Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Gordon Highway nightclub facing closure after illegal adult show

Police say minor served alcohol at illegal adult show

Sunday, May 26, 2013 7:35 PM
Last updated 8:03 PM

The Gordon Highway nightclub Skittlez faces closure after an April 27 incident involving an illegal adult show and a minor being served alcohol.

Map View

Javascript is required to view this map.

The Richmond County Sher­iff’s Office has asked the Au­gusta Commission to consider suspending, revoking or placing on probation the club’s business, alcohol and dance hall licenses based on a complaint that deputies say was substantiated on video.

The club at 1855 Gordon Highway also didn’t have a single-event adult entertainment license, the only option available to clubs seeking to hold adult shows outside the three-bar downtown adult entertainment district, according to documents presented by Augusta Planning and Development.

Club owner Timothy Low­ery said the underage patron used a fake ID when he entered with the group putting on the show, and that staff immediately shut the club down when a member of the group exposed himself at the end of the night to the crowd.

“We thought he went too far; that’s why we cut it and ended everything,” Lowery said.

He said his club is being targeted by other Augusta clubs because of its success as the Southeast’s top black gay club outside Atlanta.

“People just don’t like gay clubs,” Lowery said.

The club holds 176 people and typically caters to a crowd of about 150 when open, he said.

Skittlez, open since July, had no police calls or incidents in a recent Chronicle analysis of crime at clubs.

nocnoc
nocnoc 05/27/13 - 07:57 am
The meat of this story is

Augusta Clubs downtown have a lock on adult entertainment.

Actually many have helped support that unwritten law since the 1980's. Just to keep such things out of the South-side and West-side, by working with several political brokers and Zoning.

But if Augusta is going to be PC about this (which I am not) Why not allow Gay venues in the 900 block of Broad St.?☻

Augustan's should see a long and costly YMCA Police officer lawsuit in the works.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 05/27/13 - 08:18 am
Actually, I don't know why

Actually, I don't know why they can't legally zone them off Broad St.; I wish they would and relegate those seedy businesses to a side street somewhere.

I have nothing against adult entertainment clubs; it is a voluntary arrangement adults choose to engage in, and courts have determined it is legal. Been to a few myself in my younger days, but I still think it isn't flattering to a city to have them on the main drag.

seenitB4
seenitB4 05/27/13 - 08:52 am
If it is legal

Why can't they put it downtown too?

Riverman1
Riverman1 05/27/13 - 08:56 am
IAD and SeenIt

Ahhhh, if everyone could only understand the influence the Broad St. strip clubs have had on public officials for the past 40 years.

jrbfromga
jrbfromga 05/27/13 - 09:40 am
People just don't like gay clubs?

No, people just don't like gays.

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 05/27/13 - 10:40 am
Riverman: I've had a few old

Riverman: I've had a few old time Augustans tell me about the influence. Don't know how much of it is true but a lot of it makes sense to me.

Riverman1
Riverman1 05/27/13 - 05:40 pm
GAD

Oh, they had and still have, I imagine, friends in the highest places of law enforcement and the judicial system. That's why when I hear all the flowery talk sometime about how great certain people and THINGS were, I smile knowing the reality.

I had the immense good fortune to meet former Augusta City Councilman Jim Tarver when my mother was in an assisted living home with him before he died. He was a former cab driver who was elected to the old Augusta City Commission. He knew EVERYTHING. If you wanted to hear the inside story about corruption in Augusta and the peccadillos of some of the public officials, Jim wouldn’t let you down. I spent many an afternoon on the porch of the nursing home with him and my mother chatting and laughing about Augusta’s well known.

tanbaby
tanbaby 05/27/13 - 01:30 pm
skittlez ...taste the

skittlez ...taste the rainbow....

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 05/27/13 - 06:17 pm
SB4

Zoning laws allow officials to place legal activities wherever they want them, within certain bounds of course.

Willie Loman
Willie Loman 05/27/13 - 07:42 pm
Who Knew...

...that Augusta was home to the the "Southeast’s top black gay club outside Atlanta?" I'm sure the Snake Lady is jealous.

nocnoc
nocnoc 05/27/13 - 08:10 pm
I guess my last comment was too much for some.

Summary:

I asked if it was OK for _____ to apply racial segregation to their clubs. eg. White _____ clubs vs. Black _____ clubs.
and was it PC?

More than likely it was deleted because I used ___________ instead
of the PC term "Gay"

Comment based on Staff Writer Sunday, May 26, 2013 7:35 PM
Last updated 8:03 PM

triscuit
triscuit 05/27/13 - 09:38 pm
A club that has had no police

A club that has had no police calls, yet they want to close it? What about all the straight clubs that have multiple calls, shootings, etc?.

triscuit
triscuit 05/27/13 - 09:38 pm
A club that has had no police

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 05/28/13 - 09:23 am
Triscuit, I know what you

Triscuit, I know what you mean. Straight clubs have shootings and all sorts of mayhem spilling out into the parking lot, but a guy flashes his junk at a gay club and they want to shut it down.

Sean Moores
Sean Moores 05/28/13 - 09:28 am
@ nocnoc 08:10 pm

We didn't remove any comments from this story. You probably didn't post it. We will remove comments with slurs though.