Sylvia Cooper

City Ink columnist and correspondent for The Augusta Chronicle.

City Ink: Lawmaker gives voice to dangers of frying pans

State Sen. Bill Jackson took some ribbing last week for telling legislative colleagues that hammers and frying pans kill more people than some guns do.

“More murders were committed last year with hammers than with shotguns, rifles or AK-47s,” Jackson said during a discussion of a mental health bill that the sponsor said would do more to prevent mass shootings than gun control.

Jackson, R-Appling, also mentioned a slaying he read about in which the victim was bludgeoned with a frying pan, Morris News Service’s Walter Jones reported.

Jackson said he didn’t remember where he read the statistic. His point, he said, is that no one is worried about regulating hammers and frying pans.

“If they’re going to take the guns, let’s take the frying pans and the hammers,” he said. “It’s crazy. That frying pan wasn’t going to go and get up out of the kitchen and kill nobody now until that varmint got a hold of it.”

Jackson might have read the statistic from FBI crime reports that show the number of homicides committed annually with hammers and clubs far outnumbers the number committed with rifles. In 2011, more than twice as many people (728) were killed with hands, fists and feet than with rifles (323) such as AR-15s.

Just last week, an Augusta man who beat his former girlfriend with a baseball bat was sentenced to seven years in prison. And who could forget the man arrested awhile back after hitting his wife in the head with a hammer because she drank their last can of beer?

OUT OF THE FRYING PAN INTO THE GRAVE: Jezebel.com predicts “It’s Only a Matter of Time Before You’re Involved in a Frying Pan Attack,” a prediction based on cases such as a woman accused of hitting a Covington, Va., dry cleaner owner with a frying pan and stealing money from the cash register.

Blogger Anna North also wrote about a New Jersey woman accused of hitting a 9-year-old boy with a frying pan after he dropped a bagel and her dog ate it. A woman in Naples, Fla., was accused of attacking her boyfriend with a pan because he wouldn’t let her use his razors. And a North Carolina man was accused of hitting his housemate with a frying pan after she tried to move out using his luggage. (She also allegedly threw grape jelly at his head.)

One man was acquitted of a frying pan assault last year after being accused of hitting his fiancée in the head. She had broken ribs, a broken nose and a possible concussion. The man was acquitted; however, he was convicted of hitting a police officer trying to arrest him, according to North.

There are too many other examples of frying pan, hammer and bat assaults to mention here. One man camping out with friends even killed a rabid mountain lion with a frying pan. But that’s another story.

QUOTE OF THE WEEK: “If we don’t do this, we can be sued.” – Augusta Com­mission member Marion Williams, after putting the issue of Richmond County Sheriff Richard Roundtree’s and Solicitor General Kellie Kenner-McIntyre’s requests for “salary adjustments” on this week’s commission agenda after they were defeated on a racially divided 5-4 vote last week.

WHAT’S IN A NAME CAN BE POLITICS: I couldn’t attend former state Rep. Jack Connell’s funeral, but I was told it was a “beautiful tribute to a great American.” I tried to write about the former Georgia House speaker pro tem and his wife, Nan, last week but was under attack by some evil bug.

I wanted to say how regrettable it is that an Augus­ta State University building has not been named in Con­nell’s honor because of the millions of dollars he helped bring to the campus during his 33 years in the Legis­lature.

Friends and family did establish a $50,000 endowment at the school that will help pay tuition for students who have been out of school for a while.

A plaque dedicated to Connell was placed on a bench on the school’s His­tory Walk. Nan laughed and said, “Allgood got a building. At least Jack got a bench.”

Augusta State’s Allgood Hall is named in honor of late state senator and Georgia Board of Regents member Tom Allgood.

Partisan politics kept River Watch Parkway from being named in Connell’s honor. In 1993, state Rep. Henry Howard introduced a bill to rename the road for Connell because of his efforts to get $50 million from the state budget to build it. But his adversaries in the Senate (Republicans) gutted the legislation, effectively removing his name.

In 2004, Sen. Don Cheeks introduced a resolution to “dedicate” the road in Connell’s honor, which was done later that year.

A proposed policy for naming public buildings is on Tuesday’s Augusta Com­mis­sion agenda. It states in part that a building can be “named or renamed for persons who have made significant monetary or land contributions or other significant contributions to the well being and betterment of Augusta, Ga.”

Surely a man who flew 79 missions over Europe in World War II to help save the free world would qualify on that alone, not to mention his work bringing home the bacon – even receiving the Stuck Pig Award for getting a $25,000 state grant to replace drought-stricken city azaleas – plus holding the record for being the longest-serving speaker pro tem in the United States.

HE’S BEEN NOMINATED, BUT HE WON’T RUN: Somebody created a “Bob Young for Congress” Facebook page, but it wasn’t Young.

“I’m running from Con­gress as fast and as hard as we can,” he said. “We all are.”

MORE HONORS FOR STRENGTH: The Augusta State University Alumni Asso­cia­tion will honor former Richmond County Sheriff Ronnie Strength with its 2013 Distinguished Alumnus Award at a dinner at St. Paul’s Episcopal Church on Friday.

The award is given to alumni who have achieved a level of excellence in their chosen profession and provided outstanding support to the community and ASU.

The Exchange Club of Au­gusta has established an annual award in honor of Strength. The award will be a major donation to a county charity, preferably dealing with child advocacy, according to club President Pat Thompson.

Strength will choose this year’s recipient. Roundtree will choose future recipients during his tenure. Strength will present the first award during the Ex­change Club’s media day Thurs­day at First Baptist Church.

One can’t help but wonder whether Roundtree will demand immediate and equal honors. Never mind that he hasn’t earned them.

HE’S GONE COUNTRY: Since retiring, Strength has grown a goatee, saying, “Everybody down here in the country has got one.”

These days, instead of being at the sheriff’s office at 7 a.m., he heads over to Peggy’s Café in Wrens for breakfast with a “great group of people.”

“They keep up with what’s going on,” he said.

I’ll bet that crowd solves all of the problems of the world before the second fill-up.

FAT CHANCE: State Rep. Calvin Hill, R-Canton, has called for a constitutional amendment that would prohibit public officials from holding office if they are delinquent on taxes. The provision would apply to all state or local elected or appointed offices and all federal, state or local taxes.

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/17/13 - 08:35 am
Coldbeer---Rebel--Cgee--Ksl

I just love it when the gang gets together on here......& Rebel we all wonder about you....haha

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 02/17/13 - 08:49 am
Today's menu at the "Flying Frying Pan Bar, Grill and Assault W

Today's menu at the "Flying Frying Pan Bar,Grill and Assault Weapon"
Fried Fatback with a side of hot souse meat served alongside scrambled eggs, hot cinnamon grits and a Big Ole Cathead Biscuit!!

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/17/13 - 09:14 am
Little place where the oldies chew the fat

Well when you think about it...this is our place.....and when coldbeer plans the menu we are ready for chatting......I love those quaint restaurants....just like RM said....a newcomer has to listen before joining up .....my Aunt met her last love in a place in Hampton SC....it was a Hardies & all the oldies but goodies met up for chat/breakfast....aaaahh the stories you can hear...& the funny jokes.....something about the places that makes you wanta come back....a lot of wisdom is shared too...

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 02/17/13 - 10:53 am
Techfan, you are correct

Techfan, you are correct about the record distance. I believe the sniper had to aim several feet up and several feet off to the side to correct for windage and drop. I would say all in all a lucky shot; but a lot of those guys are lights out at 1000 yards.

Needless to say though, the average citizen need not worry about someone picking them off with a rifle. It has happened, but odds are you will get hit by a bus sooner.

KSL
KSL 02/17/13 - 10:58 am
And generally you can see the

And generally you can see the bus coming!

KSL
KSL 02/17/13 - 11:00 am
At any rate

Worrying about a sniper picking me off is not high on my worry list.

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 02/17/13 - 11:05 am
Something I found interesting;

He is some hard data (well, it's government so as hard as it can be)

According to the FBI, in 2011 (last year for which stats are currently available) there were 12,664 murders in the US 8583 (51.506%) were by firearms of those by firearm a mere 323 (2.551% of all murders) were by a rifle, all types.

Now if you want the percentage of people murdered by firearms who were killed by “rifle, all types” it’s 3.763%, but knives still killed far more people (1694 or 13.338% of all murders).

Interestingly according to NITSA 32,367 people died in car accidents, and 9878 of them were related to drunk driving.

So you’re 2.556 times more likely to die in a car than to me murdered, 3.771 times more likely to die in a car than to be murdered by a gun, and 100.207 times more likely to die in a car than to be killed by a rifle. All while being 1.151 times more likely to die in a drunk driving incident than to be murdered by any firearm.

Repost as you like. Sources are the FBI Uniform Crime Reports 2011 and NITSA websites.

Brad "From My Cold Dead Fingers" Owens

KSL
KSL 02/17/13 - 11:08 am
Nor

Do I worry about my many gun owner friends getting angry with me and taking action.

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/17/13 - 11:19 am
Seenit said, ".....my Aunt

Seenit said, ".....my Aunt met her last love in a place in Hampton SC....it was a Hardies & all the oldies but goodies met up for chat/breakfast....aaaahh the stories you can hear...& the funny jokes.....something about the places that makes you wanta come back....a lot of wisdom is shared too..."

SeenIt, believe this or not, THAT Hardees in Hampton is the one I was thinking about with the early morning crowd. I've been in that place exactly one time and it was morning with that crowd. They sit on the left side of the restaurant.

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/17/13 - 11:35 am
JackT addressed me,

JackT addressed me, "Riverman, your rights are not unlimited...not the first or the second or beyond. Even the Supreme Court agrees. You don't need to own every gun known to man to exercise your second amendment rights."

JackT, here's the thing, the intent of the 2nd Amendment was to have armed citizens that had the weapons of an infantry soldier. True, they didn't say artillery, but they did want the citizens to have what foot soldiers carry. They wanted citizens who could hold their own with an oppressive force. Soliders today have automatic weapons and that means citizens should be allowed to possess automatic weapons. THAT'S the intent of the 2nd Amendment.

Jack T
Jack T 02/17/13 - 12:54 pm
Why do you all emphasize

Why do you all emphasize "SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED" but ignore "A WELL REGULATED MILITA"?

From the 2008 DC v. Heller ruling, written by Scalia, and one of the very few Supreme Court cases to touch on the Second Amendment at all:

"Like most rights, the Second Amendment right is not unlimited. It is not a right to keep and carry any weapon whatsoever in any manner whatsoever and for whatever purpose: For example, concealed weapons prohibitions have been upheld under the Amendment or state analogues. The Court’s opinion should not be taken to cast doubt on longstanding prohibitions on the possession of firearms by felons and the mentally ill, or laws forbidding the carrying of firearms in sensitive places such as schools and government buildings, or laws imposing conditions and qualifications on the commercial sale of arms."

Remember: Written by Scalia, i.e., not one of those liberal judicial activists you all whine so much about.

Jack T
Jack T 02/17/13 - 12:58 pm
Also to the guy who basically

Also to the guy who basically threatened me by saying he hopes I never run into him because he's not afraid to use his weapon....Care to put your real name and face to that comment? I'd like to tell Richmond County that we have a gun owner who thinks he can threaten people for simply disagreeing with you.

People like him(her?) are the reason so much of the nation wants better gun laws.

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/17/13 - 01:13 pm
Sure states can regulate who

Sure states can regulate who carries weapons. They can prevent felons and the mentally ill from having them. There's nothing wrong with Scalia going along with that as long as the restrictions don't go against the spirit of the Second Amendment that gives the people the right to bear arms.

Also, don't forget the intent was to make them the equal of foot soldiers with their guns. A militia was not the military. It was civilians who could join together if necessary or fight individually. An oppressive military and government was one of the fears of the founding fathers.

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/17/13 - 01:18 pm
ooooh jack T

He said,...
Not even to vile people like that user.

Don't think I would mess with that guy if I were you....he not only can
out post you
out think you
out run you
out shoot you
He can out cook you too...just saying.....he has his own posse & he ain't afraid to use it!

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/17/13 - 01:20 pm
Give Alaska Back to Russia While You're At It

The Second Amendment ticks liberals off because it is so clearly defined in the Constitution. There is only a very complicated and highly unlikely method to change the Constitution. Calling a constitutional convention and getting ¾ of the states to approve the change would have as much a chance of succeeding as giving Alaska back to Russia. So just stomp your feet and pout about those mean old writers of the Constitution because there’s nothing you can do about it.

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/17/13 - 01:22 pm
River

The next time you are in THAT Hardees...check for a Jerry C......he was my Aunts love.....she passed away but ole Jerry is in his 90s now & still going strong.......some of his buddies made a joke after she passed (ya know how men can be) & said..."I wonder if ole Jerry will meetup at Hardees again---looking for a woman."

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/17/13 - 01:27 pm
SeenIt, touching story. I'm

SeenIt, touching story. I'm trying to remember more about that place. Like I said I've been there exactly one time and it was a few years back. It was on a trip to the coast. Regulars on the left at a few tables with a couple of small tables at the front by the window where I waited for my order and observed the regulars.

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/17/13 - 01:38 pm
Meeting of the minds

Some probably will make fun of the oldsters at these out of the way restaurants...BUT ..the best gift you could give to yourself is to listen to them....their ole time wisdom flows like jewels & most of them are very forgiving to young folks...they know...they have walked in the same roads & learned along the way....also they know what is really important in life.....it isn't the new car---spanking big house---or how much $$ you have in the bank......I'm learning everytime I see my folks .......
seeyall...have some reading to do....(I really miss some of my ole folks)♥

Jack T
Jack T 02/17/13 - 02:13 pm
Our screwed up attitude towards guns...

One big problem isn't the guns themselves it is the screwed-up attitude so many of the loudmouths seem to have about guns. They don't see a gun as a dangerous but occasionally useful tool to get food (as in hunting) or provide self-defense *only* as a last resort. They see it instead as a fantasy "equalizer" and/or power symbol: "I have a gun, ain't nobody gonna mess with me!" It's straight out of High Noon, only with a lot less sense of responsibility than Gary Cooper's character in that film has. These people do not treat guns with respect, but as toys. Or substitutes for you can guess which organ.

Thank you all(well the majority of you anyways) for proving this point so well, btw.

There is a deep and serious problem with this country. People get so afraid they go out and buy guns. The problem is, people tend to think regulating guns means the same thing as BANNING guns. I am against banning ALL guns. Certain type of guns, maybe, like machine guns, but nothing like rifles or handguns. The problem is not just lax gun control, however. The main problem is that people refuse to see this as a problem. They look at all the innocent children killed in Newton and the dozen people senselessly slaughtered in Aurora and loudly boast, "There is no problem!" Their solution? As insane as it may sounds, is to arm teachers and their students with guns. Yes, I've seen people argue that. Instead of making guns harder to get, they argue for making them even EASIER! THAT is the sign of a society that is deluded and in deep denial about itself.

Again having all of these legal weapons floating around adds to that illegal market you all whine about. I hope you gun owners here at least keep your weapons secured and out of easy reach of children or anyone else who would use it to do harm. Like I said on another article...I own a snub nose .38. I don't carry but I do like having it at home. I've never had to use it nor do I fantasize about being to use it nor do I tell people to watch themselves because I disagreed with them and I've got a gun.

Jack T
Jack T 02/17/13 - 02:15 pm
The country has the most

The country has the most firearm related deaths of any industrialized country by a long shot. It has the highest firearms per capita of any country, but even the countries with similar stats for firearms per capita have far fewer firearm related deaths. In my opinion it's not so much the guns but the rampant fear and paranoia we have in this country that is the biggest issue.

We've created a country of cowards that flinch at the sight of their own shadows. They think everyone is out to get them especially the people who are or seem "different" from how they are. This country is beyond paranoid. Unless the person comes after you or tries to physically assault you, there is no need for self-defense. It's not self-defense just because you are afraid of everyone and the media has turned you paranoid. If you have to confront the person, then confront them, but not with guns blazing first. If you are afraid then just leave, without confrontation. We place the blame on all the wrong things and will end up creating a country with paranoid people who have no freedoms, and still the crime will persist. The guns aren't the problem, the laws aren't the problem, the PEOPLE are the problem. Until you can fix that, nothing will change.

Here is my experience with 2/3rds of gun carriers: they think murder rates are far higher than they are. They are afraid of half the people who look at them (e.g., A relative of mine had a flat tire and shooed away a group of black men slowing down to help us thinking they were going to attack us at the side of a busy highway downtown in broad daylight).

When SOME people have a gun, it somehow becomes their immediate solution to every confrontation. Their brain seems to stops working as they even look for confrontation. I keep hearing about people who leave the safety of their automobiles to pursue unarmed people and then claim 'self-defense'!

Along with the 'right to bear arms' should come the 'responsibility to exercise all reasonable efforts to avoid armed conflict'.

I'm not anti-gun, but when a society gets to the point no one feels safe until there's a gun or an armed guard nearby then society has a problem. I love my country, but we need take off our "We're the best!" cheer-leading costumes, start taking a hard look at our problems and admit that maybe we haven't gotten everything right in this country.

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 02/17/13 - 03:26 pm
Well Jack T. Any relation to

Well Jack T. Any relation to Earnest T? Let's look at Chicago. They've outlawed guns. Would you feel safe walking the streets of Mr. O's claim to fame without a firearm or an armed guard? The highest gun crime city in the US?? By the way, if you don't like our cheerleading costumes, maybe you should look into a different team with a different uniform, say one with a hammer and sickle!

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/17/13 - 03:42 pm
Trayvon Martin?

"I keep hearing about people who leave the safety of their automobiles to pursue unarmed people and then claim 'self-defense'!"

No law says you can't walk behind somebody or do a neighborhood watch and ask people what they are doing. If the subject attacks you, the law says you are within your rights to shoot him. You are not seriously arguing the Trayvon Martin case now that the photos of Zimmerman's injuries have been made public along with the autopsy results that showed the abrasions on Martin's knuckles?

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 02/17/13 - 03:53 pm
Militia

Jack T's 11:54 a.m. post is confusing. He prefaces it by asking us to think about the meaning of the militia being necessary; then he posts an excerpt from a Supreme Court ruling written by Justice Scalia. Only in the posted excerpt, there is no discussion about militias at all. No valid point was made in the post. Would you like to try again, Jack?

Darby
Darby 02/17/13 - 04:48 pm
"I believe the sniper had to aim several feet......

up and several feet off to the side to correct for windage and drop."

Actually, the sniper aims for the exact spot he expects to hit. All corrections for windage and elevation are made on the weapon's sights.

The shooter's cross-hairs are going to be on center-of-mass or between the eyes, even though simple ballistics might indicate otherwise. There is much more training, skill and science involved than most people realize.

How did we get off the subject of frying pans??

Darby
Darby 02/17/13 - 05:01 pm
Am I the only one to notice that some folks...

with the least to say, are the most verbose??

It's pretty much an undisputed axiom that a liberal is just a conservative who hasn't been mugged yet.

harley_52
harley_52 02/17/13 - 06:23 pm
"Actually, the sniper aims for....

....the exact spot he expects to hit. All corrections for windage and elevation are made on the weapon's sights."

It's true that most modern snipers, if properly equipped, can "dial in" their distant target on the sights of the weapon. But it is common for them to still use "Kentucky windage" to move their point of aim over, or off, the target to make adjustments based on their sense for the range, or especially the wind, changes as they slowly squeeze off the shot.

Darby
Darby 02/17/13 - 10:24 pm
"It's true that most modern snipers..."

Harley, don't want to get into any kind of argument with someone who in essence agrees with me, BUT.....

Sniping today is an art and science. The sniper does not work alone. He has a partner who constantly checks the wind, air temp and target changes of any kind and suggests sight adjustments to the sniper right up until the round goes "downrange". One shot, one kill!

But the sniper, when that weapon fires is focused on exactly where he expects to hit. Moving the point of sight slightly off dead center to compensate for wind or air temp makes the shot more art than science.

Don't mean to second guess you. Maybe you worked as a sniper, but so did I. That's the way I was trained and the way I did it.

rebellious
rebellious 02/18/13 - 01:35 am
An old woman

was pulled over by the State Patrol. As a routine question, he asked her if she had any weapons in her car.

She replied she had a .38 special in the door pocket, a 22 derringer in her pocketbook, and a 12 gauge shotgun in the trunk.

The Patrolman asked "Mame, what are you afraid of?"

She replied "Not a Dang thing!"

rebellious
rebellious 02/18/13 - 02:09 am
Jack T

You wrote:

I've never harmed a person a day in my life and I have no intentions of doing so. Not even to vile people like that user."

I have perused the comments, and I certainly hope you aren't making reference to my post about carrying a small ashtray shaped like a frying pan. There surely was some post that was removed you must be referring to. Please respond, because if you percieved that as a threat....... I have overestimated your intelligence and ability to follow the continuity of the threads out here on the AC.

And will be glad to supply you my real name, real address and speak in person, unarmed and unafraid.

Jeeze, some people!

rebellious
rebellious 02/18/13 - 02:55 am
For the record

I do not threaten. Never found the need nor saw the usefulness.

In real life, I have warned and informed, but never threatened. But have always been prepared to provide action to words.

On these pages, however, I do use metaphor, simile, alliteration, personification, hyperbole, sarcasm and allusion to illustrate and entertain. I also play off previous comments, as I enjoy a running dialogue, albeit intermixed amongst several trains of thought.

I choose to remain relatively anonymous on these pages as I enjoy the ability to voice opinions best left unsaid when identified, although held steadfastly, nonetheless.

I have met and dined with many posters on this site, at my hacienda and others.

But have never been accused of threatening someone or felt threatened.

To adopt a Liberal theme, frankly I am offended and demand an apology! And a law, or some government regulation against unfair public forum accusations. Or a stricter contro lof posting. How about a background check of posters, with a 30 day waiting (cooling off) period! Or smaller posting magazines. Just kidding. At least the last part. Plus I know that posting this late on an old post means exactly zero people will ever read it, except for Sean and his minimees.

And for Big Brother....On the record.....I own no firearms. And I mean it!

Morning wreck slows traffic

Expect delays at Peach Orchard Road near Bobby Jones Expressway after a wreck involving an 18-wheeler.