Government

More News | | | Editor

Ga. bill would prevent cities from requiring dog neutering

Tuesday, Feb. 26, 2013 7:36 AM
Last updated 6:22 PM

ATLANTA – Local governments would be powerless to ban certain dog breeds, require neutering or prevent the tethering of those used in shows, field trials or disability services under legislation pending in the House of Representatives.

The bill is pitting animal-rights groups concerned about the 6 million uncared for animals destroyed yearly across the country against hunters in the home state of Waynesboro which bills itself as the Bird Dog Capital of the World.

Monday, the sponsor of the measure, House Bill 409, acknowledged it is likely to generate spirited opposition. But Rep. David Knight, R-Griffin, said he is trying to halt local prohibitions on law-abiding people before they can become a trend sweeping across the state.

“I don’t think it’s right of the government to say you’ve got to spay or neuter your dog to keep it,” said Knight, who also leads the effort to eliminate red tape as the chairman of the House Small Business Development & Job Creation Committee.

Knight introduced the bill Wednesday, and it’s now pending in the House State Planning & Community Affairs Committee. The committee hasn’t yet announced a hearing or scheduled a vote on it.

Knight, an avid hunter who shows off photos of his dog to House visitors on his iPad, said many outdoors enthusiasts care for their pets and treat them almost as a member of the family. Tethering, breeding and training are part of the sport.

However, the Atlanta Humane Society President William Shaheen has already been looking to hire a lobbyist to fight the bill.

“As an organization dedicated to animal welfare, Atlanta Humane Society has significant concerns related to proposed House Bill 409 pertaining to limiting the ability of local county and municipal government to enforce spay and neuter legislation,” he said. “As part of our ongoing effort to reduce the number of unwanted animals in the state of Georgia each year, Atlanta Humane Society provides low-cost spay and neuter services onsite at our clinic located on Howell Mill Road and to underserved communities outside of Metro Atlanta by utilizing a mobile surgical utility vehicle.”

nocnoc
nocnoc 02/26/13 - 08:06 am
I am all for logical, caring and ethic treatment of animals

But let us remember they do not have rights, they don't vote, they don't speak, and a vast majority are nothing more than overfed, lazy pets that bark or want outside to do their business, then bark to get back in.

But regarding domesticated pets, that does not give any one the right to tell someone what they can own, to sterilize it, not tie it to a shaded 50 foot run with 25 feet of lanyard with food and water.

As long someone is properly feeding, watering and medically caring for their pet, everyone should butt out.

If a person is fighting their pets, like seems to be the stereotypical fad with certain cultures. They should serve time, and have a restraining protective order placed on them for life, banning them from being within 50 feet of any pet animals.

MarinerMan
MarinerMan 02/26/13 - 08:33 am
There In Lies the Rub

I agree with your basic comment, but you said, "As long someone is properly feeding, watering and medically caring for their pet, everyone should butt out". There in lies the rub. There are FAR TOO MANY people that do NOT take care of their pets. And there are too many that just throw together a run, and don't think about the possibility of their dog getting hung up. As long as they are on property, I have no problems with runs. BUT, if they leave the house and leave the dog hooked up, then I have a BIG problem. And speaking of Waynesboro, what a bout the two [filtered word]that tied their dog up, did not take care of it, and it was basically eaten alive by fire ants. Animal Control had to rescue the dog, and it had to be put down. And the two [filtered word]are still alive and well today, with NO punishment ! Unless it is a show dog with champion bloodlines, it probably should be fixed. Mine is, and I have no problem with this.

nocnoc
nocnoc 02/26/13 - 10:14 am
If only we could

spade and neuter Non-Quality / No-Show people,???? Doesn't sound right inserting the word people does it?

Be Careful
Don't forget several mixed Dog breeds (aka Mutts) have become very popular registered AKC registered breeds over the last 100 years.

Yes, I oppose forced sterilization by law.
Just because a pet does not meet someone's definition of "quality" is not a reason for a law. The whole concept sounds like a Aryan Race decree "Law for the Prevention of Hereditary Diseased Offspring" but as applied to animals.

A Quote by someone I cannot remember the name of:
"... how a society treats its animals is how that society eventually will treat its members."

Any one lining up for a snip or a plumbing job?

MarinerMan
MarinerMan 02/26/13 - 10:54 am
Yeah, But,

When I was growing up ('60s) , we all had "mutts", and probably very few were fixed. And there was the neighborhood tramp that always stayed pregnant with puppies. But my neighbor, as well as when my dog had puppies, took the responsibility to find good homes for them. Heck, back then, everybody wanted a dog. Fast forward fifty years, and things are not like they used to be. Once again, I agree with what you are saying, but there are just TOO many people that are NOT as responsible as maybe you and I are/were. We love Chipper, our rescue dog from the Columbia County Humane Society. The problem is, they just can't find homes fast enough anymore. I would oppose a blanket sterilization law, but to be exempted, you would have to register your promise of responsibility of any puppies you might create. Oh yeah, one other thing -- when we put Gizmo to sleep about five years ago, I said to the Vet that we treat our pets with more compassion than we do our own family members.

Russell Foster
Russell Foster 02/26/13 - 11:08 am
TOO MANY DOGS EUTHANIZED

There are certain dogs that breed easier than others. Even with all the education out there, TOO MANY DOGS are euthanized on a daily basis.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 02/26/13 - 01:58 pm
My dogs are purebred from

My dogs are purebred from show quality bloodlines and both are fixed.

dichotomy
dichotomy 02/26/13 - 11:25 pm
I am just opposed to the

I am just opposed to the government, any government, telling me that I must have my dog neutered. I know all of the arguments and I agree with neutering. I am just opposed to being forced to do it by government.

I remember when Augusta/RC was talking about taxing our pets and charging one tax for neutered pets and a higher tax for pets that were not neutered. I went to the meeting and asked the commissioners if I could get a property tax break if I got my wife neutered. In case nobody gets the point, I disagree with the government using the power of taxation, or fines, or fees, for social engineering.....including the pet neutering issue.

It's like all of the other ridiculous laws they want to put on the books to try and solve every little problem that comes up.......the people who are irresponsible with the un-neutered pets running loose will STILL be doing the same thing. It will SOLVE NOTHING. Just like the folks who commit crimes with illegal guns will still be doing it regardless of any new gun control laws.

We used tobe government by the people. Now we have government by the busybodies and crusaders.

If you find someone mistreating an animal...prosecute them. There are already laws on the books. But don't be having some Barney Fife trying to give me a ticket because I tether my dog to a tree or something while I step inside to use a public restroom or buy a soft drink.

justthefacts
justthefacts 02/27/13 - 07:58 am
Don't leave us hanging

"I went to the meeting and asked the commissioners if I could get a property tax break if I got my wife neutered." What did they say??

Adam Bomb
Adam Bomb 02/27/13 - 08:25 am
What the...?

Maybe the people who think up these laws should be spayed/neutered. I'd support this one if the lawmaker includes in his proposal a way for the government to foot the bill. They just pass new laws but never think about how it's going to be paid for.

Richard Bridges
Richard Bridges 02/28/13 - 04:53 pm
Anti-Pet, Anti-human safety bill HB 409

There is no county/city in GA with a mandatory s/n law. However, GA does rank No. 1 in the killinig of shelter animals which is way shelter animals and vicious/dangerous dogs are/may be required to be s/n.
However, you are missing the point.This law completely takes away home rule from counties and cities on animal control/care issues in their local area. Rep. Knight stated that this makes for “smaller” government. With state government dictating to the counties what they can/can not do, it looks like “BIG” government to me.

Every county in GA is different. Approximately 80 of the 159 counties do not even have animal control. The issues of over population, shelter costs, licensing, tethering, puppy mills, transportation, etc. are different and need to be addressed on a local level.

Many remember Carl Sanders

ATLANTA -- A large crowd filled a downtown Atlanta church Saturday for the memorial service for Carl Sanders, an Augusta native who had served as governor in the height of the Civil Rights Movement.