Gov. Deal says he'll sign bill to let bars open on Sunday during St. Patrick's

Morris News Service

ATLANTA – Gov. Nathan Deal intends to endorse legislation allowing Savannah bars to sell alcohol on Sunday afternoons that fall during a St. Patrick’s Day weekend, his spokesman said.

The legislation is awaiting the governor’s signature after the House passed it 147-7 Monday.

Deal doesn’t normally comment on legislation he didn’t propose, and so the Chatham County delegation planned to send him a letter and request a meeting with him to plead for quick action.

“Governor plans on signing it,” was the message Deputy Chief of Staff Brian Robinson sent in reply to a reporter’s inquiry.

The legislation permits bars to sell alcohol during the St. Patrick’s Day weekend, something restaurants in Savannah already can do.

john
john 03/10/14 - 02:09 pm
nice

a Governors Dispensation haha

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 03/10/14 - 03:08 pm
Georgia comes into the 21st

Georgia comes into the 21st century==oh ya,not quite

dichotomy
dichotomy 03/10/14 - 03:20 pm
I don't understand why ALL

I don't understand why ALL bars cannot sell alcohol on Sunday afternoon anyway.....ANY Sunday afternoon.

Even as a child back in the 50's I never understood Blue laws.

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 03/10/14 - 03:28 pm
dichotomy, just religious

dichotomy, just religious types trying to hold on to what they have lost a long time ago

IBeDogGone
IBeDogGone 03/10/14 - 06:26 pm
Good Move

Good political move but those Baptist sure are going to be mad.

TrukinRanger
TrukinRanger 03/10/14 - 07:22 pm
it's idiotic.. these laws

it's idiotic.. these laws should have been gone a long long time ago.. we don't need an exemption for Savannah- need it gone completely!

dichotomy
dichotomy 03/10/14 - 09:39 pm
"just religious types trying

"just religious types trying to hold on to what they have lost a long time ago"

Yeh I guess. It's not like church goers would bolt from the church to go to the bar and drink on Sunday......and for those non-church goers who would like to go to the bar on Sunday and have a few drinks with their friends but can't......I guess it's so much better that they stay home on Sunday with that quart of liquor they bought Saturday night and get sloppy drunk in their underwear and harangue the wife all day.

It just don't pass the smell test no matter how I look at it.

LCC0256
LCC0256 03/10/14 - 11:23 pm
no giants all day...

it is not about "religious types" doing anything...it is about men standing up for what they believe is RIGHT..taking a stand for something and being FIRM IN YOUR CONVICTIONS...something the marxist running the country today fear most...it really matters not to me about "blue laws" - what i RESPECT is that there are still MEN left in the country (albeit few) who have not become emasculated and will speak out for what they believe and stand ready to defend what they believe in...it is a constitutional thing...you wouldn't understand...

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 03/11/14 - 12:36 am
LCC0345, "it is not about

LCC0345,
"it is not about "religious types" doing anything...it is about men standing up for what they believe is RIGHT"
OK then since you said "men" I'm guessing you don't believe in women standing up for their rights. Did you go into a coma in the 19th century and just awaken this morning? I mean, holy crap!! OK so now I will stand up for what I believe. It is time in the 21st century for all people (men and women) and governments to STOP believing in stupid fairy tales

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 03/11/14 - 12:44 am
147-7 So why doesn't the AC

147-7
So why doesn't the AC do a report on the 7 idiots who voted "no". If I were a real reporter working for a real newspaper, that's what I would do.

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 03/11/14 - 12:50 am
I'm guessing the gov is

I'm guessing the gov is signing the bill based on it is just for this year only.....Wow.....just wow.....

oldredneckman96
oldredneckman96 03/11/14 - 02:34 am
Drunks

Well the drunks need a place to pee, don't they? Do you want them to pee in a bar or on the sidewalk? I would rather see them pee the same place they smoke, since both smell like hell.

GnipGnop
GnipGnop 03/11/14 - 03:30 am
So why don't we

Pass a law that you can't buy pork on Friday..that is a religious belief. Separation of church and state unless you don't agree with it? That's so very constitutional of you...

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 03/11/14 - 08:32 am
St. Patrick’s Day Weekend

So does the law allow Sunday sales in bars when March 17 falls on Friday, Saturday, Sunday, and Monday; but not allow Sunday sales in bars when March 17 falls on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday?

InChristLove
InChristLove 03/11/14 - 08:52 am
"So why doesn't the AC do a

"So why doesn't the AC do a report on the 7 idiots who voted "no". "

So now people are idiots for voting their convictions. I'm sure if the roles were reverse and 147 voted to establish a law you must attend church and 7 "idiots" voted no, you'd have a different point of view on those seven.

Echoes86
Echoes86 03/11/14 - 09:05 am
If you're an elected

If you're an elected official, you shouldn't vote based on your own personal religion or convictions (that's another reason why separation of church and state is so important). You're there for the good of the people, so you have to make an argument about why YOUR personal conviction is for the good of the people, not just yourself. For those that do not practice Christianity, it makes no sense to have blue laws.

InChristLove
InChristLove 03/11/14 - 09:05 am
So "Chicken Little", I assume

So "Chicken Little", I assume by the TD you are saying you WOULD be in favor of a bill that 147 voted YES, you have to attend church on Sunday........Amazing.

InChristLove
InChristLove 03/11/14 - 09:14 am
Echoes, who is to say that

Echoes, who is to say that those 7 did not vote according to the way the majority of their constituents wished? For those who do not practice any religion (not just Christian are against working on Sunday), I agree it makes no sense, but who said our laws have to be based on a few unreligious who don't understand the law....what about those who are religious that do understand the law....where does your right overide my right just because I'm a believer and you are not.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 03/11/14 - 09:24 am
I understand people voting

I understand people voting their "convictions", I hope all my elected officials do so; but they are fair game for criticism when those convictions are illogical.

In my opinion, it defies common sense to have rules that say you can't sell certain legal products within xx feet of a church or school. Or legal businesses can't sell their wares until church is out on Sunday.

If alcohol or bars are against one's convictions, don't go where alcohol is sold. How does having a Rhineharts within the xx ft. school boundary make any sense at all? Or a Circle K that sells beer? I could open a Zaxby's next door, but not a Chili's? How is that logical?
It is just people trying to impose their particular religious beliefs on everyone else. Sound familiar?

Echoes86
Echoes86 03/11/14 - 09:59 am
ICL. if you believe that

ICL. if you believe that you, as a Christian, shouldn't drink alcohol on Sunday, then don't buy it.

The problem is when you, even if you're part of a majority, try to force everyone to follow the rules of your belief.

As an example, how would you feel if the government told you that you couldn't have most seafood because of the Old Testament's laws against shellfish? Do you see how statist it seems? It gives the government way too much control over things that should actually be individual, religious choices.

InChristLove
InChristLove 03/11/14 - 11:01 am
"As an example, how would you

"As an example, how would you feel if the government told you that you couldn't have most seafood because of the Old Testament's laws against shellfish?"

Well Echoes, I'd say they don't know much about biblical scripture then. Under the Old Covenant the children of Israel were forbidden to eat shellfish due to the uncleanness of it but since we who are new believers are living under the New Covenant, nothing is are trying to make me live under the Old Covenant and I'm adopted under the New Covenant and since Jesus has come all food is declared clean.

Mark 7:18 And [Jesus] said to them, “Then are you also without understanding? Do you not see that whatever goes into a person from outside cannot defile him, 19 since it enters not his heart but his stomach, and is expelled?” Thus he declared all foods clean.

Only food not permissible is that which has been offered to an idol or that which offends another, such as if you had a Jewish guest you wouldn't serve pork or beef to a Hindu guest because it would be offensive to them.

Personally Echoes, I could care less if alcohol is sold on Sunday. That will not alter my worship to God on Sunday but the "blue laws" were not only issued because of religious reasons and I just find it sad that people can drink 6 days out of the week and one day can not be set aside as a day of rest for all people, whether you are religious or not.

InChristLove
InChristLove 03/11/14 - 11:20 am
"If you need the government

"If you need the government to regulate your religious beliefs, then I wonder what else you'd need the government for."

Nice polite jab there but just so we are clear. I really don't need the government to regulate my worship or need them for anything else that you don't need yourself sir. That being said I still think it's beneficial to have a designated day of rest so that those who wish to worship can do so without fear of loosing their job and those who wish to drink can do it the other six days of the week and on the seventh day they can do it at home.

Echoes86
Echoes86 03/11/14 - 11:30 am
ICL, that "you" was a general

ICL, that "you" was a general "you." I honestly didn't mean for it to be taken as a personal attack/insult. I know from your posts that you are usually pro-limited government.

I understand what you mean by the "having a day of rest" being beneficiary, but it has to be an individual decision. I don't drink at all just because I don't really find any joy in it, and I would hope those that do drink don't drink 7 days out of the week out of choice/responsibilities.

InChristLove
InChristLove 03/11/14 - 12:04 pm
"I understand what you mean

"I understand what you mean by the "having a day of rest" being beneficiary, but it has to be an individual decision"

But it's not an individual decision when you are required to work at a business who chooses to open on Sunday. You could say, find another job....well unless you work for Chick-fil-a or Hobby Lobby, your chances of finding a job closed on Sunday is pretty limited don't you think.

Echoes86
Echoes86 03/11/14 - 12:15 pm
Well, as any Republican or

Well, as any Republican or Libertarian would say, if you don't like what your business owner does, then you can always find another job. That's usually the argument against minimum wage anyways, if your job is paying you lower than you'd like, you leave. If your job makes you work on a day that you don't want to work, then leave. It's up to the company to decide what days they're open, and it's not up to the government to tell private companies what to do.

InChristLove
InChristLove 03/11/14 - 12:26 pm
"If your job makes you work

"If your job makes you work on a day that you don't want to work, then leave. It's up to the company to decide what days they're open, and it's not up to the government to tell private companies what to do."

Then those who wish to worship on Sunday do not have any rights because most businesses are open on Sunday, ergo the issue.

It's not up to the government to tell private companies what to do.....they do it all the time. The government says you can't discriminate in your hiring, the governement says you have to pay your employees a minimum hourly wage, the government says you have to run an ethical business, the government says you have to pay taxes on that business.....the government has a lot to say in how businesses are run to protect it's employees.....maybe this is something they should add to their list. Just a thought.

Echoes86
Echoes86 03/11/14 - 12:32 pm
Yeah, I mean if the gov't is

Yeah, I mean if the gov't is going to force them to do a minimum wage and the other things you mentioned, then I think if you cited that you need to be off every Sunday due to religious reasons, that the business should oblige.

That doesn't mean the entire business has to shut down, but it'd be nice for employers to adjust schedules for people that need religious days off. So far, every employer I've ever had allowed Sundays off for people that can't work on Sundays.

I would assume there is some protection against businesses discriminating against/not accommodating religious beliefs, but I don't know for sure.