Government

More News | | | Editor

Augusta alcohol retailers might face fee increase

Eight months since gaining the right to sell package beer, wine or liquor on Sundays, Augusta alcohol retailers might finally see an associated increase in license fees.

Augusta Commission members delayed increasing the fees when they amended city code in March to allow Sunday sales, which voters approved earlier that month, to seek feedback from retailers on the increases.

The time has finally come, Licensing and Inspections Director Rob Sherman said Tuesday, and the department has scheduled a Monday hearing at which the retailers can weigh in on the changes.

The proposed increases will generate $104,120 in additional city revenue and are based on the cost of a Sunday sales license, which was formerly available only to restaurants, according to a proposal from Sherman on the increases.

The increases vary by the size of an establishment and the type of alcohol being sold, but range from a $200 increase for a beer or wine license and a $900 increase for a liquor license.

IF YOU GO

WHAT: Public hearing on alcohol license fees

WHERE: Eighth floor commission chamber, 530 Greene St.

WHEN: 10 a.m. Monday

OpenCurtain
OpenCurtain 11/24/12 - 04:27 pm
So when was the last

time the Augusta Commission did something NEW that did not have a NEW tax attached?

What difference does 1 more day of operations make to a business license that is SOLD BY THE YEAR anyway?

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 11/24/12 - 06:01 pm
It would be hilarious if the

It would be hilarious if the RC merchants refused to buy sunday sales permits and drove people to surrounding areas. Maybe they would rethink the sales tax losses and quit gouging the merchants.

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 11/24/12 - 07:26 pm
Crazy

Itanotherday1: I like your idea. REFUSE to pay it and take them to court! If I have a valid drivers license can the city of Augusta pass an ordinance requiring me to pay more for a special license allowing me to drive in Augusta on Sunday? Sunday is one of the 7 days in the week and that's ALL it is. Do you hear that you crooks on the Augusta county commission? I guess my question is, will I see the city of Augusta leave the dark ages in my lifetime? There once was a time when all people believed in God, and the church ruled. This period of time was called "The Dark Ages"

scgator
scgator 11/24/12 - 08:03 pm
I used to live in

I used to live in Augusta/Richmond County; the year they consolidated, I bailed to South Carolina...........I "knew" things would only get worse, because, like our current president, they promised things would get better !!!!! How long will A/RC taxpayers put up with this garbage.........if it were me, I would start a "grassroots" movement, organize legally, and find a bank where I could open an escrow account in the group's name AND Augusta/Richmond County. EVERY PENNY OF TAXES, FEES, CHARGES that were owed to A/RC would go in there !!! Then when the city gets tired of not having any money, "maybe" they will get the idea............it is legal, and it works, but you have to be serious about it for it to work. My late father-in-law was a city councilman before consolidation, and he once told me that if you want someone's "complete" attention, just get in their billfold !!!!! It will ALWAYS work.

soldout
soldout 11/24/12 - 09:25 pm
I dont understand why

I don't know why anyone drinks with all the damage it does:

1 oz kills 10,000 brain cells
causes 98 billion dollars in lost work time per year
every dollar of tax revenue is offset with 8 dollars of expense caused by alcohol
It is the fourth leading cause of death
creates emotional, social and mental problems
Two drinks a week increase breat cancer 20-30% and 5 drinks increase it 50%.
It is a drug and addicts more than any other drug
1 of 12 that take one drink eventually have an alcohol problem; would you fly on a plane that crashed on every 12th trip.
having alcohol in house effects children. 82% of teenagers drink if parents drank but 72% of teenagers don't drink if their parents don't drink.
Only thing worst than standing by the fresh grave of a child killed by alcohol is to stand there knowing you influenced the child to drink through your drinking.

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 11/24/12 - 09:45 pm
Soldout

I gave you a thumbs up on your post and I whole heartedly agree with you. If alcohol was "discovered" say 50 years ago, there's no way it would be legal today. Problem is that it has been around for thousands of years and too many people can't imagine life without it. In fact I would guess that more than half the people who make the laws are drinkers. My problem is that in the year 2012, ELECTED OFFICIALS think they can charge a business owner EXTRA for conducting ANY legal activity on a Sunday. Augusta, Georgia went hundreds of years banning even the sale of alcohol on Sundays. I just find it hard to believe in all those hundreds of years, not one person with a higher evolved brain stood up and said, "hey people, do you know how crazy this is"?

cm51
cm51 11/24/12 - 10:51 pm
I agree that there is no

I agree that there is no "real" benefit to alcohol consumption; but the big issue here is Augusta "out of control"...........AGAIN !!!!!!!!!!!! If they would just film and syndicate the commission meetings, they could be bigger than Duck Dynasty !!!

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 11/24/12 - 10:58 pm
One more thing

Notice how they schedule the meeting on a Monday morning? That way the productive members of society won't be able to attend and then the crooks on the commission can say "hey we gave you a chance to comment". These guys are pure evil, I tell you.

corgimom
corgimom 11/25/12 - 12:26 am
$900 additional for a liquor

$900 additional for a liquor license. That's less than $3 per day.

But that TEE center elephant has to be paid for somehow!

wayne2410
wayne2410 11/25/12 - 07:37 am
To attribite the dark ages to

To attribite the dark ages to the church and God is the ultimate display of ignorance, a rather common trait to atheists.

owensjef3
owensjef3 11/25/12 - 10:07 am
Hurting small business

Hurting small business

omnomnom
omnomnom 11/25/12 - 10:23 am
drive out business.. do

drive out business.. do anything... anything to keep property taxes low...

nanowerx
nanowerx 11/25/12 - 11:36 am
Always a hurdle

Augusta jut can't let anybody do anything without adding a tax on it. Before you know it we will be getting taxes on taxes. I can't wait to pay my "commented on a local story" tax!!

Also, lets not make this a moral issue, the voters spoke
And Sunday banning of alcohol is gone, get over it and stop trying to control what people do with their lives.

Augusta resident
Augusta resident 11/25/12 - 12:27 pm
I didn't vote for this

I voted to allow Sunday sales not Sunday sales if you had a license to sell on Sunday. We already had that in place. Do restaurants still have to sell so much food to be able to sell beer?. I knew it would cost us to lose the Sunday sales license revenue. Now that it's legal to sell alcohol on Sunday, why is Sunday different from any other day of the week? Why not a Monday sales tax? Anyway, I wonder how many restaurants lost money due to people not having to go there to get a drink? Alcohol and tobacco are the most taxed things in America.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 11/25/12 - 04:12 pm
Tobacco

If Augusta wants to raise revenue, why not increase the local tobacco tax by a dollar a pack?

They can also tack on a dollar tax per container of sugary soft drinks.

Why not create a 10% local tax on restaurant tabs?

I mean, if Augusta government needs more money, why don't they get serious about it?