JB Powell picks up endorsement

Thursday, Sept. 16, 2010 3:30 PM
Last updated 5:35 PM

ATLANTA -- In a move that hasn't happened in a decade, an unsuccessful primary candidate has endorsed the nominee of a different party. Republican Darwin Carter is endorsing Democratic nominee JB Powell for the post of agriculture commissioner they both  sought.
Carter says that the man who beat him for the nomination, Gary Black, is too beholden to the big businesses he represented for 20 years as a lobbyist and that he's been lax about campaign ethics. Black was the president of the Georgia Agribusiness Council.
"I felt that in good moral conscience, I could not support the Republican nominee for agriculture commissioner because his ties to special interests as a lobbyist will hurt Georgia farmers and Georgia families," Carter said.
Carter, a former Reagan appointee in the U.S. Department of Agriculture, also credited Powell with creative ideas. One of those ideas made Powell, a state senator from Blythe, the first statewide candidate to embrace the expansion of legalized gambling to include horse racing.
Black's campaign spokeswoman pooh-poohed the endorsement Thursday.
"We offer our congratulations," said Elizabeth H. Vaughan. "Gary has strong bipartisan support of local- and state-elected officials, and farm and consumer supporters in every Georgia county and looks forward to continuing the discussion of the issues: safe food, strong farms, responsible government."

Emerydan
Emerydan 09/16/10 - 02:33 pm
This is probably the first

This is probably the first time I have ever seen the term "pooh-poohed" used by a journalist in a news article.

Taylor B
Taylor B 09/16/10 - 02:44 pm
I'm voting for Kevin Cherry.

I'm voting for Kevin Cherry.

Dawg Fan
Dawg Fan 09/16/10 - 02:47 pm
Black doesn't have bipartisan

Black doesn't have bipartisan support and this false statement from his campaign just shows that he will say anything to get elected - something he must have learned during his 20 years as a lobbyist.

This is a big endorsement for Powell. I was already going to vote for him because I think he is much more qualified than Black, but if Republicans are endorsing Powell than that should really help Powell get the bipartisan support he needs to win.

johnston.cliff
johnston.cliff 09/16/10 - 02:54 pm
Emerydan, pooh-poohed has

Emerydan, pooh-poohed has nothing to do with dirty diapers. I believe you'd be more familiar with "blew off" were it used in this case.

johnston.cliff
johnston.cliff 09/16/10 - 02:57 pm
It looks like Republicans had

It looks like Republicans had a choice between a lobbyist or a Dem running as a Repub. Great choice. At least they didn't pick the RINO for a change.

joebowles
joebowles 09/16/10 - 03:01 pm
Dawg Fan, Have you talked to

Dawg Fan, Have you talked to any farmers?????? Many are Democrats in Burke County and none I know are voting for Powell.

Emerydan
Emerydan 09/16/10 - 03:06 pm
but really.. would you use

but really.. would you use "pooh-poohed" in any sort of professional writing? Seems very sophmoric for a paper like The AC. I would expect that from The Metro Spirit but not The Chronicle. Just doesn't sound very professional.

Emerydan
Emerydan 09/16/10 - 03:08 pm
The bigger news here is that

The bigger news here is that Columbia County republican Joey Brush seems to be endorsing JB "Bubba" Powell. Wonder when The Chronicle will report on that.

sgachief
sgachief 09/16/10 - 03:40 pm
in my humble opinion, anyone

in my humble opinion, anyone that supports or endorses jbpowell is just plain stupid.

irishfarmer
irishfarmer 09/16/10 - 04:03 pm
Darwin Carter what a joke.

Darwin Carter what a joke. Just being a soor and poor looser. Rhino fits him perfectly. As for Joey Brush what a hoot a little bitter another looser. JB Powell will loose and Georgia will be better for it. JB is a good person but the state of Georgia does not need him as its Ag Commissioner. Gary Black is the only real farmer in this election and understands what Georgia farmers need. Kevin Cherry another foolish candidate. If you look at the facts of all the candidates for this political office should be what matters most. Gary Black is the clear choice and the person for the job of Georgia Agriculture Commissioner. I wish voters would start doing their homework on candidates instead of going with just a party all the time or who is from what part of the state.

J.W.
J.W. 09/16/10 - 04:26 pm
If J.B. Powell isn't elected,

If J.B. Powell isn't elected, he will starve to death! He's lived off the public (political) dole for so long, he doesn't know how to do anything else. Please put this guy out to pasture!

LBenedict
LBenedict 09/16/10 - 04:32 pm
Yeah, Powell is such an

Yeah, Powell is such an honest man laden with integrity...tell us again, how did he become the nominee? Oh yes, in the 11th hour he qualified and dragged along a retired deputy to qualify for the Senate seat he held. Tell us again, who is the Democrats' nominee for that Senate seat? Bwahahaha

Gary Black is good people who will serve us well. Jesse Stone better beware of disgruntled Democrats (one of whom gave up a legislative seat and pulled a fast one only to be smacked down) who lost statewide elections coming back to claim legislative seats they feel entitled to.

irishfarmer
irishfarmer 09/16/10 - 04:43 pm
i agree with you LBenedict

i agree with you LBenedict and you too JW. JB is a joke. Him being Agriculture Commissioner is like me going out and running for Attorney General when im not a lawyer. It would make no sense. Im proud to be working and helping with Gary Black's Campaign myself. Democrats and weak knee Rhino's beware. A change is in the wind.

Emerydan
Emerydan 09/16/10 - 04:47 pm
why pray tell does Joey Brush

why pray tell does Joey Brush have big ole JB Powell sign up at his bidness??

Riverman1
Riverman1 09/16/10 - 04:51 pm
The Joey Brush connection is

The Joey Brush connection is fascinating to me, too. Maybe with Joey's last loss, he has decided to throw in the towel where decency is concerned. Brush was named one of four in court...if you know what I'm talking about. What a pair.

Taylor B
Taylor B 09/16/10 - 05:27 pm
Irish, I've met all three

Irish, I've met all three candidates. How is Kevin Cherry a foolish candidate? Because you say so? Kevin has a pest control/wildlife removal business, which is regulated by the Ag comission, along with a million other things.

irishfarmer
irishfarmer 09/16/10 - 05:37 pm
Taylot B, Gary Black owns and

Taylot B, Gary Black owns and operates a farm. Was a past President of FFA, Has a degree in Agriculture from UGA. A pest control business is what you want to argue with. Your kidding right! I supprt your efforts in the school board race your in and I think you will do a great job threw your work with the PTA. I disagree with you on Cherry though when it comes to Ag Commissioner do some research on the candidates this time your candidate is the second best for the job well above JB who should not even have the rating of 3rd. I will say even though I feel Cherry is a foolish candidate that he does seem and sound like a good person, just not the right choice for Ag Commissioner. I have my right to my beliefs as much as you but, before you call someone out check your facts first and make sure that when you argue facts with someone that you have the ammo to do so. Gary Black is the best choice if you look at the bio's or like i would like to say the resumes of the candidates for Agriculture Commissioner of Georgia.

irishfarmer
irishfarmer 09/16/10 - 05:41 pm
I meant Taylor B not Taylot

I meant Taylor B not Taylot B.

irishfarmer
irishfarmer 09/16/10 - 05:43 pm
Oh and Taylor B, I guess John

Oh and Taylor B, I guess John Monds is the best candidate for Gov. of the state of Georgia because you say so.

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 09/16/10 - 05:45 pm
Joe, you know a bunch of

Joe, you know a bunch of Democratic Burke County farmers do you?

You all are too funny.

JB is a great guy and always has been. He was a good commissioner and he has been a great State Senator and when elected, he will prove you all wrong again.

You all would elect a person who use to lobby for the very industry he is wanting to represent instead of a hard working selfman man like JB. He's not bought at all. Nope, he is a s clean as a preachers sheets.

Brad

P.S. J.W you have NO idea what you are talking about. He gave up 100s of thousands of dollars in contracts to serve on the commission. You must have him mixed up with someone else.

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 09/16/10 - 05:51 pm
irishfarmer, No, it is

irishfarmer,

No, it is beacuse Taylor is a Libertarian and those are his party's nominees.

I guess you are voting for Black because he is a farmer? Yeah, right.

Brad

irishfarmer
irishfarmer 09/16/10 - 06:00 pm
No Brad because i am a

No Brad because i am a republican. Also Brad check your facts too. JB did not give up any contracts worth 100's of thousands of dollars. He did what crooked Democrats do every day he had them handle and put into contracts under his wife's name in their business. He is crooked as a question mark and he is by no means clean as preachers sheets. Also Brad when you are done snacking on the JB Powell, Roy Barnes and OBama Kool-Aid do some research of candidates yourself. You may be suprised at what you find.

Taylor B
Taylor B 09/16/10 - 06:00 pm
Irish, I respect your stance

Irish, I respect your stance on your candidate, which is why I didn't call it a "foolish" choice. Its okay to disagree. To call someone foolish without putting forth the facts as you did later isn't going to win anyone over. Remember the ABC's, always be closing!

John Monds isn't a good choice for governor because I say so. He's a good choice for governor because he's everything Deal and Barnes isn't. I've worked for his campaign (unpaid) for over a year, and cast my vote at convention for him (and Cherry.) I'd get into detail, but I don't want to thread-jack...

Irish, thank you for your support in my run for BOE. I can tell you are passionate about your political leanings, and again, I respect that.

irishfarmer
irishfarmer 09/16/10 - 06:10 pm
Taylor B, I too have worked

Taylor B, I too have worked for many candidates on the republican side and also (unpaid) For over a year as well. Im not someone who votes party all the time. For instance you and your BOE race. I support you just as i did when you ran for State Senate District 22. In my opinion you would have been the best choice then. In 2012 I have made it clear that a new comer will be running for that office that i feel will be a awesome candidate and truly a great state senator for our area. I hope you win and are elected to the school board and I wish you and your family the best. No matter what lets all remember that our founding fathers acted like gentleman we can do the same in our blogs on here. In the heat of the moment things are said at times we all regret.

Taylor B
Taylor B 09/16/10 - 07:20 pm
Agreed Irish. If we were all

Agreed Irish. If we were all the same, there would be no need for elections. Good luck, sir, and thank you for your past and present support.

FAIR TAX Now
FAIR TAX Now 09/16/10 - 09:02 pm
J B is an idoit. He was so

J B is an idoit. He was so stupid that when he took someone to Atlanta with him to qualify for his old Senate seat he didn't know the person he took wasn't even in his district which caused him to give the seat to the GOP. He lied and cheated to defeat one of the best state senators this area has ever had. Gary Black will destroy J B. Can you see J. B. and the way he talks so dumb meeting with business people. Agriculture in GA would suffer tremendously if J. B. was in charge.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 09/16/10 - 09:35 pm
Will Rogers never met J.B.

Will Rogers never met J.B. Powell, and I suspect that Darwin Carter never did either.

albertoli
albertoli 09/16/10 - 10:58 pm
J. B. Powell is a

J. B. Powell is a straithforward person of integrity. I had the pleasure of having him as a customer when he owned an electrical contracting business. He always did what was "right'. I have not seen him in years, but I doubt that his essence has changed. Although I am a Republican, I will be crossing party lines and voting for him. I look forward to an opportunity to see him at a campaign rally, saying hello, and shaking his hand again after 15 years.

City to consider emergency plan

The Richmond County Emer­gency Management Agency has drafted changes to emergency operating procedures. Overlooked, however, were several pages of emergency contact data riddled with ...