Lawmakers weigh 'slowpoke driver' law

Tuesday, Feb. 26, 2013 9:59 AM
Last updated 8:03 PM

ATLANTA — Slowpokes, beware!

Legislation introduced in the Georgia Legislature would make it illegal to linger in what’s supposed to be the fast lane.

According to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, state Rep. Bill Hitchens, R-Rincon, on Monday introduced House Bill 459, which would make it illegal to drive in the left lane except for overtaking and passing another vehicle. The new measure would only apply if another car is trying to get by.

If busted, the offender could be ticketed for impeding traffic flow.

Hitchens, a former head of the state Department of Public Safety, wants to make it illegal, essentially, to drive in the left lane on all controlled access highways at all, except:

When passing another vehicle.

When no other vehicle is directly behind the vehicle in the left lane.

When traffic make it impractical to drive in the right lane.

When weather conditions make it necessary to drive in the left lane.

When obstructions or hazards exist in the right lane.

When a vehicle changes lanes to comply with other laws.

faithson
faithson 02/26/13 - 10:16 am
'bout time

I am sure we all have seen this one. Thanks to Rep. Hitchens for acting.

soapy_725
soapy_725 02/26/13 - 10:25 am
Will we then see a law about bikers impeding

traffic flow? No. Minimum speed on state and federal highways enforced? No. Bicyclist are saving the planet. They are a special protected minority. And this is, a minority / special interest controlled country.

Another law that will not be enforced, especially on rainy days. Another law like the one that requires auto insurance companies to notify the state when a liability policy lapses so that the police can confiscate the license plate of the law breaker. Remember, this law was to save us big time by eliminating driver without insurance. LOL LOL

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 02/26/13 - 10:25 am
Good

It's a step in the right direction, but it will be seldom enforced. We needed it this morning on Bobby Jones Expressway. There was a compact car in the left hand lane, closely followed by a Suburban, going 50-55 mph. In the right hand lane, driving right along with the Suburban, was a Tahoe. Since the compact car and the Tahoe were going the same speed, no one could pass and you had cars jammed up in both lanes for a mile or more. Tacky and selfish.

lh
lh 02/26/13 - 10:32 am
law has always been there

If you would read the sings on the roadway It's states " slower traffic keep right." " keep right except to pass." They need to enforce the law about the suicide lane. some believe it is there lane to pass everyone and travel to where they want to turn.

daphne3520
daphne3520 02/26/13 - 10:37 am
OJP
OJP 02/26/13 - 10:38 am
Finally. If measurable, I'm curious what the negative economic

impact of less-than-the-speed-limit drivers is.

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 02/26/13 - 10:45 am
Hallelujah!

Now, if the po-po will just enforce it, I'd be willing to bet that the number of speed-related accidents will drop after the nitwits who want to control other drivers finally are forced to stop obstructing the smooth flow of traffic.

There also might be a major reduction in the amount of road rage on roads like I-20.

Russell Foster
Russell Foster 02/26/13 - 11:01 am

SO many people drive slow in the left lane. It drives me crazy. This is good because too many people think it's acceptable and are not educated that this is wrong!

Clemintime
Clemintime 02/26/13 - 11:20 am
Left Lane Snafu

My driving experience finds that the obstacles in the left lane tend to be the entitlement or low information class of drivers.

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 02/26/13 - 11:36 am
My driving experience also

My driving experience also finds that the obstacles in the left lane do it intentionally and will give you the one finger salute when you are able to get past them. Beware, they also tend to slam on brakes in order to be able to make that"One Call, That's All"!! These same obstacles will also drive in the left lane until just before an exit then cut across 1 to 3 lanes of traffic to exit the roadway, causing more traffic dangers. Please make it a $1000.00 fine!!!!!

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 02/26/13 - 11:42 am
I honestly thought that this

I honestly thought that this was already illegal.

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 02/26/13 - 12:00 pm
I surmise

that the problem has become so common because people who never used to own cars or drive now can afford it, but they didn't avail themselves of a driver training course while they were in high school.

They haven't a clue that they shouldn't drive just anywhere and any way they like.

For some people, they prefer the left lane because it's in so much better shape than the right lane, and I am one of them when traffic is light enough for doing that. But we quickly move over for faster traffic. It's the oblivious, the self-absorbed and the angry-entitled who cause the problems. They deserve a good lashing.

nocnoc
nocnoc 02/26/13 - 12:02 pm
Yet another law

for what should be common sense.

DawgnSC69
DawgnSC69 02/26/13 - 12:06 pm
Usual Suspects

The usual suspects are Obama Voters driving a Mercedes.

Augusta resident
Augusta resident 02/26/13 - 01:37 pm
I can be doing 10 over in the

I can be doing 10 over in the "fast lane" and still get tailgated, I'm one of the slow pokes ya'll hate. When I cross into Ga on I-20, people are going 85 in a 55.

john
john 02/26/13 - 01:49 pm
AR

Well, move over then.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 02/26/13 - 02:11 pm
Dittos John

It isn't their place to regulate speeders. It causes road rage and makes people takes chances trying to zoom around on the right.

If one is bothered by another driver's actions, get a tag number and call the police.

justthefacts
justthefacts 02/26/13 - 02:12 pm
john

Well said. What's the problem AR?

OJP
OJP 02/26/13 - 02:23 pm
Chiming in to agree about Augusta resident's comment.

All you have to do is get over. Problem solved (for everyone).

freedombelle
freedombelle 02/26/13 - 02:24 pm
It should have already been a

It should have already been a ticketed offence otherwise the signs were no good..So many drivers today don't know what courtesy is..and it's not our job to be the "police" in the left lane..too many people "park" there as if it belongs to them..it IS a passing lane, let's use it for that...I'm all for it!

rocketserve
rocketserve 02/26/13 - 02:27 pm
Just curious

Will this law be a defense for being ticketed for going 85 on I-20 when the traffic in the right lane is going 75? IMO this is will become a huge defense for speeders in the left lane passing cars. I live in metro Atlanta and if you are not doing at least 10mph over the speed limit, you BETTER be in the right lane and people will still flash their lights at you to speed up. It is common for me to do at least 10 over the speed limit in the left lane on roads with 3-4 lanes and still get pushed to go faster.

justthefacts
justthefacts 02/26/13 - 02:56 pm
Rocketserve

I live in Hotlanta too. I had a flat on 285 the other day and when I pulled to the side three guys jacked up my car, changed my tire and told me hurry up, I was in 3rd place!!

OJP
OJP 02/26/13 - 03:08 pm
@rocketservice

I haven't read the proposed law but I imagine it will simply specify which lanes you must yield to traffic in.

On a standard two lane interstate or highway, you will be ticketed for going under the speed limit in the left lane; in the right lane, you will not.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 02/26/13 - 03:32 pm
"If you would read the sings

"If you would read the sings on the roadway It's states " slower traffic keep right."

There is usually a sign posting the maximum speed limit as well, so my question is, why are people so outraged if you violate one, because it prevents them from violating the other?

chascushman
chascushman 02/26/13 - 03:45 pm
“Individuals who are not part

“Individuals who are not part of the daily economic engine need to get to the right to let the rest of us be as productive as possible.”
I agree anyone with an Obama bumper sticker should be required to drive in the right lane.

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 02/26/13 - 04:15 pm
No one.

No one should be speeding unless it is an emergency situation. That does not mean late for a movie, dinner, date, or even work. No one should be in the passing lane unless they are legally passing a car. If everyone is going the speed limit, there should not be anyone passing! If you must pass a vehicle that is going under the speed limit, change lanes properly before and after, using blinkers and safe distances. The life you save may be yours.

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 02/26/13 - 09:06 pm
rocketserve

rocketserve, it is near impossible to go 55 in the slow lane in the section of I-20 that approaches the Savannah River, too. You get tail-gated by speeders. But I must go 55; it is the law.

mosovich
mosovich 02/26/13 - 09:31 pm
Never be enforced..

They don't enforce the speed limit, so what makes you think they will enforce this..

Young Fred
19589
Young Fred 02/27/13 - 02:15 am
Every day, I20 east bound at about 5pm

From the Ga state line on -

Every single day, it happens. The speed limit is 65 and moves up to 70.

Of course, nobody pays attention (they've usually got a dang phone stuck to their ear).

Putting along doing about oh, 50 to 55 in the left lane. What makes it worse is the truckers. They'll come up on cousin trucker doing 50 in the right lane, so what will they do? Move to the left doing 52 holding up about, I don't know, around 50 other motorist.

SheilaJ15
SheilaJ15 02/27/13 - 07:50 am
One Other Except-able Reason

I can think of one other reason it should be OK to drive in the left lane other than when passing another car. When approaching a left turn and traffic is so jammed up that if you don't get over soon enough in the left lane, you won't be able to make your left turn. Many times I have had to by-pass my left turn because I could not get over in time to make my left turn and had to go down the road a piece and turn around to come back to the turn I wanted to make. Having your left turn signal on to let others know you need to get over does not always get you a courteous driver that will slow down to let you over.

Local merchants welcome Small Business Saturday

With having to compete with e-commerce and national retailers during the holiday season, local merchants welcome the spotlight that comes with Small Business Saturday.