Curtis wins runoff

Eloise Curtis secured a fourth term representing District 2 on the Richmond County Board of Education, according to preliminary runoff results Tuesday night.

Curtis, 70, a retired schoolteacher, survived a low voter turnout in getting 289 votes. That was 70 more than those received by her opponent, businessman Charlie Hannah, 43.

The runoff was needed because Curtis captured 2,122 votes, or 47 percent, in a four-way race in the Nov. 2 general election. Hannah, who owns and operates Jazzy Shots Photography, came in second that day with 1,072 votes, or 23.7 percent.

In the general election, 4,516 votes were recorded in the District 2 race, which was a turnout of 45.7 percent. In the runoff, only 514 ballots were cast, a turnout of just 4.5 percent.

"Any time you have to go back that second time, the people don't go back," Curtis said. "Another thing is, the younger people are not voting. They just don't see it yet."

Curtis said she is delighted to return for a fourth term: "I'm happy I won and it's all over."

She said she hopes to encourage parents to be involved in their children's education, with the result that test scores will improve.

In statewide runoffs, Georgia Supreme Court Justice David Nahmias kept his post on the state's top court, while lawyer Chris McFadden pulled off a come-from-behind win for an open seat on the state Appeals Court.

Unofficial returns showed Nahmias winning 68 percent of the vote, compared with 32 percent for Lawrenceville lawyer Tammy Lynn Adkins with 92 percent of precincts reporting in the nonpartisan race.

Republican Gov. Sonny Perdue appointed Nahmias to the bench in 2009.

During the campaign, Nahmias, 46, touted his Republican credentials as a former clerk for U.S. Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia. He also served as a leading terrorism prosecutor in the U.S. Justice Department until President George W. Bush appointed him U.S. attorney in Atlanta in 2004.

McFadden, 53, garnered 63 percent of the vote, compared with 37 percent for Antoinette Davis, a 59-year-old lawyer from Marietta, with 92 percent of precincts reporting.

Associated Press reports were used in this article.

Taylor B
Taylor B 11/30/10 - 10:22 pm
UNBELIEVABLE! Hannah was the

UNBELIEVABLE! Hannah was the best choice hands down. The definition of insanity, people.

Mr. Hannah, I am so sorry for your loss tonight. I'm sure you are heartbroken as I was, but we both must keep fighting, even if on the outside. You ran a strong campaign, and impressed me with your depth of knowlege and care of the kids.

Next time, my friend, next time!

dani
dani 11/30/10 - 11:52 pm
Looks like voters are happy

Looks like voters are happy with the status quo.
Folks complain but does the same thing all over again.

bettyboop
bettyboop 12/01/10 - 06:14 am
amazing.... isn't it? And so

amazing.... isn't it? And so sad for the children.

C. Hannah
C. Hannah 12/01/10 - 06:40 am
@TB thanks a bunch my friend.

@TB thanks a bunch my friend. It is sad that the evidence has clearly established (during the entire general race and this run-off) that the citizens of our city speak volumes about what is wrong with our local government yet are people of no-action. The status-quo is complete now and within district two only 514(11,300+ registered voters) people should complain as our government train continues to head to a mountains end (no local race changed directions). This race was so much more than Charlie Hannah, it was about truely steering in a new direction for what is expectd of our children in the near future. This same expectation would have established our town as an educational town with fresh ideas, means and ways to be competitive globally. But, Miss. Curtis, understands how she won for a fourth term "the young just don't get it." I would like to take this time to thank all of my supporters, my hard-working campaign teenage soldiers and my family for stickingin there with me. Taylor, we must do lunch soon my friend. Call me.

C. Hannah
C. Hannah 12/01/10 - 09:21 am
@lifelongresident; thank you

@lifelongresident; thank you for your comments and you are right in your sayings. One issues that I have is the fact that bodies mean dollars. However, I believe an efficient school system would save funds and increase reserves when they are more involved with educating our children versus allowing 1-3% to cause chaos in our system (employees and students). There are many ways to deal with our issues, but I am going to hint at discipline just for this post; it serves better to be pro-active than reactive. What we spend on trying to turn-a-round some of our adult students we should be using to place structure, value and discipline in our elementary students. It is only a piece of a large pie, but a piece non the less. Myself, being a parent and mentor to several male teens understand that if we put forth the examples and demand discipline and accountability from them, the results will come. It is a long mission that more than one has to invest the time and effort into; I do believe we have a new school ceo that shares this value and I was wishful that I would have been able to help him turn our system into a world class system. Again, thanks and you be well.

edreformfan
edreformfan 12/01/10 - 12:06 pm
Curtis: "I will try to get

Curtis: "I will try to get them to really work with their teachers and work with their children so they can do better on the test," Curtis said. "That's a grave concern."
Does anyone else have a problem with simply "teaching to the test?" I applaud her promise to increase parental participation but I wonder how she will accomplish this feat?

C. Hannah
C. Hannah 12/01/10 - 02:45 pm
I hope some of you will

I hope some of you will agree, but the NCLB federal policy crippled some non-innovative leaders into forcing their staff to "teach to the test." This will only guarantee that we have a large group of diploma holders that passed the test but knows absolutely nothing about what this country really is in need of. Frankly, I believe that we should rethink our process from the fed down and begin teaching our children to master the basics and gradually move them into subject matters that will allow them to actually know the material they are being tested on. It is clear logic that a high school student that cannot comprehend basic literature and business math would be in shape to pass the exit exams and be competent in the world where Asian nations are not only our chief competitors but they're trying to wipe the entire board clean of any global competitors and yet we are teaching to a test. Just my opinion. I can remember my days at Laney and Richmond (graduate of Richmond HS) where I went into shop classes and the first thing I had to do was put on my overalls, 10 minute station set-up, start my project, end my project, clean my area. I actually was taught hands-on. That would hold true for any trade, technical and business program that we should be deploying for our studetns to be actually productive immediately after-school if not before. We have to do things differently if we are going to achieve different results.

C. Hannah
C. Hannah 12/01/10 - 06:56 pm
I can only hope that the new

I can only hope that the new super would be a major factor in improving our educational system. Failure to do so will have all of us saying "I wonder where our city would be now if only.........."

No_Longer_Amazed
No_Longer_Amazed 12/03/10 - 04:58 pm
For a couple of days I have

For a couple of days I have been trying to figure out who the photo reminds me of, and I have finally done it - Geraldine on The Flip Wilson Show.

chascush
chascush 12/04/10 - 08:48 pm
RC gets what it deserves. The

RC gets what it deserves. The citizens keep voting the same idiots back in office.