Recount request denied in Thomson mayor race

THOMSON – The McDuffie County Election Board on Monday denied a recount request from Thomson mayoral candidate Delmar “Brink” Bradshaw.

The board also certified the re-election of Mayor Kenneth Usry.

Board Chairman Bill Beckham said five provisional ballots that were not included in the original total were upheld and counted after the board met Friday. Of those votes, three were for Usry and two were for Bradshaw. That brought the total to 597 for Usry, 579 for Bradshaw.

Elections director Kelvin Williams said because the margin was greater than 1 percent, the board was not obligated to conduct a recount. Williams determined the margin was 1.53 percent of the vote.

Williams also notified the board that an action has been filed in McDuffie County Superior Court contesting the results of the election.

Bradshaw confirmed to The Chronicle that he had filed that lawsuit.

rmwardsr
rmwardsr 11/14/11 - 08:30 pm
You dummie, the McDuffie

You dummie, the McDuffie Mafia is alive and well. Anytime a public official can override the police, and not be called on the carpet about it, he has someone bigger than him backing him. ( And I don't mean Jesus!)

ricky6739
ricky6739 11/14/11 - 09:55 pm
ummm, and just how much is

ummm, and just how much is all this back and forth costing our cash- strapped county? probably more than the part-time position pays in a year.. looks like to me majority the citizens have spoken, sounds like someone doesn't want to be defeated

Asitisinaug
Asitisinaug 11/15/11 - 05:03 am
Ricky, I am sure the $100.00

Ricky, I am sure the $100.00 or less that it would count to re-count a total of less than 1,200 votes would be the very smart thing to do. If you were running for office and the vote was that close, you would most likely ask for a re-count as well - anyone with common sense would.

As for the board of elections Chairman, he should be ashamed - it is pathetic not to simply oblige the re-count (which will probably be required by some court eventually) and put the election behind us.

This Mayor's interference with law enforcement is absurd as frankly, he should have been arrested - but, that is local politics.

nothin2show4it
nothin2show4it 11/15/11 - 05:16 am
Sure it would cost more that

Sure it would cost more that $100.00. They'd have to count at least 3 more times to get two of them to match each other.

getalife
getalife 11/15/11 - 07:00 am
Good ole boy politics at its

Good ole boy politics at its finest.

ricky6739
ricky6739 11/15/11 - 10:14 am
Asitisinaug, I guess the

Asitisinaug, I guess the question is has a recount ever changed the results of an election? maybe in the hand counting age of things, but as far as I have followed elections and recounts in recent I have never heard of a victory as the result of a recount.

And that $100.00, which I am sure a recount cost more than that, can just be taken off my taxes if nothing else.

If I ran for something and lost, I would take it as just that a lost.

Looks like more voters in the good ole boy network than not.

nothin2show4it
nothin2show4it 11/15/11 - 10:44 am
Ricky, Try Al Franken.

Ricky, Try Al Franken.

ricky6739
ricky6739 11/15/11 - 11:11 am
nothin2show4it, I was

nothin2show4it, I was speaking of Georgia recounts, MN uses a different voting system and procedure I am sure

Taylor B
Taylor B 11/15/11 - 11:14 am
2 votes? Ooooh! That has got

2 votes? Ooooh! That has got to sting!

Storm brings heavy rain, property damage reported

The National Weather Service in Columbia says the threat of severe weather has left the Augusta area, but not before leaving behind some property damage Sunday.