Cain leads South Carolina Republican primary race

ATLANTA — Herman Cain holds a decisive lead in the South Carolina Republican primary, according to a survey conducted Sunday for The Augusta Chronicle.

Back | Next
Republican presidential candidate Herman Cain speaks with the media after an interview on NBC's Meet the Press at NBC studio in Washington on Sunday, Oct. 16, 2011.  Jose Luis Magana/Associated Press
Jose Luis Magana/Associated Press

The Insider-Advantage/Majority Opinion Research poll of 476 registered voters likely to vote in the GOP primary gave Cain 32 percent of the vote, twice the share of Mitt Romney’s 16 percent.

Rick Perry holds 12 percent, making him essentially tied with Romney because the difference is within the 5 percent margin of error.

"In this case, South Carolina is a three-man race," said InsiderAdvantage CEO Matt Towery.

Rounding out the field is Newt Gingrich with 8 percent, Ron Paul and Michele Bachmann each with 6 and Jon Huntsman with 1. Four percent of those surveyed favored someone not listed in the choices, and 15 percent remain undecided.

Cain, a native of Georgia who once headed a pizza chain before becoming a talk-radio host, was the pick of every age group except seniors who prefer Romney, the former Massachusetts governor.

Where Romney appeals to independents, Cain does best with those identifying as Republicans.

Towery's poll Oct. 4 was the first to show Cain edging past Romney to gain the lead nationally as Perry lost ground.

Perry, the governor of Texas, harmed himself with a response to a cable-TV debate question about immigration where he said people who disagreed were heartless. He was defending signing into law in-state tuition discounts for college students who immigrated illegally as young children.

The response was especially stark in Florida where Towery conducted a survey for The Florida Times-Union, also Sunday evening, showing Perry with just 3 percent while Romney and Cain were essentially tied for the lead.

The steady turnover in the GOP lead nationally has led pundits to describe Cain as merely the "flavor of the month."

Towery credits Cain with more staying power.

"I've seen the flavor of the month almost every time. But he is sustaining himself," he said. "I think he's a little more than the flavor of the month."

Unless he stumbles, Cain has sufficient strength in enough states to be a contender as long as his newfound status in the top tier brings cash he'll need to advertise in large states like Florida with multiple media markets, Towery said.

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 10/17/11 - 04:59 am
Last time I checked, more

Last time I checked, more than double the nearest person makes it a one man race. even if you split evenly the 15% of undecided (and that never happens, they break 2 to one for the front runner) Cain still wins by at least the margin or error

Cain is surging, too bad it is far too early, these numbers would be amazing two weeks before the primary.

I still think Cain will not be the nominee, but he is making tracks and the others will need to follow him.

Dixieman
Dixieman 10/17/11 - 05:58 am
And yet, we Republicans are

And yet, we Republicans are racist to the core...Just goes to show we are NOT!!!

augusta citizen
augusta citizen 10/17/11 - 06:06 am
I think there are many people

I think there are many people who are so tired of career politicians, that a successful business person is a breath of fresh air. I'm not surprised that Mr. Cain is doing so well.

Insider Information
Insider Information 10/17/11 - 06:24 am
Key Cain staffers have quit,

Key Cain staffers have quit, he trails greatly in money raised and his name recognition is near the bottom.

Despite all of this, he is still doing this well. His poll numbers can only go up.

This country is ready for a leader, not a politician.

ADAMS
ADAMS 10/17/11 - 07:06 am
This guy Herman Cain,is the

This guy Herman Cain,is the best of a bad situation. The news media hype want last, Cain will be delivering President Obama boxes of pizza after 2012 election.

Riverman1
Riverman1 10/17/11 - 07:49 am
Augusta Chronicle, let's do

Augusta Chronicle, let's do our part and get completely on board the Cain train. How's bout it?

southernguy08
southernguy08 10/17/11 - 08:27 am
Hey ADAMS, seen the polls

Hey ADAMS, seen the polls lately? Obama might be getting pizza delivered after the 2012 election, but he won't be president, and probably will be working for his buddy Rahm Emmanuel in Chicago. Just calls em as I sees em.

onlysane1left
onlysane1left 10/17/11 - 09:20 am
All of you people who are in

All of you people who are in Cain's corner, hopefully, you all looked at Meet The Press yesterday, and saw how he dodged certain questions based on his signature ticket, the "9-9-9" plan. He never answered what would happen to state taxes currently being deducted, nor did he answer about state sales taxes going away. He did talk about how prices would suddenly drop due to the "embedded" taxes in goods, yet, that is a producers preference to drop those prices. Think about all of these items before you jump on the Cain train.

Personally, I don't see states dropping their revenue stream because the federal government has done away with the IRS, in which he would need permission from a unifed Congress to do that. I really don't see myself making more money by voting for that.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 10/17/11 - 09:35 am
No candidate is perfect, and

No candidate is perfect, and OnlySaneOne tells us to beware of Herman Cain. But OnlySaneOne never mentions a better alternative candidate. Picking nominees is picking lesser of evils. I think the strongest candidate is Romney; but Cain is still pretty strong and attractive. I think I would rate Cain as second-best in the field.

The poison dart in the group is Gingrich. That puppy has had his day. If the Republicans nominate another fossil with a trophy wife, then they have a death wish. Stay away from Gingrich, everybody.

Perry is not presidential material, and he's withering under the glare of his underachievements.

Formerly Shivas
Formerly Shivas 10/17/11 - 09:40 am
Right Dixie, now everyine can

Right Dixie, now everyine can take back those bad comments 3 years ago that black people voted for Obama only because he was black.

faithson
faithson 10/17/11 - 10:00 am
Cain is a glorified talk show

Cain is a glorified talk show host. He as with all these 'talkin heads' expresses a point of view the people WANT to hear. The actual implementation of which is 'pie in the sky'. Personally I think Huntsman is your man if you really want the white house.

allhans
allhans 10/17/11 - 10:02 am
I like the fact that his

I like the fact that his 9-9-9 plan doesn't charge the 9% sales tax on used goods, but I for one, am not in the habit of buying used food, medication or if I need a new mattress set orm sofa I would never consider a used one. I am sure that Cain buys lots of used goods or he would not be pushing his plan.
He tried to backtrack on the electric fence and a couple of other "promises" yesterday on Meet the Press and sounded like all the others to me.
I don't have to do as so many others have done and vote by race to prove I'm not racist, because sometimes I am. I have been known to criticize a business hiring Latino workers.
I try, but it is hard to be sinless all the time.

allhans
allhans 10/17/11 - 10:08 am
Thankfully, we Republicans

Thankfully, we Republicans have a few months left before th primary and my mind could be changed. I have no idea which candidate I would vote for - if it was held today probably Romney (In 2008 I would did not vote for Romney), but I am a flip-flopper so who knows?

southernguy08
southernguy08 10/17/11 - 10:44 am
Funny how people are writing

Funny how people are writing off Rick Perry when we haven't had a single state primary yet. Save your poison for a REAL target people. Otherwise, you just sound ridiculous!

onlysane1left
onlysane1left 10/17/11 - 12:02 pm
I do not endose anyone. All

I do not endose anyone. All of it, is the lesser of evils. I just put out a couple of facts that people need to consider when it comes to Cain. The promise of lower costs on goods is something I have yet to see in my lifetime. The prices of goods never go down, and like allhans said I am not in the market for used food, clothes, utilities, so my bottom like goes up substantially under his 9-9-9 plan. If people are not out buying goods, the economy stays in recession. If wages on the majority of Americans go up slightly (due to a 9% federal tax, the repeal of FICA, and state payroll deduced taxes,) and the common person's budget goes up (a new 9% tax on anything they buy new), how will this stimulate anything? The math just doesn't seem right.

In my personal opinion, Cain is the anti-Obama. Pro-Business, less government, more freedom, but these things come at a cost and what Herman Cain don't realize there a more poor or people very close to being poor than there are people who will not be affected negatively by his plan. Seems like politicians, as well as laypeople, forget who they step on to get to the top. Herman Cain seems to be one of those types. The man has a strong contempt for the poor, when most of them are just trying to survive like the rest of us.

Lastly, I am not totally against voting for Cain, nor am I saying no one should vote for him, what I am saying is look beneath the fluff and hype; Obama, Romney, Cain, Perrry are saying a lot but nothing they plan on doing is going to make a real big difference in the way the country is run and get the wheels going forward. I did like what Cain said yesterday, the misinformation being put out by is killing the forward progress in this country with partisanship.

The grandstanding by all the candidates is making this election so hard to deal with.

allhans
allhans 10/17/11 - 01:10 pm
Cain did not impress me on

Cain did not impress me on Meet the Press. I might look for the video and take another look, perhaps I got it all wrong. I just don't know.
An electric fence to kill people trying to cross it, more troops in Iraq...sorry!!

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 10/17/11 - 01:12 pm
Come on now, the "electrified

Come on now, the "electrified fence" was just a joke. Cain has said that America needs to regain its sense of humor and not be so politically correct.

onlysane1left
onlysane1left 10/17/11 - 03:03 pm
Nice link, physics. I did the

Nice link, physics. I did the math and it does add up to what they say in the article. Tax credit for your home, gone, tax credit for daycare, gone, tax credit for health expenses, gone. Price of general goods and services up by 9%! That plan helps everyone but average joes.....

allhans
allhans 10/17/11 - 03:12 pm
THIS quote is from ABC News.

"...Cain's economic ideas, support and organization have close ties to two billionaire brothers (Koch) who bankroll right-leaning causes through their group Americans for Prosperity."

justthefacts
justthefacts 10/17/11 - 03:20 pm
bj, that is a bit misleading.

bj, that is a bit misleading. I know you realize that. You're a pretty smart cookie. Surprised you posted it without comment.

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/17/11 - 03:22 pm
I read that too allhans on

I read that too allhans on aol news....

Needs some checking..

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/17/11 - 03:24 pm
The real problem with

The real problem with 9-9-9....how long would it take for them to change to 12-12-12..or 15-15-15...etc.

bjphysics
bjphysics 10/17/11 - 03:29 pm
Allhans: “THIS quote is from

Allhans: “THIS quote is from ABC News. Could someone tell me if it is true and why it might matter?”

It does not matter; ultimately all Republican candidates are going to be influenced by the Kochtopus because it has deep pockets. It’s no different than the Obama being influenced by Bill Gates, Warren Buffet, and Soros. They all have billionaire sugardaddys.

bjphysics
bjphysics 10/17/11 - 03:31 pm
Justthefacts: “…that is a bit

Justthefacts: “…that is a bit misleading.”

Elaborate please.

burninater
burninater 10/17/11 - 03:33 pm
The idea that prices will

The idea that prices will drop when built-in taxes are removed was put to the test in at least one industry this summer. During the period that Congress left the FAA unfunded, airlines were not required to charge FAA-related taxes. They IMMEDIATELY boosted their fares to match the "taxed" prices. Granted, this doesn't mean that this will necessarily continue over the long term, but it certainly telegraphs an intent. Similarly, if we lower income taxes ... Do you REALLY think wages will remain at their current levels, and that your income tax savings will go straight into your pocket? Employers know your real salary is your post-tax income -- why will they pay you more to do the same job? I GUARANTEE that lowering income tax rates will in the medium and long term produce wage deflation in the labor market, and surprise surprise, that surplus income tax revenue will go into the pockets of our wealthiest citizens, yet again at the expense of seniors, children, the military, infrastructure, etc.

justthefacts
justthefacts 10/17/11 - 03:35 pm
"Americans will end up paying

"Americans will end up paying all three of those taxes, for a combined tax rate of 27 percent of their income." That's one.

justthefacts
justthefacts 10/17/11 - 03:37 pm
Let's see, do I want to take

Let's see, do I want to take financial advice from the Koch Brothers or a bunch of whiny politicians??? Hmm. Tough one.

burninater
burninater 10/17/11 - 03:44 pm
Ah but jtf, the Koch Bros.

Ah but jtf, the Koch Bros. money didn't come from a magic wallet sewn by elves and sprites. It came from people spending money they earned. If they can tweak the tax code, they can get us earners to pay even more of the taxes, and they can bypass the selling us a service part of taking our money away entirely! Win-win-lose ... And guess which side of that equation you and me are on?

bjphysics
bjphysics 10/17/11 - 03:45 pm
Inside the Cain Tax Plan [By

Inside the Cain Tax Plan [By BRUCE BARTLETT*]

“Thus the Cain plan would increase the budget deficit without doing anything to stimulate demand, because rich people can already spend as much as they want and are unlikely to spend more even if their taxes are abolished.

The poor and the middle class might increase their spending if they could keep more of their earnings, but they will unquestionably pay more under Phase 2 of the Cain plan. With no tax on capital gains, the rich would pay almost nothing, while elimination of all deductions and credits, as well as imposition of a national sales tax, must necessarily raise taxes on everyone else, especially those not now paying income taxes.

At a minimum, the Cain plan is a distributional monstrosity. The poor would pay more while the rich would have their taxes cut, with no guarantee that economic growth will increase and good reason to believe that the budget deficit will increase.

Even allowing for the poorly thought through promises routinely made on the campaign trail, Mr. Cain’s tax plan stands out as exceptionally ill conceived.”

*Bruce Bartlett held senior policy roles in the Reagan and George H.W. Bush administrations and served on the staffs of Representatives Jack Kemp and Ron Paul.

Search of alleged dealer's home found drugs, firearms