
119036
KSL 02/17/12 - 02:16 am
Sounds like you missed out

Sounds like you missed out growing up in the South.

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/17/12 - 06:39 am
I wish we had more choices on

I wish we had more choices on the Rep. side.

TK3
TK3 02/17/12 - 08:45 am
SeenitB4 you have the only

SeenitB4 you have the only vet on the GOP ticket, Congressman Dr.Paul who also actually still-believes in the Constitution and Bill Of Rights and who has never voted to raise taxes nor reduce your liberties. Course the GOP has already decided the outcome of the Primary elections (as usual) and thus NOT surprised when GOP shorted Dr. Paul again but I was surprised they were so-obvious about it by admitting they were not even going to count all his votes in Maine.

Seems Paul can't win for losing even playing by the GOP House Rules especially when the House shill has the deck stacked with marked cards and the House candidate has ace$ up his sleeves.

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/17/12 - 08:49 am
TK3....I know what you're

TK3....I know what you're saying but imo....Money will put Romney in the slot......they don't really want him BUT no one else fits their bill.....we just "think' we are choosing .......we are sheep in more ways than one....
seeya later

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 02/17/12 - 03:24 pm
Jake, your military

Jake, your military experience is very common, as the military was one of the first institutions to desegregate. When you are under fire, it matters not if the guy covering your back is a purple polka dotted homosexual martian; he bleeds red just like everyone else and your lives are interdependent. THAT breaks down almost all barriers. Civilians living in the South had no such exposures.

Vogtle workforce hits 4,200

About 4,200 workers are employed at the Plant Vogtle expansion project where the first two reactors built in the U.S. in more than three decades are rising from the red clay.