Sylvia Cooper

City Ink columnist and correspondent for The Augusta Chronicle.

Working in circus, with its Bozos, Russell will get hook

The week ended, and I don't know which was lower, everybody's 401(k) or City Administrator Fred Russell . Both took a dive.

Russell, as you know, is on the firing line for giving 44 city employees raises during a budget crisis. And, as you also know, Commissioners Alvin Mason and Bill Lockett have called for Russell's resignation. Mason is even naming possible interim administrators for after the board fires Russell, which Mason says he has the votes to do.

Others say he doesn't. Not yet.

But it's coming, sooner or later, because the shelf life of city managers in the storehouse of egos is three years, and Russell has already outlived his.

Mason and Lockett, along with Commissioners J.R. Hatney and Corey Johnson, are now looking like visionaries for their resistance to the personnel manual that gave Russell the authority to grant raises up to 15 percent without commission approval.

I TOLD YOU SO: "I expected it," said Johnson. "I said it from day one. We didn't need to give Fred that kind of authority. The reorganization gave him more power. He basically used some very poor judgment."

Hatney said, "This is the same thing I was trying to caution our folks about when the personnel manual gave him that power. They said it took six votes to pass it. I said it took eight."

The six white commissioners who approved the manual over Mason's, Lockett's, Johnson's and Hatney's vociferous objections feel like somebody jerked the rug from under their feet.

"No doubt I feel betrayed," said Commissioner Joe Bowles . "We put a lot of faith in Fred to do a reduction in force, but it was just a reshuffling of force. We supposedly go from laying 49 people off to laying two people off. Local government is like the federal government, an employment agency."

Bowles said he feels that Russell has been playing both sides of the fence, telling the white commissioners he's reducing the force, while transferring them into other jobs to placate Lockett who was screaming he didn't want anybody to lose a job.

"That didn't save a damn dime," Bowles said.

"It's like a shell game. I know it's hard for a Democrat to fire somebody," he added, referring to Russell.

THEY SAID. HE SAID. EITHER WAY YOU PAY: Russell, meanwhile, says they'll have to fire him because he did what they told him to do, which was to:

- Streamline the government and make it more efficient

- Not raise taxes

- Update the personnel manual

Besides, if they fire him, he'll walk away with at least six months' pay and possibly more.

In his defense, he repeatedly asked commissioners in public meetings whether they wanted him to proceed with the reorganization, and a majority said yes, although Mason kept insisting he show them by position where the savings would be. When Russell initially outlined the proposed reorganization in January he talked about it for 2 1/2 hours, for which he was criticized by Mason for speaking "ad nauseum."

In March, Russell distributed 21 pages of a 200-page document spelling out details and waded through it with a power-point presentation.

SPOKEN LIKE A PROPHET: "If we can't find consensus on what direction we're going in, we're in for a very miserable six to eight months, and probably a couple of years after that," Russell said at that meeting.

FROM WALKING A TIGHTROPE TO WALKING THE PLANK: On Tuesday, Mason and Lockett demanded specifics about raises for department directors, including the justification. Russell said he'd given 15 percent raises to four department directors who'd assumed additional duties. But he failed to mention approving raises for 40 other employees. When commissioners found out, they were furious and accused him of not being up front with them.

Russell said he answered the questions they asked him and was told at least twice to keep the answers short, which is true. And who can blame him for clamming up in the face of such badgering?

Anyway, commissioners will meet Tuesday to discuss "personnel," a euphemism for what could be Russell's necktie party. They're also supposed to talk about rescinding the raises, which they can't legally do.

WON'T SOMEBODY PLEASE HELP THEM SCRAPE THE EGG OFF THEIR FACES? Late Friday, white commissioners were saying they shouldn't do anything rash because of the budget. They also don't want to do anything rash because they resent Mason going out on his own to call for the resignation.

"You can rest assured, we ain't going to do nothing until we have a game plan," said Commissioner Jerry Brigham .

Rankled by the furor the raises have created and the critics coming out of the woodwork to blast one and all, Brigham said, "They all have all the answers, but I don't see them stepping up to the plate and qualifying to run and trying to help."

(Well, Jerry, in case you don't already know, everybody knows how to run a government and coach a football team.)

Commissioner Wayne Guilfoyle said he's waiting until Tuesday before making a decision on how he'd vote on a motion to fire Russell.

"If we do a knee-jerk reaction and fire him, and we don't get anybody strong, we could end up in worse shape than we are in now," he said. "But believe me, we are looking."

One thing everybody does agree on is that the timing couldn't have been worse.

"It's sad," said Commissioner Grady Smith . "It's an unpopular thing for some people to get raises and others not. If I did that in my business, it would cause dissension. And with dissension among the troops, you've got chaos."

IF EVER OH EVER A WIZ THERE WAS: I believe that Russell is honest, capable, diligent and dedicated. He's just tight-lipped. It must be his Dick Tracy background. And while he might not have gotten out front and sold his reorganization plan adequately after that first try, he has done many good things during his six years as administrator.

Richmond County property taxes are lower now than they were three years ago. There's money in the savings account, no general fund debt and sales-tax projects are moving right along.

Russell has overseen the construction of a judicial center, a new library, several new fire stations, a new animal control building, the TEE Center and parking deck, improvements to the water system, expansions at the airport and Webster Detention Center and initial construction on the new sheriff's administration building. So far, all have been under budget and on time.

In addition, he's managed for seven years to keep commissioners relatively happy, including Marion Williams , who made the motion to hire him and later a motion to fire him.

Some folks took exception to Russell's reference last week to managing the circus. But it's obvious city managers walk among lions, tigers, bears -- and some real Bozos. Sometimes all you can say is "Oh my," like Dorothy in The Wizard of Oz .

I'M NOT SAYIN', I'M JUST SAYIN': Ernie likes to talk to the TV. At least to the people who are talking on TV. Sometimes he agrees with what they say. Sometimes, he doesn't. When he agrees, he'll say something like, "That's what I've been saying!" When he doesn't, he'll say "That's a lie" or "You don't know what you're talking about!" and flip the channel.

When he starts getting on my nerves, I tell him to stop because I can't hear what the next person is saying. Sometimes he does. Sometimes he doesn't, in which case, I go to the bedroom and read. So when the Republican candidates' debate came on Thursday and he started saying things like "Ron Paul is crazier than I am," and "Mitt Romney is weaker than McCain," I went to bed.

Friday morning I asked him who won the debate, and he said, "I did!"

Then my cellphone rang, and he said, "You'd better get that. It's probably the chamber of commerce wanting to invite you for lunch. My advice is 'Don't eat the food.' " (See last week's column.)

Oh, by the way, Augusta ranked way up there in yet another national ranking -- third in the top 15 most dangerous cities for driving.

Reach Sylvia Cooper at sylvia.cooper@augustachronicle.com.

Insider Information
Insider Information 08/13/11 - 10:52 pm
If your money-saving

If your money-saving reorganization plan wastes a few bucks, they want to fire you as city administrator.

If your money-saving reorganization plan wastes a lot of bucks, they want to hire you as a consultant.

404Law
404Law 08/13/11 - 11:00 pm
THE BLACK COMMISSIONERS CAN’T

THE BLACK COMMISSIONERS CAN’T GET A BREAK…A few months ago, Sylvia criticized Lockett and Mason for obstructing government; being the party of no; standing in the way of progress; preventing the city from saving millions of dollars; beholden to the old racial ways of the Charter. Now that we are discovering that they (Lockett, especially) were, in fact, prescient in that they were right that granting the administrator (at one point, exclusive) power would lead to abuses; Sylvia characterizes Lockett and Mason as curmudgeons; obstinate; firebrands of sort, who are intent on character assassination and eroding good (ole boy) government. Get real Sylvia.

YOUR ATTEMPT TO PORTRAY the African American commissioners as circus clowns (and, some may go as far as to say you characterize them as our less civilized cousins – use your imagination) – and Fred as the ringleader – is sad and pathetic and borders disgraceful.

YOUR IDEAS ARE OF A DIFFERENT ERA SYLVIA. How about that second or third retirement?

404Law
404Law 08/13/11 - 11:18 pm
ONE MORE THING…my friends

ONE MORE THING…my friends tell me that you don’t read the comments in response to your column. I beg to differ, because much of what you write has already been hashed out during the week on this comment board (down to the phraseology). Even more, much of what your write is less sophisticated than what is posted, but costs more to print (in the paper).

I HAVE AN IDEA. I want to extend a guest Sunday column to Brad Owens. The next week to Autumn Leaves. Then, Taylor B. Then AsItIsInAugusta. Then, Insider Information. Then, Little Lamb. Then, Emerydan. Then, Countyman. We don’t always agree, but I have to give them their props for their critical insight on issues.

OKAY…I’m done (for real this time).

cityman
cityman 08/13/11 - 11:39 pm
My 404Law...are we bitter?

My 404Law...are we bitter?

Riverman1
Riverman1 08/13/11 - 11:45 pm
404Law, I've been a critic of

404Law, I've been a critic of Sylvia in the past especially when she said she didn't read the comments. But now it's time for me to take up for her. Her clawing leaves some deep marks when she attacks Mayor Copenhaver-Boardman's constant bragging about Augusta when the facts are much different. Also, don't forget she wore green with the other critics to the Commission meeting in support of those who want to keep Lake Olmstead Stadium. That was a direct and obvious confrontation with the cabal.

In this case, she is right again. Everyone is mad at Russell including you and my other friends here, but he is simply a scapegoat in an impossible situation. He will be fired and the fall into the abyss will only be accelerated. The best thing to happen to Richmond County this week was part of it going to a State House District with Columbia County.

cityman
cityman 08/14/11 - 12:19 am
404Law, "YOUR ATTEMPT TO

404Law, "YOUR ATTEMPT TO PORTRAY the African American commissioners as circus clowns (and, some may go as far as to say you characterize them as our less civilized cousins – use your imagination) – and Fred as the ringleader – is sad and pathetic and borders disgraceful"
I don't see where Sylvia portrays black commissioners as circus clowns. Where...did I miss something?
Be careful about saying that someone ideas are from "another era." This is pure ageism. Anyone who is older than some benefits from having lived through a different time period but they are not FROM it. What age are you 404Law? Ageism is very offensive: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ageism

Riverman1
Riverman1 08/13/11 - 11:56 pm
Does anyone ever consider the

Does anyone ever consider the obvious? We have a majority black county ruled by a white mayor, 6 white commissioners, a white sheriff and a white administrator. It's a transition period that some are trying to prolong. It won't work.

404Law
404Law 08/14/11 - 12:01 am
AH YES…Riverman1. First, let

AH YES…Riverman1. First, let me apologize for unintentionally excluding your from my esteemed list of guest Sunday columnists. It was an oversight, indeed (seriously). I have always appreciated your responses; including this most recent comment.

SPEAKING OF OVERSIGHT. I respectfully disagree that Fred is a scapegoat. He worked hand-in-glove with the legal department to carefully craft his new duties. He counted the Commission votes several times (it’s on the record). He knew what he wanted; and, in some large way, he got it from the “Gang of Six” (to borrow Brad’s terminology) and the legal department. Now, the house is crumbling. A house built on six or eight points (votes)?!?! I will always choose eight points.

REGARDING SYLVIA… Lest we consider the messenger apart from the message…

404Law
404Law 08/14/11 - 12:10 am
OH BROTHER…Cityman. Are you

OH BROTHER…Cityman. Are you going to flag my comment because of what you perceive as ageism? Wow.. Hmm… Okay… Let’s see… I think what I meant was that her ideas were/are from a different era. Oh well...Cheers, my friend :)

cityman
cityman 08/14/11 - 12:11 am
Riverman1, Could it be that

Riverman1, Could it be that the reason for all of the crime tolerance is because we have all of those whites running the show? Maybe Augusta would be better off with totally black leadership. I am sure willing to see because as it stands now this county is in a mess and the mess is caused by the misbehavior of its citizens. If black leadership can cut the current crime rate by 75% Augusta would be a lovley place to live!......404Law...I don't do flagging. I don't do petty censorship.

Taylor B
Taylor B 08/14/11 - 12:10 am
404, thank you for your kind

404, thank you for your kind words. It is what it is. If the chronicle wants me to write a column, they have my info. Although I am just a lowly wrench turner and occasional "puddin stick" I know my place. Id love to write for such a reputable publication such as the Augusta Chronicle. They have my info. I can use big words and everything.

Riverman1
Riverman1 08/14/11 - 12:11 am
The Commission fired the last

The Commission fired the last two administrators who were both superb and much better than Russell. We got him when they couldn't find another administrator to take the job. I feel Mason generally does a good job and he may be right about Russell being incompetent or whatever else he said, but if anyone thinks we are going to do any better they may be in for a surprise.

Russell did try to keep all the Commissioners happy. If the Commission, with its current majority, chooses the next administrator, he could be given a clear message by the same majority NOT to keep everyone happy. You know who will get left out.

404Law
404Law 08/14/11 - 12:15 am
OH I SEE CITYMAN…White man’s

OH I SEE CITYMAN…White man’s burden, huh? I think I’ll come back in the morning when we can get some more reflective and critical commentary. I see what I’m dealing with tonight. Why did I skip that outing tonight!??! :(

Riverman1
Riverman1 08/14/11 - 12:18 am
Cityman, well the obvious

Cityman, well the obvious example is the sheriff. I do believe a black sheriff could go among the people, initiate community policing and generally be more concerned and effective. Now we have Strength and his spokesmen saying they only kill each other. We are all Harrisburgers in this war against violence and crime in Augusta if you know what I mean.

cityman
cityman 08/14/11 - 01:12 am
404Law...Please...not "white

404Law...Please...not "white mans burden"...What I plainly stated was maybe the black leaders can clean up this mess. The white leaders have not!
It is everyones burden but reguardless of whos burden it is...The FIX ..IT AIN'T A WORKIN. CRIME IS THROUGH THE ROOF. I WOULD BE HAPPY WITH ANY CHANGE THAT CUTS CRIME BY 75% so that Augusta would be a desirable residental destination. I am tired of living in a cest pool!

cityman
cityman 08/14/11 - 01:06 am
Riverman1, That new

Riverman1, That new Waynesboro police chief seems to be making progress. He is black. Maybe we can get him to move to Augusta and run for sheriff! Dang...400Law seems to take everything said as being black negative. Why?

404Law
404Law 08/14/11 - 03:33 am
THE SO-CALLED BLACK

THE SO-CALLED BLACK COMMISSIONERS CAN’T WIN FOR LOSING (PART II)…Yes, I have a chip on my shoulder this evening (as it relates to Sylvia’s latest). Sorry. Just give me this one day to vent folks. On several occasions, she, as well as Bowles, called the so-called black commissioners “paranoid” about the city’s reorganization plan. They criticized Lockett and Mason for “obsessing” over the details of the proposed reorganization. Sylvia (and the AC editorial staff) lambasted them Sunday after Sunday after Sunday…one mischaracterization after the next. She played up the race card (just like I am trying my best to do tonight).

AND BEHOLD…We discover that Fred was less than genuine (I am not going to say dishonest). We now know that a couple of commissioners were scrambling to get their stories straight in deposition (for 2.5 hours, really?!?). And, we learn that the Gang of Six has softened their stance in terms of language of the reorganization. All this, and Sylvia chooses still to castigate the so-called black commissioners. She referred to them as bozos. And Joe Bowles…she quotes him like he is some sage. He is a principal architect of this mess. Sorry Joe. But, you are.

I AM SO, SO, SO…disappointed; annoyed; and frustrated. But, not surprised. A few weeks ago, I wrote how Sylvia is intent on the “ways of things.” That is, despite how intelligent; how compassionate; how considerate; how (any synonym you choose) an African American elected official is, she will always find a way to write the most pejorative stuff about them. Yeah, yeah, yeah, she writes about the Boy King. But seriously, that does not compare to what she says about the so-called black commissioners on a weekly basis (with the exception of the good reverend – she hesitates, I can tell, to cross that line).

FOR JUST ONE DAY (HOW I WOULD LOVE FOR IT TO BE A SUNDAY)…I want to read a column in the Chronicle that is critical, comprehensive, and balanced. I guess that will mean Susan McCord will get a 15% pay raise, because she’ll have expanded duties. Fred (what me worry?), no offence.

Oh well, I guess the Chronicle is happy about the number of hits to their site tonight. Geez…now, I can’t win for losing.

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 08/14/11 - 07:07 am
404law, Thanks for the kind

404law,

Thanks for the kind words, and I agree that we have some smart and well informed folks on here.

This will be a bit of a long reply, but your words have motivated me this morning.

They would never publish anything I write, it has been years since they did and I understand that the ACES doesn't care for me at all. Thinks I am some sort of self-promoting something or other.

I guess they think I am promoting myself or something for a personal gain. I guess they think I am going to try to message myself into power in Augusta? That is very funny given all the free ink they give certain folks what actually ARE promoting themselves and self-serving agendas. I digress.

I think that is pretty funny. If I were going to return to Augusta and politics (which is not likely anytime soon) it would be with my own money to buy the outlets (ads, radio, TV etc.) I needed to get my message out, I would not need a "free forum" or their Sunday news pages.

But then again, that is the way the CABAL operates, they use other people's money while hoarding their profits at our expense. The publisher of this paper being the number ONE corporate welfare recipient of tax dollars in our city, so you can't blame them for their cynical view of my motivations now can you?

I guess they figure it is impossible that someone would actually want to change the community for the better without making a personal profit. Novel idea I know, but one that seems to be growing given the obvious lack of real leadership out there on most any issue facing the community.

Also, they don’t like my brash tell it like it is style, they consider me uneducated, paranoid, and vulgar (they are right), but I do know a thing or two about corruption, nepotism, cronyism and rascalism in my hometown.

I was a witness to years of greed, deception and abuse of power. I saw firsthand how the CABAL manipulates public opinion, exploits the working class and always seems to get everything they want at the expense of the people’s needs. It was disgusting and decided to fight instead of swim in the cesspool with them.

So if that makes me a “Political Gadfly” then so be it, but I know where my heart is and I know that there is growing awareness and opposition to the CABAL running Augusta out there. The next election cycle will make Augusta’s leadership circles look much different my friend and I, for one, will be glad.

RM1, is 100% correct, Augusta reminds me of Rhodesia under UDI, a white minority ruling the black majority. They fought for 15 years to maintain that status, yet in the end it did not go their way, and Zimbabwe was saddled with Mugabe because of their white minority’s unwillingness to peacefully and fairly cede power. What we are seeing is the last gasp of air from a formerly dominant culture before the “correction in the market” as a broker might say.

It should be noted that no dominate culture in any society throughout history has willingly or peacefully surrendered power to an emerging one.

I mean do you think that it is a coincidence that certain neighborhoods have cops who will chase down folks stealing less than $3.00 from a fountain, yet Easy Boundary is haven for crime?

No 404law, they won’t publish anything I write because I am a “radical” a self-promoter just out to be “known” but we all know the real reason is because I am a white boy with open eyes who calls them on their duplicity and obstinacy in opposition to change.

In fact, I bet this gets removed within the hour.

I shall endeavor to persevere,

Brad

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 08/14/11 - 08:10 am
So Jerry Brigham wants a

So Jerry Brigham wants a "game plan" before firing Russell. Here's one:

1. Rescind the raises and get the money back.

2. Fire Fred (What, me worry?) Russell.

3. Rescind the policies, procedures and personnel manual that allowed Russell to grant the raises.

4. Tell the deputy administrator to take over Russell's duties and do not grant him higher pay.

I waive my usual consulting fee so the city may implement my plan free of charge.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 08/14/11 - 08:18 am
Hey, RM, regarding the

iLove
iLove 08/14/11 - 08:48 am
Wow 404Law! You went in! Most

Wow 404Law! You went in! Most of what you have said is true. I have repeatedly said the Mr. Lockett is not making noise FOR NO REASON. Now we see why and Cooper still finds room to make certain commissioners appear less able. Only in Augusta. Only on Augusta.

"When the majority is ruled by the minority, there will never be peace." -iLove

iLove
iLove 08/14/11 - 12:11 pm
Brad- your $3.00 East Boundry

Brad- your $3.00 East Boundry comment is so true...it makes ya think.

I wonder how the commissioners of the mid 90's era feel about Fred? We are seeing their planning in active progress now. Yet, the morale of the city is nothing as it was under their leadership.

DEKE... "WHERE YOU AT?" lol.

cityman
cityman 08/14/11 - 09:03 am
Augusta government has ALWAYS

Augusta government has ALWAYS been involved in controversy to the determent of this city. This is not universal among city governments folks. If this does not change Augusta is destined to remain on the same lack luster path to lower mediocrity. Many people have fought this battle and many have simply moved. I am a lifelong Augustan and I am seriously looking for a way out. This whole ugly scene is too much. I don't foresee much better days ahead within my lifetime.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 08/14/11 - 09:02 am
"When the majority is ruled

"When the majority is ruled by the minority, there will never be peace." -iLove

"And vice versa." -Little Lamb

broad street narrow mind
broad street narrow mind 08/14/11 - 09:07 am
404, i share a lot of your

404, i share a lot of your view on this. augusta itself is from another age. ms cooper has a job with the chronicle writing the lighthearted political roundup for the sunday readers. considering that, we're doing pretty well. ms cooper is cut from the cloth that she is, but she also seems open-minded and curious. black commissioners and citizens get less flattering coverage at every turn, and not just in this paper, but mayor deke the unifier may be changing that. the obviousness and won't-take-no-for-an-answer single-minded obsession with that stadium of his that no one in this city (who's not going to profit off of it and that's a real minority) wants to pay for is fostering a cohesiveness in this city/county that transends race. thank heavens for mayor deke. he shows us better than any progressive lecture ever could how we're in this together against the tiny group running the show behind the scenes.

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 08/14/11 - 09:56 am
Thanks 404law. I'm just here

Thanks 404law. I'm just here on these threads to learn and share my opinions in a relatively secure environment as a concerned Mom, daughter, sister, neighbor, friend, and law-abiding citizen. I am not a professional writer, nor do I hold any public position. I don't always agree with others here or Sylvia, but that is what makes things interesting. I would probably never write a column with my name publicized because certain members of my family would have a nervous breakdown. I also can not risk my family being targeted anymore, either. The last many years of fighting crime in my family's neighborhood were bad enough without the possibility of more potential unknown stalkers. I always learn something from Sylvia's columns, even when we don't agree. She is one of the main reasons I still subscribe.

Riverman1
Riverman1 08/14/11 - 10:10 am
Brad says it well. The

Brad says it well. The Chronicle is entwined with the cabal in a double helix spiral that creates a DNA that can suck the tax dollars from every cell in Richmond County. Projects they support benefit them. Remember the many millions the Feds took them to court over a few years ago? That was before Mike Ryan's era. He should research the matter.

When the Chronicle ran an ediitorial for one of the cabal awaiting federal court for Medicare violations, I knew we weren't in Kansas anymore and Mike Ryan shouldn't believe he is either.

So keep it up fellow posters. Remember the existentialist story of the rich man and poor man sharing the dry space in the rainstorm? You're always much better off if you know the truth.

Riverman1
Riverman1 08/14/11 - 10:25 am
LL said, "Hey, RM, regarding

LL said, "Hey, RM, regarding the sheriff — he's up for re-election every four years. The next election for sheriff is 2012."

I do all I can to point out the problems and encourage blacks to run for sheriff. It's going to take a strong organizing effort on their part to defeat the powers who like things the way they are.

When Strength gets $300 thousand in campaign contributions, far more than anyone else in Richmond Cty, and doesn't really have an opponent, you have to realize what's going on. When Tim Shelnutt tells the FBI he secretly passed $10 grand to Strength in violation of campaign rules that has to make more than a few think.

But I never underestimate the Cabal's organized power. Strength learned from the Southside Mafia kingpin, Charlie Webster, and has the support of those who know how to swing elections.

When they pull the Boy King, Copenhaver-Boardman, off the beach with his spotty employment history and make him mayor by a landslide you have to respect the power.

Let's hope people like Jill Peterson (hilarious presentation at the Commisson meeting), Lori Davis and all us posters can continue to be the poor man who knows the truth under the awning with the rich man who takes a while to come to the realization he's not better off.

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/14/11 - 11:54 am
Oh pleeeeze....stop picking

Oh pleeeeze....stop picking on Sylvia.....she didn't cause Augusta's problems....shepickson everybody...some just can't see the forest for the tress...
Crime stinks in 30906....if they worked TOGETHER they might be able to stem the tide...but as far as all black leadership look at Fulton & Dekalb counties......school system is tanking-crime is up--ain't working!!!

broad street narrow mind
broad street narrow mind 08/14/11 - 10:45 am
brad and riverman are zooming

brad and riverman are zooming in. pay attention, augusta. at least let's make the cabal spend some effort covering tracks. right now they're in hand over fist mode.