Sylvia Cooper

City Ink columnist and correspondent for The Augusta Chronicle.

City Ink: Scott Peebles alienates his Republican supporters

What do Latasha Nicole Moore and Scott Peebles’ Repub­lican supporters have in common?

They want their votes back.

Moore claims she’s got four coming to her because she was promised a car if she’d get four people to vote for Democratic sheriff’s candidate Richard Roundtree. Many Republicans who crossed party lines to vote for Peebles and donated money, not to mention time and effort, wish they could get their votes and a refund now that Peebles has endorsed Roundtree.

Peebles’ campaign manager, Lewis Blanchard, has jumped on the Roundtree bandwagon with Peebles.

“After much thought, prayer and discussion, it is my intention to help and support Richard Roundtree in his campaign to be the next sheriff of Richmond Coun­ty,” Blanchard posted on his Face­book page Friday. “If you have not had the opportunity to hear directly from Richard, I will be hosting an event for him in the near future.”

I can’t imagine it will be the same crowd that attended the other parties Blanchard threw for Peebles. Many of them are as mad as hell.

ARE THERE ANY QUESTIONS? Pee­bles announced his support for Roundtree in a news release that ended with, “This is all I will have to say publicly about the race for sheriff. No further statements or interviews will be conducted and no further comment will be made.”

It’s just as well he didn’t hold a news conference. It would have gone something like this:

Reporter: Capt. Peebles, did Lt. Roundtree promise to promote you to major for endorsing him?

Peebles: No comment.

Reporter: Capt. Peebles, did Lt. Roundtree promise your campaign manager a job in the sheriff’s office if he’d support him, too?

Peebles: No comment.

Reporter: Capt. Peebles, if Lt. Roundtree didn’t promise you a new title for endorsing him, why didn’t you just keep quiet and not make the people who worked so hard for you want to wring your neck?

Peebles: No comment.

Reporter: Capt. Peebles, did you decide to endorse Lt. Roundtree to pay Sheriff Ronnie Strength back for not endorsing you before the primary?

Peebles: No comment.

Reporter: Capt. Peebles, now that you’ve endorsed Lt. Roundtree do you regret all those bad things you said about him before the election?

Peebles: No comment. Now that I’ve answered all of your questions, I’m going to cut this off. Thank you for coming.

DO WE BUILD ON A PLATFORM OR ON A FOUNDATION? In his written statement, Peebles said his and Roundtree’s fundamental ideas regarding the direction of law enforcement are nearly identical. Augusta Commission member Joe Bowles agreed and said anyone who supported Peebles based on his platform has no reason not to support Roundtree.

“Their platforms are identical,” he said. “The best question is, why aren’t all of Scott Peebles’ supporters lining up behind Roundtree? They both want community policing and both believe in technical advances to benefit police officers. And they both believe in a citizen advisory board.”

No, Joe, the best question is, “Would you trust this man with your wife?”

Bowles, a Republican with liber­tarian leanings or vice versa, voted for Peebles. He said he hasn’t endorsed Roundtree because he doesn’t know whether he can endorse two Democrats in one year.

“My last Democrat vote was 20 years ago when I voted for Bill Clinton,” he said.

VOTES FOR CLUNKERS: Moore told investigators that a used-car lot owner approached her at a Roundtree event and promised to give her a car if she got four other people to vote for Roundtree. She said she got four people to vote but that U Wanna Ride owner Jerry Lee Jor­dan refused to honor the supposed compact. So Moore called the law and said, “I want my vote back.” The case was turned over to the secretary of state’s office.

Jordan’s wife, Cushena, took to the airwaves to declare, “This girl is crazy,” and said she and her husband want to take lie detector tests and want Moore prosecuted. Moore also wants to take a lie detector test, so I hear. I also hear the case is more than “he said, she said,” and that the police have text messages between Jordan and Moore. I don’t know about Moore’s mental state, but she’s been to an institution quite a few times in her 23 years, that being the Richmond County jail, according to police records. The last two times were 2010, once on a charge of contributing to the delinquency of a minor and once for disorderly conduct.

There might be a credibility issue there.

DON’T MOVE THE BUS, THROW HER UNDER IT: Oh, what a surprise! Augusta’s Human Resources Depart­ment is undergoing an extreme makeover.

Dr. Malik Watkins from the Carl Vinson Institute of Govern­ment has analyzed the situation to include a survey and identified five top issues: poor customer service, unresponsiveness, lack of knowledge, lack of concern and understaffing. (Of course, what else does government always come up with to excuse sorry performance?)

Keep in mind this is the same department that investigated a disgruntled former employee’s allegations that recreation department operations manager Melinda Pearson had taken time off she wasn’t entitled to, which was one big fat lie. She had the time coming and the proof. The administration just wanted to get rid of Recreation Director Tom Beck, who signed off on her time card, and used the situation at hand to do it. She was just collateral damage.

So Deputy Director Bill Shanahan volunteered her personnel file to the media, which hadn’t even requested it, in an effort to discredit her. She was demoted to a manual labor position after 29 years with the government, where she was known as one of the hardest-working people in the recreation department.

Shortly after assuming her new duties, which included laying tile, bricks, climbing ladders and painting, she was injured on the job, which exacerbated a serious neck injury that had sidelined her for eight months in 2004. She got a good lawyer and filed for workers’ compensation, which made them mad.

ANOTHER HATCHET JOB: Now in an effort to further discredit Pearson, someone leaked one page of her workers’ compensation application to a TV reporter, who went on air last week waving it around and suggesting she’s guilty of workers’ compensation fraud. The reporter had shown the document to Bowles, who said from what he was looking at somebody made an error or “flat out tried to cover something up.”

The next day, Bowles called the news story “bogus.”

“Based on what I’ve heard from lawyer Jack Batson today, he’s looking at one page of documents, and that’s not the entire story,” Bowles said. “Based on the paperwork, Melinda Pearson did absolutely nothing wrong. Somebody did something wrong. I predicated everything I said by that one page he showed me. It’s another hatchet job by the media.”

So why hasn’t City Ad­min­is­trator Fred Russell stepped up and notified the TV station that it has aired bogus information damaging to Pearson and clear her name instead of letting the segment run over and over? Because he also commented on air about the application, why hasn’t he gone on air to personally repudiate the allegations?

BUT CAN WE REMEMBER IN NOVEMBER: Ernie and I went to see the movie 2016: Obama’s America. Everybody in the theater was older than dirt. When we got out, Ernie said it was like watching a movie on a tour bus. He said he kept expecting his hair to turn blue.

rebellious
rebellious 09/02/12 - 07:12 am
From his lips to your ears

On Freddie's website, click on the news tab and watch several video interviews of Sanders talking about his plans.

Riverman1
Riverman1 09/02/12 - 07:57 am
JAnderson

JAnderson said, “I am confused though by many of your other posts where you have said this community needs community policing and that having a black Sheriff would solve many problems and be great for the area because Sanders is neither of these.”

Glad to see you went back and found my old comments. I take no prisoners and will say what I believe to be the truth. Let me go over a few things. I was the very first person to bring up community policing a couple of years ago and went into the Charleston experience in detail. Peebles went on Austin’s show and was negative about the whole idea in response. Later Lori and the Harrisburg group started to apply pressure for adoption of the concept. Chief Sanders hasn’t voiced a positive view of the model, but some of that may be open to interpretation. The main tenet of that type policing is empowering the officer.

Next, I did say our next sheriff should be black because it brought a certain dynamic to policing just as Reuben Greenberg did in Charleston. I started saying that many years ago…all the way back on the old forums.

However, I WAS THE ONE who noted the significance of the times Roundtree had been signing out the hooker on Sundays. I wrote comment after comment about it until finally disciplinary action was taken against him.

What I give Tree credit for is he manned up for his past lapses and has apologized, again, as late as the column about him today. Realize he was NOT the only one with many escapades in the RCSO. If you knew the facts about that, you would be surprised.

Riverman1
Riverman1 09/02/12 - 08:44 am
A little more

Lastly, when most were supporting Peebles, I was trying to point out his shady aspects. Here’s what’s interesting, I know how to say things without violating the TOS and I would post comments about Peebles and his connections. The comments would be removed and I was simply told I had a vendetta against them even although I was posting links and so on about establishments. On the other hand it appeared to be free reign on Tree.

Finally, let’s all understand now that some in the media were wrong when they said Freddie was only in it as a safety valve pass. It was proved wrong time after time even though the comments by a few in the media continued. Explain the present Peebles’ endorsement that goes against Freddie and Ronnie Strength if you will. By the way, it has also been shown KSM is not bat…crazy as some said when she described Peebles’ dubiousness.

Riverman1
Riverman1 09/02/12 - 08:06 am
LL said in reference to my

LL said in reference to my questions of who the AC will endorse, "You must have patience, Riverman. ACES will publish their endorsement in late October."

I would suggest after their heavy editorials supporting Peebles, saying Roundtree was the scourge of Augusta and now with the circumstances of Peebles endorsing Tree they would give us an early endorsement and explanation. Plus, I'd just like to laugh at them a little bit.

Willow Bailey
20603
Willow Bailey 09/02/12 - 08:43 am
Sorry River,

I am no supporter of Mr. Roundtree's and I'm sorry to disagree with you, but I see nothing about Peebles' endorsement of this candidate that should be a shock to anyone as political candidates do this routinely even after spending months trashing them.

When have we ever witnessed a Democratic candidate crossing over after a primary or anytime and giving their support to a Republican candidate or vice versa? I don't know of any, but perhaps, you do.

If we don't like Scott, we can read it anyway that we want to, but what the endorsement actually says is:

1) Scott Peebles (the questionable Democratic candidate) has chosen to remain true to the Democratic Party. 2) He is concerned about securing his own current career.

On a personal note, a) Could Scott be resentful about how support was promised and then ripped away? b) Would you place trust in the so called "group plan", if indeed, there was one? My answers are, a) I would and b) I wouldn't. Furthermore, I’d take a good inventory of my circumstances and make adjustments in the best interest of my family and law enforcement/political future.

What Scott Peebles is showing, is that he is a person who can adapt and still work within the circumstances rather than be defeated by them. He instills confidence and peace in others and I am proud of him.

I'm certain, that whoever is elected, Peebles will continue to be the man at the forefront helping to keep Augusta as safe as possible. Thank you Scott Peebles!

Riverman1
Riverman1 09/02/12 - 08:48 am
Willow said, "What Scott

Willow said, "What Scott Peebles is showing, is that he is a person who can adapt and still work within the circumstances rather than be defeated by them."

Well, yeah, you can look at it that way and call it adapting. Like I said, if Roundtree trusts Peebles and Blanchard after all THAT, he is naïve.

Willow Bailey
20603
Willow Bailey 09/02/12 - 09:04 am
LOL, River, "naive", you say.

LOL, River, "naive", you say. Just take a good look at the cast of characters that currently surround him and then tell me that Scott doesn't stand up very, very TALL and GLISTENING. In fact, I think I see a halo on his head.

You always said Roundtree would be easier for Freddie to defeat than Scott. So as supporters of Freddie Sanders, we don't need to give up.
Talk about Freddie...

Riverman1
Riverman1 09/02/12 - 08:59 am
Others "Adapted" too

One of the scare tactics employed during the election was that many RCSO officers (with hints Peebles would quit, too) would leave the department if Peebles was not elected. I mean I HEARD this almost daily on the air.

So far Columbia County has had TWO applications from RCSO personnel. That's probably not many more than the average. The fact is jobs for ranking officers are extremely hard to find in these tough economic times and no county is seeking ranking officers from other counties.

Riverman1
Riverman1 09/02/12 - 09:02 am
Ha, my naïve has the double

Ha, my naïve has the double dots above the ï and yours doesn't. Well, yeah, seriously, like I said the other day, I'll talk up Chief Sanders plenty when this dies out. Sylvia brought it up, not me. It's logical there is going to be a certain amount of discussion about Peebles' endorsement.

Willow Bailey
20603
Willow Bailey 09/02/12 - 09:07 am
@River, "The fact is jobs for

@River, "The fact is jobs for ranking officers are extremely hard to find in these tough economic times and no county is seeking ranking officers from other counties."

ha, ha, I'll see your "double dots" and raise you a "BINGO"!

Riverman1
Riverman1 09/02/12 - 09:13 am
Hahaha...company coming. Nice

Hahaha...company coming. Nice conversation, folks. G-57 was my winning BINGO number the only time I played.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 09/02/12 - 10:40 am
Platform

palmetto1008 posted:

I'm still waiting for Mr. Sanders vision, goals, and strategies for his role as sheriff.

Well, he said he will have his officers respond to calls for help, respond to crime scenes, investigate crimes, interview suspects, arrest criminals, present evidence to the District Attorney, etc. That is what I want my sheriff to do. I do not want my sheriff's deputies holding children's hands in elementary schools trying to "educate" them. I do not want my sheriff burdened by a "citizens advisory panel" that seeks to second-guess and Monday-morning-quarterback the split-second decisions the deputies make in the field.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 09/02/12 - 10:43 am
Double Dots

Hey, I can do the double dots, too

ï

How about the degree symbol

°

How about fractions

¾

JRC2024
JRC2024 09/02/12 - 10:49 am
Fred for me. I just do not

Fred for me. I just do not trust Roundtree and his sordid past.

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/02/12 - 11:00 am
heh heh

Llamb...how about quit showing off...:).a joke

About community policing......yeh that reaaaly "sounds" good.....nice on paper ...but in the real world you have nut cases with drug problems & they live in some of the places that community police would be walking-talking & etc......the first time a few good policemen are killed just trying to do THEIR job---walking in the wide open spaces w/o adequate protection....the plan would fall by the wayside.....
Why not have mentors---why not put some bucks in activities ..such as golf for the young men....why not get some ELDERS in their neighborhood to spend time with the youngsters.....we can talk til you know what freezes over.......but we need 2 parents responsible for the actions of their offspring.

Patty-P
Patty-P 09/02/12 - 11:06 am
Willow and River, I think you

Willow and River, I think you are both wrong as to the reasons for the endorsement, but I will keep my thoughts to myself. Sure seems to be a lot of drama going on all the time in politics of Augusta.

Karen Slater-McDaniel
Karen Slater-McDaniel 09/02/12 - 11:17 am
Registered trademark ...

River, from this notification forward, please use "BATCRAP crazy®™" ... and forward all royalty payments to me via PayPal. Lol ... :p

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/02/12 - 11:34 am
Oh KSM that is goood

I bet RM can't put a trademark on here..hahah....

I just love it when a woman outsmarts a man...esp. THAT man.:)

and...I have a feeling Patty is right.....there is so much more going on behind the scene than we will ever be privy to....now I'm off to get food on the table...at least I don't have to kill something to do it!

Willow Bailey
20603
Willow Bailey 09/02/12 - 12:00 pm
Absolutely, LL, what Freddie

Absolutely, LL, what Freddie has promised to do is HIS job. What a novel idea!

Willow Bailey
20603
Willow Bailey 09/02/12 - 12:04 pm
Hi, Patty P, drop me a note.

Hi, Patty P, drop me a note. I'm interested in your view and we also need to catch up.

Willow Bailey
20603
Willow Bailey 09/02/12 - 01:27 pm
Sheriff's should focus their

Sheriff's should focus their attention on their responsibilities which are to manage, budget, lead, mentor, recruit, educate, train, encourage and hold accountable those who are in the department and of course see that the laws are enforced. That's exactly what Freddie Sanders has said that he will do...

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 09/02/12 - 12:23 pm
Sylvia!

Sylvia, you say that you and your husband went to see 2016 and everyone in the theater was older than dirt. Well, I must say you don't look it. BTW, I saw it, but apparently not the same day you did, because I'm not older than dirt, nor do I look it.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 09/02/12 - 12:51 pm
Jake

To honor Jake's French heritage (he mentioned it today in a loving post on the R&R thread), I bring up the use of the accent (both grave and acute) over the e :

è é

Patty-P
Patty-P 09/02/12 - 12:53 pm
Willow...

Will do.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 09/02/12 - 12:54 pm
another word

Here's another French word with an accent that I use here occasionally:

Voilá

Sometimes I italicize it:

Voilá

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 09/02/12 - 01:28 pm
Elephant Jokes

Do you remember them? Here is one I remember from the seventh grade:

What did the Frenchman say when he saw two elephants walking down the path?

Voilá les éléphantes down the path.

Willow Bailey
20603
Willow Bailey 09/02/12 - 01:31 pm
I have a Voila translation,

I have a Voila translation, also; though can't be shared here:).

SemperParatus
SemperParatus 09/02/12 - 04:26 pm
Augusta Country Club

I have spoken to five members of long standing at the Augusta Country Club and none are aware that any of our sheriffs have been members or honorary members of the Club. It is possible, however, that our sheriffs have been present at the Club but as the guests of members.

SemperParatus
SemperParatus 09/02/12 - 04:35 pm
Community policing means what exactly?

Can someone please provide a genuine definition of the term "community policing"? And by all means reference your source as I can't find anything about it other than on "discussion boards" on the Internet. Thanks in advance.

rebellious
rebellious 09/02/12 - 07:13 pm
Semper Paratus

I apologize if I am in error. Also if I offended any other posters, as evidently I have janderson, I apologize. I am thinking to exercise a self imposed 1 week restriction from these boards.

Georgia Regents' hospital plan chosen