Government

More News | | | Editor

Augusta mother to speak to commission

Kenya James, who says her 15-year-old son was beaten by sheriff’s deputies who thought he was involved in a burglary, will air her concerns to Augusta Commission members Monday.

James is signed up to address the public safety committee at the request of commissioners Alvin Mason and Mar­ion Williams and Mayor Pro Tem Corey Johnson, according to meeting documents.

Her son Kyvan weighs 98 pounds and has epilepsy, she said.

Monday’s business includes five commission committee meetings and a called legal meeting. The meetings start at 12 p.m., with the public safety session scheduled to begin at 12:45 p.m.

Other items on the meeting agendas include:

• A vote on City Admin­is­trator Fred Russell’s recommendation for the position of Plan­ning and Development director to replace the retiring George Patty

• Approval of a $9.4 million set of bid awards for ongoing renovations at the municipal building

• A discussion of the “apparent ineffectiveness” of the city’s right of way and vacant lot cutting and clearing system, requested by Lockett

• Reconsideration, requested by Williams, of the CSRA Business League’s $175,000 proposal to work with local businesses to correct disparities in the awarding of city contracts to minority, women-owned and disadvantaged businesses

• A request from Augusta Housing and Community Develop­ment for a $2.5 million “bridge loan” to continue the Laney-Walker/Bethlehem revitalization project until 2015

• A discussion, requested by Mason and Lockett, of the city’s award of a transit contract to McDonald Transit, which has operated the service since Aug. 1

Pops
Pops 08/11/13 - 08:36 pm
No No No No

What else does she have to offer?

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 08/11/13 - 08:41 pm
Long Day

It's going to be a long day, mainly because of those items marked "discussion."

Here's another reason:

Other items on the meeting agendas include . . . • A request for a “comparative analysis” of the costs to operate Augusta Municipal Golf Course, Newman Tennis Center and the Augusta Aquatic Center from Commissioner Bill Lockett.

Why do all the drama of receiving the information in formal committee meeting setting? You can just make a request of Russell's secretary, and she will get with the appropriate department heads and get you the information in writing promptly. Then you will have the package you can analyze at your leisure in private. When you are reviewing it you might discover that you have more questions, which you can address in the same manner. You can do it more efficiently than grandstanding in committee meetings and in commission meetings.

corgimom
corgimom 08/11/13 - 08:46 pm
I'm still trying to figure

I'm still trying to figure out what the kid's epilepsy or his weight has to do with him running from a lawful command of a police officer to stop.

And what I'm REALLY trying to figure out is what the police did wrong? Are they not supposed to chase after a burglary suspect? Are they not supposed to capture someone who has disregarded their legal command to stop? How is this the police's fault in any way?

I nominate myself as being free from having to stop upon police command because I have fibromyalgia, I am disabled, and old.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 08/11/13 - 08:47 pm
Fleeing

Speaking of fleeing, you can bet that the police officers ordered Kyvan to halt while they were chasing him; but did he? No - o - o - o!

So, to all the Trayvon Martin apologists who criticize George Zimmerman for not heeding a non-emergency police dispatcher's recommendation; what do you say about Kyvan James’ disobeying lawful police orders to halt?

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 08/11/13 - 08:49 pm
Great Minds

Hey, Corgimom, we were thinking the same thing at the same time!

fatboyhog
fatboyhog 08/11/13 - 08:55 pm
Lack of responsibility

Mama is doing an excellent job of raising her son to shirk responsibility. Actions have consequences. Some positive, some negative. It's a shame that she can't see that her son bears the brunt of the blame. I still think that she should ride with a deputy several weekends to see what really goes on. Years ago, a deputy was shot in the back and head by a juvenile. To think that officers shouldn't be allowed to take control of a situation by using that degree of force that is necessary to effect the arrest is ridiculous. Kenya James is doing her son a great disservice. My kids wouldn't have to worry about the police had they been in this situation. They'd be more scared of me.
Mama is also using his size and medical condition to excuse his behavior. This way, he'll always be a victim; no matter what he does, he has an excuse and a mama willing to use that to justify his behavior. Why was he in the back yard of a house that just happened to be in the process of being burglarized at that very moment? Did mama even ask that question. If he was my son, he'd have lots of explaining to do.

Willie Loman
Willie Loman 08/11/13 - 08:53 pm
Thanks Corgi..

For speaking truth to power.

Pops
Pops 08/11/13 - 08:57 pm
She just sees

dollar signs.

GnipGnop
GnipGnop 08/11/13 - 09:22 pm
Now LL

You know that's 2 different things....sarcasm off

nocnoc
nocnoc 08/11/13 - 09:57 pm
Originally Kyvan had Asthma & epilepsy?

I guess NEWS of him running so good mentioned in the Newspaper required them to drop that one tear collecting angle.

Just so we all understand something,
his weight and Epilepsy -
has nothing to do with this incident.
Or the reason for the order to HALT.
It is just tossed into build public emotions.

Remember he was

TOLD NOT TO DO SOMETHING, BY THE POLICE.

He should have obey them and nothing would not have happen, other than likely a quick pat down and few questions.

I also see with Alvin Mason and Mar­ion Williams and Mayor Pro Tem Corey Johnson on the commission, there is no need for a Court House Step Reverend.

KSL
120955
KSL 08/12/13 - 11:35 am
I weighed 99 pounds most of

I weighed 99 pounds most of my life. What the heck does that have to do with anything?

just an opinion
just an opinion 08/11/13 - 10:14 pm
Parenting skills seminar?

Did everyone see his video on Facebook before it was taken down. It would have made Richard Prior blush. Your son was in the backyard of a house after 11 pm after it had be broken into. When the police arrived and told him to halt he ran. All these circumstances are going to lead to a bad result. Sorry he ended up with a bruise but what exactly do you expect? Now you want to lecture US?

mrenee2003
mrenee2003 08/11/13 - 10:21 pm
James

should not have run away; it was a bad move. Are you telling me, though, that the police cannot subdue a 98 pound, 15 year old kid without hitting his face with a flashlight? You really think that's OK?

Yeah, a quick pat down and few questions, must be nice to live in that world.

fatboyhog
fatboyhog 08/11/13 - 10:26 pm
mrrenee

Again, I implore you, and everyone else who keeps insisting that he was hit in the face with a flashlight, please think. Do you understand what a C or D cell Maglight (flashlight) would have done had he been hit in the face or head with a Maglight? He would most definitely have broken facial bones and some lacerations. Have you seen that facial trauma in the picture?

And, I'll ask you. Have you ever tried to arrest someone who didn't want to be arrested? What was the temperature that night? He was running. Don't you think that he was sweating? Have you ever tried to arrest a sweaty, combative person?

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 08/11/13 - 10:44 pm
Future Reporting

Maybe in a follow-up story, some intrepid Augusta Chronicle reporter will report whether Kenya James is married. It's at least as relevant as Kyvan James’ weight.

dichotomy
dichotomy 08/11/13 - 10:45 pm
He was running FROM a house

He was running FROM a house where they had just had a call about someone trying to break into a house. He failed to stop when the police told him to. He NEEDED to be thumped. And mama should have thumped him a little more when she got him home.

15 year olds today are killing people, stealing, having sex, and smoking dope. Don't even bring this "my innocent little baby" stuff.

Be thankful he wasn't seriously hurt and concentrate on finding out why he was running from that house.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 08/11/13 - 10:55 pm
Support

Until I learn otherwise, I'm going to give Commissioners Johnson, Mason and Williams the benefit of the doubt. I believe they will allow Ms. James to vent her complaint in open committee meeting, then they will thank her and tell her that the sheriff’s deputies acted reasonably and properly and followed procedures when encountering a fleeing suspect (or person of interest).

What about you?

Young Fred
Young Fred 08/12/13 - 03:36 am
LL: “It is a longstanding

LL: “It is a longstanding tradition for police officers to smack a person once or twice when they catch up with a person fleeing from them.”

Once or twice, or thrice, etc. At least those of us that have a life time of experience have come to expect.

Then again, there are some who actually believe this is America and a person running can expect a body tackle, hand cuffs and nothing more beyond Miranda. Hahaha

I'm sure 98% of the time, the perp deserves a litlle “roughing up”, It's the other 2% I worry about.

I Luvya ll

nocnoc
nocnoc 08/12/13 - 07:36 am
Why is this a Commission Agenda Issue?

Has our ARC Commission become a mixture of a Maury, Oprah, and Jerry Springer show?

Some Food for though, take it or leave it.

* This is what TV and Radio is for, not a Commission Meeting.

* These 3 Commissioners are wasting meeting time, by allowing her to publicly vent for the maximum incitement and exposure. What items will not be heard because of her likely extended speech?

* By allowing her to use the Commission meeting floor as semi-official whining pad, the 3 on the commission are running the likely risk of a bigger payout in a ARC vs. Mad Mama lawsuit surely headed down the road.

* This is a contrived situation and I wonder which commissioner(s) came up with it, and why?

myfather15
myfather15 08/12/13 - 08:15 am
mrenee and others

I've participated in hundreds of such incidents over 16 years. I've been accused several times of using a flashlight to hit someone, when it simply was NOT true!! Has it never occurred to you that these people see BIG DOLLARS? Do you not believe people will lie for money?

I want to further add that I HAVE used a flashlight against someone fighting me. If it's dark, I have a flashlight in my hand while chasing someone. When I catch that person, and THEY DECIDE to fight, instead of going to jail, what are you supposed to do; drop the flashlight? You would be giving THEM a offensive weapon to be used AGAINST you. You NEVER drop ANY item, which can be used offensively against you. So, if it's ALREADY in your hand and the suspect is FIGHTING, guess what? It doesn't mean you beat them mercilessly, but you use whatever you can to WIN and END the fight, taking that person into custody.

Also, if you drop your flashlight and they pick it up to use against you, then a law enforcement officer is justified in using deadly force against them; which could be shooting them. Could you imagine the left's RAGE, if I dropped MY flashlight and the suspect picked it up to hit me with, and I shot him dead? They would go absolutely insane!! They would be calling for me to be charged with murder!!

allhans
allhans 08/12/13 - 08:08 am
Now we know if we have a

Now we know if we have a grievance we can air it to the commission...it's good to know they have so much time.

myfather15
myfather15 08/12/13 - 08:11 am
"It is a longstanding

"It is a longstanding tradition for police officers to smack a person once or twice when they catch up with a person fleeing from them."

THIS, is a tradition that with the majority of officer's, went away quite a while ago. If someone is simply running, and they are caught and choose NOT to fight, they are taken into custody and it's a WIN for the good guys. Hitting them is NOT needed!! Training over the past 15 to 20 years has done well to teach officers better than to hit people for revenge. It simply doesn't happen, THAT OFTEN. I won't deny that SOME still hold that mindset, but they need not have it around me!!

If we catch them, they don't fight and are taken into custody, it's a WIN, enough done!! BUT, if we catch them and THEY DECIDE to fight us, then a fight is what they get!! We will try to subdue them with the least amount of force necessary, but that doesn't always work!! Many times, it's a fight for your life and you've got to do, what you've got to do, period!!

nocnoc
nocnoc 08/12/13 - 08:14 am
fatboyhog - Had a night stick crackover my head

Bell Auditorium Rock concert incident back in the 1971-72.?
Brought me down to my knees and I stopped trying to help the teen APD was dragging out the door by the hair.

What did my parents say?
No they did not head down town for a staged news conference.
They did not hire a lawyer.

They simply said something like:
"If you going to do stupid things that could get you hurt, learn to duck."

lifelongresident
lifelongresident 08/12/13 - 08:55 am
HER SPEECH

of course she will come dressed in a "hoodie" and carrying a pack of skittles and an "iced tea" claiming "may son he be a guut boy he aint not want to doo'd break in dat house ob-ah dair da poleeses is racist/racism and mah son be scairt dat dey profile him and shoot him like dey did fo trayvon so he was jhess walkin by he self he aint not do nuthin fo sho as why dey beat him up cause we alt know da white pee-po dey be racist andc stuff lookin fo us black pee-po to arress fo nuthin, dats why we caint not read or do our let-tah's too guud cause of da white pee-po, i called pres obamah da otha day so he can talks about mah son too like he did fo trayvon cause i be black and its racism/racist on da poleese force cause mah son a guut boy fo sho, i teachin him rite from wronk and how to git de foo stamps and de welfare instead of werking or goin to school cause de wite man keepin us from goin to school so he gonna kno how to git de welfare and foo stamps and grow up to be shiftless and lazy and to libb of de guh-bah-ment like i do"..there you have it folks her speech for the commissioners in her allotted time of 5 mins, nothing of substance nor will she explain what her sorry azz son was doing in the back yard of the house..but nevertheless she will claim racism/racist (ho-hum..as usual) and demand the deputy be fired the that her son is a good boy and he now will be scared of the police forever-all teh while wearing her best CITI TRENDS outfit she just purchased over the weekend with her welfare money.....

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/12/13 - 09:01 am
Let the woman vent

I actually want to hear what she has to say...& thanks myfather for this..

Hitting them is NOT needed!! Training over the past 15 to 20 years has done well to teach officers better than to hit people for revenge. It simply doesn't happen, THAT OFTEN...

It doesn't happen that often......but sometimes it does...

Young Fred
Young Fred 08/12/13 - 09:02 am
I here ya nocnoc,The side of

I here ya nocnoc,

The side of my head became acquainted with one of those long heavy flashlights merely because I was with a fool, who was acting the fool.

This was the late 70’s – When I waxed poetic about the injustice of it all, my Mom calmly explained that when you lie with dogs, you’re bound to get fleas.

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 08/12/13 - 09:31 am
People of the

Negroid ethnicity seem to have more excuses than Carter's Liver pills.

myfather15
myfather15 08/12/13 - 10:23 am
I'm not here to lie to anyone;

If I said it NEVER happens, I would be lying. But, it has become very rare for officer's to hit non-combative suspects. People might not believe this, but it's true.

Sheriff's and Chief's are the main weapons against such incidents. If deputies and officer's know their boss has a no-tolerance attitude, they will change too. That doesn't mean you hang-out-to-dry, the first officer ACCUSED of such things. But you thoroughly investigate allegations and if substantiated, punishment is coming!!

Also, crippling lawsuits have also curtailed some of this. Because deputies and officer's have LIABILITY training, pounded into their heads constantly. We KNOW that our entire lives can be turned upside down because of ONE decision of poor judgement. That's why the MAJORITY of us, don't do this anymore. Those who still do it, usually don't last long in the profession.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 08/12/13 - 10:26 am
I think the kid should have

I think the kid should have watched this instructional video.

Darby
Darby 08/12/13 - 11:24 am
Most likely the commission will listen politely,

then hem and haw about a thorough investigation before taking action.

If they are smart, that is.