Government

More News | | | Editor

Broun takes aim at 'fiscal irresponsibility'

Senate could be big forum for initiatives

Tuesday, March 26, 2013 8:58 PM
Last updated 9:40 PM

Paul Broun has dual roles these days: 10th District U.S. representative and Republican candidate for the U.S. Senate.

Rep. Paul Broun would like to see the creation of a biomedical research corridor anchored in Augusta.  JIM BLAYLOCK/STAFF
JIM BLAYLOCK/STAFF

While Congress is on Easter recess, Broun drove from his Oconee County home Tuesday to visit constituents in the lower part of the district, and he said he hopes election to the Senate will give him a bigger platform to fight for fiscal responsibility.

“We need to take some good, Georgia common sense to Washington, balance our budget and stop the out-of-control spending that both parties have been doing,” Broun said.

Several times, Broun blamed both parties for budget deficits, but most of his criticism – primarily on fiscal issues, but also on such hot-button topics as health care and immigration – was aimed across the aisle.

“It’s very difficult when the Democrats think you just need to spend more money and grow the size of government, when most Americans think that we need to stop spending money we don’t have, be financially responsible and live within our means,” he said. “The Democrats want to raise taxes on everybody, which is going to harm the economy – and already is. When you have two different philosophies that are so far apart, it’s extremely difficult.”

Still, he said, the Re­pub­lican leadership hasn’t done enough to rein in spending, either. That’s why he voted against the recently passed budget written by Rep. Paul Ryan.

“It didn’t cut spending. It just slowed the growth in spending from a 5 percent increase per year to a 3.4 percent increase per year,” Broun said. “That’s being fiscally irresponsible in my opinion.

“The American people are beginning to understand that we’ve got to have a balanced budget amendment,” he said, “and that’s one thing I can do in the Senate. I could help to get the American people to understand that they’ve got to demand a balanced budget from their representatives in the House and Senate.”

As he seeks that Senate seat, Broun likely will pick up another Republican opponent today, when his colleague, U.S. Rep. Phil Gingrey, is expected to announce his plans to run at a news conference at Georgia Regents University – where both he and Broun earned medical degrees.

Broun said he also expects U.S. Rep. Jack Kingston to seek the Republican nomination for the Senate seat being vacated by Saxby Chambliss. Democratic U.S. Rep. John Barrow on Monday would only say he’s focused on serving in his House seat when asked whether he’s also contemplating a Senate run.

With the potential of freshmen congressmen taking over the vacated 10th and 12th District seats, Broun worries that his longtime goal of establishing a biomedical research corridor anchored in Augusta will be more difficult – but one that will need him even more as a champion in the Senate.

“What I’ve been touting ever since I’ve been in Congress … is that Georgia should be that biomedical research and biomedical technology state,” he said. “And Augusta should anchor that because of the resources we have right here.”

Riverman1
Riverman1 03/26/13 - 10:24 pm
Broun and Gingrey Similar

Broun and Gingrey remind me of each other with their statements designed to be provocative and controversial. Jack Kingston seems a resonable and younger alternative. Plus he could bring in the South Georgia vote. Who cares who the Democrats run. He/she will lose anyway. Barrow better not let his victory over Lee Anderson swell his head. He would be ill advised to run a statewide race.

wildman
wildman 03/27/13 - 04:54 am
Joke

They are all a joke, yes Dr. Broun you are one of the best jokes going. A caller on the radio asked you about the budget screw ups at SRS and you asked them to call and give you the information this was the first you had heard. The bottom line is, they had already called and sent you an email and you still don't know nor had you done anything about it. Same on junk from the do nothings in DC.

townsends
townsends 03/27/13 - 06:18 am
6th year

“We need to take some good, Georgia common sense to Washington,..."
So for almost six years what kind of common sense have you taken to Washington?
"I could help to get the American people to understand that they’ve got to demand a balanced budget from their representatives in the House and Senate.”
News flash Congressman Broun, I do not need any help in understanding that you need to do your job, nor do I need help in understanding that I should demand it. Maybe I can help you with something, such as help you find a new job when it is time to elect you to a new position, or reelect you when the time comes. It is very apparent to me that you and your colleagues do not know how to do the jobs you are hired to do, like balance the US budget.
Oh and please, no more excuses, there is nothing worse than a grown man crying about how they could not get the job done. I do not accept excuses from my teenage daughters, and I do not accept them from you or your colleagues.
Not that you will ever read this but it does make me feel better, much like how I imagine I will feel once I show my appreciation for your teams work during the next election cycle.

Truth Matters
Truth Matters 03/27/13 - 06:55 am
Broun for Senate...

I don't think so. Though my reason my be different than those already expressed here, he won't get my vote. I regard the way a public official comports oneself in public as a lesson for others and those younger who may aspire to go into public service. I have seen nothing in this man's behavior that I would want emulated by those coming behind him. When I took high school civics our teachers made sure we understood the privilege and honor it was to serve. Whether the official was D- or R- we looked up to them as role models. Rep. Broun and his cohorts need to Stop making the rest of Georgia look like "Honey Boo Boo." (If I can borrow part of a phrase from our former First Lady of Augusta.)

robaroo
robaroo 03/27/13 - 07:04 am
Balanced Budget Amendment

Excellent idea!

Let's see if any politicians make a serious effort at making it happen. (Just introducing a bill without doing the homework doesn't count.)

ColCo
ColCo 03/27/13 - 07:31 am
Glad he is running

because it frees up the seat in the 10th District for someone else. The only view he'll have of the Senate will be on C-Span.

my.voice
my.voice 03/27/13 - 08:07 am
>> Broun takes aim at 'fiscal

>> Broun takes aim at 'fiscal irresponsibility' <<

What? Irresponsibility? Really? When did that start? I really need to start paying better attention.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 03/27/13 - 08:33 am
>> Broun takes aim . . .

Joe Biden won't like the headline.

Willie Loman
Willie Loman 03/27/13 - 11:29 pm
Same Stuff Different Day!

Same Stuff Different Day!

'Go Downtown' initiative gets mixed reviews

The "Go Downtown" initiative aims to foster a downtown environment that welcomes the college community and creates business for merchants. The event is held every third Thursday of the month ...