Sylvia Cooper

City Ink columnist and correspondent for The Augusta Chronicle.

City Ink: Scott Peebles alienates his Republican supporters

What do Latasha Nicole Moore and Scott Peebles’ Repub­lican supporters have in common?

They want their votes back.

Moore claims she’s got four coming to her because she was promised a car if she’d get four people to vote for Democratic sheriff’s candidate Richard Roundtree. Many Republicans who crossed party lines to vote for Peebles and donated money, not to mention time and effort, wish they could get their votes and a refund now that Peebles has endorsed Roundtree.

Peebles’ campaign manager, Lewis Blanchard, has jumped on the Roundtree bandwagon with Peebles.

“After much thought, prayer and discussion, it is my intention to help and support Richard Roundtree in his campaign to be the next sheriff of Richmond Coun­ty,” Blanchard posted on his Face­book page Friday. “If you have not had the opportunity to hear directly from Richard, I will be hosting an event for him in the near future.”

I can’t imagine it will be the same crowd that attended the other parties Blanchard threw for Peebles. Many of them are as mad as hell.

ARE THERE ANY QUESTIONS? Pee­bles announced his support for Roundtree in a news release that ended with, “This is all I will have to say publicly about the race for sheriff. No further statements or interviews will be conducted and no further comment will be made.”

It’s just as well he didn’t hold a news conference. It would have gone something like this:

Reporter: Capt. Peebles, did Lt. Roundtree promise to promote you to major for endorsing him?

Peebles: No comment.

Reporter: Capt. Peebles, did Lt. Roundtree promise your campaign manager a job in the sheriff’s office if he’d support him, too?

Peebles: No comment.

Reporter: Capt. Peebles, if Lt. Roundtree didn’t promise you a new title for endorsing him, why didn’t you just keep quiet and not make the people who worked so hard for you want to wring your neck?

Peebles: No comment.

Reporter: Capt. Peebles, did you decide to endorse Lt. Roundtree to pay Sheriff Ronnie Strength back for not endorsing you before the primary?

Peebles: No comment.

Reporter: Capt. Peebles, now that you’ve endorsed Lt. Roundtree do you regret all those bad things you said about him before the election?

Peebles: No comment. Now that I’ve answered all of your questions, I’m going to cut this off. Thank you for coming.

DO WE BUILD ON A PLATFORM OR ON A FOUNDATION? In his written statement, Peebles said his and Roundtree’s fundamental ideas regarding the direction of law enforcement are nearly identical. Augusta Commission member Joe Bowles agreed and said anyone who supported Peebles based on his platform has no reason not to support Roundtree.

“Their platforms are identical,” he said. “The best question is, why aren’t all of Scott Peebles’ supporters lining up behind Roundtree? They both want community policing and both believe in technical advances to benefit police officers. And they both believe in a citizen advisory board.”

No, Joe, the best question is, “Would you trust this man with your wife?”

Bowles, a Republican with liber­tarian leanings or vice versa, voted for Peebles. He said he hasn’t endorsed Roundtree because he doesn’t know whether he can endorse two Democrats in one year.

“My last Democrat vote was 20 years ago when I voted for Bill Clinton,” he said.

VOTES FOR CLUNKERS: Moore told investigators that a used-car lot owner approached her at a Roundtree event and promised to give her a car if she got four other people to vote for Roundtree. She said she got four people to vote but that U Wanna Ride owner Jerry Lee Jor­dan refused to honor the supposed compact. So Moore called the law and said, “I want my vote back.” The case was turned over to the secretary of state’s office.

Jordan’s wife, Cushena, took to the airwaves to declare, “This girl is crazy,” and said she and her husband want to take lie detector tests and want Moore prosecuted. Moore also wants to take a lie detector test, so I hear. I also hear the case is more than “he said, she said,” and that the police have text messages between Jordan and Moore. I don’t know about Moore’s mental state, but she’s been to an institution quite a few times in her 23 years, that being the Richmond County jail, according to police records. The last two times were 2010, once on a charge of contributing to the delinquency of a minor and once for disorderly conduct.

There might be a credibility issue there.

DON’T MOVE THE BUS, THROW HER UNDER IT: Oh, what a surprise! Augusta’s Human Resources Depart­ment is undergoing an extreme makeover.

Dr. Malik Watkins from the Carl Vinson Institute of Govern­ment has analyzed the situation to include a survey and identified five top issues: poor customer service, unresponsiveness, lack of knowledge, lack of concern and understaffing. (Of course, what else does government always come up with to excuse sorry performance?)

Keep in mind this is the same department that investigated a disgruntled former employee’s allegations that recreation department operations manager Melinda Pearson had taken time off she wasn’t entitled to, which was one big fat lie. She had the time coming and the proof. The administration just wanted to get rid of Recreation Director Tom Beck, who signed off on her time card, and used the situation at hand to do it. She was just collateral damage.

So Deputy Director Bill Shanahan volunteered her personnel file to the media, which hadn’t even requested it, in an effort to discredit her. She was demoted to a manual labor position after 29 years with the government, where she was known as one of the hardest-working people in the recreation department.

Shortly after assuming her new duties, which included laying tile, bricks, climbing ladders and painting, she was injured on the job, which exacerbated a serious neck injury that had sidelined her for eight months in 2004. She got a good lawyer and filed for workers’ compensation, which made them mad.

ANOTHER HATCHET JOB: Now in an effort to further discredit Pearson, someone leaked one page of her workers’ compensation application to a TV reporter, who went on air last week waving it around and suggesting she’s guilty of workers’ compensation fraud. The reporter had shown the document to Bowles, who said from what he was looking at somebody made an error or “flat out tried to cover something up.”

The next day, Bowles called the news story “bogus.”

“Based on what I’ve heard from lawyer Jack Batson today, he’s looking at one page of documents, and that’s not the entire story,” Bowles said. “Based on the paperwork, Melinda Pearson did absolutely nothing wrong. Somebody did something wrong. I predicated everything I said by that one page he showed me. It’s another hatchet job by the media.”

So why hasn’t City Ad­min­is­trator Fred Russell stepped up and notified the TV station that it has aired bogus information damaging to Pearson and clear her name instead of letting the segment run over and over? Because he also commented on air about the application, why hasn’t he gone on air to personally repudiate the allegations?

BUT CAN WE REMEMBER IN NOVEMBER: Ernie and I went to see the movie 2016: Obama’s America. Everybody in the theater was older than dirt. When we got out, Ernie said it was like watching a movie on a tour bus. He said he kept expecting his hair to turn blue.

Riverman1
Riverman1 09/01/12 - 06:17 pm
After all They KNOW the Same People

After all Peebles and Roundtree did KNOW some of the same people at the RCSO. Amen.

Riverman1
Riverman1 09/01/12 - 05:41 pm
So How Will The AC Spin This?

The Chronicle has used unlimited ink telling us Roundtree would destroy Richmond County and that Peebles was the man with integrity. I REALLY want to hear how you will spin this now that your man is telling us what a great guy Richard Roundtree is.

By the way...told you so about Blanchard. What a great guy. Ha. Look for a job in return for all the upcoming parties, etc.

Mr. Roundtree, if you trust Peebles and Blanchard you are making a big mistake. They will stab you in the back. They have already started the deception with this lukewarm endorsement. You saw their tactics during the campaigns. Do the same thing to them and don't give them ANYTHING if you become Sheriff. Turn about is fair play.

I'm sure Mr. and Mrs. Strength feel vindicated.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 09/01/12 - 05:43 pm
Dumb Headline

The headline at 5:43 on on Saturday afternoon reads, “Scott Peebles alienates his Republican supporters.” Duh. That's kind of like “Man Bites Dog.” Peebles is a democrat.

Democrat alienates Republicans

Maybe an editor will re-write the headline tonight.

rebellious
rebellious 09/01/12 - 06:07 pm
Who wrote this

and what have you done with Sylvia? Can not be the same writer I have been reading for the last 4 weeks. Geritol? Welcome back from the coma, Sylvia. Nice to see you hitting hard again.

gargoyle
gargoyle 09/01/12 - 06:16 pm
After all is said and done I

After all is said and done I feel vindicated saying to friends that I could not vote for Team Blanchard/Peebles because things didn't smell right. The motives just didn't add up.Now that horses have been switched where are they going and why are they trying to get there.

rebellious
rebellious 09/01/12 - 06:18 pm
Firing synapses

Who made the motion to dismiss Tom Beck? Any guesses?

“Peebles announced his support for Roundtree in a news release that ended with, “This is all I will have to say publicly about the race for sheriff. No further statements or interviews will be conducted and no further comment will be made.””
Is it me, or does that sound very similar to Forrest Gump’s “And that’s all I got to say about that”?

Would John Ivey give the polygraph test for Jordan and Moore, or would it be McDaniel? Just asking.

And finally, just because you are paranoid doesn’t mean the rascals aren’t out to get you.

SemperParatus
SemperParatus 09/01/12 - 06:48 pm
Very disappointed and offended...

I forfeited my ability to vote in the Republican primary for our next Congressman in the 12th district of GA in order to support Scott Peebles on the Democrat ticket. And now he endorses Richard Roundtree? This is a slap in my GOP face and I do not appreciate it one bit. Today I received an "invitation" in the mail to a Roundtree event to be held at Lewis Blanchard's Foundation Club. Thanks but no thanks. And what really irritates me about this is that the mailing label used for the Roundtree event has the same typographical error on it that Peebles' labels did. Peebles turned over my mailing labels to Roundtree! Oh, and there was no return address printed on this latest invitation. Of course not! Putting Roundtree's name and address on invitations to Republicans would surely cause them to go straight to the trash can - unopened.

useful
useful 09/01/12 - 06:47 pm
I hope scott peebles get

I hope scott peebles get whatever he has been promised for selling out.

nocnoc
nocnoc 02/20/13 - 02:31 pm
.........

...........

Jake
Jake 09/01/12 - 07:06 pm
Last paragraph: Blue Hair

Now that was just plain flat-out funny. I have seen those people before and they usually have heavy blue mascara to go with it.

rmwardsr
rmwardsr 09/01/12 - 07:12 pm
Well, for starters, there is

Well, for starters, there is a paycheck to think about. And all that law enforcement education should not be let go to waste. In my opinion, Scott Peebles is looking out for himself. I am white, and I once had a black supervisor whom I thought I got along very well with. But one day he showed up out of the blue, and basically he threw me under the bus while at the same time hittitng the accelerator and stopping long enough to leave tire marks on my back. So Scott Peebles is doing the right thing by covering his own a--, because if this Sheriff's election is really about race, he will be the one on road patrol soon enough after Roundtree is elected. Or, there may be an ulterior motive here. If Scott Peebles has made his Republican supporters mad, and certainly they will have no reason to vote Democrat with a presidential election at stake, the whole thing may work out just as he planned. Can anyone say Sheriff Sanders?

palmetto1008
palmetto1008 09/01/12 - 07:13 pm
I'm still waiting for Mr.

I'm still waiting for Mr. Sanders vision, goals, and strategies for his role as sheriff. Anyone seen any ...no one seems to be able to answer that question. His website focuses on his fund raisers and how to help in his campaign. He has yet to articulate his platform. Based on that, I assume he will continue to be an empty suit as sheriff.

janderson1945
1903
janderson1945 09/01/12 - 07:21 pm
Captain Peebles reached out

Captain Peebles reached out to everyone to bring community policing and accreditation to an agency that is in great need. If you attended any events there should be no doubt whom he would support as Lt. Roundtree brings the same ideas for the Sheriff’s Office to the table. He could have been like the Sheriff or the other candidates and kept his opinion to himself but instead he decided to do as a leader should do, even against the opinion of some and back the candidate that has the same goals for the agency as him. Mr. Sanders has made it clear he does not agree with any of the proposed improvements from Peebles or Roundtree and would prefer we go back to the old way of policing. As of now, I am not sure which way to cast my vote but I will go again and hear what each has to say.

kissofdeath
kissofdeath 09/01/12 - 07:54 pm
Right - wing Chronicle's

Right - wing Chronicle's editors just can't let it go, we got a black sheriff on the ballot for November. I don't think four votes will make a different, but Moore you can have them back, anybody else speak now or forever hold your peace. I will use that car he promised you to drive and cast my vote on November.

Riverman1
Riverman1 09/01/12 - 07:58 pm
Integrity and Honesty, Gone With the Wind

Words like integrity and honesty are now not in the conversation. It's now okay to cover your...self.

JAnderson, what do you mean Sheriff Strength is not backing anyone? He is strongly supporting Freddie Sanders. Supposedly, there was a directive that RCSO employees were not supposed to campaign for anyone, however. But with Peebles backing Tree, who knows?

Riverman1
Riverman1 09/01/12 - 07:59 pm
Lt. Roundtree

Lt. Roundtree, do not trust Peebles and Blanchard. You will be sorry.

SemperParatus
SemperParatus 09/01/12 - 08:31 pm

Riverman1
Riverman1 09/01/12 - 08:14 pm
SemperParatus, that's the

SemperParatus, that's the kind of thing(s) we can't go into here. Others have said the same things. Sylvia brings him up here, too. I could be wrong, but I don't think he was even actually the official campaign manager.

SemperParatus
SemperParatus 09/01/12 - 08:31 pm

Conservative Man
Conservative Man 09/01/12 - 08:31 pm
I liked Scott for Sheriff,

...but not enough to ask for a Democratic ballot. From what I know of Scott he's no more a Democrat than I am, but he played a numbers game hoping to garner enough support within the minority community by running as a Democrat. Not counting on Roundtree to do as well as he did nor expecting Ronnie to stand on the sidelines... He played a political numbers game and it came back to bite him...I TOTALLY disagree with Joe Bowles..Their platforms may be similar but Scott and Richard are nothing alike...I believed Scott was the man for the job...but we ALL know, the right man doesn't always GET the job....I'm for Freddie now.....

rebellious
rebellious 09/01/12 - 08:51 pm
The sitting Sheriff

has a complimentary membership to the Augusta Country Club. I would love to be a fly on the wall when the white limo rolls up, and Mr. Sheriff waltz's up in the clubhouse. Maybe with a boombox playing the theme from Shaft.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 09/01/12 - 09:29 pm
Government Employees

Government employees are not allowed to campaign for anyone when they are on duty at work. But they can campaign in their off-duty hours. One of the questions asked and still unanswered is whether Richard Roundtree has been collecting his school system salary while he was out campaigning during the day and during the night. There are serious ethical questions there. Do you think he will return his salary when they check the time clocks and the text messages and the telephone calls?

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 09/01/12 - 10:09 pm
Patience

Riverman1 posted:

I REALLY want to hear how you (i.e., The Augusta Chronicle Editorial Staff – LL) will spin this now that your man is telling us what a great guy Richard Roundtree is.

You must have patience, Riverman. ACES will publish their endorsement in late October.

fishman960
fishman960 09/01/12 - 10:33 pm
Voting

While having a spirited debate with Riverman on the runoff he said this
"fish, vote your heart. That's all anyone can ask".
I have been wrong before and I will most likely be wrong again.

janderson1945
1903
janderson1945 09/01/12 - 10:57 pm
River, you are correct, he is

River, you are correct, he is now but he didn't before when we knew who the six candidates were. His first choice was Peebles now it is Sanders because as he said, they are friends - not what I would call a real endorsement on his ability. Look, our family is republican, we went with Peebles for the direction he planned on taking the agency and now it appears only Roundtree agrees with that direction so I totally understand Peebles' endorsement but neither he nor the Sheriff will change my vote, only the candidates. I am not decided as of yet would like to hear what Mr. Sanders now has to say. I am confused though by many of your other posts where you have said this community needs community policing and that having a black Sheriff would solve many problems and be great for the area because Sanders is neither of these. My main problem with Sanders is that he hasn't given me any reasons to support him. I also belive as others have stated, the axe you are trying to grind is worn out and does nothing to help make this community better or show proper support for any candidate. We will attend the forums and if Sanders gives me good reason to support him then my vote will probably go that way but not from what I have heard him say thus far.

janderson1945
1903
janderson1945 09/01/12 - 11:00 pm
Rebellious, comments such as

Rebellious, comments such as yours and others is exactly why Augusta is the way it is today. Until we move beyond such petty thinking and statements that are continually posted on this board, we will not succeed as a community.

Willow Bailey
20603
Willow Bailey 09/01/12 - 11:53 pm
It is not Roundtree's

It is not Roundtree's policing ideas that so many find distasteful; but rather his lack of character, self control, appropriate boundaries, management experience and organizational and social skills. If elected, he will surely find himself in circumstances beyond his abilities. On the other hand, Sanders has done well in everything that he has set his mind to; can get the job done and will not be a risk of embarrassment to the department or community.

rebellious
rebellious 09/02/12 - 12:17 am
janderson

I debate, from posting to posting, whether I am being negative or not. Whether I am just an angry taxpaying conservative, or being, as they say, "real". I argue more with myself than I do with the posters on this site about the content and intent of what I write. I took to heart an email received from Karyn Nixon regarding the impact of negative local Newspaper postings, even copied and posted it to this forum last night to enlist comments. Each and every post I make has been debated between the voices in my head, and generally is designed to provoke a response. Sometimes those responses are expected from frequent posters like yourself. Sometimes those responses are desired by the voyuers who quietly watch what we write in post and response, without posting themselves. What I posted is fact. The Candidate arrived for his announcement in a limo and wearing white gloves. The Augusta Country Club has extended this membership courtesy in the past, and to stop now if a certain individual is elected would be scandelous. I want those people to think about the total impact of their vote, and prior to that, their contributions. Not because of one candidate's skins color, but because of the content of his character as Dr King verbalized in his famous speech. One candidates character lapses have been documented as violations of rules and morals.

I usually do not address detractors directly, and this may be the last time, but too much is at stake not to truthfully disclose all that will happen should one candidate be elected over another.

Petty? I think not. And I will stand by that position.

greggarn
greggarn 09/02/12 - 01:35 am
Willow Bailey's Comment

Since you know Sanders so well, please tell us all what his ideas are when he wins the sheriff position... I guess you are one of the fortunate ones, because no one else has heard any.

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/02/12 - 06:36 am
About Sanders

If you are really interested why not go to his web site....ck the dates for events & find out for yourself.....I'm not tying to change a mind......everyone can figure this out.....if you like him --vote for him...if not.....do whatever makes YOU happy..
He is a true Republican voice ....he said that from the beginning...I myself will help him in every way I can.