US must respond to Syria, Graham says

Tuesday, Sept. 3, 2013 1:18 PM
Last updated 9:52 PM

GOOSE CREEK, S.C. — U.S. Sen. Lind­sey Graham said Tuesday that while South Carolinians and the nation are weary of war, the United States must make an effective strike in response to Syrian President Bashar Assad’s use of chemical weapons against his own people.

FILE/ASSOCIATED PRESS
U.S. Sen. Lind­sey Graham said Tuesday that the United States must make an effective strike in response to Syrian President Bashar Assad’s use of chemical weapons against his own people.

“I don’t want an open-ended, unlimited military campaign,” the Republican told reporters before speaking to a chamber of commerce group. “I’m not supporting a ‘check the box’ strike. I want a strike that will degrade Assad’s ability to deliver chemical weapons and change the tide of battle.”

Graham and Arizona Sen. John Mc­Cain met with President Obama on Monday and gave conditional support for an attack.

Graham said Tuesday that the president must lay out a clear case to Congress.

“This is the most illogical military operation I have ever seen – ramping up for war, then backing off. Not coming to Congress, then coming to Congress without telling the American people is just bizarre, but we are where we are,” said Graham, who expects a vote next week.

“The president of the United States has to tell us that Syria is a place we should care about,” Graham said.

“If you’re wondering here in South Carolina why Syria matters, I can tell you very quickly,” he said. “If the Iranians believe we don’t have the willingness and resolve to deal with Assad when he uses chemical weapons, they are going to take it as a sign we don’t care about their nuclear program.”

Graham said nuclear and chemical weapon technologies are nightmares in the hands of terrorists.

“My biggest fear is the technology developed by the Iranians could wind up in the hands of a terrorist and then it comes to Charleston Harbor or New York Harbor,” he said.

If Obama doesn’t get the votes for military action, it will be a symbol of weakness, Graham said. “But if he has a plan that has no chance of success, a weak response, that’s just as bad. I will only support a plan that has some chance of success.”

GnipGnop
GnipGnop 09/03/13 - 01:53 pm
then let them...

It's time for someone else to step up and pay the ultimate price...enough already. Let them kill each other off. We should be doing more for our own country rather than trying to solve the worlds problems. Bring our boys home NOW!

jimmymac
jimmymac 09/03/13 - 02:04 pm
SYRIA

I'm a die hard republican but I am in total disagreement with Graham and any other republican that gets us involved in the mess in Syria. No matter who wins we lose. It's none of our business and it should be dealt with by other Muslim countries. Not one American life should be lost in a winless war and we should stop getting mixed up in other peoples violence. We can defend ourselves and our allies and to H... with the rest of the world.

rdbike
rdbike 09/03/13 - 02:09 pm
Not our fight!

Let some other country step in and have their young men shot down or gassed. Our military has done more than their share in fighting other people's battles. The families of military men and women have endured enough.

my.voice
my.voice 09/03/13 - 02:35 pm
Ummmm......stop sending them

Ummmm......stop sending them several BILLION dollars each year? We have done enough in the ME to last a millenium, and none of it for the better I might add.

Afghanistan - Should have made a partking lot out of it.
Iraq - Dumb vengeance move. Its less stable than ever under Saddam.

Stop trying to bring peace over there. People who will blow themselves up aren't thinking like we do, so stop trying to westernize them. Let them destroy themselves.

Oh, and the next terror strike? Make a parking lot of the home country.

afadel
afadel 09/03/13 - 02:53 pm
southern2
southern2 09/03/13 - 02:55 pm
Hell No...We Won't Go!

Hell No...We Won't Go!

Dixieman
20766
Dixieman 09/03/13 - 03:13 pm
New Opportunity

John Kerry can now throw his (phony) medals over the White House fence BEFORE this war starts, then go hypocritically testify in favor of sending other, better men to fight it.

Darby
Darby 09/03/13 - 03:46 pm
"We should be doing more for our own

country rather than trying to solve the worlds problems. Bring our boys home NOW!"

Unfortunately, WE ARE doing this for our own country. Politician after politician for decades now have twiddled their thumbs at the prospect of energy independence.

We "say" that we are acting to "protect" the victims of violence in the Middle East but everything we do is calculated to keep the oil flowing. To keep the Suez Canal open; to keep the Strait of Hormuz open.

And all because we can't muster the political will to stare down the green-weenies here at home and do what we need to do to free ourselves of foreign oil.

All we need to do is pull out all the stops, do what we need to do and leave the Arabs to eat their sand and drink their oil.

And when I say "all the stops" I mean ALL THE STOPS. Drilling, fracking, coal, natural gas, open ANWAR and do anything else we need to do.

The time WILL come when we will leave fossil fuels and depend on solar and other so called "clean" energy. That day is nowhere on the horizon.

The economic process will tell us when that time comes, not some misguided, arrogant, ambitious politician with an agenda.

Darby
Darby 09/03/13 - 03:47 pm
And one more thing.....

"Bring our boys home NOW!"

What, you're gonna leave the females over there????

dreTT
dreTT 09/03/13 - 04:05 pm
I feel like I lost brain

I feel like I lost brain cells after reading this...

Darby
Darby 09/03/13 - 04:19 pm
"I feel like I lost brain cells after reading this..."

You can get back on track by re-reading
everything and while you do, keep repeating out loud....

Don't trust any politician. Don't trust Lindsey Graham, don't trust John McCain and above all, DON'T trust OzBama.

Darby
Darby 09/03/13 - 04:22 pm
"Vigil in Opposition to Military Intervention

in Syria Today"

I'm betting you could hold that little gathering in a broom closet.

GnipGnop
GnipGnop 09/03/13 - 06:05 pm
Well I meant

Service members...no disrespect to females that serve

Dixieman
20766
Dixieman 09/04/13 - 06:25 am
A first for me

Ever since I served in Vietnam in 1968-69 I have supported ALL military actions of the US -- Vietnam, Panama, Grenada, Desert Shield, Desert Storm....Afghanistan and Iraq. But I can't support this Syrian idiocy. There is no strategy, no specific set of goals, no exit plan, and no sense to it. Not to mention that Obama has dithered and backtracked and vacillated and telegraphed his punches which is going to make this militarily ineffective. I vote no. And believe me, when you've lost me on an issue of using America's military might -- a force for good -- you have lost the whole country. This lunacy needs to be stopped, and throwing out a few politicians is a good place to start.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 09/03/13 - 11:19 pm
Make up your mind

From the story:

He doesn't want the campaign to be too hot. He doesn't want the campaign to be too cold. He wants it to be ju - u - u - ust right.

Well, I'm sorry, Lindsey. War does not work that way. It is messy. It is cruel. "War is all hell," as General Sherman said.

The U.S. must not attack Syria under the evidence available to date.

Darby
Darby 09/04/13 - 01:21 am
"Well I meant Service members...no

disrespect to females that serve"

Well, I think we all knew what you meant, GnipGnop, I know I did.

I just couldn't resist showing off.

Sorry 'bout that.

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 09/04/13 - 06:54 am
Senator Graham

Why don't you go out and get a real job. I believe you are loosing touch with reality.

ymnbde
ymnbde 09/04/13 - 07:31 am
all it takes is a video

a few good liars a few good deniers
a few "really what does it matter" s
problem solved

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/04/13 - 07:55 am
It will matter to us when

We have that chemical pouch sitting in our laps & my friends...THAT could happen sooner than we think!

Don't be so fast to poo poo what is happening there. imho

nocnoc
nocnoc 09/04/13 - 08:31 am
In my humble opinion

I see a bigger picture.

The following is assuming we have been told the truth about the chemical weapons and their use and by whom.

Syria is in the middle of a civil war.
Not matter which side we take the other side will extremely (terrorist level) hate us. The winner will still hate us as usual. We are not making friends in the Arab world, just more enemies, every time we stick our nose in their affairs.

Syria has had very close ties with the X-USSR for 50+ years.
This is in all actuality a small proxy war between the USA and the X-USSR again.

Syria has Latakia, a large deep Warm water harbor with breakwater wall, that fits that bill for X-USSR warships or visiting IRANIAN Warships. Now think Suez Canal control and oil flow.

Syria has Nerve and Chemical (N&C) weapons.
But, Syria Rebels have also been seen and filmed with the same weapons.

The rebels have Al Quida (sp) backing???
Q: Haven't we been fighting them the last 10+ years?

Syria and Saddam both used X-USSR technology to develop their weapons. These are not crude devices, they are small as a football and many weight under 40 pounds could be easily imported in the USA via our POROUS borders.

Just what is true number of dead?.
“Doctors without borders” mentions at least 355 deaths.
The French claim 300-500 and The USA Admin. claims vary from 800 to now 1000's. There is also the question how Secretary of State John Kerry's claim of precisely 1,429 dead, and how has it since increased to "thousands." http://landing.newsinc.com/shared/video.html?freewheel=90962&sitesection...

So being an armchair quarterback.
Not believing much of what I hear as fact.
I don't trust the rebels, Al Quida, either of the Administrations and or muilt-country Intell data, nor the Republicans, the hawks or the doves.

I also remember we have 5 serious Administration Scandals being overlooked while this "sudden" emergency 1/2 a world away is being slowly drawn out.

HOWEVER, My one and only goal would be to locate & destroy the N&C weapons so that NO ONE CAN USE THEM.

BUT with several weeks warning notice, any one with have a brain, has loaded the weapon shells and loading fluids in to several dozen real and mixed them with decoy trucks, and then scattered them to the 4 winds to hide.

So we are now playing 3 card monte with 30+ vehicles in as many locations.

To get an idea of the size we are dealing with here.

angedelune
angedelune 09/04/13 - 09:20 am
if they vote for war

we vote them out of office. simple enough, threaten to start a revolution here at home by getting rid of the war-mongers

Bizkit
Bizkit 09/04/13 - 09:20 am
I don't see how any military

I don't see how any military action in Syria won't just exacerbate our problems and it could yield an equal and opposite reaction where we are attacked. If the Prez believed a video would irritate the people into action what the heck does he think a military strike will do???? Just no logic from Mr. Softy Obama to now try and act strong and drag us into something because of his wimpy past action. Like that more latitude Barack would have after the election in dealing with Russia-that really played well didn't it.

Bizkit
Bizkit 09/04/13 - 09:26 am
Graham criticizes Obama for

Graham criticizes Obama for his handling and arguments surrounding Syria yet he himself offers a poor excuse too linking it to Iran. Sorry to tell Graham nothing we've done will deter Iran and this may just instigate such an attack from Iran-not the other way around.

GnipGnop
GnipGnop 09/04/13 - 11:31 am
I know you did Darby

I just wanted to be clear...hate to labeled as a sexist :)

Darby
Darby 09/04/13 - 12:14 pm
Is it just me, or does anyone else out there

see an eerily troublesome similarity between the "intelligence" that convinced Bush and the world of weapons of mass destruction in Iraq and the very same "intelligence" that "confirms" the use of chemical weapons (Read WMD's) by Syria?

Is it Groundhog Day again???

GnipGnop
GnipGnop 09/04/13 - 01:05 pm
I bet you something tho Darby

Obama will not catch the hell Bush caught. Funny how he has kept and even added to most of the Bush policies but nobody is throwing shoes at him....