Former Augusta commissioner Aitken will not run for mayor

Thursday, March 6, 2014 5:45 PM
Last updated 9:57 PM

Former Augusta Commissioner Matt Aitken is out of the running for mayor of Augusta.

At a news conference in his historic Telfair Street home Thursday, Aitken described the accomplishments of his commission term – when “a unified commission” was able to complete downtown projects such as Augusta Convention Center, the new main library and new sheriff’s headquarters – but cited the state of the government now in his decision not to run.

“I’ve been struggling with running for mayor of Augusta for over a year now, but I think the nature of where everything’s at in Augusta, I don’t think it’s going to be the time for me to run for mayor,” Aitken said.

“I want to be a part of something that’s progressive. It weighs heavy, the atmosphere when you go in the chambers. We ought to have joy in when we make the decisions for what’s next for Augusta.”

Aitken earlier praised District 1 Commissioner Bill Fennoy’s support for SPLOST 7, the new sales tax going before voters May 20, for its funding for downtown projects. Fennoy lost a runoff to Aitken in 2009, but defeated Aitken four years later for the downtown commission seat.

The decision brings the number of candidates for mayor to five. On Thursday, Sen. Hardie Davis, D-Augusta, and high school teacher Lori Myles filed qualifying paperwork. They will join Commissioner Alvin Mason, retired restaurateur Charles Cummings and business owner Helen Blocker-Adams on the May 20 ballot. Qualifying ends at noon Friday.

Dixieman
Dixieman 03/07/14 - 10:47 am
Dixieman will be calling a press conference later today...

...to announce that he is not running for mayor either on the grounds that some Commissioners were rude to him once and he is a sensitive, enlightened soul. Also lawn needs edging out by the sidewalk. Oh, yeah, and lack of positive vibes.
How big does your ego have to be to call a news conference to announce that you will not be deigning to favor the people of Augusta with your oh-so-needed leadership? Sheeeesh.
P.S. I will not be running for President in 2016 either.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 03/07/14 - 08:51 am
Not

I was thinking the same thing, Dixieman. The paper could run stories every day telling us what citizens will not be doing.

my.voice
my.voice 03/07/14 - 08:52 am
I have decided not to run.

I have decided not to run. Can someone call me for an official comment?

Butterman
Butterman 03/07/14 - 10:43 am
Lead Balloon

Yeah, like he had a chance anyway! Come on, he was never going to run. He probably just put that out there in hopes people would pay him not to run. The man is unemployed. How was he going to pay the nearly $2,000 qualifying fee? Nah, looks like Billy and his boys are backing Oprah in this one.

triscuit
triscuit 03/07/14 - 12:06 pm
non-issue...saves us all some

non-issue...saves us all some embarrassment...