Dial announces candidacy for Super District 10 seat

Wednesday, Jan. 15, 2014 5:22 PM
Last updated 7:57 PM

Augusta attorney Brandon Dial on Wednesday became the first candidate to challenge incumbent Grady Smith for the Super District 10 seat on the Augusta Commission.

Dial, 31, said he was entering the race to bring change to the 10-member governing body.

“I think I am like most Augusta residents. I am tired of seeing what’s happening down at the marble palace - politicians who are in it for ego and self-service and not into public service. It’s time to have a new generation of people down there,” Dial said.

Dial, who is married with two children, said he wants to make the city a place they want to stay.

“I want this city to be a place where they can grow up, go to college and want to stay here,” he said. “We just need to see our city back in order.”

Dial also is a partner in Dial-Stalnaker Investments, which owns several properties downtown.

Smith, 66, announced his candidacy Wednesday at the future site of a south Augusta Chick-Fil-A he said is part of new economic development in the city’s overlooked south side.

avidreader
avidreader 01/15/14 - 06:46 pm
Time Constraints!

How much time does a thirty-one year old lawyer have to invest in our local government? At this age, a lawyer is still figuring out the intricacies of a profit-and-loss statement for his personal or corporate business.

I would like a reply to this commentary!

OJP
OJP 01/15/14 - 07:09 pm
@avidreader

If he runs his own law practice and co-owns a real-estate company, I think it's fair to say he knows what he is doing financially.

avidreader
avidreader 01/15/14 - 07:15 pm
to OJP

I stand corrected!

countyman
19735
countyman 01/15/14 - 07:39 pm
Wonderful!!!

The 21-33 age group is the future and many want to join the process of rebuilding Augusta.

The fresh, innovative, out of the box, etc thinking in Augusta pretty much sucks and MUST be unleashed..

Riverman1
Riverman1 01/15/14 - 09:13 pm
Ain't Going To Happen

Good luck with that if you think you can beat Grady, but it ain't going to happen.

dickworth1
dickworth1 01/15/14 - 09:40 pm
another lawyer

Lawyers for the most part run the US Senate and many in the House of
Representatives are lawyers. What a mess the Congress of this country
is doing to its citizens. Do we need anymore lawyers to be in politics? This country is in the state of confusion because of lawyers and judges and it is time to put common sense people into the positions and do something for the working class people. Don't trust these lawyers that
promise to look out for you, it will cost you in the end.

bubbasauce
20573
bubbasauce 01/15/14 - 11:01 pm
I don't know. Maybe we should

I don't know. Maybe we should give him a chance. I was also against him until I read up on him and he does have two young children to look out for. I don't know him but he seems sincere and concerned about the city of Augusta.

myfather15
myfather15 01/16/14 - 07:28 am
Yes, this guy looks young,

Yes, this guy looks young, but not 31 years old young, does he? To me, the picture looks like a guy around 40. Is this age a misprint?

myfather15
myfather15 01/16/14 - 07:34 am
Forgive me for not getting

Forgive me for not getting excited about just another attorney, seeking office!! Why does it always seem like it's attorney's, doctor's or businessmen seeking political office?

Why can't it be a fireman, or police officer, financial advisor, chef, factory worker, etc?? I believe regular joes like this would bring back common sense into politics!! Lawyers and such, just continue to confuse the system with their legal jargon!!!

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 01/16/14 - 08:57 am
Platitudes

I don't see any specifics. Here's what was reported:

. . . said he was entering the race to bring change to the 10-member governing body.

. . . said I am tired of seeing what’s happening down at the marble palace.

. . . said it’s time to have a new generation of people down there.

. . . said he wants to make the city a place [where his children] want to stay.

. . . said, “We just need to see our city back in order.”

I'm no fan of Grady Smith, but Dial is going to have to get way more specific if he wants my vote.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 01/16/14 - 09:27 am
Specifics

So this guy invests in downtown real estate. Will he want special favors for downtown property owners and renters?

Here is what I want him to state publicly:

“I, Brandon Dial, will never vote to grant a tax credit, tax exemption, tax deferment, or other tax relief to one person or business. When the business owner at 401 Main Street gets special tax consideration and that consideration is not granted to the business at 403 Main Street, the tax system is not fair — and I will not support it.”

dotherightthing
dotherightthing 01/16/14 - 09:16 am
This is so exciting!! A

This is so exciting!! A young, motivated family attorney looking for change in a corrupt system. I love it. Grady Smith has a shady past and shady dealings as well. It is crazy how one person accuses him of being too young to be experienced yet another accuses him of potentially wanting favors since he is a downtown business owner. You're not even giving this guy a chance. The comments of him being "just another attorney" bother me. Do you know him? Do you know that we need a good, young attorney on this commission BADLY....enough of it being stacked with the Augusta good ole boys. All I know is that change is needed, and lets put a motivated family man in there to make it happen. I love that he is doing this to make Augusta a better place for his children, thererby doing it for other children. I love people who love this town. He has my vote!

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 01/16/14 - 10:06 am
Family Man

Thank you, Mrs. Dial, for that comment above. Welcome to the forum.

JRC2024
JRC2024 01/16/14 - 10:16 am
Anything to get people like

Anything to get people like Marion Williams out.

LillyfromtheMills
LillyfromtheMills 01/16/14 - 10:27 am
It would be fun to watch

Marion and Mr. Dial in a discussion

soapy_725
soapy_725 01/16/14 - 10:36 am
All aboard for the ARC of No Covenant Gravy Train. Toot Toot

All aboard for the ARC of No Covenant Gravy Train. Toot Toot

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 01/16/14 - 10:44 am
Tax Exemption

I appreciate business owners such as JRC2024. They succeed because they provide products and services people need or desire and they do it well so the customers come back or refer others toward the business.

I'm going out on a limb, here, but I'm wagering that JRC2024 was not the recipient of the Augusta Commission granting him a tax exemption in order to start his business. They did not set up a "Tax Allocation District" for the benefit of his business that would exclude others outside the district.

I have a feeling that JRC2024 pays his Richmond County Taxes and doesn't seek special favors not available to other taxpayers.

dotherightthing
dotherightthing 01/16/14 - 11:38 am
Really Little Lamb? Funny you

Really Little Lamb? Funny! But it's not a race if two people aren't running. I think District 10 just got interesting...

countyman
19735
countyman 01/16/14 - 11:35 am
Excellent!!!

I'm happy the public is allowed to hear from the many people who love the city and want it to flourish.. Those people need to be push in the forefront and not the people who complain every time no matter the subject..

Little Lamb.. Can you name one county in the US that doesn't provide incentives for new businesses?

The Charlotte market is far superior to metro Augusta and they still had to give Electrolux up to $27 million in tax breaks..

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 01/16/14 - 12:13 pm
No I can't

I have a deep-seated political belief that taxes should be equal for all classes of business and all classes of individuals. If a county grants an exemption of taxes to attract a new business, then that penalizes existing businesses.

Recently, the county commission granted the owner of the hotel down on lower Broad a re-imbursement of his remodeling expenses after he did the work without his even asking for re-imbursement. That is unfair to all the hotels that remodeled and did not get a re-imbursement.

Government should not hand out money to individuals and businesses. If they give to one and not to all, then you've got a crony caste in favor, and an untouchable caste out of favor.

That's unfair governing. I'd like to see Brandon Dial denounce it. That would show he actually has a plan to cut down good-ole-boy Augusta government.

LillyfromtheMills
LillyfromtheMills 01/16/14 - 12:15 pm
Bizkit
Bizkit 01/16/14 - 12:16 pm
"We need more younger people

"We need more younger people in the spotlight and helping make change. The majority of the commissioners are usually over the age of fifty and we desperately need to balance things out.."
County I agree-it would be nice to be half young/ half older because I like the energy, drive, vision of our tech savvy youth but you also need a "guide" or a "brake" with some prudent wisdom from years of experience. I hate to say this because I've always been rabid about age, gender, ethnicity-any kind of discrimination, but I do believe a person over 65 in Congress or any political office just isn't as "fit" as when they were younger-too much science to demonstrate the cognitive and physical losses with aging. But that doesn't mean the elderly aren't productive nor still contribute-just the ole grey mare ain't what she use to be. Plenty of exceptions to this of people who didn't blossom till over 35 too-in fairness.

harley_52
harley_52 01/16/14 - 01:25 pm
"Recently, the county commission granted....

....the owner of the hotel down on lower Broad a re-imbursement of his remodeling expenses after he did the work without his even asking for re-imbursement."

How do they "grant" something that wasn't requested? Sounds more like they "bestowed" rather than "granted."

By what authority did they do this? Is there some program in place to pay for remodeling of businesses downtown in the "slum" area, even after the fact?

myfather15
myfather15 01/16/14 - 01:52 pm
First of all, I never even

First of all, I never even hinted that because he is 31, he is not qualified!! My question was actually pretty simple, is he really 31 years old? Because I've never met the man or heard of him. In the picture he looks forty(ish). I agree with other's on here, that someone in their 30's would be a fresh change. He could be very intelligent and I'd be willing to give him a chance, according to who was runnning against him.

myfather15
myfather15 01/16/14 - 02:10 pm
BUT

You'll have to forgive me; I have an automatic distrust of lawyers!! Anyone who HAS to lie for a living and choses to do so, I'm not a big fan of!! I've had this conversation with several attorney's asking them why they defended their client, when they knew they were guilty and lying. The usual answer is "Well, It's my job, it's part of the oath."

I had an obstruction case go to bench trial one time, where the attorney attacked me on the stand, trying to catch me being inconsistent in my testimony AND accusing me of excessive force. He got very personal with it and actually yelled at me on the stand, but I didn't budge!! The truth, doesn't change. After the defendent was found guilty, the lawyer tried to walk up and shake my hand and stated "This guy's a piece of crap, he got what he deserved." I then asked him "Then why did you defend him and attack me so personally on the stand?" He stated "I'm suppose to defend my client as effective and professional as I can." I then said "Well, go shake his hand." and I walked away!

So lawyers, defending their clients, even when they know their guilty!! I just don't see how anyone does that!! But they always blame the oath, or regulations. But there is a truth that not many people know about. If a lawyer has information which proves his client is guilty, or his client admits to the crime; he can withdraw from the case. He does NOT have to continue with the case into a trial, where he would have to lie!! If he still wants to defend the client, he could attempt to work out a plea deal. But they do NOT have to defend them all the way!!

Isn't "Honest Lawyer" an oxymoron?

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 01/16/14 - 02:12 pm
Tax Allocation District

For Harley_52, here is the story from Susan McCord's reporting on December 17, 2013:

In other business Tuesday, the commission:

• Voted 8-0, with Commissioners Bill Fennoy and William Guilfoyle out, to create a new Tax Allocation District 4 using 294 downtown parcels and dissolve TAD 1, which has generated no tax increments used to fund development in the district. TAD proceeds have been promised to developer T.R. Reddy, who is remodeling a Holiday Inn Express on Broad Street.

harley_52
harley_52 01/16/14 - 02:21 pm
LL

Is there some legal document that defines and describes TADs and their policies/procedures?

Also, who has the authority to "promise" TAD proceeds?

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 01/16/14 - 03:04 pm
Tax Allocation District

Here is a link to some FAQs about TADs:

Tax Allocation Districts

Careful, though. It's a web site of the Georgia Municipal Association, which is known to look through rose colored glasses when looking for ways to spend taxpayer money.

Notice how the FAQ sheet mentions one of the risks of TADs is the potential for the TAD to generate less revenue than designed, which makes the balance payable from direct taxes.

Then notice the wording in Susan McCord's article above which states that Augusta's downtown TAD 1 actually generated no revenue!

harley_52
harley_52 01/16/14 - 05:03 pm
Thanks LL...

It seems like what went on with the Holiday Inn remodeling is not in compliance with the wording of the reference you sent. Specifically, it says....

"Local legislation is required to authorize the city to create a TAD. The voters within the municipality must approve use of the TAD by a majority vote in a referendum. The city is required to form a Redevelopment Agency with the responsibility of carrying out the redevelopment powers (usually an existing local Authority is designated to serve as the Redevelopment Agency). The city must also complete and formally approve a Redevelopment Plan that clearly defines the TAD boundaries; outlines the scope of the economic development project and project costs; estimates the frozen tax base and tax increment amounts; and estimates proceeds that would be realized from a bond referendum."

Doesn't sound like they did any of that with the new TAD they created.

Am I missing something?

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 01/16/14 - 06:57 pm
Algorithm

For some reason, Al Gore struck again. Though the number of comments was high, this thread was removed from the Most Discussed list.

:<-