South Carolina attorney general informs Justice Department of voter fraud

Saturday, Jan. 21, 2012 3:32 PM
Last updated 7:02 PM

COLUMBIA — South Carolina’s attorney general has notified the U.S. Justice Department of potential voter fraud.

Attorney General Alan Wilson sent details of an analysis by the Department of Motor Vehicles to U.S. Attorney Bill Nettles.

In a letter dated Thursday, Wilson says the analysis found 953 ballots cast by voters listed as dead. In 71 percent of those cases, ballots were cast between two months and 76 months after the people died. That means they “voted” up to 6 1/3 years after their death.

The letter doesn’t say in which elections the ballots were cast.

The analysis came out of research for the state’s new voter identification law. The U.S. Justice Department denied clearance of that law.

Wilson told Nettles he asked the State Law Enforcement Division to investigate.

eb97
eb97 01/21/12 - 03:52 pm
I think this is wonderful. We

I think this is wonderful. We should all have to show a picture I.D. to vote just to be sure we are not dead. We have to show one for everything else and voting in a new president is just as important as anything else.

Conservative Man
Conservative Man 01/21/12 - 04:05 pm
Get ready for those on the

Get ready for those on the other side of this issue though...They'll say "953 ballots out of the thosands cast? That's nothing compared to those who will be "disenfranchised" due to having to get then show an ID."
To them..I'd turn it around and say...if even ONE false vote is stopped then it would be worth it. Which is the argument the left uses when they wish to implement a government solution for any pet issue they have...Remember ID's in SC are virtually free and the taxpayers even subsidize the vans that will pick you up to go get one....Sheesh!

Insider Information
Insider Information 01/21/12 - 04:37 pm
Democrats will see these

Democrats will see these numbers and wonder what happened. How could all of their voter drives at the county morgue have turned up so few votes?

proudgunowner
proudgunowner 01/21/12 - 04:47 pm
Why is it not reported which

Why is it not reported which elections were involved or which political party was involved? Let me guess.....It was the 2008 Presidential election and those votes were cast for Barry. No surprise here.

happychimer
19396
happychimer 01/21/12 - 05:05 pm
And repubs don't have any

And repubs don't have any voter fraud? Gimme a break!

Truth Matters
Truth Matters 01/21/12 - 06:50 pm
Maybe the same people who ran

Maybe the same people who ran the Iowa Caucus are running South Carolina's elections!

If only the right had cared about voter fraud during the 2000 election. Then they urged Gore to take the high road and accept the results, hanging chads and all.

Conservative Man
Conservative Man 01/21/12 - 07:26 pm
I'm not saying the left has a

I'm not saying the left has a lock on voter fraud. It probably happens on both sides. It's just that ONE side always barks when ever anyone mentions ensuring it doesn't happen at all. And it's not the Repubs...Do the "math" on that one...

happychimer
19396
happychimer 01/21/12 - 07:44 pm
One side barks? Everyone

One side barks? Everyone should bark about voter fraud. Voter fraud is wrong not matter what side you are on.

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 01/21/12 - 07:47 pm
lefties have NO conscience.

lefties have NO conscience. slick willie, the slimeball adulterer, liar and probably thief, is revered while the morons cast stones against the people trying to save this country that is being raped by obama and co-conspirators.

KSL
KSL 01/21/12 - 07:50 pm
I would love to see the

I would love to see the evidence of Republican voter fraud.

happychimer
19396
happychimer 01/21/12 - 07:58 pm
KSL I would love to get rid

KSL I would love to get rid of voter fraud. It's both sides. Some democrats say it's all repubs, and repubs say its all democrats. nope it's both

KSL
KSL 01/21/12 - 07:58 pm
I went to vote today. For

I went to vote today. For years I've used my driver's license. I recently came across my voter registration card issued in 1974. Had my weight way off. I thought the black lady signing me in wasn't going go let me vote.

KSL
KSL 01/21/12 - 08:02 pm
Never heard of widespread

Never heard of widespread Republic voter fraud.

Conservative Man
Conservative Man 01/21/12 - 08:05 pm
To clarify....it's ALWAYS the

To clarify....it's ALWAYS the Democratic Party that does everything it can to stop voter ID legislation.

KSL
KSL 01/21/12 - 08:09 pm
Right, and intimidating new

Right, and intimidating new black panthers get a free pass!

Haki
Haki 01/21/12 - 08:12 pm
With the disfunction in the

With the disfunction in the GOP, they would need these dead votes.

KSL
KSL 01/21/12 - 08:17 pm
Oh,gee.The dems are so above

Oh,gee.The dems are so above reproach. Our current pres is so proud of his records he has sealed all of them. What the heck is he hidiing?

Willow Bailey
20603
Willow Bailey 01/21/12 - 08:37 pm
Agreed, Conservative Man on

Agreed, Conservative Man on your 7:26.

happychimer
19396
happychimer 01/21/12 - 08:39 pm
In Ga the ID has to be a

In Ga the ID has to be a state or federal government ID with a photo. I can't use a voter registration card. I can use my drivers license or my passport.

Willow Bailey
20603
Willow Bailey 01/21/12 - 08:40 pm
KSL, that transparency thing

KSL, that transparency thing was a real hoot. Wonder if he'll try to use it again.

KSL
KSL 01/21/12 - 08:43 pm
I got to use a funky green

I got to use a funky green card with no picture ID. Wrong, wrong wrong!

KSL
KSL 01/21/12 - 08:45 pm
He might just be arrogant

He might just be arrogant enough to try.

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 01/21/12 - 08:47 pm
Nothing new here, voter fraud

Nothing new here, voter fraud happens in every state. As long as there are dishonest people, there will be voter fraud!

STAMP OUT DISHONESTY!

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 01/21/12 - 08:51 pm
KSL says; “Oh,gee.The dems

KSL says; “Oh,gee.The dems are so above reproach. Our current pres is so proud of his records he has sealed all of them. What the heck is he hiding?”

CRITICAL ISSUE; What if....what if the cancellation of the oil pipeline was a Military move to further weaken our nation? In one fell swoop, the Prez wiped out millions in income, tens of thousands of jobs, and a strengthening of our economy! Who is he President of, Palestine?

bjphysics
bjphysics 01/21/12 - 08:55 pm
“The letter doesn’t say in

“The letter doesn’t say in which elections the ballots were cast.”

And the story doesn’t provide a link to the letter so we can ascertain whether these were in person voters or absentee ballots.

Probably another rightwing “poodle in the microwave” story.

KSL
KSL 01/21/12 - 08:57 pm
Every move he has made is to

Every move he has made is to weaken a nation he detests.

KSL
KSL 01/21/12 - 09:00 pm
BJ,there have been plenty of

BJ,there have been plenty of documented stories.

bjphysics
bjphysics 01/21/12 - 09:01 pm
“New court filing reveals how

“New court filing reveals how the 2004 Ohio presidential election was hacked"

"A new filing in the King Lincoln Bronzeville v. Blackwell case includes a copy of the Ohio Secretary of State election production system configuration that was in use in Ohio's 2004 presidential election when there was a sudden and unexpected shift in votes for George W. Bush.”

augusta citizen
augusta citizen 01/21/12 - 09:01 pm
And agree on Conservative

And agree on Conservative Man's 7:26 post too.

KSL
KSL 01/21/12 - 09:06 pm
BJ,do you honestly think a

BJ,do you honestly think a Republican voter cheat would cast a vote as Mickey Mouse?

Local merchants welcome Small Business Saturday

With having to compete with e-commerce and national retailers during the holiday season, local merchants welcome the spotlight that comes with Small Business Saturday.