Poll: Romney pulling away

Zach Boyden-Holmes/Staff
Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney campaigned at the University of South Carolina Aiken on Friday.

ATLANTA -- Mitt Romney is pulling away from the rest of the pack in South Carolina’s Republican presidential primary with a double-digit lead in a poll conducted Sunday.

Romney’s 32 percent puts 11 points between him and Newt Gingrich’s second-place of 21. Ron Paul and Rick Santorum share third with 14 and 13 points respectively.

The bottom tier includes Jon Huntsman with 6 and Rick Perry with 5.

The survey for Newsmax online and made exclusive to the Augusta Chronicle and the Savannah Morning News came as news was just circulating that Jon Huntsman planned to withdraw Monday and endorse Romney.

The poll was conducted Sunday evening by InsiderAdvantage/Majority Opinion Research. It included responses by telephone from 720 registered voters who said they were likely to vote in Saturday’s Republican primary. Its margin of error is 3.8 percent.

In a similar poll for the newspapers conducted Wednesday, Romney and Gingrich were essentially tied for first when the margin of error is included. Tied for second place, effectively, in that poll were Paul and Santorum.

The only candidate to gain ground between the two polls is Romney as half of the undecided voters made up their minds.

His victory is practically assured unless more candidates drop out and their support goes to Gingrich, according to pollster Matt Towery, CEO of InsiderAdvantage.

“This does put pressure on Santorum and Perry to decide where they stand,” he said.

Sunday night’s survey came on the heels of a two-day conference by Christian conservatives where they decided to rally around Santorum as their “stop Mitt” candidate. Their goal is to convince conservative primary voters who oppose Romney to support one candidate instead of dividing among the five other candidates.

“If people were going to get any instructions at church, it didn’t show up in this poll,” Towery said.

By the numbers
Mitt Romney32
Newt Gingrich21
Ron Paul14
Rick Santorum13
Jon Huntsman6
Rick Perry5
Undecided7
Someone else2
crackerjack
crackerjack 01/16/12 - 05:56 am
Wait till the word gets out

Wait till the word gets out that Mitt (Fee-Fee) A name given to him by voters in Massachusetts. Because of not increasing taxes, but raising fees up to 10 times what they were. Such as marriage licenses, handicap placards, etc. Then he has put an annual fee of $100.00 for every gun that you own. That also lets the Government know who has the guns and how many. Of course the criminals won't be paying these same fees. I wonder how many gun owners will like paying these fees.

AGR354
AGR354 01/16/12 - 08:20 am
Nobody asked me. I would

Nobody asked me. I would vote for a Southern Democrat before I would vote for a Northern Republican. A Southern Liberal is more conservative than a Northern Republican. Also what percent of voters don't respond to surveys?

allhans
allhans 01/16/12 - 09:03 am
I don't think a southern

I don't think a southern liberal is in the running so you don't have that choice.
Can a president raise fees in your state? Sounds kind of far-fetched. Congress would have to approve...Even a lowly governor would have a problem going it alone.

rmwardsr
rmwardsr 01/16/12 - 09:03 am
I was watching a forum on

I was watching a forum on black voters on Saturday night on C-Span, and they are very disappointed in Obama. But they said they will vote for him again to give him one more chance to become a great president. That is why we are not treating thet termites we have in our house right now, we are waiting for them to eat off that back deck, but hope they do not damage the rest of the house. Yeah, right!

allhans
allhans 01/16/12 - 09:10 am
I watched a portion of that.

I watched a portion of that. The guy with the Afro is not a happy camper. I never knew what Suzy was doing there. Did the program have any thing to do with gays?

my.voice
my.voice 01/16/12 - 11:07 am
I have a very simplistic view

I have a very simplistic view of things, but I feel that the national press are making the choice for the nomination. They push the candidate they want into position, and torpedo the others. Obama is going to be re-elected; the voting system in our country is a farce. The press (democrats), and the judicial branch are now running this country.

And this "Occupy" movement is more of the same from the national press. What they call "equalization" is socialism or worse. We have raised 4 generations on welfare, and while the "rich" may not pay an equivalent tax share, they are what make the economy run. If you want your "share", then get off your butt and get to work. You have the freedom to do anything you want, period. The Occupy movement shows just how dangerous our press is. Follow the money.

formerlawman1217
formerlawman1217 01/16/12 - 03:21 pm
rmwardsr, i agree with you

rmwardsr, i agree with you about the termites. lol

tckr1983
tckr1983 01/16/12 - 05:24 pm
Romney looked like a used car

Romney looked like a used car salesman in 2008 and still does to me in 2012... how is this the best that the Republicans could come up with after 3 years of positioning for the 2012 elections?

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 01/16/12 - 06:36 pm
Romney is not perfect, tckr,

Romney is not perfect, tckr, but he is far and away better than the others who stepped up to the plate.

Philosophically and intellectually I like Ron Paul.

For a fresh face, I liked Michelle Bachman.

But Romney is solid and can take on Obama in a race that will spare no mud from being slung from the Democrats. Romney is the one to beat Obama.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 01/16/12 - 06:40 pm
AGR354 wrote: Nobody asked

AGR354 wrote:

Do you consider Barak Obama a Southern Democrat? After all, he was born in Kenya and he is a member of the Democrat party. Is Kenya (or Hawaii for that matter) far enough south for you?

tckr1983
tckr1983 01/16/12 - 06:56 pm
LL - Really? So after Romney

LL -

Really? So after Romney has won... you don't think the Democrats will jump all over the fact that his universal healthcare plan in Massachusetts... was the model that President Barack Obama and his team followed? That won't be brought up at all?

He's flip-flopped on a few issues as well... they all have for the most part. I'm just saying that after 3 years there hasn't been anyone to emerge as THE candidate from the get-go, leaving no doubt as to a Republican would be back in the White House. It's been an up and down roller coaster ride with subsequent candidates because no one REALLY wants Mitt Romney... he's the vanilla flavor of the bunch and everyone keeps moping back to him after the initial excitement wears off of any of the other "quick to rise, quick to fall" campaigns.

The media is picking the guy for us... simply put, there's a reason that he's the only one not catching flack! I don't think Mitt Romney is going to do what needs to be done with Government... and that is... infinitely reduce it.

No more excited about Romney as I was John "the Maverick" McCain...

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 01/16/12 - 07:17 pm
Hey, I'm 100% with you on

Hey, I'm 100% with you on John McCain. I voted against him in the primary in 2008. I was disgusted with Republicans who nominated him, so I voted against him in the general election in 2008.

storiesihaveread
storiesihaveread 01/16/12 - 07:50 pm
Just what we need another

Just what we need another millionaire that might be the next president. We need somebody in that office that knows how the working people living paycheck to paycheck feel. I bet he does not even know what the price of gas or how much a gallon of milk cost. Looks like I am not voting if my choices will be Romney or Obama. Either way the working class that support this country will get screwed in the end.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 01/16/12 - 08:06 pm
Well, Stories, you could

Well, Stories, you could always vote for the Libertarian Party candidate in November. That option will be on the ballot in most states.

High court rules in probation case

Georgia's Supreme Court issued a unanimous decision concluding that it is legal for local courts to contract with private companies to supervise offenders on probation for minor violations.