Senate candidate Greene launches media pitch with well-worn attack

COLUMBIA --- In a year when tens of millions of dollars have been spent in campaigns across South Carolina, Democratic U.S. Senate candidate Alvin Greene was worried his message was getting drowned out.

Alvin Greene: Democrat worked the phone and Internet on Friday for his first news release of the campaign. The election is Tuesday.   Brett Flashnick/Associated Press
Brett Flashnick/Associated Press

On Friday, using the new Internet connection hooked up at the home he shares with his ailing father in Manning, Greene sent out what he said was the first news release of his campaign against Republican U.S. Sen. Jim DeMint. The election is Tuesday.

The subject line -- "Demint started the Recession" -- is the same phrase the 33-year-old unemployed Army veteran repeated as he left the courthouse after his most recent court appearance this month on an obscenity charge.

It's also the same phrase he repeated to nearly every unrelated question that MSNBC host Lawrence O'Donnell asked him in his last national interview, on Oct. 12.

The 32-word release includes three numbered points. "1) Demint's support of the Bush Tax Plan. 2) His allowing record deep cuts to Education 3) And the mismanagement of the Wars in Iraq and Afghanistan are destroying our country."

Greene first called The Associated Press to verify e-mail addresses and tell a reporter he wanted to send the release. He said he was worried that the media were ignoring him and that his message wasn't getting out.

"DeMint started the recession," Greene said. "I've said these things before. What I've put out before, it doesn't get in the press."

Ninety minutes later, the e-mail arrived. Greene called again to confirm it got there. He said he was feeling OK about Tuesday's vote.

"We still have some work to do," Greene said.

The South Carolina Democratic Party has ignored Greene. The party hands out a flier with all its statewide candidates on it except its own U.S. Senate candidate. Some party stalwarts have suggested voting for Green Party candidate Tom Clements instead.

Greene himself received far less attention after the novelty of his candidacy wore off after he won the June primary. Outside of his court appearance and the national television interview, the only other splash he made in recent weeks was giving bunny ears to a local television journalist during a live TV shot from the South Carolina State Fair.

Greene's surprise win has also helped DeMint. The incumbent hasn't run a single TV ad, allowing DeMint to spend the $3.5 million he raised for his re-election bid on other conservative candidates as he tried to remake the Republican Party.

DeMint's campaign didn't respond to a phone message asking for a response to Greene's release.

Greene said he might head to Allendale County for a weekend fish fry. "And I'm going to keep working," Greene said.

Insider Information
Insider Information 10/29/10 - 11:31 pm
The Democratic party is

The Democratic party is imploding, ignoring its own candidates and running away from any hint at diversity.
I don't understand how any minority can support the Democratic party.

rjv
rjv 10/30/10 - 07:04 am
INSIDER , IF THE DEMOCRATS

INSIDER , IF THE DEMOCRATS HAD PICKED A "VIABLE", AND THAT MEANS A DECENT CANDIDATE , THEN THEY MAY HAVE HAD A CHANCE ! THIS GUY IS A LOSER WHO "KNOWS FROM NOTHING" !!!!

whocareswhatyouthink
whocareswhatyouthink 10/30/10 - 07:49 am
Of course the Democratic

Of course the Democratic Party is ignoring this idiot. He is NOT a Democrat. He is a shill put up by the GOP. I wonder how much the Republican National Committee has spent financing this clown so far...

Insider Information
Insider Information 10/30/10 - 10:16 am
He blames Bush. Sure sounds

He blames Bush. Sure sounds like a Democrat to me.

usafvet
usafvet 10/30/10 - 10:42 am
I hope the Republican party

I hope the Republican party is not supporting idiots. I contribute to all levels of the Republicans, and if they support idiots, that would mean dumbobama is getting some of my money. I already involuntarily pay too much to him, his party, and the leeches of society through federal deductions. I certainly don't want my contributions supporting idiots and socialism.

whocareswhatyouthink
whocareswhatyouthink 10/30/10 - 11:25 am
@usafvet: When you worry

@usafvet: When you worry about the Republican't Party supporting idiots, I guess you are referring to Christine O'Donnell???

Riverman1
Riverman1 10/30/10 - 11:43 am
Whocares, you had best mind

Whocares, you had best mind your mouth. Christine will put a spell on ya.

Insider Information
Insider Information 10/30/10 - 01:31 pm
Ah, name-calling. Reminds me

Ah, name-calling. Reminds me of second-grade all over again. I must be observing one of those new-fangled political debates.
I'll leave the higher rhetoric of name-calling to the "professional" politicians. As for me, I'll be at the Tea Party.

SCEagle Eye
SCEagle Eye 10/30/10 - 03:22 pm
With Greene as he is and the

With Greene as he is and the AWOL DeMint turning into a self-serving power-grabbing Washington insider, the choice in this race becomes very clear: Tom Clements. He's on the top of the ballot and if you vote straight party you can then go to the Senate race and vote for Clements. Check out the cool videos and ads on his website:

Insider Information
Insider Information 10/30/10 - 03:52 pm
How can DeMint grab power? He

How can DeMint grab power?
He is in the minority party. Democrats have the White House, the House of Representatives and the Senate.
Try stepping away from the talking points for a moment and think about what you're saying.

SouthernChic
SouthernChic 10/31/10 - 10:52 am
I'm a moderate democrat and I

I'm a moderate democrat and I wouldn't vote for Greene if I lived in SC. He's an imbecile at best, and certainly not senate material. I cringed every time I saw him interviewed.