Curtis wins runoff

Eloise Curtis secured a fourth term representing District 2 on the Richmond County Board of Education, according to preliminary runoff results Tuesday night.

Curtis, 70, a retired schoolteacher, survived a low voter turnout in getting 289 votes. That was 70 more than those received by her opponent, businessman Charlie Hannah, 43.

The runoff was needed because Curtis captured 2,122 votes, or 47 percent, in a four-way race in the Nov. 2 general election. Hannah, who owns and operates Jazzy Shots Photography, came in second that day with 1,072 votes, or 23.7 percent.

In the general election, 4,516 votes were recorded in the District 2 race, which was a turnout of 45.7 percent. In the runoff, only 514 ballots were cast, a turnout of just 4.5 percent.

"Any time you have to go back that second time, the people don't go back," Curtis said. "Another thing is, the younger people are not voting. They just don't see it yet."

Curtis said she is delighted to return for a fourth term: "I'm happy I won and it's all over."

She said she hopes to encourage parents to be involved in their children's education, with the result that test scores will improve.

In statewide runoffs, Georgia Supreme Court Justice David Nahmias kept his post on the state's top court, while lawyer Chris McFadden pulled off a come-from-behind win for an open seat on the state Appeals Court.

Unofficial returns showed Nahmias winning 68 percent of the vote, compared with 32 percent for Lawrenceville lawyer Tammy Lynn Adkins with 92 percent of precincts reporting in the nonpartisan race.

Republican Gov. Sonny Perdue appointed Nahmias to the bench in 2009.

During the campaign, Nahmias, 46, touted his Republican credentials as a former clerk for U.S. Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia. He also served as a leading terrorism prosecutor in the U.S. Justice Department until President George W. Bush appointed him U.S. attorney in Atlanta in 2004.

McFadden, 53, garnered 63 percent of the vote, compared with 37 percent for Antoinette Davis, a 59-year-old lawyer from Marietta, with 92 percent of precincts reporting.

Associated Press reports were used in this article.

Taylor B
Taylor B 11/30/10 - 10:22 pm
UNBELIEVABLE! Hannah was the

UNBELIEVABLE! Hannah was the best choice hands down. The definition of insanity, people.

Mr. Hannah, I am so sorry for your loss tonight. I'm sure you are heartbroken as I was, but we both must keep fighting, even if on the outside. You ran a strong campaign, and impressed me with your depth of knowlege and care of the kids.

Next time, my friend, next time!

dani
dani 11/30/10 - 11:52 pm
Looks like voters are happy

Looks like voters are happy with the status quo.
Folks complain but does the same thing all over again.

bettyboop
bettyboop 12/01/10 - 06:14 am
amazing.... isn't it? And so

amazing.... isn't it? And so sad for the children.

C. Hannah
C. Hannah 12/01/10 - 06:40 am
@TB thanks a bunch my friend.

@TB thanks a bunch my friend. It is sad that the evidence has clearly established (during the entire general race and this run-off) that the citizens of our city speak volumes about what is wrong with our local government yet are people of no-action. The status-quo is complete now and within district two only 514(11,300+ registered voters) people should complain as our government train continues to head to a mountains end (no local race changed directions). This race was so much more than Charlie Hannah, it was about truely steering in a new direction for what is expectd of our children in the near future. This same expectation would have established our town as an educational town with fresh ideas, means and ways to be competitive globally. But, Miss. Curtis, understands how she won for a fourth term "the young just don't get it." I would like to take this time to thank all of my supporters, my hard-working campaign teenage soldiers and my family for stickingin there with me. Taylor, we must do lunch soon my friend. Call me.

lifelongresident
lifelongresident 12/01/10 - 09:05 am
mr. hannah i do not know you

mr. hannah i do not know you or ever met you but i am sorry that you lost. mr. hannah, it is my opinion not based on any inside information but by observation and results, it's all part of the rich cnty boe's business model, you sir as a businessman probably know that very well, better than I. in order to continue to receive the various grants and federal/state funding for the various ineffective, wasteful, costly and useless programs you need the same people in place to perpetuate it. if you would have won then you would have pushed for issues such as: parental involvement, student accountability, increased standards, student discipline and teacher safety, possibly along the lines of expelling all violent, disruptive, disrepectful students and clossing all non-essential schools or eliminating all non-essential programs/activities, this sir in turn would have reduced the student population even further in a school district that is already suffering from declining enrollment but heavily depends on maintaining current attendance levels to continue to receive the current state/federal education funding that is based on attendance, not academic achievement, where as you sir would rather have a decrease in funding due to decreased attendance, if it would mean a higher level of academic perfomance and some if not all of the traditional high schools would meet ayp. whereas the current incumbents could care less about meeting ayp because in there minds poor academic performance or failure to meet ayp translates into more grants/funding i. e. qualifying for and receiving "race to the top" or as i call it "knucklehead"(...oooops sorry) funding. good luck to you sir, godspeed and i hope you decide to run again....

C. Hannah
C. Hannah 12/01/10 - 09:21 am
@lifelongresident; thank you

@lifelongresident; thank you for your comments and you are right in your sayings. One issues that I have is the fact that bodies mean dollars. However, I believe an efficient school system would save funds and increase reserves when they are more involved with educating our children versus allowing 1-3% to cause chaos in our system (employees and students). There are many ways to deal with our issues, but I am going to hint at discipline just for this post; it serves better to be pro-active than reactive. What we spend on trying to turn-a-round some of our adult students we should be using to place structure, value and discipline in our elementary students. It is only a piece of a large pie, but a piece non the less. Myself, being a parent and mentor to several male teens understand that if we put forth the examples and demand discipline and accountability from them, the results will come. It is a long mission that more than one has to invest the time and effort into; I do believe we have a new school ceo that shares this value and I was wishful that I would have been able to help him turn our system into a world class system. Again, thanks and you be well.

dichotomy
dichotomy 12/01/10 - 10:51 am
The voters in District 2 must

The voters in District 2 must be happy with the results of the last 3 terms. Failing scores, high dropout rate, increasing violence, general discipline problems, protection of non-productive teachers, and stealing employees. I salute the voters in District 2 who have affirmed the future they wish for their children. Keep on electing those same old folks District 2. Things will get better for you kids one day. Don't elect anyone that might be younger with fresh ideas and a little energy and more concerned with the kids than with protecting non-productive teachers and the establishment at the BOE.

edreformfan
edreformfan 12/01/10 - 12:06 pm
Curtis: "I will try to get

Curtis: "I will try to get them to really work with their teachers and work with their children so they can do better on the test," Curtis said. "That's a grave concern."
Does anyone else have a problem with simply "teaching to the test?" I applaud her promise to increase parental participation but I wonder how she will accomplish this feat?

lifelongresident
lifelongresident 12/01/10 - 02:10 pm
dear ed, if you re-read that

dear ed, if you re-read that comment what it means is she will "beg and plead the parents to be parents", there is no working with or encouraging parents to get involved in their childs education!!!!!!" IT'S ABOUT MANDATING PARENTAL INVOLEMENT, i am sure district 2 has some title I schools as well as other districts, these are the districts with historically low test, graduation and achievement scores so it's time to enact legislation to tie any type of public assistance to attendance and academic achievement, they send their children to school to get them out of their hair and not concerned about academic achievement, discipline or student accountability. it's time to start expelling any and all students who...1) has no intrests in learning, disruptive, disrespectful and violent!!!!!

lifelongresident
lifelongresident 12/01/10 - 02:10 pm
dear ed, if you re-read that

C. Hannah
C. Hannah 12/01/10 - 02:45 pm
I hope some of you will

I hope some of you will agree, but the NCLB federal policy crippled some non-innovative leaders into forcing their staff to "teach to the test." This will only guarantee that we have a large group of diploma holders that passed the test but knows absolutely nothing about what this country really is in need of. Frankly, I believe that we should rethink our process from the fed down and begin teaching our children to master the basics and gradually move them into subject matters that will allow them to actually know the material they are being tested on. It is clear logic that a high school student that cannot comprehend basic literature and business math would be in shape to pass the exit exams and be competent in the world where Asian nations are not only our chief competitors but they're trying to wipe the entire board clean of any global competitors and yet we are teaching to a test. Just my opinion. I can remember my days at Laney and Richmond (graduate of Richmond HS) where I went into shop classes and the first thing I had to do was put on my overalls, 10 minute station set-up, start my project, end my project, clean my area. I actually was taught hands-on. That would hold true for any trade, technical and business program that we should be deploying for our studetns to be actually productive immediately after-school if not before. We have to do things differently if we are going to achieve different results.

lifelongresident
lifelongresident 12/01/10 - 05:16 pm
dear hannah, it's called

dear hannah, it's called political correctness!!! i remember shop class myself i also remember the basic's of the 3R'S....also history taught from an unbiased but factual point of view...you name it it was taught based on facts not concerned about "hurting a student's feelings or offending any racial group" it's about facts and that's it!!!! now-a-days it's about "sugar-coating and re-writing history" dumbing down the curriculum in order to inflate graduation numbers and when the students are given a diploma they can't even read what is printed on the diploma. and now the residents living in district 2 are the textbook definition of insane....the school district did not meet ayp and the incumbent is a product of the very same system that produced low-achievement, low graduation rates, high rates of illiteracy and under-performance and they elect the same person who was part of the on-going problem expecting a different result....unbeliveable!!!!!

C. Hannah
C. Hannah 12/01/10 - 06:56 pm
I can only hope that the new

I can only hope that the new super would be a major factor in improving our educational system. Failure to do so will have all of us saying "I wonder where our city would be now if only.........."

No_Longer_Amazed
No_Longer_Amazed 12/03/10 - 04:58 pm
For a couple of days I have

For a couple of days I have been trying to figure out who the photo reminds me of, and I have finally done it - Geraldine on The Flip Wilson Show.

chascush
chascush 12/04/10 - 08:48 pm
RC gets what it deserves. The

RC gets what it deserves. The citizens keep voting the same idiots back in office.