Government

More News | | | Editor

First event at Augusta Convention Center on Sunday

A bridal expo Sunday will be the first public event held at Augusta Convention Center, even before the center officially opens its doors.

About 40 exhibitors have booked space at the Reynolds Street center, also known as the TEE Center, for the Brides & Bouquets expo, to be held from 1 to 5 p.m. Sunday, according to organizer John Kane, an advertising manager for TAC Media, the umbrella brand for The Augusta Chronicle and its portfolio publications and digital products.

The event, to include a fashion show of men’s and women’s wedding attire, precedes Thursday’s grand opening of the convention center and a business expo sponsored by the Augusta Metro Chamber of Commerce.

Another event scheduled before the grand opening is the center’s first convention, a gathering Tuesday and Wednesday of a group called HFW Distributors.

The complex’s opening was marred by controversy after a proposed convention, the January meeting of Georgia police chiefs, backed out because of the Augusta Commission’s inability to approve operating agreements for the center with Augusta Riverfront LLC, which runs the adjoining Marriott at the Convention Center. The firm shares management with Morris Communications, the owner of The Chronicle.

Greg DeSandy, the director of Sales and Marketing at Augusta Marriott at the Convention Center, said in a news release there are 20 events confirmed for the new space.

Comments (22)

TrulyWorried
TrulyWorried 02/23/13 - 12:02 am

Booked Conventions

Wonderful - now let us hope that the commissioners of Richmond County will stay far - far away from anything that has to do with the operation!

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/23/13 - 08:57 am

I wonder what the economic

I wonder what the economic impact on Augusta will be of this Brides & Bouquets display from 1-4 pm Sunday afternoon? This is number 1 of the 20 events scheduled.

countyman
countyman 02/23/13 - 09:25 am

I believe the HFW

I believe the HFW Distributors is the first official convention.

soapy_725
soapy_725 02/23/13 - 09:36 am

For countyman, AKA Deke,

this is comparable to the second coming of Christ. Hallelujah!! Hallelujah!!

Was this event not previously at the James Brown or the Bell? Now they have one less event?

soapy_725
soapy_725 02/23/13 - 09:45 am

Home & Garden at the JB

Brides and Bouquets at the TEE.

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/23/13 - 01:28 pm

Bridal Show Like the JB Arena Use to Have?

Okay, this is not a convention, but it is one of the listed events. It’s hard to keep up with the phrases being used.

What you can't see online is the back page of that Metro section which contains a FULL page color ad for the "event." Ummm....wonder how much that cost? Oh...the first vendor listed just happens to be the Marriott Augusta at the Convention Center (jeez...what a long name to have to write out). The article says the organizer is John Kane who works for TAC Media which is owned by guess who.

Isn't this just all so sweet....the article says there are 40 vendors - it fails to say how much each one will pay to rent their space. The admission charge for the public is $10 in advance or $15 at the door. How much will the "organizers" make on this?

So....the "organizers" sell space to the vendors and collect admission fees from the attendees in their new free $75 Million gift. You taxpayers happy yet?

How much will the city make this Sunday from the use of that space? And let's not forget that bridal shows like this were once part of the bread and butter of the Civic Center. I think people are now starting to figure out how badly the Civic Center has lost events it previously had because of the change of venue to the TEE.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 02/23/13 - 02:08 pm

Bait and Switch

Riverman is correct. Many of the 20 events have previously been held at other Augusta venues including the JBA and Sacred Heart.

I guess it kind of makes sense that the Marriott Hotel is a sponsor of the bridal show. I wonder if they're allowing the patrons of the show to test drive their rooms?

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 02/23/13 - 04:00 pm

Stick a fork in it

This thread is close to being officially declared dead. Nevertheless, I will post here an observation that I hope will revive the thread and generate some discussion:

Paul Simon, president of Augusta Riverfront, LLC, spoke to the Finance Committee of the Augusta Commission this past week. At that meeting he chided committee members and other city dignitaries (such as Fred (What, me worry?) Russell and CVB president Barry (Can’t Get Enough) White) for not spending enough on marketing. Simon said, “You’ve got to market these facilities. Under the contract, we [i.e., Augusta Riverfront, LLC – LL] don’t market it. That’s not part of what we do.”

Of course, the “facilities” Simon is talking about are the older Marriott Conference Center (owned by the citizens of Augusta) and the new TEE Center (owned by the citizens of Augusta).

Let us not forget that the citizens of Augusta also own the older Marriott parking deck (on the north side of Reynolds St.) as well as the new parking deck (on the south side of Reynold St.).

We learned that the agreement approved by the committee this past week will cost taxpayers plenty. In fact, we lose more money when events are held than we lose when the facilities are empty, cold, and dark. So, it would seem to me that we taxpayers should ask our commissioners to stop spending any money on marketing the Conference Center or the TEE. We'll save money by not advertising and we will be cutting our losses on the management agreement.

Willow Bailey
20252
Willow Bailey 02/23/13 - 04:15 pm

Can you run for Mayor, LL?

Can you run for Mayor, LL? Commissioner, anything?
You get it, when others don't.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 02/23/13 - 05:26 pm

Honor

I am honored that you think me suitable, Willow. Just as the Jack Nicholson character in that Marine movie shouted, “You can’t handle the truth”; so the employees of Augusta could not handle Little Lamb.

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/23/13 - 06:03 pm

LL, I'll bet the full page

LL, I'll bet the full page color ad to promote this bridal thing that the city gets not a penny from in fees or business was also paid for by the city. Guess who got the money for that?

Think of the money THEY made on this event. Vendors paying them, the public buying tickets, the city paying for the advertizing (and that really gets into funny stuff since we know who owns the media in question) and none of it costing a penny for those putting on the thing. You can bet there will be many of these mini-events that are not drawing anyone into town or generating any local business. All these mini things could have been done in existing venues that use to generate rental fees for the city. Honestly, for TEE Center advocates, is THIS what you envisioned?

countyman
countyman 02/23/13 - 07:35 pm

Total opposites

I would love to hear of the quote 'many' events held previously at the James Brown arena.

The TEE Center is a convention center and the James Brown Arena is a arena.

I'm sure after the sold out Carrie Underwood concert this year at the James Brown arena. They'll probably move the concert to the TEE Center lol if she returns in 2014.

If I lived in Columbia County I would be more interested in attracting one event at the exhibition hall in Grovetown.

The TEE Center has 20 events, and the $8 million Holiday Inn Express breaks ground March 1st.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 02/23/13 - 07:38 pm

When I last visited this page a couple of hours ago, Riverman, Willow Bailey and myself had one thumbs down at the bottom of the thread. Now we have two. I wonder who gave us the second thumbs down?

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/23/13 - 07:50 pm

Countyman, bridal shows like

Countyman, bridal shows like this were once part of the bread and butter of the Civic Center. Ask Cedric Johnson.

The reason the Grovetown facility was built is because the Savannah Rapids Pavilion is rented EVERY week.

countyman
countyman 02/23/13 - 08:02 pm

The reason the TEE Center was built is due to the lack of space for larger groups. The Savannah Rapids Pavillion is not being rented every single day of the week.

The comeback of the James Brown Arena is mostly geared towards Elton John, Jerry Seinfeld, Mike Epps, Carrie Underwood, Bill Cosby, Lady A, Willie Nelson, Jason Aldean, Brantley Gilbert, etc.

I gave Little Lamb a thumbs down, because I'm still waiting to hear the quote 'many' events.

I gave Riverman one, because of his consistent double standard.

“We started talking to people about this almost three years ago,” Boner said. “Not only did we have several groups that had really outgrown Sa­vannah Rapids, but we’ve got others who’ve contacted us.”

“I think it’s going to be great,” said county commission Chairman Ron Cross. The conference center will open up bookable dates at Savannah Rapids, he added.

''The county hopes the facility’s traffic and proximity to Interstate 20’s Lewiston Road exit will attract a hotel.''

I bet we don't hear anything if one of the events held previously at Savannah Rapids moves to the exhibition hall. I'm sure no mention of the exhibition hall waiting for a new hotel development, and the TEE Center bringing the Holiday Inn Express.

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/23/13 - 08:14 pm

Hahaha...I didn't say every

Hahaha...I didn't say every day of the week. I said every week. Everyone knows I meant weekends.

The TEE Center was built to bring in huge conventions that would "bring in hundreds of millions of dollars to Augusta and cause a large hotel to be constructed."

Countyman, I know you love the downtown area and there's nothing wrong with that. I like it myself. Do you realize how downtown could have been transformed with the money that was spent on the TEE and Laney Walker payoff? That's my gripe. We put all our eggs in one basket and it's not what we were told.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 02/23/13 - 08:27 pm

Most Discussed

There is some strange manipulation going on in the Most Discussed feature. This thread has 14 posts (before this one) and some are quite recent. It does not appear in the Most Discussed feature. In contrast, the Paine College fight story still remains high in Most Discussed, yet it has only 9 posts and they are hours old. Somebody somewhere doesn't want these comments read!

Willow Bailey
20252
Willow Bailey 02/23/13 - 09:00 pm

LOL, River, get straight!!

Willow Bailey
20252
Willow Bailey 02/23/13 - 09:04 pm

county, did you give me

county, did you give me mine...

a) because I live in Evans
b) because I suggested a mayoral or commissioner candidate
c) because you don't like me
d) because you don't like Little Lamb

Sorry, all the above is not an option today:(

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 02/23/13 - 09:07 pm

:-)

Good one, Willow!

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/23/13 - 09:28 pm

Willow said, "LOL, River, get

Willow said, "LOL, River, get straight!! You can't do in an "arena" what you can do in a "Tee"."

I'll never grow up or get straight. But there are definitely overtones with doing it in an arena and TEE thing. I picked right up on that. Heh. Let's visualize. I'll buy Willow's ticket.

Willow Bailey
20252
Willow Bailey 02/23/13 - 09:52 pm

aaaawshucks, River, I can't

aaaawshucks, River, I can't in good conscience take all the credit for that...You might have to trade my ticket in for county's:)

countyman said...."The TEE Center is a convention center and the James Brown Arena is a arena."

KSL
KSL 02/23/13 - 10:47 pm

How many of the scheduled

How many of the scheduled events are new to Augusta?

Willow Bailey
20252
Willow Bailey 02/23/13 - 11:11 pm

KSL, I can only imagine who

KSL, I can only imagine who gave you that TSD, lol.