Retired VA employee will run for Augusta Commission

A retired Department of Veterans Affairs employee is the first to announce his candidacy for the District 2 Augusta Commission post.

Williams
Williams

Dennis Williams, 61, announced Wednesday that he will run next year for the seat held by Mayor Pro Tem Corey Johnson, who is term-limited and running for state Senate.

Williams, who retired from a career in health textile care management for the VA, was born and raised in Chicago and stationed in Fort Gordon in 1979. He began his VA career in Augusta, but the job would take him to assignments in Brooklyn, N.Y.; Tus­ca­loosa, Ala.; and Milwaukee, Wis., for years before he retired to Augusta, he said.

He said his experiences help him “bring an open mind in dealing and getting along with people, and trying to see and understand what others see.”

“Sometimes we think ours is the only way,” he said. “I’ve had to deal with a variety of people from a variety of different backgrounds in the work that I’ve done.”

Williams graduated from Leadership Augusta and ran for elected office once before, unsuccessfully challenging Margaret Armstrong for a seat on the pre-consolidation Augusta City Council, he said.

Williams said he didn’t have any specific goals for the commission yet but wants to see the city grow.

“I just want to be a benefit to our community and help Augusta to become the city that it should be,” he said. “We’re the second-largest city in Georgia, and you wonder why people are still hanging on to this small-town mentality.”

Williams said his concerns for south Au­gusta included the preparations for relocating residents from the Cherry Tree Crossing public housing project and the lack of public transportation available to those residents and others expected to be moving further south.

He also has concerns about the area’s shortage of restaurants and retail stores.

“Our government has to show or project the image that they’re concerned about the people in south Augusta,” he said. “We have money to remodel a building, but we don’t have money to improve the life of the citizens who reside in our community.”

Regardless, Williams said he was pleased with his decision to call Augusta home. He’s attended Tabernacle Baptist Church since the early 1980s, “the cost of living is great,” and the weather is far better than chilly Chicago, he said.

Riverman1
Riverman1 09/25/13 - 03:40 pm
Cherry Tree Crossing Residents To S. Augusta

I'm not picking on Mr. Williams but isn't this statement revealing to what's going on in Richmond County? Throw Dave Barbee under the bus will you, Deke? Throw Deke and the Boardman's out in the rain and take Jenny Sanford with you.

"Williams said his concerns for south Augusta included the preparations for relocating residents from the Cherry Tree Crossing public housing project and the lack of public transportation available to those residents and others expected to be moving further south."

countyman
20585
countyman 09/25/13 - 03:53 pm
Mr. Barbee

Dave Barbee said many of the residents in the former housing projects would be moving to Columbia County, and never once mentioned South Augusta..

I don't think it's any secret some people will receive section 8, because they don't want to live in another housing project. Some of the older neighborhoods in South Augusta like Barton Village, Apple Valley, etc will probably gain some residents.

Columbus is consolidated with the entire county, and recently became the second largest city in Georgia. Augusta is the second largest metro, and third largest city.

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/25/13 - 03:50 pm
There are no words for this..

"preparations for relocating residents from the Cherry Tree Crossing public housing project and the lack of public transportation available to those residents and others expected to be moving further south."

SOUTH AUGUSTA get ready for a body cavity search my friends....you have had everything else dumped on ya...might as well bend over for this too!! GEEZ...You have no pull--no say in your gov....I feel for ya.

Riverman1
Riverman1 09/25/13 - 04:02 pm
Countyman, do you mean Mr.

Countyman, do you mean Mr. Williams is wrong that the public housing residents are being sent to South Augusta?

countyman
20585
countyman 09/25/13 - 04:15 pm
Do you mean Mr. Barbee is

Do you mean Mr. Barbee is wrong that public housing residents won't end up in Columbia County and the urban core of Augusta will become whiter?

Why are you so interested in starting controversy in Richmond County? You care more about the TEE center(approved by Richmond County voters) compared to the Columbia County leaders spending your tax money to build the $10 million exhibition hall you didn't even vote for.

Where did Mr. Williams say all of the public housing residents are being sent to South Augusta? My earlier comment already mentioned some people are going to end up in South Augusta. The Augusta Housing Authority has an waiting list for section 8, and they all can't stay in Richmond County.

Many of the former residents in Gilbert Manor moved to Olmstead Homes(public housing), and not South Augusta..

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 09/25/13 - 04:14 pm
Trivia

From the 2010 census we learn on the internet (under galileo.usg.edu) that Richmond County was 200,549 and Muscogee County was 189,885. That's virtually the same.

The same website has the 2010 census data on "cities." It lists Augusta as 195,844 and Columbus as 189,885. Again, virtually the same.

P.S. the banner line of the web site is GeorgiaInfo

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/25/13 - 04:16 pm
Why not??

waiting list for section 8, and they all can't stay in Richmond County.

Why not relocate some down to Broad St area in YOUR part of town!!

Riverman1
Riverman1 09/25/13 - 04:19 pm
Mr. Williams' Concerns

The key line Dave Barbee said is the number of blacks would be reduced in the downtown area. He was probably right...right? Deke thought he was uttering horrendous racial statements. Mr. Williams is concerned about those Cherry Tree residents moved to South Augusta without bus service and so on. What's there to argue about?

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/25/13 - 04:26 pm
Insane to argue with facts

SO..I will spend my time emailing south Augusta folks about this..they will need to know all that is coming their way...they not only pay the bill for these decisions --they deal with the left over crap.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 09/25/13 - 04:30 pm
The other day

The other day Countyman was bemoaning that there are too many commissioners over 50 years old. I guess he will not support Mr. Williams.

Sweet son
Sweet son 09/25/13 - 04:41 pm
'There goes the neighborhood' is already in place in South

Augusta! It has been happening slowly but surely for the past 20 or more years. It is so sad but it will just continue. There are a few islands of decent neighborhoods and decent people but they too will become like Apple Valley, the Barton Chapel Rd. area, Pepperridge, and others. It is a shame that some of the older residents trying to finish their lives in these situations might be forced to move because of the influx of the Section 8 and project types. If that sounds racist it is not! All you have to do is look at the Sheriff's reports of calls for trouble and crime and it tells the story! A few will move to the Columbia County Section 8 houses and this thing they built off of Baston but most will remain in Richmond County.

Gotta' love Riverman because he knows how to push countyman's buttons! :)

Wonder what Mr. Williams job; "health textile care management " means?

Riverman1
Riverman1 09/25/13 - 04:41 pm
LL, North Richmond Countyman

LL, North Richmond Countyman wants commissioners under 35. He also wants to see the GLBT population grow in those one room apartments downtown. I guess he doesn't support Mr. Williams.

countyman
20585
countyman 09/25/13 - 04:47 pm
Little Lamb.. Check the 2012

Little Lamb.. Check the 2012 census estimates for A/RC (minus Hephzibah/Blythe) versus Columbus..

Columbus is now the second largest city in the state. Richmond County is still larger than Muscogee county in population.

Sweetson.. You definitely need to visit the nicer areas in South Augusta if you think Barefield, Lakes at Spirit Creek, etc will turn into Barton Village.

I don't understand the comments about Pepperidge when so many of the residents are still retired military.

Riverman1
Riverman1 09/25/13 - 04:46 pm
"Wonder what Mr. Williams

"Wonder what Mr. Williams job; "health textile care management " means?"

That probably means white lung disease and various textile industry related health problems.

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/25/13 - 04:47 pm
Who cares what the dang population is

Who cares when your house is broken into weekly....dang the charts...
%%$$##@@@**(&^% some make me cuss on here!

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 09/25/13 - 05:03 pm
Official Census

Sorry, Countyman, but I put no stock in the population estimates. I deal only in official census figures. A ten-year resolution is sufficient to analyze trends.

Besides, the person who wrote the census estimate computer models was the same person who wrote the global warming models, and look how they turned out!

dichotomy
dichotomy 09/25/13 - 07:13 pm
"Williams said his concerns

I see Williams has read the "Plan" and concurs.

You know what makes me laugh? When I hear someone say "I wonder what made that guy walk in there and just go off on everybody like that". Sometimes when everything is stacked against you and there is no hope of winning it's just time to go off.

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 09/25/13 - 10:33 pm
How many people with the last

How many people with the last name Williams are IN this town?!!??

GnipGnop
GnipGnop 09/25/13 - 10:44 pm
Pepperidge had more gang activity than just about any other

South Augusta neighborhood...well maybe fairington has more

countyman
20585
countyman 09/26/13 - 02:43 am
Coming from somebody who

Coming from somebody who lives in Aiken County. Anybody comparing Farington or Pepperidge with Barton Village, Meadowbrook, etc needs to get out more.

Retired people from SRS, FT Gordon, etc live in Farington and Pepperidge.

When do you hear about shootings or homicides in either neighborhood? I believe the last homicide in Pepperidge was in 2010, and that was the first one in years.

bumblebeerose
bumblebeerose 09/26/13 - 05:17 am
Countyman!!!!!

Countyman I think you need to get out more. Those areas you are talking about Fairington and Pepperidge are bad areas. I do not know what paper or news station you are watching but it is not here in Augusta, GA.

GnipGnop
GnipGnop 09/26/13 - 09:38 am
Countyman I grew up there...did you?????

Where I live has nothing to do with what I know about Augusta. Unlike you I lived in the area for 40 years. Come back when you have something of substance to cut me down with....and BTW I am a property owning taxpayer in Richmond County as are a majority of my family. So don't tell me what I can and can't comment on.

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/26/13 - 08:51 am
Gnipgnop

Does it matter anymore....I give up....they have let a great section of Augusta go lacking....it didn't have to happen either....we know the truth & remember the good times....I am disgusted with the gov of Richmond county & all that comes their way now they truly DESERVE!!

countyman
20585
countyman 09/26/13 - 12:10 pm
Facts not opinions

The people who gave me thumbs down live outside of Richmond County, and still think 40 years ago is related to 2013.

Bumblebeerose.. The crime rates are more important than your personal opinion... Do you really believe the media shows all of the crime in the metro? They don't even report the daily crime in Columbia County so please stop.

GnipGnop... Why would anybody who still has enough disposable income left over from working at Fort Gordon/SRS live in these neighborhoods if there so bad?

Since when don't bad neighborhoods have a lot of violent crime..

Let's make this pretty simple.. Please name one homicide in Farington or Pepperidge this year?

Riverman1
Riverman1 09/26/13 - 12:18 pm
Columbia County Proudly Reports Its Crime

Countyman said, "They don't even report the daily crime in Columbia County so please stop."

Wait a cotton pickin' minute. Just the other day it was reported in the CCNT that someone threw the poolside chairs and table in a neighborhood swimming pool. Police are still investigating this horrendous event. One of the neighborhood people had to jump in the coolish water to retrieve the furniture. Don't tell me we don't have no stinkin' crime.

GnipGnop
GnipGnop 09/26/13 - 02:20 pm
Facts not opinion

I lived there for 40 years not 40 years ago. I own property in the Pepperidge area so I think I have a better handle on what goes on there than you do. Have you ever lived there? The CBD is about as far away from Pepperidge and Fairington as where I live. I don't give you thumbs down (they make no sense and should be done away with just like the points system) but I see that many people do. You said homicides...I said gangs. South Augusta is my old stomping ground. You might know the CBD but you cannot school me on the Southside. (Is that better Sean?)

Sean Moores
Sean Moores 09/26/13 - 02:14 pm
Yes, much.

Yes, much.

GnipGnop
GnipGnop 09/26/13 - 02:21 pm
I apologize for my overzealous comment Countyman

I will try not to let emotion get in the way of my message.

bumblebeerose
bumblebeerose 09/27/13 - 03:56 am
Countyman!

Shooting in Pepperidge posted on WRDW on July 21, 2013.

Upscale addiction treatment facility opens

The facility off Bennock Mill Road is a cutting-edge residential addiction treatment facility, combining evidence-based treatment and wellness approaches like diet and personalized exercise ...